Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,792 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:45 PM

No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? (1145 Views)

The Monitor Lizard And Bush Rats We Roasted For Dinner Today (PHOTOS) / Suggest Another Nigerian Meal That Can Replace RICE On Festive Occasions. / Why Do Nigerians Cook Rice On Sundays?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by nwandolina(f): 12:50am On Apr 24, 2008
Fellow nairalanders,rice is now becoming a rare commodity and sale is being rationed worldwide.
You don't believe me see this.

Rice is being rationed in Britain as shopkeepers limit supplies to their customers to prevent hoarding. Restrictions on sales in Asian neighbourhoods are reported as emergency measures are taken by governments worldwide to combat the soaring cost of rice and prevent outbreaks of food rioting.

Tilda, the biggest importer of basmati rice, said that its buyers had resorted to restricting their customers to two bags per person.

“It is happening in the cash and carries,” said Jona-than Calland, of Tilda.

“It’s to stop people from hoarding. I heard from our salesforce that one lady went into a cash and carry and tried to buy eight 20kg bags.”

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3803776.ece
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by nwandolina(f): 12:53am On Apr 24, 2008
The global food crisis is hitting consumers in the USA, with the nation's top retailer announcing that it's rationing rice because of "supply and demand trends," according to Reuters.

“We are limiting the sale of Jasmine, Basmati and Long Grain White Rices to four bags per member visit,” Sam's Club, a division of Wal-Mart, says in a statement cited by Fox Business News. “This is effective immediately in all of our U.S. clubs, where quantity restrictions are allowed by law.”

This follows reports of rationing at Costco.

The New York Sun says a sign above the rice at one of that wholesale club's stores said: "Due to the limited availability of rice, we are limiting rice purchases based on your prior purchasing history."

The U.N.'s World Food Program blames a "silent tsunami" of global hunger on the rising price of food.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/04/american-retail.html?csp=34
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by 4Him1(m): 12:57am On Apr 24, 2008
3 bags of rice this weekend, where's that my jotter?
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by nwandolina(f): 12:58am On Apr 24, 2008
people like me that don't swallow eba,farina,pounded yam or semolina are in trouble.
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by TheSly: 1:00am On Apr 24, 2008
Go and eat ur akpu then.
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by nwandolina(f): 1:01am On Apr 24, 2008
4 Him:

3 bags of rice this weekend, where's that my jotter?

Come Saturday I hope to hit Walmart,Sam's club and costco for 4 bags each.
At least I'll have enough rice to last us well into next year.
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by nwandolina(f): 1:02am On Apr 24, 2008
The Sly:

Go and eat your akpu then.

LOL.
Akpu is akpu ,rice is rice.
They serve different purposes
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by Nobody: 2:13am On Apr 24, 2008
I will not eat garri/akpu oo. They should better know what they are doing. Had fried rice today anyway tongue tongue
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by iice(f): 10:09am On Apr 24, 2008
Not overly much concerned coz i don't like the thing too much sef. . .i like my poundo and eba just fine.
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by omoge(f): 2:49pm On Apr 24, 2008
sign of time

eat all the rice you care to eat today wink
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by Nobody: 12:49am On Apr 25, 2008
if rice becomes a rare commodity,what do they want people like me to do cry cry cry cry *chaiii im finished* cry cry cry cry
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by Lady2(f): 1:30am On Apr 25, 2008
yes more pounded yam and eba for everybody.

I love my iyan and eba and amala o.
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by TopBooty(f): 2:32am On Apr 25, 2008
Not overly much concerned because i don't like the thing too much sef. . .i like my poundo and eba just fine.

That one don increase too. My only problem with the food prices is that while it may come back to normal everywhere, it can never go down again in Naija. Whatever goes up in Nigeria, hangs there even if you bring a ladder for it.
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 27, 2008
see fake aje butters. see them.
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by elizabetta(f): 10:22am On May 12, 2008
Despite sometimes i get tired of eating rice,i don't know if i can ever stop eating it.
Re: No More Rice On Our Dinner Plates ? by abujabooks(f): 2:32pm On May 14, 2008
My wholesaler told me the same last week.

(1) (Reply)

Which Brand Readily Comes To Mind When You Hear Milk? / How Do You Prepare Moi Moi. / Top Spots In Ikeja For The Perfect Cocktail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.