Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power (21897 Views)

Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees / Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC / Police To Lose Power To Prosecute Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by shineeye: 3:22am On May 24, 2013
Emergency Rule: Borno, Adamawa, Yobe Governors Lose Power

To receive monthly allocation “only for salaries,” as instructed by Jonathan
ABUJA — The Senate and the House of Representatives, Thursday, formally blocked the governors of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states from having complete access to their states’ funds.

The action by the two chambers of the National Assembly was upon the adoption of the conference report of the two chambers of the details of the state of emergency proclamation announced by President Goodlcuk Jonathan penultimate Tuesday.

Under the arrangement agreed by the two chambers, the governors and elected council chairmen will also not be entitled to the money for developments in their respective states and local governments except for payment of salaries to workers, as the money will be channeled towards the maintenance of security men deployed to restore peace in the troubled states.

The governors are also expected to receive instructions on the day to day running of their states from the President.

The conference report was adopted by the two houses yesterday without debate.

Senator Ita Enang, Chairman, Senate Committee on Rules and Business, who presented the report in the Senate, said the joint conference committee of the two houses adopted the version of the House which gives the President out-right power to issue directives to the governors as he may desires.

The report was adopted in the House following the presentation of the same report by Rep Aminu Shehu Shagari (PDP Sokoto) who stood in for the committee chairman, Sam Tsokwa.

According to the report, the President also reserved right to “take possession of any property or undertaking in the emergency area, provide for application of any law in relation to that area as well as detention, removal or exclusion of any person from the emergency area.”

The Federal Government, through the President, according to the report, can also order the arrest and trial of anyone who contradicts its order and also make provision for the utilisation of any state or local government in emergency area just as he can order any premises to be searched as he deems necessary.

The report added that: “The President may give directions to a state governor or local government chairman directly or through his designate or a duly authorised person with respect to the administration of the emergency area in matters of public order, peace and security only and it shall be the duty of the state governor or local government chairman to comply with the directive.

“The President may make such orders as appear to him to be necessary or expedient for the purpose of maintaining and securing peace, public order and public safety in the emergency area”.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/emergency-rule-borno-adamawa-yobe-governors-lose-power/

1 Like

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by shineeye: 3:26am On May 24, 2013
This is great,you cant be running double project expenses in your state at the expense from other states..

3 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by ogb5(m): 4:03am On May 24, 2013
that's why the wise ones will tell you there is no development without peace.

now a large portion of their monthly allocation will go into maintaining the soldiers that will be killing their children.

I hope this will be another incentive for the Northern elders to fall behind the president and stop the Boko madness quickly

26 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by badmeat(m): 4:07am On May 24, 2013
The north needs education seriously!see what outdated jihadist mentality has gotten the region into!

5 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Myhb(m): 4:36am On May 24, 2013
Can d north ever b develop again?

2 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Emperor007: 5:00am On May 24, 2013
Hmmmmm, this is serious.

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by favouredseed(f): 5:41am On May 24, 2013
Dats good because na chop dem dey cho b4, no meaningful dvelopment
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Decelebrity(f): 5:50am On May 24, 2013
north,haaaa dos pple er blessed with d spirit of violent

1 Like

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Mobsync(m): 5:51am On May 24, 2013
And how'll the governors eat? Their salaries might not be enough, you know?
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by kross01(m): 6:09am On May 24, 2013
i never knew monthly allocations was what empowers the guvnors. Thanks @shine eye for enlightening me.

1 Like

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by SlyIg(f): 6:13am On May 24, 2013
So my dear Presido had all these enormous ideas and he was silent all this while?
I'm loving this man!

Buhari and co can now cry out blood. Let me see where they will get the money to fund the boko boys.

Now i can authoritatively say that 'boko are ram' days are over. Hunger will strike the land.

Thanks to Oga Jona.

33 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by gunuvi(m): 6:17am On May 24, 2013
Owo ti ba awon governors yen o.

1 Like

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by ba7man(m): 6:18am On May 24, 2013
True, You can eat your cake and still have it. Thumbs up GEJ.

2 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by oshyno(m): 6:45am On May 24, 2013
E don be 4 d governors. I bet they didnt see this coming else they wud av opposed the amnesty from the let go. Abeg go do ur normadic biz make bro-J do em work.

1 Like

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Nobody: 6:58am On May 24, 2013
frnt page
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by 1MCN: 7:03am On May 24, 2013
This idea has been previously sold by the CAN president Pst Ayor, I think sometime in 2011, that in any state where there is violence and destruction the federal govt should use the allocation of such state to prosecute the restoration of peace, safety and security of people and property in the area and to repair the damages incurred. By this, the govs will do everything to nip in the bud any attempt to disrupt public tranquility in their state cos if not the osusu that shud enter their ministry will be on a long thing.
Thank God the legislators adopted this far reaching measure.
I think GEJ might win big in this whole fight, and those who want to use this to achieve Presidency are already been tossed by overwhelming tempest.
God bless Nigeria and Nigerians

17 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Temismith(f): 7:16am On May 24, 2013
Waow! Oga jona don vex @ last. Pls we need more of ur vexings.

4 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Nobody: 7:38am On May 24, 2013
Decelebrity: north,haaaa dos pple are blessed with d spirit of violent

Blessed abi cursed??

Anyways,.@ topic, the powers at the president's disposal are enormous, and of course he knows that. Make no mistakes. The fact that he is unfairly derided as 'weak' in some quarters is a glowing testament to his democratic credential, and demonstrates that he is a gracious man that does not misuse or abuse power (unlike OBJ and co). That does not mean that he will not act decisively when pushed to the wall. I'm glad we're beginning to see that.

With great power comes great responsibility, and I dare say Jonathan is the most responsible president we've had in this Fourth Republic.

21 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Nobody: 7:46am On May 24, 2013
You see, violence doesn't pay. It doesn't guarantee any development. No right thinking person not even Dangote will invest in a place where violence rules with the leaders supporting the perpetrators. Once again Nice one Mr President. Keep it up.

11 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Reptyle(m): 7:55am On May 24, 2013
SlyIg: So my dear Presido had all these enormous ideas and he was silent all this while?
I'm loving this man!

Buhari and co can now cry out blood. Let me see where they will get the money to fund the boko boys.

Now i can authoritatively say that 'boko are ram' days are over. Hunger will strike the land.

Thanks to Oga Jona.

...and have you ever heard of the effects of hunger on the psyche? Go figure!
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by SlyIg(f): 8:50am On May 24, 2013
Reptyle:

...and have you ever heard of the effects of hunger on the psyche? Go figure!
I wish its death!
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Dagods(m): 9:11am On May 24, 2013
No more "chop and clean mouth",e don happen.Jona in action.

1 Like

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by KASOFARI: 1:21pm On May 24, 2013
NIGERIA AND THE 40 CHARLATANS
Why has Boko not had any real proper Power and influential Government target since.... LOL.

na so so poor people den dey kill since....

Whoz fooling who.....?

Just 2 days and dey are saying they are seeing results on Boko... very funny a movement they created /
has bn running for years just quelled within 1 week like that. Doyin Okupe must be a joker sha....

If they could do this why allow them to grow and do us so much damage over the last few years..

Boko is an internal creation by them, GBAMK, they grew out of hand just like Massob and d past militants dey had to buy their arms off them back in d days for money/amnesty.

Im not fooled even if others are fooled....

I know Nigeria well enough....

Field marshal Doyin Okupe is now reporting war front success as if the people on ground have filed a security report withing 2 days or is it a week of Stste of Emergency

what is the National Security Adviser doing... drinking beer or what?

What a bunch of liars, deceitful and jokers they all are
2 years ago they told us same lies like this... this is now 2013 and they suddenly have woken up from their slumber after needless blood/lives have bn shed.....GOD will judge them all

....https://www.nairaland.com/762912/nigeria-chad-niger-set-launch....

Nigerian military no more the nation defenders...

1. The Nigerian military turned into political charlatans of GEJ administration
2. By using the military as a tool to achieve his devilish 2015 plus….. 6 years agenda.
3. Harassing, killing innocent Nigerians in a simple bid to curve insurgency (BH) created by same man to achieve this agenda.
4. Unprofessional and crude approach by the military to tackle small but elusive targets like BH guerrilla fighters. (Killing a mosquito with an axe!)

2 Likes

Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 24, 2013
So uncle Jona! Is clever after-all, I guess he's taken one step at a time to execute his plans. I'm loving this meeeennnn.....

And let them give account to what they have been doing with the security votes they have been receiving.
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by gtrust: 4:33pm On May 24, 2013
ba7man: True, You can eat your cake and still have it. Thumbs up GEJ.

True! yes you CAN because the cake will be in your intestines! lol
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by NaijaNaWaa: 4:33pm On May 24, 2013
Them say Jonah na mumu. Shebi una don see how coni man die, coni man beri 'am?
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by moshoodn(m): 4:35pm On May 24, 2013
May peace be returned to the north...

So everyone can face their business with rest of mind!!
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 24, 2013
Mobsync: And how'll the governors eat? Their salaries might not be enough, you know?
make dem drink garri nau! who cares about how and what they eat? mtscheeew!

This is a right step in a right direction.
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 24, 2013
This arrogation of enormous powers to the exclusion of the elected governors against what was earlier announced on national broadcast may backfire.
Re: Governors In State Of Emergency Lose Power by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 24, 2013
Decelebrity: north,haaaa dos pple er blessed with d spirit of violent

.......And you are blessed with throwing gbagauns.... Lol.

@Op. Things are finally getting better

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If Nigeria Breaks Up, Abuja Will Be A Separate Country – Sumner Shagari Sambo / Appeal Court Freezes Fayose’s Account / Defections: The Drama, The Facts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.