Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,881 members, 7,956,323 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:58 AM

High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway (20059 Views)

Ambode Declares Second Lekki-epe Expressway Toll-free / Which Is Higher In Nigeria - Birth Rate Or Death Rate? / Massive DEATH RATE Of Yesterday 2go Users... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by bebechuks: 7:43am On Aug 29, 2013
Chynx: This is very correct...but how close are the intervals between pedestrian bridges?
For instance, I was at Agungi yesterday to recharge my PHCN card; and you know PHCN has two offices directly opposite each other on both sides of the expressway. I was directed to the other and had no choice but to cross the road without making use of the pedestrian bridge cos it was almost a mile away..under the blazing sun.
under the blazing sun nd ur life which one is better sir?

2 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Afam4eva(m): 7:46am On Aug 29, 2013
cynthrob:
Then thirdly, I also want to blame the pedestrians, how can you be strolling, making shakara esp guys when crossing such an expressway?
Sometimes just a second separates the guy crossing from the moving car. What if you stumble a bit or miss your step somehow, then you get knocked down.

Most of the accident victims are guys, they are never patient to wait for the road to be clear before jumping in it. A lady can spend up to 10min making sure its safe.
I pity people that bounce like big boys when crossing the road. I used to be like that too but since a certain spirit of fear enetered me, boy, na running things. I can beat Usain Bolt's record when crossing a road. Even before crossing, i wait to make sure i can't sight any car coming. I can even wait up to 30 minutes. Life no get part 2 so man has to be careful.

4 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by charleff512(m): 7:47am On Aug 29, 2013
May God help us
drivers may become pedestrians at anytime
if you are driving be cautious
if not you might one day hit your family member and later cry out
'had i known';(
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by naptu2: 7:51am On Aug 29, 2013
Solutions:

1) The barrier at the median should be extended all along the length of the road in order to prevent pedestrians from crossing.

2) More Man O War and Kai officials should be stationed on the road in order to prevent people from crossing the road. I say this because some people will still attempt to cross the road no matter how many pedestrian bridges you build (see picture below).

www.nairaland.com/attachments/847680_a20ped_jpga23fee70a33a4db6891bdf60a9e3021b

3) Lastma officials should ensure that buses do not stop at illegal bus stops.

4) More pedestrian bridges should be built on the road (I suspect that they want to complete the road first before building more bridges, but I think that building the bridges is more important because lives are at stake).

5) Flyovers should be built at the roundabouts. LCC and government say it's too expensive to build flyovers on the expressway, but I feel that it's inevitable that they will eventually be built (see Mobolaji Bank-Anthony Way).

6) Traffic lights should also be erected at the roundabouts.

7) The Lasambus emergency points should be returned to that expressway.

8 ) We need more public enlightenment campaigns to educate pedestrians about the dangers of jaywalking.

6 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Chinwem(f): 7:53am On Aug 29, 2013
Cynthrob:The most painful of all is when this accident occur people leave the victim to struggle and die on his own, instead of calling the toll free LCC emergency number, they gather the victim, taking picture of him and holding their head.

This annoys the sh1t out of me. When did we become so heartless as a society angry
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Afam4eva(m): 7:56am On Aug 29, 2013
I also think Nigerian drivers are the most heartless in the world. People in this country drive impatiently. Even if they see an aged person crossing the road, their daft mindset will not let them slow down at least. Instead, they'll perform the latest car stunt from a James Bond movie. We have to change our mindset.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Jarus(m): 7:57am On Aug 29, 2013
I agree with OP.

I also live on this route and drive it many times a week (although I don't drive to work everyday).

I have had causes to complain several times about how that road is poorly lit.

People also take the pedestrian bridges for granted.

A policeman was knocked to death by a vehicle around Lekki roundabout couple of months back, just under the pedestrian bridge. Instead of using the pedestrian bridge, he decided to cross the road. Ironically, the policeman was probably stationed there to ensure pedestrians use the bridge!
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by sammybrainy(m): 8:05am On Aug 29, 2013
Boss13:

I don't use the road regularly but I go there often. And if I have a brain I would use a bus to get to the next pedestrian bridge then cross i.e. when I am far off the bridge. I see people trekking the road and there is no social harm in trekking. It is even healthy to walk long distance in order to stay fit.

Lagosians enjoy cutting corners. They enjoy beating the system in order to prove to themselves. But that's pure stupidity. When the next vehicle hits you, I hope you would prove to God how smart you are trying to cross an expressway.
Ok, you mean if I want to get to the other side eh, I should take a bus to the next pedestrian brigde,use the bridge, then take another bus back to the busstop.lol. Guy think again. I use the bridge whenever there's one at the busstop. Try trecking from Elf to Jakande roundabout.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by crux84: 8:14am On Aug 29, 2013
The problem is that the bridgs are FAR in between. I stay in Ikate just beside Lekki Phase one. there is no pedestrian bridge near the bus stops.After lekki phase one roundabout, the next bridge is at Jakande. It's like having one bridge at law school bus top and the next at Lekki Phase one round about. I think they are under the assumption that everyone living around that area own cars. The government has to build more bridges, especially between lekki phase one and Jakande and one at Agungi Bus stop. I spend an average of 15 minutes to cross that road on my way back from work.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by tjpoet: 8:21am On Aug 29, 2013
In Lagos mostly especially, we do not pay any sort of respect to people's lives. I don't know what the society is becoming - a man struggling for his life needs medical attention but all we do is look, take pictures and search for a way to be the first to report. And whatever we report doesn't do any good. At least show empathy; it may be u in that situation next time. Please, let us inculcate the idea of helping others in times like this.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by chucky234(m): 8:23am On Aug 29, 2013
E-Light:
[size=22pt]Eko o ni baje o[/size]
Eko ba lo gan
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Branzy(m): 8:34am On Aug 29, 2013
E-Light:
[size=22pt]Eko o ni baje o[/size]
¿ cold air
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by mbulela: 8:44am On Aug 29, 2013
Fake I.D.:
Am not even based in nigeria but i do visit and very grateful for the information i just read. Generally speaking you have to be careful when crossing the road anywhere in Nigeria. I remember crossing a zebra crossing just outside silverbirds in lagos and nearly being knocked down by an angry driver who i believe don't even know what a zebra crossing is
Those Zebra crossings are actually Tom Tom adverts. I am surprised that you do not know. A molue driver told me.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by mbulela: 8:47am On Aug 29, 2013
crux84: The problem is that the bridgs are FAR in between. I stay in Ikate just beside Lekki Phase one. there is no pedestrian bridge near the bus stops.After lekki phase one roundabout, the next bridge is at Jakande. It's like having one bridge at law school bus top and the next at Lekki Phase one round about. I think they are under the assumption that everyone living around that area own cars. The government has to build more bridges, especially between lekki phase one and Jakande and one at Agungi Bus stop. I spend an average of 15 minutes to cross that road on my way back from work.
The govt has to build more bridges and the people need to encourage the govt by using the existing ones.
Imagine the ones built around Ilasa on the Oshodi/Apapa expressway,folks are still crossing the roads right in front of the bridges. Nigerians are inherently unruly, We need to change.
On another note,a bridge is long over due by that Anthony hilly Junction on the Oshodi/Gbagada axis of the expressway.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by yomilike(m): 8:50am On Aug 29, 2013
Ijogz K: Lemme flash them so that they can have my number,

grin
Mumu, na everything u dey take play sef , see ur big teeth.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by ceasare: 8:58am On Aug 29, 2013
As i will like not to discourage the use of the pedestrian by crossing the high way questions that are begging for answers includes:
1.why are the pedestrians spaced far apart?
2. Why are the pedestrian so steep and climbing unfriendly which is why most pedestrians dont like climbing it.
3.have our policy makers not seen or heard of automated traffic control system with incorporated cctv maned by humans to control driving and pedestrian crossing 24/7.
The problem with us as a group of people in this nation is nobody is answerable for anything more over ehen it comes to public/govt actvties.i believe milions were paid to consultant who design and approve the lekki highway? Who was the govt official that supervised and approved the pedestrian design,roundabout,zebra crossing etc.was that
The best design The taxpayer can gt? Or the cheapest design so that remaining million can be shared amongst d govt official and d state's powerbrokers.
d best design the tax payer can gt or the
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by tishat(f): 9:04am On Aug 29, 2013
i must drop that the road users are the most callous drivers i ve seen in my life time.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by JayCee2010: 9:13am On Aug 29, 2013
Its very sad, the level of disregard for human life in Nigeria.

The bridges are too far apart and most pedestrians would be reluctant to make the long trip, even to protect their own lives.

As an "expressway", I don't tthink traffic lights should be erected, bt then again, with so many bus stops along the way, zebra crossings can be provided at close enough intervals.

Speed limits also need to be enforced as most nigerians drive like drunken retar.ds. Even if lastma or who ever is placed just to extort money from offending drivers, it will ensure that they obey the speed limit to avoid paying fines/bribes.

Pdestrians also need to be careful. Nigerians are very impatient and most don't slow down for people to cross, if anything they speed up. I stood @ agungi for 10mins before crossing earlier this year. I looked ridiculous, people mustve thought I was waiting for a bus, but I eventually got across, safely.

Patience and vigilance is needed to use nigerian roads. As a driver or pedestrian

1 Like

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by telexfree1: 9:17am On Aug 29, 2013
Boss13: It is a criminal offense to cross an expressway in Lagos. If you are not aware please see the Lagos State penal code or listen to traffic fm.

Pedestrians should value their lives by using the pedestrian bridges. There is no excuse for death. Make use of the bridge and save your life. Don't be a James Bond on an expressway.

I almost knocked down a guy and his girl friend and in the event of avoiding them, I almost had an accident likewise the vehicles behind me. The stupid couple were relaxed holding hands and strolling on Oshodi-Apapa expressway.

We need to promote the use of pedestrian bridges in Lagos especially. It is abused alot. I am sorry for people who get knocked down by vehicles. However, why take the risk to cross an expressway. Even if the bridge is far, please use it and if you don't it means you don't value your life.

Were you driving within the speed limit ?
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by telexfree1: 9:26am On Aug 29, 2013
sammybrainy:
Ok, you mean if I want to get to the other side eh, I should take a bus to the next pedestrian brigde,use the bridge, then take another bus back to the busstop.lol. Guy think again. I use the bridge whenever there's one at the busstop. Try trecking from Elf to Jakande roundabout.

What's the big deal in taking an extra step to save your self ? See, if you can't go an extra step even for yourself, how can you rise to the task when you need to go an extra mile to save
another person ?
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 29, 2013
cynthrob:
Even when they see people crossing the road, they maintain the top speed at which they were driving not caring if they smash the person or not. A lot of people miscalculate how fast a car can move and before you say jack, the car far away before is already close to them.

That is the biggest problem, as far as I am concerned. Nigerians are often so insensitive, selfish, inconsiderate, and in some cases downright evil. Whenever I am driving, I ALWAYS slow down if I see people trying to cross ahead. It doesn't matter whether they are cat-walking across or galloping across. I mean, isn't it common sense? But very often when I cross the road as a pedestrian, I notice that most people seem to accelerate more when they see pedestrians trying to cross. They seem to hate the fact that you have the audacity to cramp their style, regardless of whether there is a pedestrian bridge or not. This is sheer bestiality. Even if a driver sees a pedestrian trying to cross the 'highway' right under a pedestrian bridge, he MUST exercise duty of care by slowing down and permitting them to cross safely. These are human beings, after all, not rodents or termites. Another person's negligence does not entitle you to knowingly commit murder. Where is our humanity? Our compassion?

On the other hand, I see many people talk about the need to use pedestrian bridges, rightly so. People should always use pedestrian bridges where available. However, in addition to the fact that these bridges are hardly sufficient, there is another problem that has been overlooked. Using pedestrian bridges (especially at night) presents a uniquely Nigerian problem. You risk being robbed, and in some cases, for ladies, being raped, by miscreants. It has happened to a friend of mine, and I have also heard several other reports about this. The risk is often more when it's quite late, say from 9.pm or thereabout. I don't know whether anyone has experienced this on the pedestrian bridges on Lekki/Epe expressway, but it used to be quite common on bridges on Ikorodu Road, Oshodi/Apapa Expressway, and the 'Ikeja Along' bridge on Agege Motor Road, and a few others.

Nigeria is a difficult place for so many reasons, we really do need extensive social re-engineering to address many of these problems.

4 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Walphem(m): 9:28am On Aug 29, 2013
delors: This road shouldnt be an expressway! if there are bus stops, then it not a highway...it is a commercial way; that is why there are bus stops.
No 2, how in heaven will the lights depend on PHCN when we know the capacity and 'efficiency' of PHCN? Street lights that i know off now, are dependent on solar power...and a country like Nigeria where sun (heat) isnt a problem should power street lights using solar power. With the tolls they collect this shouldnt be hard. This is a big scam and absolute disregard of human safety.
If there must be pedestrian bridges, then it must be at every bus stop or at every 250m. More so, speed limit should be set and displayed on the expressway to caution reckless drivers, while pedestrians should be advised to use the pedestrian bridges if available.
When are we gonna learn?
I understand the point of street light, LCC and Lagos state govt have no excuse to give on that, but with the speed limit; it is boldly attached along the express way and mostly it states 50km/hr. But trust my people they go even reach 140km/hr

1 Like

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by ladeski: 9:30am On Aug 29, 2013
rafhell: Kudos!
I drive that road virtually every day to lekki estate.
One other thing that baffles me is that some people choose to cross the express way instead of using the pedestrian bridge.
Truth be told the pedestrian brides are not enough, especially when you have to walk 800m !
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by ladeski: 9:36am On Aug 29, 2013
freedom@last:
Thank God Okada was banned on that road. It used to be a blood-fest, sometimes with body parts strewn all over the tarmac.
The road is an expressway, and as such, people expect to be able to move at a good speed. Unfortunately, pedestrians arrogantly assume that car drivers are always alert, and can always see them, and will therefore try to avoid them. Most drivers expect pedestrians to be smart especially when crossing the road, and make no provisions for the slow, the weak and unfortunately, the elderly.

Even cars are not spared on the Lekki axis...almost everyday, I see one or more accidents: for instance a bus collided with the concrete divider at the Chevron toll gate on Tuesday 26th August. I got there as they were loading the guy into the ambulance...no idea whether he was dead or alive, or whether other people were injured.

I have not been spared as well, cause my car was hit and badly damaged yesterday, while I was negotiating the Lekki roundabout by a bus that drove out of Lekki Phase 1, without slowing down. Of course his insurance had expired.

Sensitization should be one of the duties of the LCC to educate people on proper road etiquette. It is amazing that within the past two years, on this same road, despite the fact that I usually only ply the road during the off-peak hours, I have seen:

1. A G-Wagon upside down in the middle of the road
2. Innumerable bike accidents, sometimes with the bodies still twitching.
3. A car burn down and its fuel tank spectacularly explode. (ok, not really the fault of the road, but still...)
4. More than 10 Cars drive straight through the roundabout.
5. Cars speed through the bends at the round about, apply brakes suddenly, and lose control.

If you live on that axis, please be veeeeeery careful.
I once saw a car do a 360 degree spin ala James Bond, because he was racing with some other car and lost control. He narrowly avoided the street light pole. sparks flew from inside the engine.
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Adek15(m): 9:38am On Aug 29, 2013
cynthrob: Its so sad the level at which people die while crossing the now expanded Lekki Expressway! Just yesterday I was driving along d road only to see a fully grown guy struggling for survival after been knocked down by a car on top speed. There are for things that is so heartbreaking concerning this issue.

Firstly, I don't understand why on earth d street lights do not come on all the time at night, n we pay toll fee every time we pass through the toll gate. I asked a friend who works with LCC and he said it is because they can't run their Generator all the time. The street light is guaranteed when there is light from phcn.
So why are we paying toll fee Sometimes I don't see people crossing the road at night it is when am already very close to them I see.

Secondly, I don't know why we humans take peoples live for granted, when approaching major bus stops like Agungi, Igboefon and so on why don't you slow down when you drive?

Even when they see people crossing the road, they maintain the top speed at which they were driving not caring if they smash the person or not. A lot of people miscalculate how fast a car can move and before you say jack, the car far away before is already close to them.

Then thirdly, I also want to blame the pedestrians, how can you be strolling, making shakara esp guys when crossing such an expressway?
Sometimes just a second separates the guy crossing from the moving car. What if you stumble a bit or miss your step somehow, then you get knocked down.

Most of the accident victims are guys, they are never patient to wait for the road to be clear before jumping in it. A lady can spend up to 10min making sure its safe.

The most painful of all is when this accident occur people leave the victim to struggle and die on his own, instead of calling the toll free LCC emergency number, they gather the victim, taking picture of him and holding their head.

There is a number to call which is toll free (no charge on your phone).

Please when next you see such a scene do call 08002255522. I called themand they responded.

The media should create this awareness and everyone should be alert!!!
is that numba only 4 lagos or?
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by tete7000(m): 9:38am On Aug 29, 2013
Nonybb: [b][/b]Its Sad the guy had to be knocked down but why is he not using the pedestrial bridge? Must we always blame the govt of our foolishness? Op i think u should rather create awareness about the use of pedestrian bridge than bashing the govt for making our road so motorable
I doubt if people like you read through people comment before talking because I know someone has already explained why in his comment. Learn to listen to others before talking.

O
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by ladeski: 9:42am On Aug 29, 2013
Walphem:
I understand the point of street light, LCC and Lagos state govt have no excuse to give on that, but with the speed limit; it is boldly attached along the express way and mostly it states 50km/hr. But trust my people they go even reach 140km/hr
Is 50 km/hr realistic? a 'standard expressway should be set at 70mph which is about 112kmph. 50 kmph is about 31 mph....alow coach stuff. a middle ground should be advised, 50kmph is too slow. waaaaay too slow
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by ladeski: 9:44am On Aug 29, 2013
Adek15: is that numba only 4 lagos or?
Not unless you have Lekki toll gate in Bauchi, Jalingo or Ijebu.

1 Like

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by ladeski: 9:48am On Aug 29, 2013
pro01:

That is the biggest problem, as far as I am concerned. Nigerians are often so insensitive, selfish, inconsiderate, and in some cases downright evil. Whenever I am driving, I ALWAYS slow down if I see people trying to cross ahead. It doesn't matter whether they are cat-walking across or galloping across. I mean, isn't it common sense? But very often when I cross the road as a pedestrian, I notice that most people seem to accelerate more when they see pedestrians trying to cross. They seem to hate the fact that you have the audacity to cramp their style, regardless of whether there is a pedestrian bridge or not. This is sheer bestiality. Even if a driver sees a pedestrian trying to cross the 'highway' right under a pedestrian bridge, he MUST exercise duty of care by slowing down and permitting them to cross safely. These are human beings, after all, not rodents or termites. Another person's negligence does not entitle you to knowingly commit murder. Where is our humanity? Our compassion?

On the other hand, I see many people talk about the need to use pedestrian bridges, rightly so. People should always use pedestrian bridges where available. However, in addition to the fact that these bridges are hardly sufficient, there is another problem that has been overlooked. Using pedestrian bridges (especially at night) presents a uniquely Nigerian problem. You risk being robbed, and in some cases, for ladies, being raped, by miscreants. It has happened to a friend of mine, and I have also heard several other reports about this. The risk is often more when it's quite late, say from 9.pm or thereabout. I don't know whether anyone has experienced this on the pedestrian bridges on Lekki/Epe expressway, but it used to be quite common on bridges on Ikorodu Road, Oshodi/Apapa Expressway, and the 'Ikeja Along' bridge on Agege Motor Road, and a few others.

Nigeria is a difficult place for so many reasons, we really do need extensive social re-engineering to address many of these problems.
Well written. Have you spent time outside the country, cos your perspective is certainly an exposed one. I stop at zebra crossings on Ajose Adeogun. You should hear the horns from the cars behind me. Basic etiquette and road signs are unknown to a vast majority of Nigerians. mirror nko? SMH
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 29, 2013
ladeski: Not unless you have Lekki toll gate in Bauchi, Jalingo or Ijebu.
cheesy
Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by gbadexy(m): 9:51am On Aug 29, 2013
I would put most of the blames on the pedestrians. Some would be strolling on the road and even be looking at you with a dare on their face.
I'm the ones avoiding pedestrians most times when driving.
I also strongly support the op's observation that pedestrians under estimate the distance covered by a fast moving car too.

2 Likes

Re: High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway by dapyd1(m): 10:15am On Aug 29, 2013
Chynx: This is very correct...but how close are the intervals between pedestrian bridges?
For instance, I was at Agungi yesterday to recharge my PHCN card; and you know PHCN has two offices directly opposite each other on both sides of the expressway. I was directed to the other and had no choice but to cross the road without making use of the pedestrian bridge cos it was almost a mile away..under the blazing sun.
It has happened to me too. Also wanted to recharge my PHCN card. To cross took me about 25 minutes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Arrest Rams For Attacking 65-Year-Old Woman In Ado-Ekiti / Rain Falling In Lagos / Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.