Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,274 members, 7,836,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

My 2006 Toyota Prado Manual Gear Box Crashed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 2006 Toyota Prado Manual Gear Box Crashed (649 Views)

Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box / Man Who Represented Nigeria In Dubai Auto Racing Returns After His Car Crashed / My 2006 Toyota Prado Manual Gear Box Crashed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My 2006 Toyota Prado Manual Gear Box Crashed by adanny01(m): 10:04pm On May 26, 2013
Some days ago, i had already retired home just to find out i didnt have some supplies. I thought, run to a closeby supermarket and grab sum stuff. Taking the 1st bend onto the main street, changed from gear 2 to 3, pressed the accelerator, then it happened!

The gear disengaged and the engine revved high. Hearing some serious sounds i depressed the clutch and stopped. I listened carefully turning off the stereo, the rattling sounds i was hearing was now too loud for even a novice to ignore. It downed on me that a serious breakdown just happened and possibly this car willnot move itself anymore.

I engaged gear 1, released the clutch, no movements whatsoever except more noise coming for the gear box. Tried 2 but nothing. I then tried R, this time it was moving slowly. I was backing up slowly back to the house but it eventually stopped too.

I called my friend in the house who help me push it back to the house.

My 1st thought was, since i changed the clutch plate and disc in December last year when the clutch plate got burnt, the new plate or disc had broken. Thinking that the plate and disc i used were substandard (i changed in d village) it could actually break and the springs of the plate can easily loose, flying over the flywheel making the noise i was hearing.
I call my mechanic, described what happened, he shared my point of view and set out to change the plate and disc. I took off to buy the disc, but when i came bck, woalaa, the disc and plate were discovered in perfect condition.

They were returned and the problem of the car still persist. My fear was confirmed that the gear box has crashed.

Being my company car, i inherited it from my boss. Two months after i started using the car, the clutch plate burnt. After fixing it, i decided to visit he lube bay to guage gear and axle oils. The gear box was found empty! Rear axle was almost empty! Front axle, very low! Auxillary gear box almost empty!

I guaged them with Total gear oil. Two months later i bought another 4litres of Total gear oil changed the aux gear oil and topped all others. 3months later gear box crashed.

Am at lost on how to get it and how expensive it would be. Gosh i should have checked the gear oil earlier. Some1 told me the gear box is 250k.

Pls friends, service your cars regularly and properly. Meanwhile, na keke things and i lost my breath walking in the hot friday sun, kai e no easy, no A/C.

(1) (Reply)

My 05 Toyota Highlander Needs Help Pls / Super Story On How A Guy Transformed His Car...2 Keep Ur Day Rolling Real Good. / Mercedes V12 Engine Replica

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.