Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) (23606 Views)

Adamawa Lawmakers Plot Against New Governor / Tukur Declares War Against New PDP Faction / Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by MurderX: 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2017
julioralph:
As a Catholic, I'm really disappointed to say the least!
Our brothers & sisters in the East sometimes take things too far
sad

This is just a hint of what biafra will be like - comatose!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by sonofluc1fer: 3:08pm On Jun 12, 2017
Foolish people.

1 Like

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by charleskcc18(m): 3:09pm On Jun 12, 2017
julioralph:
As a Catholic, I'm really disappointed to say the least!
Our brothers & sisters in the East sometimes take things too far
sad
I more than agree with u

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by Tkester: 3:10pm On Jun 12, 2017
Rb
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by diegwu01: 3:12pm On Jun 12, 2017
This is exactly how Biafra would be run, Ethnic Bigotry, Discrimination and Hate. This is happening in the Catholic Church, Shame!
Count me out of Biafra!

11 Likes

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by pmatchuks: 3:13pm On Jun 12, 2017
Catholic faithfuls that always depends on bulletin to read scriptures know ye now that it is written, I will give you pastor's after my own heart, allow the bishop- elect to do his job. Stop ranting it's a shame!!!
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by tete7000(m): 3:13pm On Jun 12, 2017
Abagworo:

That man cannot speak Mbaise and it is a rural diocese as we know. This issue has lasted too long with a lot of lies and blackmails against Mbaise people. The best thing is to give an Mbaise man Bishop of Awka if they want an Awka man as Bishop of Ahiara. That settles the suspicion of conspiracy.

Your argument has no basis in faith. You judge spiritual matter with a secular mindset. You people prayed and got a priest, are you telling me God didnt answer your prayer? If you have a preconceived notion of who you want, why went down to pray? The intention is to pray God into your scheme. Have you not read in your scripture that "God's ways are not our ways; his thoughts not our thoughts. As heaven is distant from the earth is his ways removed from our ways and his thoughts from our thoughts". God doesn't see as humans see. Mbaise people with their priests by this thinking are spiritually inept. Quite sad! If there is anything God wants this appointment to heal, it is this ethnic and tribal bigotry. By the time the diocese live under the elected bishop, this thinking will be positively influenced.

13 Likes

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 12, 2017
Say no to Biafra, one Nigeria!
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by alphaconde(m): 3:13pm On Jun 12, 2017
Ogbonaikenna:
Why didn't rome reject an Argentine pope?

wise question

1 Like

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by altitudee: 3:15pm On Jun 12, 2017
zero reasoning.....tribalism has gone so deep into you...are u a racist?
Abagworo:

That man cannot speak Mbaise and it is a rural diocese as we know. This issue has lasted too long with a lot of lies and blackmails against Mbaise people. The best thing is to give an Mbaise man Bishop of Awka if they want an Awka man as Bishop of Ahiara. That settles the suspicion of conspiracy.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by DPsalmist2(m): 3:19pm On Jun 12, 2017
Why are you resurrecting a 4yrs old story? Even pushing to FP. You People are too desperate to paint a misleading narrative.
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by Schematics: 3:20pm On Jun 12, 2017
It is possible that there are no suitable and qualified person from the state hence the need to appoint from another state.

''Bishop Okpalaeke from Anambra is now the Bishop of Ahiara in Imo state''- Pope

Case closed cheesy
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by DPsalmist2(m): 3:21pm On Jun 12, 2017
diegwu01:
This is exactly how Biafra would be run, Ethnic Bigotry, Discrimination and Hate. This is happening in the Catholic Church, Shame!
Count me out of Biafra!
All things present in Nigeria and some​ more. Islamic extremism, ethnic clashes etc.
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by vicadex07(m): 3:23pm On Jun 12, 2017
Did anyone notice that threads on Nairaland before 2015 contained little or no agitation for Biafra?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by FATM: 3:23pm On Jun 12, 2017
The Pope is infallible and represents Christ on earth according to the doctrines of the Catholics, so accept whoever he appoints!

4 Likes

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by Luminee(f): 3:25pm On Jun 12, 2017
Ogbonaikenna:

1 Like

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by donqx: 3:25pm On Jun 12, 2017
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by ifyain: 3:28pm On Jun 12, 2017
MBAISE people are always greedy and selfish. their so called reverend fathers are no priest but have wives and kids. they are only using the church for their own selfish reasons.
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by TOPCRUISE(m): 3:30pm On Jun 12, 2017
Ogbonaikenna:
GOD BLESS YOU MY BROTHER.

1 Like

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by martinsrichie(m): 3:31pm On Jun 12, 2017
The Catholic Church is NO place for politics , I wonder why some clegy men will want to gumble on that,

I suggest that those priests that engage in public protest should be punished. .
The Catholic Church is one..Regardles of race, ethnic groups Or tribe. So I see no point in engaging in futile protest....

# Catholic and Proud#

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by Nickymezor(f): 3:32pm On Jun 12, 2017
Lets God's will b done abeg... Saynotodiscrimination... We are ONE bfr our maker.
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by Shitface(m): 3:32pm On Jun 12, 2017
It's unfortunate that the media is distorting facts, it's very unfortunate they are painting MBAISE bad.
They should go and research before talking anyhow.
A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by barinedan(m): 3:34pm On Jun 12, 2017
Why are men trying to crucify Christ for the second time? This is a shameful act that priests, not even members will carry placards round the city in protest. God will so ashamed of this. I'm not surprised, it is part of the endtime
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by mekusa12: 3:35pm On Jun 12, 2017
Wonderful, has Catholic church turned to a pressure group, or a Political party?. What is really going on With this so-called Christians. Rev.Fathers protesting on the street, This clearly shows that they have abandoned the work of GOD and faced their personal work. Did GOD actually called them or they called them selves. Well GOD has actually said it that his judgment will begin in his house. Come to think of it, why must be an Mbaise man that will be the Bishop?, what is there interest or reason why it must be an Ahiara man.

2 Likes

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by DrObum(m): 3:36pm On Jun 12, 2017
Abagworo:

That's rubbish!

If that's the case, people should throw out every Mbaise priest to go and shepherd their fathers and mothers.

There shouldn't be nepotism in the church,wherever the hierarchy sends one, he should go and the people work to support the minister.

3 Likes

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by Shitface(m): 3:39pm On Jun 12, 2017
tete7000:

Your argument has no basis in faith. You judge spiritual matter with a secular mindset. You people prayed and got a priest, are you telling me God didnt answer your prayer? If you have a preconceived notion of who you want, why went down to pray? The intention is to pray God into your scheme. Have you not read in your scripture that "God's ways are not our ways; his thoughts not our thoughts. As heaven is distant from the earth is his ways removed from our ways and his thoughts from our thoughts". God doesn't see as humans see. Mbaise people with their priests by this thinking are spiritually inept. Quite sad! If there is anything God wants this appointment to heal, it is this ethnic and tribal bigotry. By the time the diocese live under the elected bishop, this thinking will be positively influenced.
After the late bishop passed on, prayers were made and three people selected to become bishop of the diocese.
All of this people were completely ignored and through whatever means, Okpaleke was appointed as bishop. A priest who has never worked in Aharia.
Remember, even in the appointment of a Pope, procedures are observed.
This caused the outrage of the people, who saw it as an insult on all the priest in the entire Diocese.
The people were those who protested.
People are bending information and painting the entire diocese black.
GOD IS WATCHING.
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by menxer: 3:40pm On Jun 12, 2017
Well, well, well!

So it's not only Nigeria that marginalizes the Igbos, even Rome?

But come to think of it, must a Bishop be appointed to a diocese based on his place of origin?
Is the Catholic Church now practicing federal character in its appointment?

Besides, is the Pope not God's Vicar on earth?
Rejecting the pope's choice is tantamount to rejecting God's choice.

In this era of secession, maybe they want to secede from Roman Catholic Church.
Biafra Catholic Church loading....

6 Likes

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by joenor(m): 3:44pm On Jun 12, 2017
why is our own having this rankle grin
Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by mycogen: 3:46pm On Jun 12, 2017
Shitface:
It's unfortunate that the media is distorting facts, it's very unfortunate they are painting MBAISE bad.
They should go and research before talking anyhow.
A word is enough for the wise.

I would like if you give us the details of what actually happened. I have been researching all day trying to understand the reasoning behind the crisis and I have found nothing different from what is being said on this forum, that is - the clergy in Mbaise is rejecting a Bishop because he is not one of them.

1 Like

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by Ursino(f): 3:47pm On Jun 12, 2017
alphaconde:
I believe In one holy catholic and apostolic Church; we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

No matter what happens the church is supreme and the pope is infallible in matters of my faith and morals.

Thank you.
Alpha Conde.

I believe too! Till Jesus comes again.
No matter the external pressure, the real Church of Christ is infallible.

I AM CATHOLIC!

1 Like

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by mansmith(m): 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2017
Abagworo:

Why bring nepotism to the Church? Current Bishop of Port Harcourt diocese is from Cross River State and his predecessor was from Kogi state and one before him from Ireland. So what's the big deal about indigenous Bishop?
You think it a Nigerian thing?

2 Likes

Re: Why Pope Francis Threatened To Fire Nigerian Priests (Backstory From 2013) by chinedim: 3:53pm On Jun 12, 2017
Shame is the only way to describe the ahiara diocese act of bringing discord and shame to the church with its so called Street protest. " we are in the world but not of the world" the church is a world of its own that knows no tribe rather CHRIST is our tribe and the SUPREME PONTIFF is our head. Where is their treasure The priests in the diocese loyalty should be to the church and not the tribe.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

#ekiti: How APC Thugs Manhandled Me With Security Officials Watching – PDP Agent / Frank Edwards Declares Support For Peter Obi / N.5bn Campaign Fund Stolen In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.