Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. (2877 Views)

Which Is The Best Internet Connection In Nigeria? / Reltel Wireless Internet Service / MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by Ejike3: 4:27pm On Apr 27, 2008
The internet connection in our office is shared using D-LINK LAN, most of the computers are connected, but some offices are not connected because of the limitations like number of terminals on the LAN, distance and other things. The management agreed to expand the network without much cost. They are looking in the direction of Wireless to connect both desktops and laptops in the offices.

Kindly help us out on the requirements for the little project. The coverage may not be that much.
I basically need an advice on the Accessories we need, specifications and estimate cost.
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by uspry1(f): 6:13pm On Apr 27, 2008
Is your D-LINK LAN wireless router? How many computers and laptops in the office you have?

For example scenarios:
If you have already existed D-LINK LAN wireless router with only 25 computers that already connected, but there is no connections for remaining 60 computers and 20 laptops in the office .

I recommend you as follow below:

[list]
[li]You will need to configure your D-LINK Network Administrator for wireless networking setup and wireless WPA settings to be enabled[/li]

[li]Then purchase either 80 Linksys wireless-G USB Network adapters or Linksys wireless Network Interface Card (NIC) for hook-up those unconnected 60 computers and 20 laptops. [/li]

[li]Both Linksys wireless-G USB network adapters and NIC are easily detected on its own network configuration that is transmitted from D-LINK LAN wireless router's IP ADDRESS automatically.[/li]

[li]Once all wireless network adapter/NIC has finished restarting, the wireless adapter light should be SOLID GREEN. It means D-LINK LAN wireless router has now been configured to broadcast a wireless signal.[/li]

[li]You still will need to configure each of your computer or laptop's NIC or wireless network adapter repeated until 60 computers and 20 laptops has totally restarting as the wireless light should be SOLID GREEN.[/li]

[li]That's it!!![/li]
[/list]

Check out existing Nairaland thread on the following links below:

Wireless Lan
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-101931.0.html

Wireless Router Connection
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-79459.0.html

How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-33411.0.html

Mikrotik Routeros Is The Best Routing Os Ever : Install As Router Today!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-125072.0.html
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by uspry1(f): 6:17pm On Apr 27, 2008
I am so sorry for not able to provide the estimate cost for wireless network adapter or NIC.

Because I am not in Nigeria nor Nigerian. I come from USA.

You have to go Ikeja Computer Village asking for price quote of either wireless network adapter or NIC.
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by Ejike3: 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2008
The D-LINK contains only 8 tarminals.
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by Ejike3: 7:26pm On Apr 27, 2008
Thank you so much, I have learnt enough from your explanations.
The D-LINK we are using is not wireless. Now I can check the price of D-LINK LAN wireless router.
From what you are saying, it means that we have to get wireless lan for each desktop as they did not come with thier own wireless like laptops.
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by uspry1(f): 12:32am On Apr 28, 2008
Ejike3:

Thank you so much, I have learnt enough from your explanations.
The D-LINK we are using is not wireless. Now I can check the price of D-LINK LAN wireless router.
From what you are saying, it means that we have to get wireless lan for each desktop as they did not come with their own wireless like laptops.

@Ejike3

Now you already have wired D-LINK router that has existed 8 terminals. (no wireless)

You can buy another D-LINK or LINKSYS wireless router as second host computer and multiple D-LINK or LINKSYS wireless network adapaters for each desktop computers and laptops. It will configure the different IP ADDRESS directly to the new wireless router, not the one you already existed wired D-LINK router.

I believe newer laptop should have its own built-in bluetooth WIFI enabled to detect transmitting to the new wireless router. If laptop does not have WIFI capability, you still have to buy NIC installed each laptops the same way for desktop computers.

The more you can expand more multiple wireless network adapters for more computer/laptops in the future use, no problem!!!

Good luck to configure wireless LAN networking system with multiple computers/laptops!
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by Ejike3: 10:41am On Apr 28, 2008
Thanks alot. Is it going to affect our internet connection speed if we share it free without restriction?
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by uspry1(f): 12:24pm On Apr 28, 2008
Ejike3:

Thanks alot. Is it going to affect our internet connection speed if we share it free without restriction?

For Nigeria which I am aware of power failure would affect your internet connection speed - - -cut off and back on. You have to restart your computer/laptops and wireless network adapters again when it comes to power failure or thunderstorm/lightning seasons that slows your connection. Internet provider's server downtime can also affect it too.

For 24/7 week, nope, it will not affect your internet connection speed range from 75%-100% stability if you choose broadband high speed internet provider. I do not know about dial-up connection.

However, there is alternative way using peer-to-peer networking system without internet connection- - -just wireless LAN only to each other. Google it for more info.

Why don't you try on the topic at below:

Mikrotik Routeros Is The Best Routing Os Ever : Install As Router Today!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-125072.0.html
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by Ejike3: 12:55pm On Apr 29, 2008
Thanks moderator.
I will get back after the installation.
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by ramonmulti(m): 1:21pm On Apr 29, 2008
Hello Ejike,

I want to let you know that i am dealer on those wireless equipments mentioned such as Dlink and Linksys products. And i think they are good products for wireless networking. Though, i based in computer village ikeja. I can also delivery to your office or at home. I want you to see below the price list of those wireless items needed for job. You can call me for more information regarding the wireless products at 08033924627. Anayo. Victor.

DLINK PRODUCTS
Dlink wireless Router 108mbps, 11,000:00 Naira
'' '' Router 54mbps, 8,500:00 Naira
'' '' Pci 108mbps, 5,500:00 Naira
'' '' Pci/Usb 54mbps, 4,500:00 Naira
'' '' Usb 108mbps, 6,000:00 Naira
'' '' Pcmcia 108mbps, 6,000:00 Naira
'' '' Access Point 2100AP, 11,500:00 Naira
'' '' Access Point 3200AP, 26,000:00
'' '' 3G Moblie Router+Pcmcia, 35,000:00
'' '' N Router, 18,000:00
'' Print Server Usb, 13,000:00
'' Print Server Usb/Parallel, 15,000:00
'' 24Ports Switch, 8,500:00
'' 16Ports Switch, 7,500:00
'' 8Ports Switch, 2,500:00
'' Omini Directional Antenna 15dbi, 27,000:00
'' Omini Directional Antenna 7dbi, 15,000:00

LINKSYS PRODUCTS
Linksys wireless Router GL, 11,500:00 Naira
'' '' Router G, 10,500:00
'' '' Access Point , 11,500:00
'' '' Pcmcia, 6,000:00
'' '' N Router, 25,000:00
'' '' Pci Adapter, 6,500:00
'' '' Router+Speedbooster, 16,000:00
'' '' IP Camera, 28,000:00
'' '' Print Server, 18,000:00
'' '' 3G Moblie Router, 39,000:00
'' 24Ports Switch, 8,500:00
'' 16Ports Switch, 17,500:00
Cisco Catalyst 2950 24Ports Switch, 63,000:00
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by Ejike3: 5:47pm On Apr 29, 2008
ramonmulti:

i am dealer on those wireless equipments mentioned such as Dlink and Linksys products. And i think they are good products for wireless networking. Though, i based in computer village ikeja.

From what I'v learnt, I don't think I will need all those items at the same time. What exactly is the difference between the Router and the Access Point? Are the both required for the same setup?
I like your prices. I'll give you a call later but I like to get some info on those products like their range or distance they cover.
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by ramonmulti(m): 12:25pm On Apr 30, 2008
Yes you are right in your question difference between router and accesspoint. Router can do the work of accesspoint while access point can't do the work of router, so which means router is more effective in wireless networking.
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by Ejike3: 8:49pm On Apr 30, 2008
What about the coverage?
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by ramonmulti(m): 8:04pm On May 01, 2008
Bascially, the coverage is quite good and it can covers up to 500m or above. But there's wireless outdoor equipment i have that can cover up to 3km and it is called ALCON wireless outdoor, it has repeater/accesspoint/radio/bridge/led light indicator. And it costs 40k. If you are interested in it you can give me a call. This is my GSM number 08033924627. Anayo. Victor
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by Ejike3: 8:09pm On May 01, 2008
That 500m will be ok for the office. I think that should be 500m radius. It is mainly for the office.
Thanks alot.
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by ramonmulti(m): 8:14pm On May 01, 2008
Do you want to be networked wirelessly or wired?  Though, i deals on networking products in computer village ikeja. In case you need any of the networking products i can get it for you at your door step and at affordable price. Thanks.
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by Ejike3: 8:14pm On May 01, 2008
Alphizo:

Please, how can i network and internet connected laptop to a desktop computer

Alphizo Fx

@Alphizo
As the moderator said, see the post below for detail

How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-33411.0.html
Re: Help! I Want To Transmit Wireless Internet Connection. by hycebee(m): 10:33pm On Sep 20, 2010
I want to set up a wireless LAN for my office. I'm planning on using the convectional wireless AP/routers available (linksys, d-link etc) but I'm not so sure if the device will work perfectly because there are lots of partition walls which might interfere the wireless signal. Experts, please recommend a suitable device for me, and I'd be very much grateful if you can also let me know the price as well as where I can get it. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Used Laptops For Sale / Mint Lenovo Y50-70 For Sale / USA Used Sony VAIO T Series Laptop Touchscreen - 65k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.