Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary (15039 Views)

Unseen Photo Of Captain And Crew On Board Nigerian Warship NNS Thunder F90 / Photos Of Norwegian Warship Allegedly Bought By Tompolo / Jonathan Launches First Nigerian-Built Drone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 06, 2013
Handsomeemmy: Here is the picture.
this one no be warship,this is a flying boat
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by Plutonium(m): 10:39am On Jun 06, 2013
This na ship? abi na boat. grin
naptu2: NNS Andoni

https://www.nairaland.com/951813/picture-first-locallly-made-navy
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by PvtParts1: 10:40am On Jun 06, 2013
naptu2: NNS Andoni

https://www.nairaland.com/951813/picture-first-locallly-made-navy

more like a PT-BOAT class than a war ship
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 10:42am On Jun 06, 2013
NNS Andoni (P100) is a coastal patrol boat (that's what the P stands for). It is meant to patrol the coastline and take action against oil thieves, pirates, smugglers, militants, etc. It is not even a corvette, so you can't compare it with frigates, destroyers, etc. It is meant to do a specific job and so far it has done it well.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 10:44am On Jun 06, 2013
Pvt. Parts:

more like a PT-BOAT class than a war ship

That's exactly what it is (remember PT-109? President Kennedy's boat during the 2nd World War. It's something like that). It's civilians that call it a warship.
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by PvtParts1: 10:48am On Jun 06, 2013
naptu2:

That's exactly what it is (remember PT-109? President Kennedy's boat during the 2nd World War. It's something like that). It's civilians that call it a warship.

Yeah but lets give them some credit for building it. I know that in the Niger-Delta area a lot of small fabrication yards have been in existence for decades which help to service both the multi-national oil coys and local fishing industry. I hope the Navy will patronize them more in future.
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 10:51am On Jun 06, 2013
We've made steady progress in the last few years. I just wish nigerians would have a little more confidence in Nigeria.

In the last few years we've had a nigerian built patrol boat, a nigerian made armoured personnel carrier and nigerian made drones.

Unfortunately, some nigerians still don't have confidence in Nigeria. I can't understand why the armed services would buy foreign made bullet proof vests and helmets, when they are made at DICON (and the DICON made equipment is even much cheaper, with the same quality). I hope these projects do not go the way of the "Air Beetle".
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 10:53am On Jun 06, 2013
Pvt. Parts:

Yeah but lets give them some credit for building it. I know that in the Niger-Delta area a lot of small fabrication yards have been in existence for decades which help to service both the multi-national oil coys and local fishing industry. I hope the Navy will patronize them more in future.

Yeah, that's what I mean. See the post above.
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by PvtParts1: 10:53am On Jun 06, 2013
Strategically what will have been better within the creeks would have been air boats. They are cheaper and easier to maintain and can navigate faster in low waters with vegetation encroachment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 06, 2013
We should spend more money on projects like this-where we can build capacity and improve our manufacturing to retain our revenues and create more jobs for Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 11:18am On Jun 06, 2013
Pvt. Parts:
Strategically what will have been better within the creeks would have been air boats. They are cheaper and easier to maintain and can navigate faster in low waters with vegetation encroachment.

I believe Renaissance Marine already builds them for the Nigerian Navy here in Nigeria.

http://rmc.com.ng/airboats/specifications
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by MrCork: 11:49am On Jun 06, 2013
...huh...Nigerian built War ship??...wit wot??...firewood?undecided
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by AbuMikey(m): 12:00pm On Jun 06, 2013
Ok.....Nice
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 12:04pm On Jun 06, 2013
-Mr Cork-:

...huh...Nigerian built War ship??...wit wot??...firewood?undecided

Hhahahahahahaha! It's Dr Cork.
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by aninkri(m): 12:29pm On Jun 06, 2013
playcharles: is this warship or warboat.... a locally made RPG will take down this mini warboat to piece were no fit witsand the current of atlantic ocean
All you ever do is criticise i doubt if you have ever built anything in your life
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 06, 2013
NO WONDER PIRACY AND BUNKERING IS RIFE undecided
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 1:56pm On Jun 06, 2013
[size=14pt]Navy arrests 15 Russians aboard ship loaded with arms and ammunition.[/size]

The Nigerian Navy is reassuring the nation that its territorial waters will be adequately protected against all forms of criminality across Nigerian waters.

As a proof of that commitment, the Navy handed over to the police 15 Russians arrested aboard a ship loaded with arms and ammunition for further investigation and possible prosecution.

The vessel was arrested on October 19, last year, at the Lagos roadstead of the nation’s waterways by personnel of the NNS Andoni for illegal entry into the nation’s waterways as well as for non-declaration of cargo and possession of a cache of arms and ammunition.

The vessel, which departed from the port of Toliara Madagascar en route Conakry in Senegal, was intercepted on Nigerian waters with about 14 assorted AK47 rifles with 3,643 ammunition and 20 Benelli MRI 20 barrel with 4955 ammunition.
The 15-man crew was formally handed over to the men of the Special Fraud Unit (SFU), Force Criminal and Investigation Department at the Western Naval Command (WNC), Apapa, Lagos.

The crewmembers were identified as Lopatin Alexey, Varlygin Igor, Mishin Pavel, Dmitry Bannykh, Alexander Tsarikov, Kononov Sergei and Vorobev Mikhail.
Others were Baranovskiy Nikolay, Zhelyazkov Andrey, Savchenko Sergey, Illia Shubov, Oleksiuk Stephan, Alexander Tsarikov and Korotchenko Andrey.

Overseeing the handover session, the Commanding Officer, NNS Beecroft, Commodore Martin Njoku, said the navy was releasing only the crewmembers to the police and not the vessel and ammunition.

He said: “As our constitution demands and in the spirit of inter-cooperation, we are handing over the crewmembers to the Nigeria Police to continue their investigations.
“Note that we are handing over for further investigation and necessary action because we have done our preliminary investigations where we discovered that they were carrying fire arms.”

While receiving the crewmembers, the Deputy Commissioner of Police, SFU, Bashiru Mu’azu, said the police would proceed with investigations from where the navy had stopped.

He said: “For the navy to have handed over the suspects to the police, it means the suspects have a case to answer and we will ensure that a thorough investigation is carried out.

“We will also ensure speedy and quality investigation as well as prosecution of the suspects, if need be. But for now, we will detain the Russians until we complete our investigation.

“So far, we have no clue as to the owner of the arms and ammunition or where the suspects where carrying them to but that is what we intend to find out.”
Although he refused to disclose the identity of the owner of the arms and ammunition, the vessel’s captain, Zhelyazkov Andrey, said the Russian consul was fully aware of their case.

TVC News gathered that the arrested ship was flying a Dutch Island flag when it was sighted in Lagos on October 20, 2012.
While confirming the arrest of the ship, the Flag Officer Commanding (FOC), Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Ameen Ikioda, had said the vessel entered the Nigerian waters without appropriate notifications from the naval authorities.

He said: “Part of our responsibility in Lagos area is to create a very conducive maritime space for legitimate maritime businesses to thrive.  Therefore, anytime we see something that is infringing on such an opportunity, we try to see how best we can address it.”

“The discovery of the weapons and ammunition on board is an infringement of the laws of this country.”

Information obtained from the ship’s website shows that its operation has been suspended following the arrest.

http://tvcontinental.tv/2013/01/08/navy-arrests-15-russians-aboard-ship-loaded-with-arms-and-amunition/
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by aglomar: 2:04pm On Jun 06, 2013
lnvention indeed!
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:18pm On Jun 06, 2013
naptu2: This thread reminds me of Beaf. He made the original thread very lively a year ago.
RIP to the fiercest lapdog!
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by TonySpike: 2:23pm On Jun 06, 2013
SLIDE waxie:
RIP to the fiercest lapdog!

BEAF is very much alive on Nairaland. His new moniker is BILLYONAIRE...
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by crisycent: 2:32pm On Jun 06, 2013
na canoe be this abi ship?
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by Ochek: 2:56pm On Jun 06, 2013
autumn.flower:
Coast guard boat that they are calling warship?

FYI, the word is "assembled" not made

Them say "built", you say "assembled". You be naval officer wey sabi how them take build am ni?
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 06, 2013
Handsomeemmy: Here is the picture.

What was that?...Chief Polycarp Oyoyo's yacht will mash up this canoe in a head on collision.

I wasnt expecting a zumwalt-class destroyer but asari's lifeboat can sink this kayak without wasting a pinch of gun powder.. grin grin

No wonder Naija navy keep having problem dealing with ijaw local navy.
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 06, 2013
naptu2:
NNS Aradu

Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 4:16pm On Jun 06, 2013
I saw NNS Andoni late last year going on patrol with one of the two patrol boats donated by Lagos State Government. I was at Marina and I saw them sail from NNS Beecroft, past Apapa Port and out to sea.

Below: the boats donated by Lagos State

Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by kabaka1: 8:52pm On Jun 06, 2013
autumn.flower:
Coast guard boat that they are calling warship?

FYI, the word is "assembled" not made

Every big thing has a humble beginning. At least, u should applaud for this humble beginning of this industry. I know d next one they build will be bigger than this one
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by dljbd1(m): 9:07pm On Jun 06, 2013
What does Ex ICUHNTA and NNS stand for please?
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 9:23pm On Jun 06, 2013
dl_jbd: What does Ex ICUHNTA and NNS stand for please?

NNS = Nigerian Navy Ship. It could also mean Nigerian Naval Station (we also have NNAS which means Nigerian Naval Air Station).

Ex Icuhnta was a training exercise at sea.
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by dominique(f): 10:22pm On Jun 06, 2013
naptu2: NNS Andoni (P100) is a coastal patrol boat (that's what the P stands for). It is meant to patrol the coastline and take action against oil thieves, pirates, smugglers, militants, etc. It is not even a corvette, so you can't compare it with frigates, destroyers, etc. It is meant to do a specific job and so far it has done it well.

then that's what it should have been referred to in the first place. topic is quite misleading and picture is disappointing (when i assumed it was a warship). looks more like a yatch
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by auxioneer(m): 10:34pm On Jun 06, 2013
Yayyy!!! Was privilegded 2 be part of d building of NNS Andoni. Its cool and am sure will last for a long while

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 6:19am On Jun 07, 2013
dominique:

then that's what it should have been referred to in the first place. topic is quite misleading and picture is disappointing (when i assumed it was a warship). looks more like a yatch

The navy always refers to it as a seaward defence boat/coastal patrol boat. It is civilians (especially journalists) that refer to it as a warship. Some civilians believe that every naval vessel is a warship. Some even believe that every naval vessel is a battleship.
Re: Nigerian Built Warship One Year Anniversary by naptu2: 6:45am On Jun 07, 2013
auxioneer: Yayyy!!! Was privilegded 2 be part of d building of NNS Andoni. Its cool and am sure will last for a long while

☆COn*GRAT√*¨`*ULATION­S√*¨´♫ •.☆CON ♥♫ •☆GRAT...•√°°¸.•ULATIONS*¨`*•♥´♫ • °¸.•* ¨`☆*♥¸.•*¨`*• ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•..•¨*♪   *☆CON*√GRAT*¨`*ULATION­S☆*»”¤'”~«

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians To Experience Drop In Electricity Supply / 2019 Budget: Osinbajo, Ministers, Presidential Aides Arrive ‎national Assembly / Oyo: Supporters Of Rauf Olaniyan Dump PDP For APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.