Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,224 members, 7,811,621 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? (1852 Views)

You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? by onyfrank: 11:11pm On May 19, 2013
They were schoolmates and agemates, they play together, party together, dine together, and all and ecetra together. He knows and called him 'stone' during those days. But he just got employed by this classmate/agemate who is the owner of the firm. Now he is finding it difficult to be answering any question or command with 'yes sir, ok sir, excuse me sir.'
Advice
Re: Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? by bigt2(m): 11:24pm On May 19, 2013
Respect is reciprocal!!
Ethically, the boss demands some respect. He is pinned, he have to do it and see what his boss will say (if they were true friends).
In this life, some people are served what they dont deserve; its now up to them to confront it, live with it, or flee from it! -big-T!!cool
in my office, there is a man who is older than our oga. He says yes sir,etc everytime and oga also reciprocates!!

1 Like

Re: Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? by Phonon: 10:09am On May 22, 2013
So if your friend becomes President and he/she makes you Minister,you will call him/her by his/her first name?Even in private, you will still refer to him/her as "Mr President" or 'Madam President', unless he/she says you should speak on a first name basis.IT IS JUST PROTOCOL.

1 Like

Re: Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? by Sammy107d(m): 12:07pm On May 22, 2013
Nigeria and it's power distance. It is not protocol to say Sir or Ma. Never worked in a place where everyone is not addressed by their first name... Even in Nigeria. Maybe it's more the culture in academia, but even then, not when you're obviously peers.
Re: Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? by Nobody: 8:17am On May 26, 2013
Sammy107_d: Nigeria and it's power distance. It is not protocol to say Sir or Ma. Never worked in a place where everyone is not addressed by their first name... Even in Nigeria. Maybe it's more the culture in academia, but even then, not when you're obviously peers.
If the ethical standards(whether formal or informal) in the organisation require such..........why not ''Yes sir''.......for a formal pal!!!

I would even ''Yes sir'' him first until He asked me to stop and If He never ask me to stop ''I would continue ''Yes sir'' him !!!
Re: Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? by Sammy107d(m): 9:50am On May 26, 2013
Have to say that's an unfortunate organizational culture. If it's the culture one finds himself, then sure. i just disagree that it's the blanket address symbolising respect. If someone respects you, you'd know beyond sirs or ma. For me, its getting the required work done and on time. Generally, not playing around the quality of work and deadlines I assign. Also being open to learning and asking questions. I'd like for this thread to take the casual/dynamic workplace vs formal/structured workplace direction. Really interested in learning what people prefer.
Re: Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? by Nobody: 11:07am On May 26, 2013
It is not an unfortunate organisational culture.

There is this english called Dynamism and versatility...........this is a quality I believed one must possessed in order to fit into any role in an organisation!!!

If u find urself in the ''Military'' u must ''yes sir'' even the ''last born'' of ur immediate sister if such has Higher rank ....!!!

While in some organisation,u can adress ur boss by his first name (been in d shoe before) .......thats the norm!!!

So,whatever Ideally makes you get things done even ''yes sir'' do and say it !!
Re: Can You Answer "Yes Sir" To Your Classmate/agemate Who Is Now Your Boss? by dahmie2013: 1:15pm On May 27, 2013
I'm so sorry but he has no choice dear, that is what is ethically obtainable in the work environment here in naija, U must use "sir" or "ma" for ur boss. If he doesnt want to, then he should go set up his own company. But sincerely, does saying"sir" or "ma" change anything? If they are truly friends, it shouldn't mar their relationship he will also be a boss someday. Life is in phases, men are in sizes. #MyTake#

(1) (Reply)

Consulting Capable So Far / Halliburton Aptitude Test / NTA TV College Admission Enquiry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.