Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc (4451 Views)

Guidelines In Obtaining Driver’s Licence For First-timers / FRSC Reveals Real Cost Of Obtaining A Driver's Licence / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Lady2(f): 6:42pm On Apr 24, 2008
The Zonal Commander, Zone 2, Federal Road Safety Commission, Mr. Chike Nwaka, has described as a dangerous precedent, the plan by the Lagos State Government to issue driver’s licence to motorists in the state.

Nwaka said the move was not only a big hurdle to the desire to enforce a safe driving culture but a threat to national security.

In an interview with newsmen after his familiarisation visit to the Ogun State Sector Command in Abeokuta on Wednesday, he explained that the motive behind the plan of the state was essentially monetary.

He warned that such motivation could snowball into other states agitating for the right to the issuance of such “a sensitive document.”

He said, “They (Lagos) are only trying to create problems for the masses and the motoring public. They want to set a precedent that will snowball into other states trying to have their own licence.

“It’s like they see this venture as a means of revenue generation. The Driver’s Licence is not just for revenue generation; it is for security. It is also to regulate motoring.”

He said motorists would be in a dilemma driving in Lagos without being able to drive on federal roads in the city.

“If such drivers with the Lagos licence drive on federal roads or drive to Ogun State, we will impound their vehicles,” said Nwaka, who urged the Lagos State Government to strengthen its support for the commission like other states to ensure more decent driving culture.

The acting Head of Operations, FRSC, Ogun State, Mrs. Kikelomo Alao, told the visitor that the command had been operating with only one patrol vehicle while another one had been grounded.

Alao said the absence of patrol vans, ambulance and towing trucks had hampered the effectiveness of the command.

Nwaka noted that for there to be significant improvement in motoring on the nation’s roads, the federal, states and the local governments needed to forge a strong cooperation among themselves.

The zonal commander said, “This work cannot be for just one person.

“The other day, the Ogun State Government gave the commission about 12 motorbikes. The Governor realised that it is important for us to work together always even though the state has an outfit that also controls traffic. The more the merrier.

“But where we are pulling in our own way, is it anarchy that we are looking for?”

Nwaka added that Nigerians should realise that the vehicle number plates and the driver’s licence were security-based elements which the FRSC was not ready to compromise.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/apr/24/423.html

What kind of reasoning is this? Seriously, who's this dude?  angry angry angry

How can u say that the issuance of state driver's license is not for the betterment of people. So what if it's used for monetary gains. Shouldn't the State be trying to raise money for the State of the people?
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Kobojunkie: 6:54pm On Apr 24, 2008
Same sort of reasoning I bet yaradua has that is keeping him from signing the FOI bill into law, to date.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Lady2(f): 7:01pm On Apr 24, 2008

Same sort of reasoning I bet yaradua has that is keeping him from signing the FOI bill into law, to date

I don't know much about the bill, care to explain without your own opinion on it, so that I can make my own mind on it. Thanks.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Kobojunkie: 7:03pm On Apr 24, 2008
Feel Free to google it then and gather information on it and why it is important to the right of every Nigerian.

Freedom of Information Bill Nigeria
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by TayoD1(m): 7:48pm On Apr 24, 2008
@topic,

I bet the FRSC Commader interpretes the word "Federal" in the Federal Republic of Nigeria to mean that the Federal Goverment must control everything.

Are we not supposed to be a Federation? Why should they impound the vehicles of those who travel inter-state because they do not have Federal License? Does that mean a valid Driver who visits Naija can not drive on our roads until he obtains a Driver's license. Which kain people be this sef?
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by deor03(m): 8:57pm On Apr 24, 2008
@ Topic
The FRSC has failed nigerians just like so many agencies have. There are so many people in nigeria with "valid" drivers licences who don't know the difference between the accelerator and the brake. Over 90% ( personal opinion) of nigerian drivers do not understand road sign, NOT , to talk of obeying them. This leads to reckless driving which causes traffic congestion and Loss of lifes.
If FRSC does it work very well, traffic problem will drastically reduce

States like Lagos bears the brunch of the problem when some Federal agencies are not doing their work. I think this i a step in the right direction by the LASG.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Tonim(f): 11:35pm On Apr 24, 2008
Over centralization at the federal level in Nigeria is without a doubt holding us back. I think each state should

be in charge of issuing driver's licenses and license plates across the nation.

Why should a fed govt agency be issuing license plates for goodness sake undecided
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Lady2(f): 1:21am On Apr 25, 2008
oya this guy needs to be schooled.

I wonder if any leader is on nairaland to get some tips ehn. hmmm undecided

dat would be cool though.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Apr 25, 2008
It is easy to say because people in other countries have state licences and not Federal licences, Lagos should go the same way but we all know that the federal government has it's hands in almost everything in that country. So why all the HOOPLA when this man is simply saying what is, in the country. Instead of hacking at the man for saying what he knows that has worked so far, why not focus on urging your president to sign laws that allow the people the power they are supposed to have in a democracy; ask him to remove federal government hold on sectors and allow the people more power when it comes to decision making in the country
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Bruekeleen: 2:27am On Apr 25, 2008
Not a bad idea! But can the states have a state issued ID/driver Licence without their own State Police?
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Kobojunkie: 2:29am On Apr 25, 2008
Bruekeleen:

Not a bad idea! But can the states have a state issued ID/driver Licence without their own State Police?

Thank you. That is the problem with the plan. If you make one area state,what about the other areas that are still in federal hands?? This has to be the federal government removings it's hands from many of these areas so states can better function and hence power be put in the hands of the people which is the idea in democracy to allow them control things in that country. Enough of the same old, same old but it has to move both at the state and grassroot level as well as the federal level.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by desgiezd(m): 1:20pm On Apr 25, 2008
Obviously, this FRSC man does not know what is happening in his organisation and I wonder the kind of national security he was talking about here.

My driving licence expired on December 14, 2007 and that was on Friday. On Monday, December 17, I applied for a renewal and they took my picture and fingerprints with their computer. Today is April 25, 2008, clear four months and eight days after I requested and paid for the renewal and I am yet to get my driving licence. At a time, the excuse was that there were no printing materials and when the materials came the people in Lagos claimed they were waiting for instructions from Abuja before they would start printing. What do we call this!! There was also a time that Lagos residents who needed vehicle plate numbers had to go to Ogun or Ondo States because it was scarce in Lagos. Of what use is it when common things like driving licence and issuance of plate numbers are centrally handled and there is so much inefficiency and laxity in the system.

I commend LASG for the steps they have decided to take and when it takes off, I am prepared to pay and get LASG issued driving licence. Even if the motivation for LASG is revenue generation, at least, I can see and feel the impact of the state government and how their money is being spent.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by angel101(f): 1:54pm On Apr 25, 2008
I cant see what the problem is with advocating state licences. it will probably be better monitored and managed thereby making more sense. i am aware that acquiring the present nigerian licence require no testing or even personally putting in the application. u just pay someone somewhere and in a couple of days, u get the document!
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by bawomolo(m): 6:21pm On Apr 25, 2008
decentralization of nigeria is not a bad thing, states like lagos should strive for autonomy. i see no reason why states should handle drivers licenses. what's so ultra sensitive about it. big government isn't good at all
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by lucabrasi(m): 9:59pm On Apr 25, 2008
what the frsc man is saying is that,lagos stage issuing a lincence might make the process more open to abuse from non qualified drivers,even though the frsc havnt done a very good job in controlling the issuance of drivers lincense over the years i think a state issuing drivers lincense is very dangerous because how will they monitor the issuance with other duties required of the state and also if other states get the same right then the qualifications will no more be uniform and it will be up to any political appointee issuing lincences to his/her party members ,imagine oyo state having that kind of power and all of adedibu's thugs being issued with lincences, thats like putting the lives of other motorists in a great deal of danger,having said that i think frsc need to realli wake up and do a more thorough job
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Afam(m): 5:22am On Apr 26, 2008
What's all the noise about? The FRSC man is in order. If Lagos state issues driver's license to motorists naturally such licenses are valid only for Lagos roads, Lagos roads and not federal roads.

So, as long as you are in Lagos and ply Lagos roads no problem but once you are on Federal road (within or outside Lagos) you must be driving with a driver's license that covers the road you are plying unless you guys are saying that driver's license issued by Lagos State government should be accepted as valid licenses in Sokoto, Enugu and all federal roads.

Why is it difficult for Nigerians to come to terms with reality or is it just fashionable to take sometimes very dangerous and meaningless positions on issues?
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by bawomolo(m): 7:04am On Apr 26, 2008
So, as long as you are in Lagos and ply Lagos roads no problem but once you are on Federal road (within or outside Lagos) you must be driving with a driver's license that covers the road you are plying unless you guys are saying that driver's license issued by Lagos State government should be accepted as valid licenses in Sokoto, Enugu and all federal roads.

as long as u have a valid license from your state of RESIDENCY, then the license is valid regardless of federal roads or not. you should get a new license if u plan to relocate. that's the way it works in most countries.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by rasputinn(m): 1:44pm On Apr 26, 2008
There's nothing wrong with Lagos state issuing its own drivers licence,that's the way it's done in most advanced countries.
That ignorant road safety man should just be ignored.
Not as if they are even delivering on the drivers licences ever since they've been the sole issuers.I lost my old one around January,I promptly applied for a new one after obtaining the police report and sworn affidavit.I've gone for "capture",i.e to have my pix taken @ their office and have paid them their fee s FOR OVER THREE MONTHS NOW,yet no licence.
Can you imagine,I've been driving with police report and sworn affidavit
Please not just Lagos state govt,all state govts must wake up to thneir responsibility and take over the issuance of drivers licence from those lazy ass FRSC goons
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by McKren(m): 5:45pm On Apr 26, 2008
I think this scheme could well be used to decongest lagos roads

Each car should be tied to a drivers licence and any car not in the databased should be taken off the road
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by redsun(m): 6:23pm On Apr 26, 2008
It is more of databasing of lagos than any other thing,apart from that lagos is one of the most dangerous places to drive in the world,their set safety driving standard should be one to identify with ,but for nigerian syndrome,imagine state road safety command having just one operational car,while somebody like obansanjo will have fleets of car,bought with public money,no insurance,no road tax,no m.o.t,not even fuel,complimentary.

The country is so blind,you can't think of things like this happening in 21st century oil boom nigeria.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by saintchux(m): 8:35pm On Apr 26, 2008
everyone is commending Lagos state government, but nobody is asking this question?

1. Will I use driving license issued by Lagos state government in Ogun state?
2. How will a police officer or FRSC officer in Kaduna state know that the Lagos state driving License being carried by a visitor to Kaduna is not fake?
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Kobojunkie: 9:00pm On Apr 26, 2008
The Lone-ranger plan may work in Lagos but will the drivers then be required to carry both a Lagos license and a Federal license, and for how long?? If this be the case, the police in Lagos will have to then learn to identify the Lagos license as well, if the Lagos government actually has the authority to demand they do that.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Lady2(f): 11:09pm On Apr 26, 2008
1. Will I use driving license issued by Lagos state government in Ogun state?
2. How will a police officer or FRSC officer in Kaduna state know that the Lagos state driving License being carried by a visitor to Kaduna is not fake?

It will force them to move in the right direction. The problem with that is?
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by bawomolo(m): 11:25pm On Apr 26, 2008
it should be job of the states to handle drivers licenses. i guess that's too much for nigerian states.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Nobody: 1:38am On Apr 27, 2008
yes like i think is done in some developed countries, the state or province has full authority over its region for such matters.anyway, it takews a sate to set the pace.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by redsun(m): 8:18am On Apr 27, 2008
Regional and central data base,police,local goverments,states,federal,all linked up,it is easy with this toys we are playing,it is just the will and know how.

Imagine nigeria in a 21st crime world not having a fingerprinting system,not to talk of forensic,and people just think it is normal,just like every other thing,normal to lack,just because we are blacks.

One can chose to play god in nigeria.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Kobojunkie: 9:16am On Apr 27, 2008
redsun:

Regional and central data base,police,local goverments,states,federal,all linked up,it is easy with this toys we are playing,it is just the will and know how.

Imagine nigeria in a 21st crime world not having a fingerprinting system,not to talk of forensic,and people just think it is normal,just like every other thing,normal to lack,just because we are blacks.

One can chose to play god in nigeria.

What do we need the toys of the white man for?? For someone who keeps claiming the white man this and the white man that, why are you continually advocating we adopt the white man's ways still?? Is it that even in your mind you understand how silly your stance is when it comes to the part the white man and his toys play in the world we live in today
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by redsun(m): 9:32am On Apr 27, 2008
You totally misunderstood it,keep puzzling,maybe you will get it.I have nothing against white man,i just want you to free yourself.

Most of the time you attribute every invention to whiteman,forgetting the roots of inventions which we totally lost as a people because we can't see beyond our noses,science is a formula,it is not the perquisite right of anybody but for those that seek.

Loaf of bread,this,that,shit,hungry man.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Kobojunkie: 9:36am On Apr 27, 2008
redsun:

You totally misunderstood it,keep puzzling,maybe you will get it.I have nothing against white man,i just want you to free yourself.

Most of the time you attribute every invention to whiteman,forgetting the roots of inventions which we totally lost as a people because we can't see beyond our noses,science is a formula,it is not the perquisite right of anybody but for those that seek.

Loaf of bread,this,that,shit,hungry man.
'

Oh boy!!! Are you telling me the "Finger Printing" machine was made by an african??  http://secuwatch./2007/10/05/who-invented-the-biometric-system/   I am not sure if you understand which one of us is enslaved one,  the one who constantly goes on and on about WHITEMAN and his accomplishments and tries to claim BLACKS are enslaved by Whiteman in some conspiracy or the one that demands that africans get up and take action for the betterment of africa and it's people?? By the way, you may need to recompile that idea you have of science.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by redsun(m): 10:04am On Apr 27, 2008
You don't get,understanding the concept of a horse pulled chariot can help you to the understand the concept of a car,one thing leads to another,diffrent stages,just like knowing how a radio transistor works will help you understand how a computer works,airwaves is universal,brain is said to be the same,then must it be a whiteman always?they have to be in zimbabwe for the people to feed,destitutes,mental slavery.It surprises me most when somebody in the west still can't decipher the picture

You have to be a part of it for you to know.
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Njoy1(f): 6:29pm On Apr 27, 2008
I can now see the reasoning of the people who dont live in Nigeria are certainly warped and demented. How can someone insinuate or postulate that because each state in America issues a driver's license, hence it should be the same in Nigeria? Is the American law that allows each state to have a different legal system the same in Nigeria? Each state should have their own police force in Nigeria as is done i America - because its done in America that way - does it justify that it should be done in Nigeria - even when there is nothing in the law of the land that calls for that?
Re: Driver’s Licence: Lagos Setting A Dangerous Precedent – Frsc by Afam(m): 9:04pm On Apr 27, 2008
N-joy:

[b]I can now see the reasoning of the people who don't live in Nigeria are certainly warped and demented. [/b]How can someone insinuate or postulate that because each state in America issues a driver's license, hence it should be the same in Nigeria? Is the American law that allows each state to have a different legal system the same in Nigeria? Each state should have their own police force in Nigeria as is done i America - because its done in America that way - does it justify that it should be done in Nigeria - even when there is nothing in the law of the land that calls for that?

You are absolutely right, one cannot imagine the type of nonsense some of these people put down here. Little wonder dem talk say even if you carry pig go US na pig e go still remain.

Every day the quality of discussion on this forum (politics) keeps going down thanks to the crazy views of some Nigerians especially those living outside Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions / SOLD SOLD SOLD!!! Tokunbo 2006 Sienna Must Sell 1.8m Whatsapp: 08036168946 / I Need Info On Nissan Primera P11- 144 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.