Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,286 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? (15020 Views)

Freaks Of Nature(world's Biggest Tortoise,snake And Horse) / So Is It Here I Should Come And Say Hello / Vexxy - guess I should introduce myself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 22, 2013
come...........pictures of the tortoise plssssssssssss lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by Feedmemore(f): 6:05pm On May 22, 2013
slyfoxxjoe: OP you will leave this thread more confused than u came. Speak to qualified zoologist or vet about this. Everybody is just saying their own here
Gbam!

Everybody don turn vet on top baby tortoise. cheesy tongue
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by binhozie(m): 6:06pm On May 22, 2013
Dovahkiin: Feed it meat

OP said tortoise not NINJA TURTLE shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by harlos: 6:07pm On May 22, 2013
delors:
Amazing! Never seen tortoise this fast n aggressive. Is it yours?
i think the tortoise has suffer alot for food
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 22, 2013
I have actually fed a baby tortoise earthworms,and it had this glee in its eyes biting them off from my hands..well it wasn't mine,so I don't really know much,buh u'll be beta off talking to someone who know a lot bout animals,also ask google,I got some info onthis page too buh its abt general care
http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/tips-for-raising-baby-tortoises/
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by BestmanNnamdi(m): 6:51pm On May 22, 2013
changes1: What Kind Of Food Should I Give My Small Tortoise?

Hello House, I picked a small tortoise at the site where I was posted for my PPA in Niger State. I cant tell how old it is but it is about the size of a man's palm. it is very active and i want to keep it. The problem is I don't know what kind of food to give it. Can any kind person help with good info?

Thanks.
sorry, but I must ask, Of what use is tortoise?
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by imperiouxx(m): 7:39pm On May 22, 2013
Bestman Nnamdi: sorry, but I must ask, Of what use is tortoise?

As pet.
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by vet707(m): 8:44pm On May 22, 2013
@ OP, the food to give your new found pet depends on so many factors such as its species, age, sex, predilection among many other factors. So I would suggest you post a picture here to get an idea of what it looks like. Please note that the terrestrial tortoises are basically herbivores.
2. Whether it is a forest type or savanna type, it will surely need a lot of fibers and calcium intake especially since you said yours is a young (juvenile) one. I would strongly advice you that @ the moment you do away with any food item rich in protein but low in fiber and calcium such as beans, ground nut, boiled egg, meat,pet food (canned) etc.
3. Similarly, please note that lettuce, cabbage, some fruits (especially very sugary ones) can be very dangerous to the tortoise health as they can cause diarrhea, colic, renal failure, liver damage etc.
4. Please revisit the site where you found the animal and check out the type of vegetation thriving there, bring back some different types of grasses & forages you can get and try feeding them first to know its preference. You can as well supplement the diet with weeds such as water leaf, tridax, hibiscus flower & leaf, maize or sorghum chaff.
5. Furthermore, your pet needs a considerable amount of time in the sun for Vit D (D3) production which is so essential for its development.
PS: you need to be very conscious of how you handle the tortoise because it can be a potential source of Salmonellosis, Campylobacteriosis, fungal infections, mites & tick infestation etc to humans around (I remember when ticks infested the Royal python - a crowd puller we used to have in UI zoo, many would not know this. This infestation contributed to the death of the poor python).

I hope this helps.
Vet707

4 Likes

Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by touchmeder: 9:07pm On May 22, 2013
cyrilwater: pls return dat tortoise to dat same location.is a spiritual.

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy smiley smiley smiley smiley What is relatively unknown or uncommon quickly becomes a spiritual issue
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by okpukmbat: 9:23pm On May 22, 2013
hmmmmm ........pawpaw is the best
stuff. you can also try something like Gaga ice cream made from bossom milk very nutritious. Good luck Bro.

1 Like

Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by wale50cent: 10:00pm On May 22, 2013
changes1:

It cannot breastfeed cos its not a mammal. wait o! Where did you school?

He attended OLODO PRIVATE SCH
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by obi123: 10:02pm On May 22, 2013
maxwello.yg:

Tortoise is a reptile for Christ's sake. Reptiles eat flesh! nor be so guys?

some are carnivores and some are herbivores
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 22, 2013
totis love to eat cocoayam.
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by bigiyaro(m): 10:38pm On May 22, 2013
J12: The tortoise no dey drink garri?
lolz my ribs won break ooo, pls add kuli kuli n or groundnut

1 Like

Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by dramendra: 11:07pm On May 22, 2013
tortoise is a domestic animal, I own one when I was much younger, you can feed it with rice, tuwo, eba and bread, but mind you, tortoise shit dey smell wella oooooooo...
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by aquabeing: 11:17pm On May 22, 2013
[quote author=gluv01]Feed your baby tortoise everyday with fresh plants, flowers and leafy vegetables such as cabbage, spinach, and dandelions. Dust the food with vitamin and calcium supplements two or three times a week. Some flowers are toxic to tortoises, so ask your vet which ones to avoid. You can also include a small amount of fruit. Your pet will also need a constant supply of clean drinking water. Use a wide, shallow dish so it can drink and bathe without risk of drowning.

Health: Tortoises should have few health problems if they are cared for properly. Look out for shell distortion or softness as this could be a sign of vitamin or calcium deficiency. Make sure the plants in the enclosure are free from pesticides. Consult your vet if your pet loses it's appetite or if it's faeces aren't dark and firm. Tortoises should be micro chipped by a vet when the base of the shell reaches 10 centimetres in length, which will be at about 4 years old. At this age they will need an outdoor enclosure during the summer, and will hibernate in winter. Consult your vet beforehand for advice and to check your tortoise is the correct size and weight.

Google can help ooo
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by danjalingo: 11:41pm On May 22, 2013
Caracta: Ok lemme help. Feed it with things like carrot, plantain, cabbage, beans, peas, lettuce, apple, pear, tomato, melon, grape, etc. For more, check tortoisecentre.com

semo n vegitable soup will be gud too. with aa lot of stock n dry fish wiperiwinkle, snail n shrimp. sometimes u can try isi ewu or nkwobi wit red wine or at least smirnof ice. it is well wit ur tortoise.
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by addicted268(f): 12:14am On May 23, 2013
gramci:

Facebook international school markudi
this is why I love nairaland.crazy humor cheesy cheesy cheesy .....@OP,last time I was at The Nigerian Conservative Garden,Lekki,I saw a lot of tortoise eating grass,infact happily munching grass.maybe that ll work for your new found pet.goodluck!
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by aliyu03(m): 7:55am On May 23, 2013
Tolexander: This is a baby tortoise!
I suggest you look for its mother around the place you saw it so that the mother can help in breastfeeding it's baby.

Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by Two4Two(m): 7:57am On May 23, 2013
If you are confused on what to do with your baby tortoise,You better give it to a native doctor to do some jazz for you.
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by Royver(m): 8:57am On May 23, 2013
Tolexander: This is a baby tortoise!
I suggest you look for its mother around the place you saw it so that the mother can help in breastfeeding it's baby.

Bwahahahahahaha....!*chokes on akara*
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by haconni(m): 11:02am On May 23, 2013
Before she picked the tortoise didn't u know u were going to feed it? Well u can give her breast milk or pomo or better ask a native doctor.

1 Like

Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by dasparrow: 4:19pm On May 23, 2013
fruityjojo: what do u mean by sea nd exotic animals Lol. Tortoise is a land animal! Turtle is a sea animal. Know d diff 2day. Tortoise should eat flesh nd vegetables.

Oh okay, thanks for the correction grin

But in the united States, veterinary doctors classify both sea turtles and tortoise under 'exotics' I believe. Anyways, I am not a veterinarian so hopefully a vet in the house will tell the OP what to feed his dear tortoise.
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by bigboy3: 5:10pm On May 23, 2013
i used to have 3 . had them for about 5 years....u should keep it in water sometimes, mined used to eat fish and meat....How can I get one?
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by harlos: 5:20pm On May 23, 2013
So did u kill them or sell them
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by Ndkings1(m): 5:53pm On May 23, 2013
@poster, u no get work oh
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by Nobody: 10:26am On May 24, 2013
bigboy3: i used to have 3 . had them for about 5 years....u should keep it in water sometimes, mined used to eat fish and meat....How can I get one?

raw meat and fish?
Re: Foods I Should Give My Small Tortoise? by vet707(m): 6:11pm On May 25, 2013
Oh okay, thanks for the correction grin

But in the united States, veterinary doctors classify both sea turtles and tortoise under 'exotics' I believe. Anyways, I am not a veterinarian so hopefully a vet in the house will tell the OP what to feed his dear tortoise.[/quote]

You've not done any wrong in classifying the tortoise as an exotic pet. I'm a vet & I believe I'd done some justice to the issues raised by the OP.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pipeline Explosion Rocks Sagamu / DEAL: Get The Perfect Niched Nigerian Instagram Accounts For Your Brand / Why Women Are Like Crabs In A Bucket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.