Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,238 members, 7,822,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Modern Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Modern Islam (605 Views)

Three Important Principles In The Modern Hijrah / The 'Burying' Of Muslim Women in the Modern World / Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modern Islam by Kattylone(f): 9:49pm On May 20, 2013
I understand there's nothing like the above, I'm at cross roads..
Lemme start with this, I LOVE fashion, I'm not LV,DOLCE,armani crazy, I'm the kind of person that loves design, I love making my own stuff, my own clothes, my own Fashion(altho I'm still learning how to sew), I'm the backpack, videogames kinda girl..
Anyways, the thing is I want to change my trend, BE more islamic. Muslimah..
But I'm caught between the new islamic fashion trend (I don't mean the tiny pashmina wrapping on tight jeans, I mean the long skirts, long sleeves kinda thing) and the newest Al Hikmah university trend(I mean the bright colour long hijabs with shirt sleeves and embroidery)..
So what's your take??
Re: Modern Islam by maclatunji: 11:59pm On May 20, 2013
^What may be termed 'devout Muslims' are not and cannot all be the same. There is a wide room for self-expression within what is allowed within Islam. Hence, I think you should be encouraged to express your 'individuality' within the confines of Islam.

Thank you.
Re: Modern Islam by bntY: 8:02am On May 22, 2013
@katty,I so much feel ur concern and understand ur dilemma.You seem to suddenly realise the need to be at peace wt ur creator without compromising ur individuality. Your best bet is to use a khimar.That way, you can wear anythin,just abt anythin underneath.you please urself by dressin up to ur delight and cover it up from d prying eyes of Men wt a plain cloth dt is less attractive.That way you're cool wt urself and ur creator.
Belive me,you'll get tired of those long skirt and longsleeves very soon going by ur high taste for fashion.They hardly come in variety and d few real stylish one are hard to come by,that's if the bright colours don't deter you frm wearin them.....wishin you the best in ur quest.

1 Like

Re: Modern Islam by onegig(m): 11:37am On May 22, 2013
where are all nland muslimah's like deols when you need them.. @poster...just be yourself...i know how hard it is been yourself(trendy and suave) and also combining elements of a true muslimah to it without going out of line of what God commands and frowns upon. But as earlier responders have said there;s lot of room for self expression in Islam. Your aim should just be to avoid opening your body to the world no matter what modern dress you wanna wear. Best wishes.
Re: Modern Islam by Kattylone(f): 8:19pm On May 23, 2013
Thanks guYs! Now I'll figure out a way.

(1) (Reply)

The Secret Of The Niger:the Riot And The Visitor By :peregrino Brimah / Features Average Muslim Family Today / The Days Of Tashreeq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.