Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,415 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air (1242 Views)

Mysterious People You Will Meet When Travelling In Danfo Buses Around Lagos / The 13 Types Of People In A Bus When Travelling. / To The "Carl Allen" Personality. If You Have Something To Say To Me, Am All Ears (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by jenny22: 11:24pm On May 24, 2013
Please i need an expert advice, when ever i'm traveling through the air, after 30mins my sound organ will start fading to a point where sounds will become tiny for my senses. I will no longer feel comfortable
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by PointB: 11:39pm On May 24, 2013
A terrible experience if you ask me. I have forgotten the technical name, but it has to do with inequlibrium between the vibration around you and within your eardrum. It is advisable to chew gum during this period to initiate a counter vibration to reduce the effect.
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by jenny22: 11:48pm On May 24, 2013
PointB: A terrible experience if you ask me. I have forgotten the technical name, but it has to do with inequlibrium between the vibration around you and within your eardrum. It is advisable to chew gum during this period to initiate a counter vibration to reduce the effect.
k I will try it, do I need to see d doctor
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by IGBOSON1: 12:09am On May 25, 2013
Oh boy! I almost passed out once on a flight from this painful ear thing. The pain was unbearable and i thought the cabin pressure setting was on high or something undecided, but when i looked around the plane (trying to look as normal as one possibly can with tears in the eyes), i noticed everyone else was having a good time.....even the babies shocked . When that plane landed (and with both ears still pounding and burning like hell) i almost pushed over a dear old lady as i made a mad dash for the exit door.....i couldn't leave that plane fast enough!

Horrible experience indeed!

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by PointB: 5:59am On May 25, 2013
jenny22: k I will try it, do I need to see d doctor

I fear the doctor will give you some drugs which will be next to useless. It is 'physical' problem I suppose, but u may want to try.
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by PointB: 6:06am On May 25, 2013
@IGBO-SON,
I can imagine what you went through. I rushed to the convinence thinking it's any safer. Covering both ears with your palms doesn't help either.

I didn't find it amusing at all.
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by Nobody: 6:15am On May 25, 2013
Had the same experience but was mild
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by Nobody: 6:34am On May 25, 2013
This is one reason I don't travel often.
It happens when the plane is preparing to land. Pain is unbearable. . .Jesus!

Chewing gum doesn't work for me.
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by FindOut(m): 6:56am On May 25, 2013
Lol. Its very terrible if its your first time flying (especially int'l flights when d plane is descending from higher altitudes), but subsequent flights it gets better I think. I was also surprised the first time that while my ears were threatening to pop out & i was practically deaf, some people were obviously not in any discomfort! Chewing gum works to some extent. My last flight back into d country on wednesday, i had gum already in my pocket. As the pilot announced ''we'll begin our descent in the next few minutes''..., mehn, i comot gum straight n started chewing seriously.lol. Gave a fellow passenger some sef.. Felt some discomfort still, but not so much. But as at yesterdy, almost 48hrs after landing, i was till having occasional 'popping' sounds in my ears tho my hearing has been back to normal after landing. I think the thing has to do with pressure, the high altitude blablabla sha.
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by sammyzacks(m): 7:56am On May 25, 2013
Had the same experience on several occasions.one of them made me so uncomfortable and felt a kind of painful.
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by EmmyBoy2(m): 8:04am On May 25, 2013
yeah,it happens to me also.baffles me how on flights,when u look around you,other passengers appear to be perfectly ok.I wonder how a few babies who are supposedly tender are able to withstand it?
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by jenny22: 9:02am On May 25, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Oh boy! I almost passed out once on a flight from this painful ear thing. The pain was unbearable and i thought the cabin pressure setting was on high or something undecided, but when i looked around the plane (trying to look as normal as one possibly can with tears in the eyes), i noticed everyone else was having a good time.....even the babies shocked . When that plane landed (and with both ears still pounding and burning like hell) i almost pushed over a dear old lady as i made a mad dash for the exit door.....i couldn't leave that plane fast enough!

It sounds so funny but na serious experience
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by Nobody: 9:14am On May 25, 2013
IGBO-SON:

Yes those passengers alway pretend all is well. My first time..i felt like the only one in the plane with pounding eardrums. I now chew gums like fergie even before getting on board..works for me.
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by coogar: 9:41am On May 25, 2013
jenny22: Please i need an expert advice, when ever i'm traveling through the air, after 30mins my sound organ will start fading to a point where sounds will become tiny for my senses. I will no longer feel comfortable

that's barotrauma.....
i nearly died the first time i experienced it but sipping water during the descent stops it from happening.
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by Jakumo(m): 9:57am On May 25, 2013
To relieve that pain in your eardrums sometimes felt as a passenger jet climbs or descends, simply open your mouth to its widest extent whilst inhaling through both the nose and mouth, every few seconds, and this will reduce the pressure on your eardrums by enabling your sinuses to act as biolgical pressure-relief valves, greatly reducing the sensation of pain felt in your ears when there are sudden changes in cabin pressure.

While all passenger jet aircraft are equipped with pressurised cabins, the pneumatic systems which maintain that approximate sea-level pressure generally take a few moments to catch up with the rapid changes in external atmospheric pressure which occur when the aircraft is ascending or descending, at rates reaching 1,000 to 2,000 feet per minute, depending on the phase of flight.

It is therefore advisable for passengers and crew to minimize the pressure differential accross their own eardrums by using the above described "yawn" reflex whenever ear discomfort is felt during flight

That'll be ten bucks for the free advice. Thank you for your cooperation.
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by JW214: 11:38am On May 25, 2013
It is called 'Aeroplane Ear'

how to manage it:

Ideally, anyone with a cold, respiratory infection, ear infection, etc, should not fly. However, not many people will cancel their holiday trips for this reason. The following may help people who develop ear pain when flying.

Suck sweets when the plane begins to descend. Air is more likely to flow up the Eustachian tube if you swallow, yawn or chew. For babies, it is a good idea to feed them or give them a drink at the time of descent to encourage them to swallow.
Try doing the following: take a breath in. Then, try to breathe out gently with your mouth closed and pinching your nose (the Valsalva manoeuvre). In this way, no air is blown out but you are gently pushing air into the Eustachian tube. If you do this you may feel your ears go 'pop' as air is pushed into the middle ear. This often cures the problem. Repeat this every few minutes until landing - whenever you feel any discomfort in the ear.
Do not sleep when the plane is descending to land. (Ask the air steward to wake you when the plane starts to descend.) If you are awake you can make sure that you suck and swallow to encourage air to get into the middle ear.

The above usually works for most people. However, if you are particularly prone to develop aeroplane ear, you may wish also to consider the following in addition to the tips above:

Antihistamine tablets (available at pharmacies). Take the recommended dose the day before and the day of travel. This may help to limit the amount of mucus that you make.
A decongestant nasal spray can dry up the mucus in the nose. For example, one containing xylometazoline - available at pharmacies. Spray the nose about one hour before the expected time of descent. Spray again five minutes later. Then spray every 20 minutes until landing.
Air pressure regulating ear plugs. These are cheap, reusable ear plugs that are often sold at airports and in many pharmacies. These ear plugs slow the rate of air pressure change on the eardrum. (It is the rapid rate of pressure change on the eardrum that is the problem and these earplugs slow this down.) Follow the instructions that come with them. Basically, you put them in before the door of the aircraft is shut. Some people then wear them for the entire flight. Some people take them out when the plane reaches cruising height, and then place them in again just before the plane starts to descend to land.

read more here:http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Ears-and-Flying.htm
Re: Pls Advice: Troubled Ears When Travelling Through The Air by jenny22: 4:46pm On May 26, 2013
PointB: A terrible experience if you ask me. I have forgotten the technical name, but it has to do with inequlibrium between the vibration around you and within your eardrum. It is advisable to chew gum during this period to initiate a counter vibration to reduce the effect.
I had a lesser effect today by chewing gum

(1) (Reply)

Fire Burnt Down Oando Fill Sta..in Nkpor Anambra / SHOCKER: Popular Billionaire Businessman, Goddy Anabor Now A Cab Driver In Allen / The 10 Greatest Conquerors in the history of man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.