Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,507 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

A Short Story 4 - Algebra - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Short Story 4 - Algebra (1636 Views)

'we're Sorry For Giving You Algebra' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Nobody: 6:31am On May 28, 2013
I was in Class 8. A new teacher came to teach us algebra. He posed a question:
“Ram and Rahim are two brothers. Ram is 8 years elder to Rahim. Also age of Ram is double the age of Rahim. What are the exact ages of Ram and Rahim?”

This is how I solved:
Let age of Ram be a.
Let age of Rahim be b.
As per the question,
a = b +8
a = 2b
Substituting second equation in first and solving, b = 8,
Hence, a = 16, b = 8 (Ans)
Another friend of mine, assumed age of Ram to be x and age of Rahim to be y. And hence came to following answer:
x = 16, y = 8 (Ans)

The teacher, gave my friend full marks and gave me zero. I was shocked.

He explained, “As per the solution in textbook prescribed by school – Mathematics for Schools Part 3, you are supposed to assume ages to be x & y only and not a & b.”

When I protested that how does that matter, I still got the same answer, he showed his generosity. He said, “Had you written one final statement that “Age of Ram is 16 years and age of Rahim is 8 years, I would have still given you some marks. But you just wrote a = 16, b = 8 and hence it is completely wrong as per the prescribed book. So as a sincere teacher, loyal to the prescribed book, I must give you zero. I hate to do so, but I am really sorry.”

I still protested politely, “But Sir, isn’t that very obvious? In a class of mathematics, you are supposed to assess my ability to solve and that I have demonstrated well. In fact I have displayed that I understood the concept and have not mugged up the book. Should you not reward that?”

He got angry, “If you argue, I will throw you out of class.”

I was dumbfound. For years I would recollect and narrate this incident, initially with bitterness, and then as a joke.
It is in the recent years, that I realized this joke to be indeed a very “serious” joke. A joke that has killed millions, nurtured seeds of hatred, stunted growth prospects of almost every citizen, spread miseries, crime, frustration, negativity and made hell out of this heavenly world.

Whether age of Ram and Rahim be a&b, x&y, a1&a2, u&v, p&q or whatever, it doesn’t matter. I don’t care. What is important is the relationship between the two.

And if we look at the world today, and even the brutal history, this dreaded joke could never be understood by us. Only a few understood, and they are ones whom we call saints. They alone understood that whatever name we call anything, it hardly matters. The essence is all that matters.

But still we find it so tough!

So we have one group shouting, “Proud to be Muslim” and another “Proud to be Hindu” and yet another “Proud to be Christian” and so on.

Ask them, what exactly Muslim, Hindu, Christian mean, and there will be huge debates and research and still no conclusion would be reached.

One would say, Muslim means a peaceful person who submits to will of God. Other would say, Muslim is one who considers Prophet Muhammad to be the last prophet. And so on.

Similarly, Hindu would be someone who believes in Ram and Krishna as God for some people. For others, it would be belief in birth after death. And so on.

Same goes for Christians. For some it is belief in Jesus, for some it is belief that Holy Spirit and Jesus are same, for some it is belief in Bible alone and so on.

Link: http://agniveer.com/i-dont-care/
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by wiegraf: 9:17am On May 28, 2013
This is N vs S. Especially NTP vs SJ
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Nobody: 9:36am On May 28, 2013
There's a debate about what a Christian or Christianity is? Where?
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:09am On May 28, 2013
You christians should leave algebra alone because it will bring you confusion.
Let me "solve" your problem and show you how.

a = b+8
a = 2b

2b = b+8
thus
2b-b = 8
b(2-1) = 8
b = 8-(2-1)
b = 7

So, I tell you once again, leave algebra alone because you can arrive at almost any result you want with algebra.
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by brainhack(m): 11:30am On May 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: You christians should leave algebra alone because it will bring you confusion.

a = b+8
a = 2b

2b = b+8
thus
2b-b = 8
b(2-1) = 8
b = 8-(2-1)
b = 7

So, I tell you once again, leave algebra alone because you can arrive at almost any result you want with algebra.

Substituting b=7 into
a=b+8
a=15

Into
a=2b
a=14

Two different *a*s which one should we go with

Ram is 8 YEARS ELDER to Rahim. ALSO age of Ram is DOUBLE the age of Rahim.

I thought a=16 and b=8 was the correct answer cry
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Nobody: 11:59am On May 28, 2013
Ihedinobi: There's a debate about what a Christian or Christianity is? Where?
Where?
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 28, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: You christians should leave algebra alone because it will bring you confusion.

a = b+8
a = 2b

2b = b+8
thus
2b-b = 8
b(2-1) = 8
b = 8-(2-1)
b = 7

Your point?
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 28, 2013
Reyginus: Your point?

Help me ask am.....oooo
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Tinkybabe(f): 2:33am On Jun 03, 2013

a = b+8
a = 2b

2b = b+8
thus
2b-b = 8
b(2-1) = 8
b = 8-(2-1)
b = 7
Mr, are you sure you ever did algebra? How did bracket on the l.h.s equate subtraction on the r.h.s..
You are an olodo tongue

2 Likes

Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Nobody: 6:58am On Jun 27, 2013
Alfa, u fall hand sha
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by MrTroll(m): 7:33pm On Jun 27, 2013
True story, happened to me in JSS3...

In a class test on CRS, the teacher narrated the story of joseph and his brothers to us on how he was sold into slavery and how they later came to him for help unknowingly. Blah blah blah...
Question: if you were joseph what would you do to your brothers since you were now in power and they don't know who you are?
Me: I'll simply bundle all of them into slavery too for them to suffer as I did. cool

Teacher: fail.
Me:
Case closed!
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by tobechi20(m): 10:50pm On Jun 27, 2013
the first thing to do is to define ur aassumed terms;

let a= age of ram and
b=age of rahim

or

let x = age of ram
and y =age of rahim

no body wil fail uuu after definition of terms

1 Like

Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Image123(m): 12:16am On Jun 28, 2013
The story does not relate with the conclusion. i also think the story is a lie.
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by MrTroll(m): 8:21am On Jun 28, 2013
tobechi20: the first thing to do is to define ur aassumed terms;

let a= age of ram and
b=age of rahim

or

let x = age of ram
and y =age of rahim

no body wil fail uuu after definition of terms
did you read the OP at all?
Image123: The story does not relate with the conclusion. i also think the story is a lie.
who says anything about the truthfulness of the story? Comprehension mate, comprehension...
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 28, 2013
Far from them, so it seems...
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Image123(m): 8:34pm On Jun 28, 2013
Mr Troll: did you read the OP at all?
who says anything about the truthfulness of the story? Comprehension mate, comprehension...
oh you don't care about the truthfulness of the story? i see. The end justifies the means for you, it doesn't for me and my house.
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by MrTroll(m): 8:43pm On Jun 28, 2013
Image123:
oh you don't care about the truthfulness of the story? i see. The end justifies the means for you, it doesn't for me and my house.
hehehehe!
I bet all jesus' parables were true huh?

Una just de funny grin
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by Image123(m): 9:03pm On Jun 28, 2013
Mr Troll: hehehehe!
I bet all jesus' parables were true huh?

Una just de funny grin
What is truth?
Again, The story does not relate with
the conclusion. i also think the story is a
lie.
Re: A Short Story 4 - Algebra by MrTroll(m): 9:29pm On Jun 28, 2013
Image123:
What is truth?
Again, The story does not relate with
the conclusion. i also think the story is a
lie.
ok. Feel free...

(1) (Reply)

"How Transparent Should Church Finances Be?" / If You Could Have Supernatural Powers What Would It Be / What Is The Meaning Of This Sign.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.