Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Christians: Is This Really The Second Greatest Commandment? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians: Is This Really The Second Greatest Commandment? (538 Views)

Is This Really Happening In Church Today? (photo) / Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? / Does Anyone Believe That 3am Is Really The Evil/demon Hour? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians: Is This Really The Second Greatest Commandment? by ninja4life(m): 5:19pm On May 31, 2013
In d bible jesus made it clear that a christian should love his neighbour as himself.so i will like to ask who d neighbour his?,is d commandment literal or not.i ask dis cos nowadays threads coming up on boko haram issues mostly in d politics section and most christians are supporting d state of emergency declared by d federal government which as lead to death of innocent people.so are those christians right or wrong for supporting d SoE as dey wont hav likely supportd it if they are born a northerner and in which they or their family can lose their lives.is it dat dey donot love their fellow nigerians who are being killed by both boko haram and jtf or dey are only making comments base on their view dat boko haram insurgency have to be stopped.can we say dey donot love their neighbours or not.
Re: Christians: Is This Really The Second Greatest Commandment? by Bukingg2: 5:52pm On May 31, 2013
ninja4life: In d bible jesus made it clear that a christian should love his neighbour as himself.so i will like to ask who d neighbour his?,is d commandment literal or not.i ask dis cos nowadays threads coming up on boko haram issues mostly in d politics section and most christians are supporting d state of emergency declared by d federal government which as lead to death of innocent people.so are those christians right or wrong for supporting d SoE as dey wont hav likely supportd it if they are born a northerner and in which they or their family can lose their lives.is it dat dey donot love their fellow nigerians who are being killed by both boko haram and jtf or dey are only making comments base on their view dat boko haram insurgency have to be stopped.can we say dey donot love their neighbours or not.
christian or not Christian all what you should know is bible has been written if Christian practice it it's still the same bible but if they don't it still remain bible that is the work of God it can never change coz anybody change or did not practice it
Re: Christians: Is This Really The Second Greatest Commandment? by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 31, 2013
Hallo Ninja,

ninja4life: In d bible jesus made it clear that a christian should love his neighbour as himself.

Yea, we are meant to love our neighbours as God loves us.

ninja4life:
so i will like to ask who d neighbour his?,is d commandment literal or not.

The neighbour is anyone apart from you! In other words, we are meant to show love to everyone.

ninja4life:
i ask dis cos nowadays threads coming up on boko haram issues mostly in d politics section and most christians are supporting d state of emergency declared by d federal government which as lead to death of innocent people.so are those christians right or wrong for supporting d SoE as dey wont hav likely supportd it if they are born a northerner and in which they or their family can lose their lives.is it dat dey donot love their fellow nigerians who are being killed by both boko haram and jtf or dey are only making comments base on their view dat boko haram insurgency have to be stopped.can we say dey donot love their neighbours or not.

Now this is a tough one...not sure how I can explain this, such that you would understand...

First of, the question needs to be asked: What is love? So many persons think that love is subjective but I for one believe firmly that love is very objective...

I see love as the act of doing good to someone irrespective of our feelings or emotions. It is very possible to bring tears to someone because you love them...let me give a simple example...

You have a friend who happens to be a junky...this guy comes to you for money to get a fix...you have this money but refuse to give it to him but instead you offer to use that money to get him straightened out...

This guy might hate you for depriving him of his fix and might even feel a lot of hurt in the process but does your action show love or hate?

The Bokoharam ish is a very sensitive matter and I for one do not believe in the gospel of a tooth for a tooth but really we can't stay back and allow Bokoharam carry out the level of harm they bring to various families...if the government sit back and allow this then they lack the spirit of love...

Supporting the government for the right reasons is not wrong, what makes the comment of those in politics section wrong would be their intention for the support...are they supporting the government because they want revenge? If revenge is their thing then they do wrong by Christ.

Note that in itself what the government is doing is not wrong but the way they go about doing what is right matters a whole lot...if they are reckless with little value for life then it's high time they started a new strategy.
Re: Christians: Is This Really The Second Greatest Commandment? by ninja4life(m): 9:47pm On May 31, 2013
striktlymi: Hallo Ninja,

Yea, we are meant to love our neighbours as God loves us.

The neighbour is anyone apart from you! In other words, we are meant to show love to everyone.

Now this is a tough one...not sure how I can explain this, such that you would understand...

First of, the question needs to be asked: What is love? So many persons think that love is subjective but I for one believe firmly that love is very objective...

I see love as the act of doing good to someone irrespective of our feelings or emotions. It is very possible to bring tears to someone because you love them...let me give a simple example...

You have a friend who happens to be a junky...this guy comes to you for money to get a fix...you have this money but refuse to give it to him but instead you offer to use that money to get him straightened out...

This guy might hate you for depriving him of his fix and might even feel a lot of hurt in the process but does your action show love or hate?

The Bokoharam ish is a very sensitive matter and I for one do not believe in the gospel of a tooth for a tooth but really we can't stay back and allow Bokoharam carry out the level of harm they bring to various families...if the government sit back and allow this then they lack the spirit of love...

Supporting the government for the right reasons is not wrong, what makes the comment of those in politics section wrong would be their intention for the support...are they supporting the government because they want revenge? If revenge is their thing then they do wrong by Christ.

Note that in itself what the government is doing is not wrong but the way they go about doing what is right matters a whole lot...if they are reckless with little value for life then it's high time they started a new strategy.
thanks but u really need to see some of those comments and i makes me imagine how some of those hyprocrites will go about disturbing people with their beliefs calling on god to destroy those brainwashed extremist when in actual fact it seems dey cannot obey d commandment of loving ur neighbour as ur self,so do u think by doing dat dey hav sinned and will be judged or not.
Re: Christians: Is This Really The Second Greatest Commandment? by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 31, 2013
ninja4life:
thanks but u really need to see some of those comments and i makes me imagine how some of those hyprocrites will go about disturbing people with their beliefs calling on god to destroy those brainwashed extremist when in actual fact it seems dey cannot obey d commandment of loving ur neighbour as ur self,so do u think by doing dat dey hav sinned and will be judged or not.

I understand your grievance but I can't say if they have sinned or not because I am not privy to their conversation and sin has a lot to do with the intent of an individual...their intentions are known only to God.

(1) (Reply)

No! Pastor Adeboye, Your Approach Is Wrong… Peniel Plus / Coza’s Senior Pastor, Biodun Fatoyinbo accused Of Adultery / Is Giving Ur Used Clothes & Things U Dont Or Cant Use Again To People Good

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.