Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,436 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? (10415 Views)

Is It Really Compulsory To Go To Church On Sundays?? / What Kind Of Things Do You Pray About? / As A Christian, Does Your Dressing Really Matter ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by duality(m): 2:12pm On Jun 02, 2013
when there is a burden and you have to pray, pray until you have peace. Jesus was scared of the cross at a time, he spent the whole night praying and his sweat was as blood. this was because of the burden. he spent the whole night praying. what Jesus was going to confront at that time needed more than 20 minutes prayers. Growing up, my mom will say, A christian is as strong as his prayer life. My friend in church will also say; a prayer warrior cannot easily be afflicted by the enemy.

My pastor will say; today's generation of Christians seem to be the ones with the least prayer fire and so you have many powerless Christian. Go to the churches today; you'll discover the time allotted for prayers is between 5 to 10 minutes.

now you can figure out the source of the challenges in the churches.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by chuqudy(m): 2:40pm On Jun 02, 2013
Jerry-jat:

sire..

Why am asking dis is dat...
Am still praying 4 d grace to speak in orda tonges...

And as 4 now.. I sumtyms run out of wat to say while praying...

I dont want to speak in toungues. I pray for blessings and riches from God. If I want to speak french, i go and learn it.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Sprumbaba: 2:51pm On Jun 02, 2013
If you by any chance have a job and responsibilities, you wont pray for 2 hours.

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by bee444: 3:00pm On Jun 02, 2013
Do not be deceived guys, how long you pray has nothing to do with the way or degree to which your prayers get answered by God. There's this general misconception by Pentecostal pastors about praying longer prayers.

There should always be a direction and lead when praying. You pray for things you want God to do for you. Before going to your earthly father to ask for things or direction , you already know what you want to discuss with him. Time spent in such situation would depend on how you communicate your issues with him. Some people are direct and waste no time asking God or their earthly father for what they want, while some would take forever to actually say their thought.

Depending on what works for you, God treat us individually and wouldnt judge you based on the time spent with Him. However, the shortest prayers always carry a powerful intent. Repeatation of prayers has always been the reasons for long prayers (3 to 5 hrs prayers).

And finally, we all pray for different reasons. If you have a pile of prayer points then I expect your prayer to be long. And if you dont, then your prayers should be precise and hit home, hence repeatation would be the order of the day.

While some people would only say fews words and have their prayers answered, some of y'all would have to fast, pray like never before, wait like forever, beg like beggers before your prayers get answered. Above all, faith is key.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by vincent181(m): 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2013
The Bible does not place any limit on how long private or public prayers should be. They may range from a brief prayer before a meal to a long private prayer in which we pour out our heart to Jehovah. (1 Samuel 1:12, 15) However, Jesus condemned self-righteous individuals who made long, showy prayers before others. (Luke 20:46, 47) Such prayers do not impress Jehovah. What is important is that we pray from our heart. Hence, the length of acceptable prayers may vary according to needs and circumstances.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by babypipsy: 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2013
Prayer is simply "communicating with God". If truly you enjoy God's presence, you wouldn't want to leave. Prayer is not only about creating a schedule, kneel down, close eyes and continue asking and asking, sometimes you have to listen too. How often & how long do you desire to talk with your friend? That's the same way you should relate with God through prayer.

I'll recommend you read Chapter Eleven of "purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by studM(m): 3:58pm On Jun 02, 2013
Jerry-jat:

sire..

Why am asking dis is dat...
Am still praying 4 d grace to speak in orda tonges...

And as 4 now.. I sumtyms run out of wat to say while praying...

Ask d Spirit 2 give u utterance(eph6:19),and also I want 2 blive u hv a very limited knowledge of His word in u,cuz prayer is all abt communicating wit God on d basis of His word
Stay blessed young fellow
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by OluwaD1: 5:11pm On Jun 02, 2013
Jerry, the time you spent at the place of prayer is important, but haven't siad that remember the bible says "pray without ceasing', your prayer life grows as your relationship with God gets stronger !
For me I only pray and read the bilbe for 20 to 30minute every morning; but I talk to God as I continued with the day activities.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by onyeego(m): 5:13pm On Jun 02, 2013
And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Truly I say to you, They have their reward. 6But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly. 7But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much
-Matthew 6:5-7

Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.
-Ecclesiastes 5:2

There u have it!
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by bootlegaz: 5:50pm On Jun 02, 2013
Nigerians pray for 14hours daily and uses the left over hours to commit all forms of evil.

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by prosperthonia(f): 7:09pm On Jun 02, 2013
striktlymi: Hi Jerry,

Time spent praying actually matters a great deal and I shyt you not when I say that every Christian is meant to pray without ceasing...

It's really not just about how long we spent in vocal and mental prayers...it also has to do with our thoughts, actions and the way we live our lives as Christians...

Everything we do should be offered to God as a form of prayer...the work we do, the games we play, the way we talk etc should be avenues where we offer prayers to God.
exactly Мy dear, some pple think praying is all about d voicing out aspect of it, our manner of approach, praying involves everything about our daily activities.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by avalontony(m): 7:36pm On Jun 02, 2013
if you are close to God, and communicate with him like a father and son.....the hours u spent praying does not matter and u cant continue repeating words.....just consider prayer as a conversation!!!!.....moses spent forty days and night on a mountain with d lord and when he came down, his face was shining!!! so the time u spent with d lord determines the amount of his presence, glory, power and sprirt in ur life.

1 Like

Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by israel007: 7:44pm On Jun 02, 2013
really
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by ellyjay: 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
Pls really matter to pray,prayer is the key.A prayerless xtian is a powerless xtian
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by admajorem: 9:38pm On Jun 02, 2013
Does it realy mater how long u spend wit ur girl/boy friend or ur mother? D present spirituality and d prevailing political, social and economic situations demands much and longer time with God. 'cant u pray n watch with me 4 at least 1hr?' at least nt at most? Those hu question the tim spent wit God do not know hum dey worship.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Jerryjat(m): 11:49pm On Jun 02, 2013
Hmmmmmmmm...... Tank u all... guys... U've been most helpful...

I would really want more of dis lessons......

Atleast sum1 to confide in... About my spiritual life...

Coz... I really need help...

Well... If dere is any1 here who 4 any reason would want to help.... Either Male or Female...

Should Pls.... Kindly contact me on dis...

Tanx and God bless...
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by pekelepekele(m): 3:19am On Jun 03, 2013
If you spend 2hrs praying ,asking for the wrong thing from God it means you are wasting your time but If you pray for only 10mins and you asked for the right thing with a pure heart it shall be given unto you.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by obowunmi(m): 3:24am On Jun 03, 2013
pekelepekele: If you spend 2hrs praying ,asking for the wrong thing from God it means you are wasting your time but If you pray for only 10mins and you asked for the right thing with a pure heart it shall be given unto you.

How do you know what's right or wrong?
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by churific(m): 4:57am On Jun 03, 2013
How long you pray is between you and your God. A 1 minute prayer could be as effective as a 10 hour prayer. My God is all knowing and I don't need 6 hours to communicate with him.

Besides, the only real evidence of a prayer pattern was given by the "Lord's prayer" and that one lasts for about a minute.

I say pray for as long as you need to or until you feel you've gotten a breakthrough but do not let anyone tell you that you have to pray for a certain length of time to notice any results.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by allwestafrican: 9:51am On Jun 03, 2013
@OP
you dont need to physically and mentally strain ur self,
paul says, make ur request known with thanks giving. Jesus says do not use vain repetitions, cos your father in heaven knows what you need before you ask Him.

the point is go straight to the point
after once stating what you want clearly, when next you want to pray, GIVE THANKS (BELIEVE YOU HAVE RECEIVED)(dont repeat your request(vain repitions) just declare and thank for having received. Jesus prayed days before getting to the grave of lazarus. when He got to the grave HE THANKED GOD FOR HAVING HEARD HIM even though physically nothing had happened yet, but it had happened in spirit already(UR EYES WILL ALWAYS DENY WHAT FAITH HAS GIVEN, SO DONT PRAY WITH OUT CEASING, BELIEVE WITH OUT CEASING)

about speaking in other tongues, its not your work but that of God(NOT TO DISCOURAGE YOU BUT THE JEWS HAD A ZEAL FOR GOD BUT NOT THRU KNOWLEDGE)my point is JUST BELIEVE that you have been enabled to speak and other tongues and speak oout what ever is in you as only the spirit and God can understand what you utter, aslo as you go on speaking the spirit will come in and direct your utterance
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Jamisco: 10:27am On Jun 03, 2013
Jerry-jat:
Hi Guys...

Pls I just Wanna no....

" Does it really Matter how long i Spend Praying "?...

... Coz i hear some people saying dey could pray 4 about 6... 7.... hours or so in a day....

... And i'll b like... my God... dis guys r trying...

Well as 4 me i really cant pray 4 at most.... 20... 30... mins....

So pls i'll like to no how long u spend praying... and if it does mata... how long one prays....

Tanx and God bless....

it does not matter how long you pray but how often you pray, your intention and humility matter in prayers. the Bible says pray without season not without cease.
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by christieneijeom: 11:02am On Jun 03, 2013
Praying prayer is different from saying prayer how long we spend on prayer does not u will be happy when God hear your prayer either short time spend or long is if the Almightt hear u that matters I pray that when we pray God will hear us Amen
Re: How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? by Havana: 1:05pm On Jun 03, 2013
Only the Holy Spirit can direct how long you pray. The more of God you know or how close you are to God in spirit will determine how long you can stay with Him in prayer. YOU PRAY WITH THE AID OF HOLY SPIRIT NOT WITH FLESH, by this you can actually tarry long in prayer. Also meditate more on the word of God, this will build you in Holy Spirit. You can also pray not only on your knee but also in your mind. Eph. 3:20.
Remain blessed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Inconsistences Of The Theories Of Evolution / The Evolution Of Morality / Dirty Car Art And The Foolishness Of Atheism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.