Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,182 members, 7,860,243 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:16 AM

University Student Duped N215,000 In Banking Hall - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / University Student Duped N215,000 In Banking Hall (797 Views)

Missing Coventry University Student Found Dead. / Cameroonian University Student Found Dead In Bush After Being Raped (pics) / Woman Meets Her Raper In Banking Hall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

University Student Duped N215,000 In Banking Hall by Maxymilliano(m): 9:02am On Jun 01, 2013
His case is an eye opener to a new wave of crime in the banking environment, which requires a decisive action from security operatives.

On March 13, 2013 when Toba Adedeji, a 100 level student of Redeemer University, Ota, went to Zenith Bank PLC, Sango Ota, Ogun State, to pay his school fees, he never knew he was going to fall prey to swindlers inside banking hall.

On that day, the 16-year-old boy queued like other customers, but in his own case, he wanted to deposit N215,000 before a fast trick was played on him.

He was eventually dispossessed of the money. How did it happen? Investigation by Saturday Independent revealed that there was more in the incident than meets the eye.

Toba, whose lawyer is set to commence a legal proceeding against the bank, said: “On that day, I came into the bank and went straight tothe bulk room.

“I had to queue because of the crowd, after explaining that I wanted to make e-transfer payment at the bulk room. I was given a tally number by a security man attached to the bank. He directed me back to the banking hall for payment.”

While on queue, he was approached by a man whom he assumed was a staff of the bank. The man acted as cashier. He took Toba upstairs and collected the teller he filled with the money in an office he claimed was designated for e-payment in the bank.

In between the process of the transfer, the purported cashier made away with the money and the teller. The poor boy was forced to raise alarm after waiting endlessly for the stamped teller from the so-called cashier.

The scene created by the alarm forced the management to lock the entrance to the bank and conducted a search for the cashier, who was by then nowhere to be found.

His mum, Mrs. Funmilayo Adedeji, stormed the bank minutes after she was called and later reported the case at Sango Police Station that day.

Checks by Saturday Independent revealed that on March 14, at the request of the police,while Toba and his mum were at the station, the bank’s officials did not honour the invitation.

On March 15, the branch manager of the bank (name withheld) was at the station with one of his workers but the security man who allegedly related with the boy at the bank was not brought to the station.

The bank officials, at the police station, insisted that they were not liable for the crime committed in their premises.

However, on March 22, the police, Toba and his mum were at the bank to view the play back of the Close Circuit Television (CCTV), a video camera that records activities in the bank. According to Toba’s mum: “When the CCTV was played, the visuals were not clear enough.”

“It captured Toba while on the queue at the banking hall, and he was asked to go into an office upstairs and when he was raising alarm after the money was collected from him.

“However, the CCTV did not reflect when my son was at bulk room chatting with the security man who directed him to join the queue on the banking hall and what transpired at the bulk room.

“I demanded from the bank to show us what transpired at the bulk room but they said a camera was not attached to the room and as such, what transpired there was not captured.”

After the visit to the bank and nothing was forthcoming on the matter from the police officer in charge of the matter, on April 4, Toba’s mum wrote a petition to the Divisional Police Officer, Sango Ota, stating her displeasure thus: “I reported the case of stealing against some hoodlums at Zenith Bank, Ota, on 13/3/2013 and it was referred to one police officer, Lawal, for investigation.

“I hereby submit as follows that he did not handle my case diligently as expected.

There are people to be arrested within the bank and he failed to arrest them. I hereby appeal to you to use your good offices to call him to other or ensure justice is done.”

Not satisfied with the attitude of the Sango police on the matter, the family engaged the services of legal practitioner, Lanre Ojo.

The Ogun State-based lawyer petitioned the Commissioner of Police in the state on April 30, asking that the matter be revisited and properly investigated so that the culprits would be brought to book.

Speaking with our correspondent, Ojo averred that: “It was a case of organised syndicate of dupers operating in the bank. We are in touch with the police. It is up to them to carry out their duty accordingly.

Very soon, we shall be heading for the court to get justice.

“The management of the bank, as far as I am concerned, has a case to answer. We won’t stop until we get justice on this matter. At the appropriate time, we would approach the court, which is the last hope of the common man.”

Ojo added that, “a matter like this, in the interest of all parties, should be thoroughly investigated, otherwise we would be harbouring criminals in the society. Not only that, I feel strongly that innocent customers should be properly guarded and protected when making transactions in the bank. This is an obligation management of banks owe Nigerians entrusting them with their hard earned money,”

When our correspondent visited the bank to speak with the management, a senior staff simply identified as Benjamin, who we were told is the Head of Cooperate Affairs unit of the bank and who appeared not willing to comment on the issue said: “We don’t have anything to say. We are aware of the matter. Our legal department at Victoria Island, Lagos, has been briefed. We are aware that the matter would soon go to court so go and get comments from them.”

But when Zenith Bank Corporate Affairs Head Office, Lagos, was contacted for comment, a senior officer, who spoke under anonymity, painted another picture about the development.

Although, he initially pleaded for time to be properly briefed about the incident, when he eventually reached out to our reporter, he said: “From what we gathered, it was true that the incident happened at the bank, but when the video of the incident was replayed, the fellow the boy gave the money was not our staff.”

“I should think, he (Adeoye) was carried away by the queue and in the process his innocence was capitalised upon by somebody we don’t know. However, the bank will through its own internal mechanism, investigate the matter and get back to the boy and his parents soon.”

Reiterating his stand that he was led to the banking hall by a security man attached to the bank, Toba in an emotion laden voice said: “When we were at the bank to view the video of the incident, what transpired at the bulk room of the bank was not shown to us. Since my mum took the matter to the police, I was called by one man who said he was calling from Zenith Bank Headquarters in Lagos.

“ He asked me to come to their headquarters at Victoria Island. I didn’t honour the invitation. I told my mum about it and I gave her the phone number of the man that spoke with me and I also mentioned it to my uncle. Since then, I have not heard anything from them.”

Recalling her frustration on the matter on Friday, Mrs Adedeji said: “Well, since my son received a phone call from someone, who claimed to be a staff of the bank, we have not heard anything on this matter.

“We are being careful after the matter has been reported to the police. All we want is thorough investigation by the police so that the truth would be unveiled and justice done accordingly. It is no longer in our hands. Let the security operatives do their job without fear or favour and the court would follow suit.”

However, Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Muyiwa Adejobi, confirmed that the state Police Command, was aware of the incident and investigation has commenced. He said the police would not relent in its effort to get to the root of the matter and ensure that justice is done accordingly.

“The incident has been transferred to the Surveillance Criminal Investigative Department (SCID), Eleweran, Abeokuta, and we assure the complainant of justice,” Adejobi said.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/06/boy-16-duped-n215000-in-banking-hall-family-cries-foul/

(1) (Reply)

Iz It Possible For A Girl To Claim She Was Sexually Assaulted / Man Stabs Prostitute For Refusing To Give Him Used Condoms / "Sex Was Going On, Money Was Not Coming"26-year-old Student Robs, Kills Boyfrien

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.