Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student (14905 Views)

Adamawa State University Shut Down Indefinitely / Anambra University Renamed After Ojukwu / Ekiti State University Shut Down Indefinately (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by bcomputer101: 12:55am On Jun 06, 2013
Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State on Wednesday ordered the closure of Anambra State University after students demonstration paralysed activities at the Igbariam campus of the university.

Students had gone on the streets on Wednesday morning after gunmen, suspected to be armed robbers, killed a female student the night before.

The students, who blocked the Igbariam – Awkuzu Road and the Enugu -Onitsha Expressway, accused the management of the institution of failing to provide adequate security for students.

They also called for on-campus accommodation for students, complete with water and power supply.

Governor Obi cut short his visits to mission hospitals and schools and rushed to Igbariam on hearing about the students’ demonstration.

He immediately ordered that the institution be closed when the students could not be controlled.

http://www.punchng.com/news/anambra-varsity-shut-female-student-killed/
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Garrithe1st: 1:12am On Jun 06, 2013
R I P to the dead.

I see no reason why majority of our Undergraduates can't find accommodation within the campus. That's one important area where almost all our Universities are lacking......

2 Likes

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by gbanikiti(m): 1:21am On Jun 06, 2013
I don't know why most state governments cannot provide hostel accomodation for students in the school premises.from LASU to IMSU to ANSU,all operate off campus system.even some federal universities who have on campus system lack basic amenities.no security for students either.very pathetic!

2 Likes

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by bcomputer101: 1:24am On Jun 06, 2013
gbanikiti: I don't know why most state governments cannot provide hostel accomodation for students in the school premises.from LASU to IMSU to ANSU,all operate off campus system.even some federal universities who have on campus system lack basic amenities.no security for students either.very pathetic!

STOP BLAMING THE GOVERNMENT.

Try and visit the school hostels, i believe there will be a lot of vacant room there.

RIP to the dead...
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by gbanikiti(m): 1:42am On Jun 06, 2013
bcomputer101:

Try and visit the school hostels, i believe there will be a lot of vacant room there.

RIP to the dead...
who should i blame then? The students? Me sef I follow go university o! If the hostels are well managed and conducive for human habitation,the number of students living off campus will not be as high as it is.abi no be so?

1 Like

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Garrithe1st: 1:49am On Jun 06, 2013
gbanikiti: I don't know why most state governments cannot provide hostel accomodation for students in the school premises.from LASU to IMSU to ANSU,all operate off campus system.even some federal universities who have on campus system lack basic amenities.no security for students either.very pathetic!

Even most Federal Universities cannot provide decent hostel accommodation for students. In most of these institutions, majority of the students stay off-campus hence the lack of security.

Very sad indeed!!

1 Like

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Garrithe1st: 1:51am On Jun 06, 2013
bcomputer101:

RIP to the dead...

Which school did u attend??

3 Likes

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by curiouslad(m): 8:59am On Jun 06, 2013
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by dedons: 9:00am On Jun 06, 2013
Na wa o

make i talk am quick

END TIME!!!
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by dedons: 9:03am On Jun 06, 2013
Garri the 1st:

he attended one of those fake unapproved universities in nigeria
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Reachyrich(f): 9:04am On Jun 06, 2013
Lack of social amenities.
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by dedons: 9:05am On Jun 06, 2013
My oga @ the top must not hear this

1 Like

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 06, 2013
Bia Mr. Peter Obi, let nothing happen to my only brother or else that state no go enta the two of us if I come back. Beta provide security for dat school undecided
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Okijajuju: 9:09am On Jun 06, 2013
My beloved Anambra State... cry

I knew that immediately they destroyed my Shrine HQ at Okija, that evil men would besiege the land. cry

RIP to the dead girl.

1 Like

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by venorite(m): 9:10am On Jun 06, 2013
In as much as the government has a lot to do,violence shouldn't be an option.rest in peace to the deceased
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by koolet: 9:17am On Jun 06, 2013
Ehyaaah...mtchew
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Aafulenu(f): 9:20am On Jun 06, 2013

my dear, dont talk what u dont knw.

i graduated from ANSU Igbariam campus, and let me tell u d hostels are empty, if u need a room now u can get it, they all want to live @ Awka(so they can pretend to be unizik students), Akwuzu, umudioka, ifite dunu, Achalla etc.
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by davesndy: 9:24am On Jun 06, 2013
This too will pass. Rest in peace
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by kawkab: 9:28am On Jun 06, 2013
Why is it that any time students of tertiary institutions in Nigeria want to protest; they always resort to blocking federal Highway thus impeding the movement of goods and persons. It is not always the best option. Though it may be that they want to get maximum attention.

Other alternatives should be adopted.
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Ndyoo(m): 9:30am On Jun 06, 2013
the university buildings are dilapidated...peter obi is the worse governor ever in Anambra state
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by slap1(m): 9:33am On Jun 06, 2013
RIP.
Our parents say their university days were better than ours. I shudder when I think that my kids may face a worse system. I mean, what could be worse than what we see today?

1 Like

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by dabrake(m): 9:36am On Jun 06, 2013
Ndyoo: the university buildings are dilapidated...peter obi is the worse governor ever in Anambra state
still better than chiwonke mbadinuju
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Chidave20(m): 9:38am On Jun 06, 2013
I am a student of ANSU and can tel u dat d boys hostel cnt contain mre dan 50 students while d girls hostel though bigger cnt contain al d female students coz we hv mre of female students..we nid security in ANSU..dis is nt d ist tym nor is it d 7th time,it haz bn hapenin espacially dat particular area of OTOKO wer students stay..dy shld re open d skul pls
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by dnawah(m): 9:40am On Jun 06, 2013
bcomputer101:

RIP to the dead...
sure?on less is private universities.no dey talk wetin u no know.IMSU no get even one room inside it
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by camelus: 9:41am On Jun 06, 2013
gbanikiti: who should i blame then? The students? Me sef I follow go university o! If the hostels are well managed and conducive for human habitation,the number of students living off campus will not be as high as it is.abi no be so?
Naso !!!
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by camelus: 9:44am On Jun 06, 2013
dabrake: still better than chiwonke mbadinuju
Peter Obi is the best Governor Anambra State has ever produced.
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by myOGAonTOP: 9:47am On Jun 06, 2013
Aafulenu:

my dear, dont talk what u dont knw.

i graduated from ANSU Igbariam campus, and let me tell u d hostels are empty, if u need a room now u can get it, they all want to live @ Awka(so they can pretend to be unizik students), Akwuzu, umudioka, ifite dunu, Achalla etc.

abeg hold it there! As if we did not attend these institutions were the toilet facilities are nothing less than disease breeding centers, no recreational facilities and faulty electric systems. In ABSU alone, in a space of 3 years 5 hostels had caught fire because of faulty electrical systems. Students face severe water scarcity in ANSU school hostels, EBSU hostels are as insecure as de gea in the goal mouth etc.
Its not logical to assume that these students moved out because of the uniZik status cos the university is not a secondary school where you face restrictions as regards to your 'flexing'. ........... get the faq out!!!

1 Like

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by ifeomabernard(f): 9:48am On Jun 06, 2013
Garri the 1st:

U S A united state of aba university
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by myOGAonTOP: 9:50am On Jun 06, 2013
kawkab: Why is it that any time students of tertiary institutions in Nigeria want to protest; they always resort to blocking federal Highway thus impeding the movement of goods and persons. It is not always the best option. Though it may be that they want to get maximum attention.

Other alternatives should be adopted.

what better alternatives? Kamikaze-styled riots and looting ? Or arson?
Poo-see!!!!
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by achi4u(m): 9:55am On Jun 06, 2013
Rip dear

but ppl are dieing to many this days.
Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by Aafulenu(f): 9:57am On Jun 06, 2013
Ndyoo: the university buildings are dilapidated...peter obi is the worse governor ever in Anambra state

are u high?

dabrake: still better than chiwonke mbadinuju

dont mind the guy, when i was a student, in my 1st year, we had nothing, no hostel, no class, just one building made with zink. and there classes we were strugling with agric students. we didnt even have road to the school, no bus, three people will enter one bike, sometimes someone will sit in front (on d tank) of a bike.

but by the time i was graduating 4yrs later, we had hostels, class buildings, good roads, school buses, borehole water (we used to go to stream b4). and all these happened during peter obi's administration.

1 Like

Re: Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student by ifyalways(f): 9:59am On Jun 06, 2013
Chidave20: I am a student of ANSU and can tel u dat d boys hostel cnt contain mre dan 50 students while d girls hostel though bigger cnt contain al d female students coz we hv mre of female students..we nid security in ANSU..dis is nt d ist tym nor is it d 7th time,it haz bn hapenin espacially dat particular area of OTOKO wer students stay..dy shld re open d skul pls
undergraduate wrote this?
Itsok!
May the dead find peace with her maker.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Application Procedure For NLNG Prize For Science – 2017 [the Prize Is $100, 000] / How To Apply For Technical Study Scholarship / Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.