Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? (4179 Views)

"I Didn't Cheat On My Husband"- 37-yr-old Wife Of 90-yr-old Delta King / Racism Of The Jews: We Were Created By God To Serve The Ppl Of Isreal / Kneeling Down For Your Husband Or Wife! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by jill(f): 12:18pm On May 25, 2013
Hello nairalanders,

I just want your opinion on this situation.

If my husband and I have a guest, and i am to serve drinks, food etc. Who do i start with?

My natural inclination would be to start with my husband especially if the guest is his peer?

Is this culturally acceptable? How about if the guest is older?

2 Likes

Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by pleep(m): 3:07pm On May 25, 2013
thats an interesting question.
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 25, 2013
jill: Hello nairalanders,

I just want your opinion on this situation.

If my husband and I have a guest, and i am to serve drinks, food etc. Who do i start with?

My natural inclination would be to start with my husband especially if the guest is his peer?

Is this culturally acceptable? How about if the guest is older?

why not have the food prepared buffet style for the guests but prepare your hubby's plate separate?
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by ezotik: 3:04am On May 26, 2013
i think the guest should come first coz after all he is the "guest" visiting both u and oga at home. but in a public function and u happen to be amongst those serving, then oga comes first before anybody.

but to save urself from arguments, attend to ur hubby first at all times....coz no one (hubby, guest, or elder) is going to take offense over why madam served her husband first before the other.
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by Afam4eva(m): 3:09am On May 26, 2013
A Guest is a Guest and should be treated specially compared to everyone else. You should definitely serve him first before your husband except of course your husband disagrees.
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by odumchi: 4:36am On May 26, 2013
In omenali ndi Igbo (Igbo culture), the guest is to be offered oji (kola nut) which he will break. The owner of the house is always the last to receive kola when there are multiple guests. The same goes for food and drinks. And also, when a guest meets you during a meal, you must invite him to join you.
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by Tolexander: 5:29am On May 26, 2013
I think it has to be the guest to show him he is welcomed into the house.
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by Nobody: 8:01am On May 26, 2013
husband should come first!

if wahala burst, guest won't save you.

you have to show that respect even in the presence of the guest by serving your husband first!
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by ifyalways(f): 9:15am On May 26, 2013
@Odumchi, na omenani igbo, a wife would hand the kola to her husband, the husband now presents it to the guest.

@Topic, for food , I set table then inform my husband, he invites the guest to the table. Same for drinks.
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by Afam4eva(m): 9:18am On May 26, 2013
Are we assuming the guest is staying over or just visited and will return back to his abode that same day.
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by ifyalways(f): 9:38am On May 26, 2013
Does it matter Afam?
Even if na 2 minutes visit, I would set table and inform my husband. How they do the rest is not my concern.
Btw, if my husband comes home with a guest, he does the "drinks" entertaining himself so I won't be involved , same for me but if its a guest that came to see us at home, husband asks the guest what he wants/just tell me what drink to bring, I bring and present to him then he serves the guest.

Each man to his own
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by jill(f): 4:49pm On May 27, 2013
Thanks guys,

Even though i'm still not certain of the culturally acceptable thing, i'll just go with serving my husband first, if guest is his peer.

If older, i'll serve guest first.
Re: Who Do I Serve First? My Husband Or A Guest? by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 31, 2013
Well my parents said the right thing to do is to serve the guest first.

(1) (Reply)

This Jewellery Is Used By Most Tribes For Adornment / Any Nembe People On NL? / End Of An Empire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.