Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,583 members, 7,861,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 07:01 PM

Arsene Wenger Says Arsenal Made A Mistake Not Signing Gareth Bale - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Arsene Wenger Says Arsenal Made A Mistake Not Signing Gareth Bale (552 Views)

Akpom SAYS Arsenal Players Really Want Me To Score / Alexis Is A Bull, Says Arsenal Captain Arteta / Wenger Says He'll Get Luis Suarez (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Arsene Wenger Says Arsenal Made A Mistake Not Signing Gareth Bale by fortuneprince(m): 3:57pm On Jun 04, 2013
Arsene Wenger has acknowledged he made a 'huge mistake' in not signing Tottenham Hotspur star Gareth Bale for Arsenal.

Bale joined Tottenham in the summer of 2007 from Southampton, 18 months after his former team-mate Theo Walcott had moved to Arsenal.

Wenger was tracking both players, but the Arsenal manager felt he had enough options at left-back at the time and decided against a bid for Bale, who has since blossomed into a devastating attacking player.

"We didn't take him as we had Ashley Cole and Gael Clichy and didn't want another left-back," Wenger told Al Jazeera Sport.

"I must confess it was a huge mistake as he can play in midfield. He struggled at the start at Tottenham, then they moved him to midfield and he has done exceptionally well.

"The career of a player sometimes depends on playing in the right position."

Yet, despite missing out on signing the current Footballer of the Year, Wenger was happy to have captured Walcott, adding: "At some stage, we were on about taking the two if possible.

"But we could get Walcott and I am very happy. You'd be amazed by the number of players we should have signed. Every club misses players."

However, Wenger accepts that Bale has the potential to rival the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi as one of the best players in the world.

Wenger continued: "He has the potential. Now it depends on his consistency at the top level and injuries.

"If you look at Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi - the two head figures of world football - they have fantastic health and don't miss a game. Bale has power, pace and direct play in his game.

"I still think he is a typical flank player and they are so difficult to find. I think he is too young to move to the middle."

(1) (Reply)

AC Milan Owner Berlusconi Jailed For Seven Years / What Happened To Nairaland Volunteers? / Tour De Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.