Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,151 members, 7,953,570 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:19 PM

Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks (1220 Views)

How To Solve Internet Connection Problem On Modern Combat 5 Blackout / Internet Usage On Nigeria’s GSM Networks Increases To 81 Million / MTN Reviews Call Tariff: Call Rates As Low As 10kobo Across All Networks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by thelastPope(m): 11:54pm On May 18, 2013
I decided to write this to clarify some confusion from a previous thread. This is an assessment of the GSM networks and their BB Internet connections

MTN

Now N1, 000 for I month BB Complete subscription
It has a data cap of 3.5GB
You can use it on your modem or Android or Iphone
It has good coverage but can be very slow for 2.5G phones. MTN didnt properly deploy 2.5G before moving to 3G. Their customer service has also improved. I used to hate MTN Internet. Infact, it used to be the worst, but it has improved greatly in the last 2 months. They probably sat up because of number portability

GLO

BB Complete plan is 1, 400
It has a data cap of 3.5GB. They recently reduced it to 1GB but the rage from customers made them put it back on 3.5GB. I really dont know why they are not offering more bandwidth since they are the only network with their own backbone. MTN, Airtel and Etisalat actually get part of their Internet from GLO One cable and part from the NITEL cable
You cannot use it on your modem and Android.
Glo has about the best Nationwide coverage of all the networks. You can get 3G almost every where you go. You can drive for hundreds of kilometers without your connection going off. But they recently are beginning to piss me off. They have a terrible, powerless, customer service that cant help you. They seem too arrogant to me.
Their connection is very fast and stable. Glo and Etisalat have by far the most stable connections. Glo has the most secure system too

Airtel

Airtel were the darling of BB subscription for a long time because of the ability to use the subscription on your modem or Android/Iphone device. But their 1GB data cap was my biggest put off. They have good coverage but not as wide as MTN or Glo. Their 3G service is good and they can be very fast where their coverage is good. They are also very good on 2.5 phones.
They have a good customer service that can be accessed easily. But I hate the fact that many of their services are not automated. Imagine that you have to call their customer service to deactivate your BB subscription when you exceed your data cap and you cant browse anymore. They have refused to provide a code for deactivating ones BB subscription. Same goes for some other services. Many times, you have to visit their care center to do simple tasks that could have been done by simply sending a text to a short code
I also dont know why they have refused to increase their data cap.

Etisalat

These guys are the most dynamic of the lot. They have about the fastest Internet connection and unlimited data for BB subscription. The down side is that you cannot use it on your modem or Android. They are very stable and reliable. Anyone who says they have no good coverage is talking bull. Their coverage is very good. Though not as big as MTN or Glo, but except you are visiting remote villages, you will be fine.
I do not like their customer service. They have to step it up there. I like their flexibility and dynamism in their services. From day 1, they have been very innovative with their services.
I hate how they switch to pay as you go immediately your plan expires.

Overall, if you consider all the factors, my rating for BB subscriptions would be

1. Etisalat
2. MTN
3. Glo
4. Airtel

for those who were asking how to use MTN on your modem or Android, here it is:

APN Settings:

Connection Name: MTN 3G
Dial Number: *99#
APN: blackberry.net

Dats all! Enjoy!
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by asudan: 12:31am On May 19, 2013
for where, mtn service as not improve please speak for yourself and not generalise the whole thing becauseyour observation although to have been based on some selected cities and town.
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by thelastPope(m): 1:12am On May 19, 2013
asudan: for where, mtn service as not improve please speak for yourself and not generalise the whole thing becauseyour observation although to have been based on some selected cities and town.

I never said they were perfect. That they havent improved in your area doesnt mean they havent improved elsewhere. I have never liked MTN connection but recently, they have improved. I just came back from a journey where I moved through several states and they have really improved. The last time I traveled, they were rubbish. I think my analysis showed the pros and cons of all the networks. They all have their issues. None of them is perfect
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by luluosas(m): 6:37am On May 19, 2013
Just a point on Glo.
Presently, Glo doesn't have 3G service everywhere but, in selected cities and towns for now. On speed. Yes, Glo have good connections speed and they do beat Airtel 3.75G network in my location with their 2G network.
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by Jeffy1206(m): 7:37am On May 19, 2013
Quiet agree with de mtn network. Who is saying dey have not impruve abeg pack well... For 3weeks now i have not seen my network bar dropped for so long. But dey gat to try and cover more areas with deir 3g cos is annoying with deir edge although i'll choose it over airtel 3g. Hey can u xplain how deir bbcday works cos i always pull more dan 500mb in a day so i dnt undastand de fair usage here, unlike glos'
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by mrakin(m): 7:42am On May 19, 2013
This is a very honest assessment. Mr lastpope, you are
truely popeful (new word-mine). Thanks. We need honest people like you on NL.
Meanwhile I must confess that I have a lot to learn from this site.
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by best4best(m): 9:47am On May 19, 2013
thelastPope: I decided to write this to clarify some confusion from a previous thread. This is an assessment of the GSM networks and their BB Internet connections

MTN

Now N1, 000 for I month BB Complete subscription
It has a data cap of 3.5GB
You can use it on your modem or Android or Iphone
It has good coverage but can be very slow for 2.5G phones. MTN didnt properly deploy 2.5G before moving to 3G. Their customer service has also improved. I used to hate MTN Internet. Infact, it used to be the worst, but it has improved greatly in the last 2 months. They probably sat up because of number portability

GLO

BB Complete plan is 1, 400
It has a data cap of 3.5GB. They recently reduced it to 1GB but the rage from customers made them put it back on 3.5GB. I really dont know why they are not offering more bandwidth since they are the only network with their own backbone. MTN, Airtel and Etisalat actually get part of their Internet from GLO One cable and part from the NITEL cable
You cannot use it on your modem and Android.
Glo has about the best Nationwide coverage of all the networks. You can get 3G almost every where you go. You can drive for hundreds of kilometers without your connection going off. But they recently are beginning to piss me off. They have a terrible, powerless, customer service that cant help you. They seem too arrogant to me.
Their connection is very fast and stable. Glo and Etisalat have by far the most stable connections. Glo has the most secure system too

Airtel

Airtel were the darling of BB subscription for a long time because of the ability to use the subscription on your modem or Android/Iphone device. But their 1GB data cap was my biggest put off. They have good coverage but not as wide as MTN or Glo. Their 3G service is good and they can be very fast where their coverage is good. They are also very good on 2.5 phones.
They have a good customer service that can be accessed easily. But I hate the fact that many of their services are not automated. Imagine that you have to call their customer service to deactivate your BB subscription when you exceed your data cap and you cant browse anymore. They have refused to provide a code for deactivating ones BB subscription. Same goes for some other services. Many times, you have to visit their care center to do simple tasks that could have been done by simply sending a text to a short code
I also dont know why they have refused to increase their data cap.

Etisalat

These guys are the most dynamic of the lot. They have about the fastest Internet connection and unlimited data for BB subscription. The down side is that you cannot use it on your modem or Android. They are very stable and reliable. Anyone who says they have no good coverage is talking bull. Their coverage is very good. Though not as big as MTN or Glo, but except you are visiting remote villages, you will be fine.
I do not like their customer service. They have to step it up there. I like their flexibility and dynamism in their services. From day 1, they have been very innovative with their services.
I hate how they switch to pay as you go immediately your plan expires.

Overall, if you consider all the factors, my rating for BB subscriptions would be

1. Etisalat
2. MTN
3. Glo
4. Airtel

for those who were asking how to use MTN on your modem or Android, here it is:

APN Settings:

Connection Name: MTN 3G
Dial Number: *99#
APN: blackberry.net

Dats all! Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, you can deactivate your airtel bb subscription by simply sending "deactivate to 440"
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by thelastPope(m): 9:53am On May 19, 2013
best4best:

Thanks for the info, you can deactivate your airtel bb subscription by simply sending "deactivate to 440"

Good. That is better. It was very frustrating having to call customer service for such a simple task. I actually have fought the guys at customer service several times because of this. The data cap is still very poor. Airtel used to be my best network but they dont seem to realise the competition is stiff now. They need to step it up. 1 GB is ridiculous.

My rating for the networks was based on the following:

1. Data cap
2. Speed
3. Coverage
4. Stability and reliability
5. Easy of use and access
6. Automation
7. Customer care

Etisalat beats everyone for now with their unlimited data and lighting fast speed. This is so on point. I hate the fact that it cant be used on my modem or Android but the unlimited data and speed is too juicy to ignore. So I simply connect it to my laptop and use blackberry desktop software to connect to it as a modem and browse. Glo would have been second for me but for the fact you cant use theirs on your modem or Android phones, MTN comes second. Airtel comes last because of their 1 GB cap. It is ridiculous
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by jmaine: 10:19am On May 19, 2013
@ OP, there is an existing code to deactivate BB subscription on Airtel

It's simply == SMS deactivate to 440

That's all grin
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by thelastPope(m): 12:23pm On May 19, 2013
jmaine: @ OP, there is an existing code to deactivate BB subscription on Airtel

It's simply == SMS deactivate to 440

That's all grin

There was no existing code the last time I subscribed which was about 3 months ago. I had to call customer service and chide them for not having a code. If it is working now, then thats fine. Aitel was my best for a while.
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by TechWalker007: 3:26pm On May 19, 2013
I do not entirely agree to the saying that Etisalat is fast. In my area, it is the worst of all networks.

My rating would be:

MTN
Glo
Airtel
Etisalat
Re: Current Internet Connection Status And Ratings For GSM Networks by benzion72(m): 3:27pm On May 19, 2013
Etisalat has the worst speed and coverage in Ibadan

(1) (Reply)

Any News About The Blackberry Messenger On Andriod / 5 Secrets Every Smartphone User Needs To Know / PAPDAN To Launches Made-in-nigeria Phones.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.