Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,620 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? (10483 Views)

Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / The Pains Of Living In Port Harcourt (photos) / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by ektbear: 8:31pm On May 17, 2013
I'm considering moving there. Anyone know how much food/accommodation/transportation/etc is likely to cost for a single man per month? In a safe neighborhood where expats live, basically.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 17, 2013
ekt_bear: I'm considering moving there. Anyone know how much food/accommodation/transportation/etc is likely to cost for a single man per month? In a safe neighborhood where expats live, basically.

grin grin grin No comment
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by ektbear: 8:43pm On May 17, 2013
Bros, help a brother out. Or equivalently point me to the Kenyan equivalent of NL
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by julioralph(m): 9:06pm On May 17, 2013
I don't know about the specifics but I can categorically tell you that Nairobi is far more organized than most cities in naija.
Although they've also got some slums too...
But since you're planning to reside in a nice neighbourhood for expatriates, then there's nothing to worry about.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by laykhorn(m): 9:17pm On May 17, 2013
There is a guy... I think Kenyatta or something, I guess he is Kenyan.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by wesley80(m): 10:09pm On May 17, 2013
There's a Kenyan girl, Pendo, I think she might help. You'd be better served in the Travel section I think.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by Ibime(m): 10:31pm On May 17, 2013
ekt_bear: I'm considering moving there. Anyone know how much food/accommodation/transportation/etc is likely to cost for a single man per month? In a safe neighborhood where expats live, basically.

Cost of living in Kenya is insignificant.

£1 will feed you well for a meal

£100 per month will rent you a decent apartment

In terms of safety, nothing to worry.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by ektbear: 11:13pm On May 17, 2013
Ibime: Thanks for the post. I didn't realize the cost of living would be so low there...was expecting more like the equivalent of $400 per month for a good apartment.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by Ibime(m): 11:26pm On May 17, 2013
ekt_bear: Ibime: Thanks for the post. I didn't realize the cost of living would be so low there...was expecting more like the equivalent of $400 per month for a good apartment.

400 is what they charge to tourists on short term stay.

Hit the ground first, then find the real prices. Don't book anything from the internet. Obviously living in expatriate areas might carry a premium but not compared to Western prices.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by Nobody: 11:48pm On May 17, 2013
Err..ekt_bear, what's popping in Kenya? I'm looking to move to Africa or South America in the next few years as an expat as well. But still trying to figure out which country to move to.

Bring me in on the loot in Kenya. wink
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by ektbear: 12:11am On May 18, 2013
shymexx: A somewhat famous tech company is starting up an office in Nairobi, and made me an offer. So I'm considering it...I've heard good things about Nairobi and haven't lived outside of north america as an adult for an extended period of time before.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by ayox2003: 1:06am On May 18, 2013
Well, Nairobi is cool. Go to the travel section, there is a thread on Nairobi by Gallivant. He should be able to help.

Having said that, it would be advisable that u take a visit to Nairobi. Spent coupla days there last year. A dollar equals 82shillings and u could get a very good hotel for as low as 3000shillings (Sagret Hotels and the likes..), approximately $37. Food is also very affordable. Nairobi has a central mall called Nakumatt where u can get all ur groceries, devices blah blah blah. Cool weather as at November. They have the fastest internet speed in Africa. Really cool place. For 7days, $800 would be enough for feeding, hotel bills and the safari if you're a very big spender without a partner.

Frawzey
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by Nobody: 1:23am On May 18, 2013
ekt_bear: shymexx: A somewhat famous tech company is starting up an office in Nairobi, and made me an offer. So I'm considering it...I've heard good things about Nairobi and haven't lived outside of north america as an adult for an extended period of time before.

Thanks for that.

Working as an expat in Africa seems pretty cool especially if the company taking you there is willing to pay using the American income percentile. You'll spend less and have more to save.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by RickyRoss1(m): 2:09am On May 18, 2013
'

I have only been to Kenya on vacation and its a lovely place especially Mombasa and Nairobi.
Hotels are cheaper and cleaner than Nigerian hotels bc they take tourism very serious in Kenya as they have not have oil.

The best way to go about this is if you are on facebook try contacting some Kenyan females and ask questions. You can try Kenyan blogs/forums as well. Try to get as much info as possible before you make that final decision. And pls remember NEVER to send money to anyone you have NEVER meet in person for whatever reasons.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by Nobody: 2:44am On May 18, 2013
ekt_bear: Bros, help a brother out. Or equivalently point me to the Kenyan equivalent of NL

In general, cost of living in many countries in Africa is way too low vis a vis what's obtainable in the states. Rent in many places (Nice flat where you live like a king) is on yearly basis and what you pay per year is more or less equivalent to four months' rent in US. When it comes to feeding, it's like you are spending nothing in Africa.

Go and enjoy!
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by ektbear: 2:37am On Jun 04, 2013
So it is starting to look that I'll be staying in yankee. I love America too much smiley
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by pepsia(f): 12:32am On Jun 07, 2013
Can nigerian get visa on arrival at kenya airport
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by ayox2003: 7:09am On Jun 07, 2013
pepsia: Can nigerian get visa on arrival at kenya airport

Sure. Submit your printed form with $50.

Frawzey
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by Zsupuk(f): 9:29pm On Jun 07, 2013
i dont know if this can help u but kenyas real estate is kinda high especially in the expat areas do budget for on average about $800 per month nairobi food isnt as high as in nigeria but its up there. What u will get is security, constant power supply, a great apt with pool gym, best weather, friendly people and do expect alot of female attention we kinda foreign crazy. It is fun, expat here live a good life. Good luck.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by VanezFitz: 3:37pm On Jun 14, 2013
Nairobi is the expensive than other African countries
for a single person,

Electricity : Kshs 1,000 pm
Water : Kshs 500 pm
Grocessry : Kshs 8,000
Transport by Car: Minimum charges of Kshs 200
Outside food: for 2 persons including drinks (beer, cool drinks etc.) it may cost you Ksh 3,000 to 5,000

Hope you got some useful information. Have a great time!
Re: Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? by cutieme(m): 10:02am On Mar 16, 2015
@ zsupuk please can I relate with u on whatsapp or Facebook?

(1) (Reply)

Ukrainian Crisis: 13 Out Of 19 Nigerians Detained In Poland Released / Airlines Cancelled 134 Flights In Nigeria In One Month / Government To Train Candidates On Rail Engineering In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.