Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,834 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. (2263 Views)

Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" / FFK Was Very Right This Time..be Warned! / BREAKING NEWS: Bokoharam Sends Out Letter (please Be Warned -photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by Ugokel(m): 2:24pm On May 20, 2013
International Fraud: NSC Warns Charcoal Exporters

The Nigeria Shippers Council (NSC), through its Cargo Defence Fund (CDF) initiative has once again warned Nigeria charcoal exporters to quickly stop exportation of charcoal to European buyers following what it described as a “killers trend" which has characterized the business internationally as well as locally. Speaking to the media recently in her Lagos office, Ms Azuka Ogo, Secretary, CDF lamented that Nigerian charcoal exporters are losing money daily by being busy shipping hard wood charcoal products to European buyers who do not pay at the end of the day.

"As at the end of 2011 we had a total of 27 cases of nonpayment from various buyers from Poland, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Germany and others. As at this February 2013, the cases have gone up to 41 despite an alert we ran in 2012 warning charcoal exporters who export to these buyers to desist," Ogo said.

"What is the essence of engaging in a business that after spending at the end you will not get paid?," She queried.

According to her, 447,576, 000 euros and N3,400,000 totaling about N100,076,416.00 is being owed to various exporters from Nigeria by these buyers. She said that her office which was set up by the Nigeria Shippers Council to assist exporters and importers solve international business problems with their overseas partners has moved into the cases and discovered that while most of these companies are not able or are unwilling to pay for the goods they have received from the Nigerian exporters, most of them are busy arranging for new businesses with unsuspecting fresh Nigerian exporters.

“It is just very worrisome! After the exporters complained to us, we began to reach out to these buyers through diplomatic means only to discover that while some of the buyers are inaccessible, or unwilling to pay, or unable to pay, they are just soliciting new export deals with local exporters now with new business identities", she added.

The CDF chief went further to highlight that one major reasons why these exporters fell into the hands of these unstable buyers was because they exported on what is called 'Open account' in the financial circle. By this payment arrangement, an exporter can expect to be paid after he has exported and sent shipment documents to the buyer. She grieved that once the buyers lay hands on the shipment documents they renege since the ownership of goods has been transferred to them thereby leaving the exporter totally handicapped. Ogo, has warned exporters that this business that operate on Cash Against Documents (CAD) is unsecure and so Nigerian exporters generally are strongly advised to not only renege from shipping charcoal to Europe but also to spread this information to other uninformed exporters.

In the meantime, the NSC has categorically stated that while it is particularly worrisome that some of the debtor foreigners, while unwilling to pay what they currently owe are soliciting businesses from other unsuspecting Nigerian exporters and using completely new business identities, therefore local exporters are warned to desist from the trade.

Cargo Defence Fund (CDF) is a project of the Nigerian Shippers' Council set up with the approval of the Federal Government of Nigeria to assist Nigerian importers and exporters in the pursuit of their claims recoveries and legal remedies. It is a public-private synergy, a nonprofit company limited by guarantee. The Fund acts as a Mutual Scheme for Nigerian importers and exporters and is managed and administered by a private sector led Board of Trustees. CDF also handles all export and import business contracts and consultancies in line with the international standards and practice for both importers and exporters.
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by Rosaaden: 11:16am On Dec 17, 2013
please kindly post the names of this fraudalent foreign buyers, so prospective/ unsuspecting exporters can be wary of them.
Ugokel: International Fraud: NSC Warns Charcoal Exporters

The Nigeria Shippers Council (NSC), through its Cargo Defence Fund (CDF) initiative has once again warned Nigeria charcoal exporters to quickly stop exportation of charcoal to European buyers following what it described as a “killers trend" which has characterized the business internationally as well as locally. Speaking to the media recently in her Lagos office, Ms Azuka Ogo, Secretary, CDF lamented that Nigerian charcoal exporters are losing money daily by being busy shipping hard wood charcoal products to European buyers who do not pay at the end of the day.

"As at the end of 2011 we had a total of 27 cases of nonpayment from various buyers from Poland, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Germany and others. As at this February 2013, the cases have gone up to 41 despite an alert we ran in 2012 warning charcoal exporters who export to these buyers to desist," Ogo said.

"What is the essence of engaging in a business that after spending at the end you will not get paid?," She queried.

According to her, 447,576, 000 euros and N3,400,000 totaling about N100,076,416.00 is being owed to various exporters from Nigeria by these buyers. She said that her office which was set up by the Nigeria Shippers Council to assist exporters and importers solve international business problems with their overseas partners has moved into the cases and discovered that while most of these companies are not able or are unwilling to pay for the goods they have received from the Nigerian exporters, most of them are busy arranging for new businesses with unsuspecting fresh Nigerian exporters.

“It is just very worrisome! After the exporters complained to us, we began to reach out to these buyers through diplomatic means only to discover that while some of the buyers are inaccessible, or unwilling to pay, or unable to pay, they are just soliciting new export deals with local exporters now with new business identities", she added.

The CDF chief went further to highlight that one major reasons why these exporters fell into the hands of these unstable buyers was because they exported on what is called 'Open account' in the financial circle. By this payment arrangement, an exporter can expect to be paid after he has exported and sent shipment documents to the buyer. She grieved that once the buyers lay hands on the shipment documents they renege since the ownership of goods has been transferred to them thereby leaving the exporter totally handicapped. Ogo, has warned exporters that this business that operate on Cash Against Documents (CAD) is unsecure and so Nigerian exporters generally are strongly advised to not only renege from shipping charcoal to Europe but also to spread this information to other uninformed exporters.

In the meantime, the NSC has categorically stated that while it is particularly worrisome that some of the debtor foreigners, while unwilling to pay what they currently owe are soliciting businesses from other unsuspecting Nigerian exporters and using completely new business identities, therefore local exporters are warned to desist from the trade.

Cargo Defence Fund (CDF) is a project of the Nigerian Shippers' Council set up with the approval of the Federal Government of Nigeria to assist Nigerian importers and exporters in the pursuit of their claims recoveries and legal remedies. It is a public-private synergy, a nonprofit company limited by guarantee. The Fund acts as a Mutual Scheme for Nigerian importers and exporters and is managed and administered by a private sector led Board of Trustees. CDF also handles all export and import business contracts and consultancies in line with the international standards and practice for both importers and exporters.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by Greatihex(m): 11:43am On Dec 17, 2013
Mods. FP pls.
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by Greatihex(m): 11:56am On Dec 17, 2013
C them nah. Developing countries. After we go dy tlk lyk say naija worst pass.
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by DahomeyAmazon(f): 12:06pm On Dec 17, 2013
White man's fraud, i hope or government blows this out of proportion like the blow ours
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by jmaine: 12:19pm On Dec 17, 2013
With the dearth of Forest management practices in Nigeria, why should any sane Nigerian be engaging in charcoal exportation. You are depleting your natural and generational resources for some cheap and worthless cash. angry

It is even made worse that the ecosystem destroyers don't even get paid for their ignorance. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by ifyalways(f): 12:26pm On Dec 17, 2013
They didn't start scamming us today oh .

I've been scammed by one oyibo woman I met through penpals when I was a teen. I suffered to gather and send her a bag of cowries and shells,she never sent my payment. Worst part is that I saved and starved (my pocket money) so I could raise the NIPOST fees.
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by kingagropro1: 12:34pm On Dec 17, 2013
The CDC should go a step further by publishing the names of these buyers in Europe. So they can be blacklisted. I have always warned exporters when i train against engaging in contracts with Cash Against Document (CAD) contract terms.

I have credible buyers in Europe, there are good and bad people everywhere.

Please Note: there is always a trap in most export contracts and i charge a fee for reading and interpreting export contracts for both Agro Produce and Solid Minerals.

Be wise and lets serve you so you dont lose money.

Export business is good and it earns you forex, but take heed and lets see you through a successful export venture.

Wish you all the best.
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by Jakumo(m): 12:38pm On Dec 17, 2013
jmaine: With the dearth of Forest management practices in Nigeria, why should any sane Nigerian be engaging in charcoal exportation. You are depleting your natural and generational resources for some cheap and worthless cash. angry

It is even made worse that the ecosystem destroyers don't even get paid for their ignorance. embarassed

The criminal, NON-sustainabe plunder of Afric's precious rain forests as fuel for the massively destructive practice of burning trees to "make" charcoal, should be punishable by life in jail without parole.

Murder carries the death penalty in Nigeria, yet environmental destruction and deforestation destroys human lives in the thousands, by laying waste what were once oxygen-generating forest canopies, polluting the air with the poisonous acrid smoke of incinerated trees, dyring up vital rivers by killing all trees and exposing the bodies of water below to the relentless African sun, and altering the very climate by directly inducing genocidal DROUGHT.

OUTLAW the charcoal hawking and exporting "business" in Nigeria NOW, before ALL her forests vanish like those of Haiti, where people now dig up dried-out roots to use as firewood, on a landscape where no single tree exists anymore, thanks to the madness of human greed. Arrest and JAIL all charcoal dealers NOW,

[size=14pt]BAN DEFORESTAION FOR CHARCOAL NOW, Johnny B. Goode[/size]
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by kingagropro1: 12:40pm On Dec 17, 2013
ifyalways: They didn't start scamming us today oh .

I've been scammed by one oyibo woman I met through penpals when I was a teen. I suffered to gather and send her a bag of cowries and shells,she never sent my payment. Worst part is that I saved and starved (my pocket money) so I could raise the NIPOST fees.

There are scammers everywhere. There is a Nigerian i know that is on wanted list as i write you, no one knows his whereabout. Be that as it may, there are fundamentals for international trade, its not for teenagers.

Sure you have learnt a thing or two from that bad experience.

Dont give up, its a process to eldorado.
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by Arosa(m): 12:47pm On Dec 17, 2013
It's only a fool that send goods to a buyer when thy have not paid for it. undecided
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by EXPORTFINANCE: 8:02am On Dec 01, 2015
funding available for charcoal export only...08077881934
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by EXPORTFINANCE: 12:32pm On May 14, 2016
hello all, I need bulk charcoal buyers/importers from Europe and middle east. if u gat contact holla me on 08077881934(wattzapp) , 08026225888
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by Ashiru1946: 6:27pm On Feb 23, 2017
hi please I am a producer of hardwood charcoal stay in Ogun state I can supply minimum of 200bags per month for more information contact me on whatapp: 07032473749
Re: Charcoal Exporters Be Warned. by SalamRushdie: 6:30pm On Feb 23, 2017
Anybody exporting charcoal from Africa to Europe should be hanged jare ..

(1) (Reply)

The Corporal With The Bullet Proof Body - And T.B. Joshua / Pictures Dont Lie, Abia Before And Now / Nigeria, China And Cyprus Share The Same Independence Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.