Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,294 members, 7,839,440 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

What Is The Criteria For Someone To Be Called Illiterate? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Criteria For Someone To Be Called Illiterate? (1214 Views)

10 Signs You Only Went To School But An Illiterate / 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO / This "Illiterate" Got Only The Spelling Of His Name Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Criteria For Someone To Be Called Illiterate? by baggylips(m): 4:00pm On May 30, 2013
Fellow nairalanders , please what makes someone an illiterate.is it unable to read and write as dictionary defines illiteracy or do you think more terms need to be added to it.my argument lies from the improper behaviour and conduct of our so called literates and graduates which keeps me wondering whether "passing six is actually passing sense".
Sometimes if the so called educated person behaves you wonder how the hell did this person graduate from school.The worst of it all is that way back then in school I remember one of my lecturers which later became a project supervisor getting drunk on a daily basis only to come to class and disgrace himself infront of students.Please if m'not mistaken, this so called lecturer qualifies to be called literate by the dictionary definition . So in my own opinion I think the definition of literacy should be reviewed and terms like conduct,behaviour and even dressing included.infact literacy should go hand in hand with being responsible.please lets' have your views
Re: What Is The Criteria For Someone To Be Called Illiterate? by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 30, 2013
u ve said it all.g is like u ve my own point of view, i ve seen so many educated pple bt behaves like illiterates, most times d uneducated ones bdmhaves beta. So is nt being educated dat terms some1 literate, other positive tins applies.
Re: What Is The Criteria For Someone To Be Called Illiterate? by Coldblooded(m): 5:35pm On May 30, 2013
baggylips: Fellow nairalanders,please what makes someone an illiterate.is it not unable to read and write as dictionary defines illiteracy or do you think more terms need to be added to it.my argument lies from the unproper behaviours and conduct of the so called literates and graduates which kept me wondering whether "passing six is actually passing sense".sometimes if the so called educated person behaves you wonder how the hell did this person graduate from school.The worst of it all is that way back then in school I remember one of my lecturers which later became my project supervisor getting drunk on a daily basis only to come to class and disgrace himself infront of students.Please if m'not mistaken, this so called lecturer qualifies to be called literate by the dictionary definition.in my own opinion I think the definition of literacy should be reviewed and terms like conduct,behaviour and even dressing included.infact literacy should go hand in hand with being responsible.please let me have your views
Illiteracy is writing a sermon without spacing or including paragraph undecided
Re: What Is The Criteria For Someone To Be Called Illiterate? by baggylips(m): 6:06pm On May 30, 2013
Cold blooded: Illiteracy is writing a sermon without spacing or including paragraph undecided
Mr grammarian that you got my message is all that matters so i don't give a damn.its'people like you that m' talking about.wonder if your own certificate excludes character that's if you have one.
Re: What Is The Criteria For Someone To Be Called Illiterate? by Coldblooded(m): 1:12pm On May 31, 2013
baggylips: Mr grammarian that you got my message is all that matters so i don't give a damn.its'people like you that m' talking about.wonder if your own certificate excludes character that's if you have one.
Oga mi, e never reach like that na...I never meant to get u "angry"!

Sorry if I did.

(1) (Reply)

U. N. N 2013 Staff Request Form ( Quota Form) / Top 3 Most Visited Education Website In Nigeria Revealed / Mapoly's 2013/2014 Admission List.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.