Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,981 members, 7,810,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? (2633 Views)

If You Are Given This Type Of Food By Your Inlaws (picture) / See The Kind Of Food Served For Lunch At An IDP Camp In Maiduguri / Rice Is The Common Food Cooked For Christmas- Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by uzoo: 12:39am On May 03, 2008
why cant our leaders think with thier heads,
federal govt is about to import 80BILLION Yes! 80billion naira or is it dollars worth of rice
from thailand who are already having difficulty providing enough to feed thier own country
considering the fact that they and india are the largest exporters of rice.

we have huge acres and acres of land in nigeria especially in the north why cant banks and federal govt
emabark on mechanised farming to feed this country and even export some.
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by Cadet(f): 3:20am On May 03, 2008
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine?

yes!! cry cry cry cry embarassed
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by uzoo: 3:36pm On May 03, 2008
how sad it wont hurt to invest half of that money in agriculture , and encourage
farmers to emabark on mechanised farming instead of subsistent farming ,
that way food will never be nigeria's problem.
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by iice(f): 1:34am On May 04, 2008
Ironic isn't it. We have the lands and weather for it but we choose to import.
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by Ugwumba(m): 1:43am On May 04, 2008
Not surprised - Nigeria is the only country that thrives on importing what can easily be produced at home (think refined petroleum products, palm produce, ).
angry angry angry
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by iice(f): 1:54am On May 04, 2008
shocked shocked Ugwumba shocked shocked
Glad to see you are still around smiley

Still can't figure out why we can't export lots of things. undecided
All these tropical fruits and foods that go to Europe come from asia/south america or some other african country.
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by Ugwumba(m): 2:05am On May 04, 2008
@iice, i dey kampe, just went into temporary retirement with OBJ. grin grin grin. Nice to know some of you kept things going (although reading through some of the posts, some things never change).

Nigeria's problems are so plentiful and there are no concrete steps taken to solve them. Just recently I hear there have been countrywide power blackouts and yet so much was spent on trying to solve this problem.
cry cry cry cry cry

Anyone know how to get Ghanaian citizenship? I don tire.
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by 4Him1(m): 2:08am On May 04, 2008
Its not the amount of land we have, its whether we have the kind of soil conditions required to grow rice.
If it were a matter of just land then the US and Europe would long have been the largest producers of rice.
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by Radiant(f): 2:12am On May 04, 2008
Sad and shameful. Meanwhile Yaradua is more interested in how Bri'ish Airways maltreats Nigerians and how he can raise tariffs on electricity that we don't have.

David, are you saying we don't grow rice in Nigeria?
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by iice(f): 2:17am On May 04, 2008
Ugwumba grin grin Indeed somethings never change. Please the power issue is crazy.

I think we have the soil and weather for it. Maybe it's preference over the type of rice. . .but i like our rice just fine.
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by 4Him1(m): 2:17am On May 04, 2008
We grow rice in the Bendel area (ofada rice) but they are certainly of poorer quality compared to the Asian rice.
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by Ugwumba(m): 2:27am On May 04, 2008
4 Him:

We grow rice in the Bendel area (ofada rice) but they are certainly of poorer quality compared to the Asian rice.

How? san-san dey the rice? Once you acquire a taste for foreign goods (e.g rice), nothing local will ever seem good again.

I remember the joy of 'local' rice and 'fowl' grin grin, long before Uncle Ben's and agric chicken became a staple.

These Asian tigers have grown, by continuously improving on their local products, not through importation. We should borrow a leaf from them and look inwards.
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by Gamine(f): 2:30am On May 04, 2008
So its really true, a bag of rice 15,000

it dosnt seem to have afected the ration we still get in school sha undecided

And these people are planning on getting Ofada rice for the Dinner, hmm undecided
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by iice(f): 2:33am On May 04, 2008
Sometimes sef, you get tired of the taste of all these imported stuffs and just want your local food
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by ikamefa(f): 2:34am On May 04, 2008
iice:

Sometimes sef, you get tired of the taste of all these imported stuffs and just want your[b] local food[/b]

" grin ' oh really? tongue
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by Ugwumba(m): 2:39am On May 04, 2008
Gamine:

So its really true, a bag of rice 15,000

it dosnt seem to have afected the ration we still get in school sha undecided

And these people are planning on getting Ofada rice for the Dinner, hmm undecided

How bad can this ofada rice be? E don kill person before? grin grin

PS - @ika how u dey?
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by ikamefa(f): 2:45am On May 04, 2008
Ugwumba:

How bad can this ofada rice be? E don kill person before? grin grin

PS - @ika how u dey?

used to Love ofada when i was back home in the west tongue

chai! half stones boulders and half rice grin cheesy

oga ugwumba welcome back from your cyber-sleep cheesy i dey kampe cheesy
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by Gamine(f): 2:47am On May 04, 2008
People actually like that Ofada rice alot ooo

They gbadun the thing wellu wellu

Me, i dont like it theres something not right
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by iice(f): 2:49am On May 04, 2008
Twinny yes ooo.  LMAO @ Boulders.  But the i miss the taste of it. undecided
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by Gamine(f): 12:11am On May 05, 2008
Ok, i now see the effects of this increase

As the price increases, the grain decreases

i bought N100 plate of rice today and i could count the grains

the meat was smaller than a maggi cube undecided cry

Chai what is happening in this country!!!!! cry
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by elizabetta(f): 12:36pm On May 08, 2008
a bag of rice is about #15,000.nigeria is going down everyday
Re: Scarcity Of Food,rising Cost Of Rice, Is Nigeria Going Into Famine? by lucabrasi(m): 9:32pm On May 08, 2008
apart from the global reasons for rice,the nigerian situation is as a result of selfish and wicked leadership,considering we know states that have the potentials to grow enough rice for nigeria like ebonyi,adamawa,and a few others and also a functioning modern rice processing machine from beginning to the last stage is about 300 million,also rice growing and harvesting takes only a couple of months,they are importing rice so they can get their cuts and also supply a bit and divert the rest to private rice sellers for a profit.
the funny thing about the health hazards of imported rice is that,the rice we get in nigeria is at least 2/3 years in storage and we have about 50 smthn varieties of rice which is better than the imported rice if properly processed,at least i appreciate ofada rice than the imported ones and so do other people in nigeria, thnk GOD the senate dont agree with the 80 billion rice thing and the fed government has released 10 bilion to farmers to sort out the problem

(1) (Reply)

An Advice On Table Top Gas Cooker Needed!!! / 10 Reasons You Should Avoid Eating Noodles / check out this egg that has another egg in it

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.