Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,573 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Igbo Proverbs - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Proverbs (1719 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Thread For Igbo Proverbs / Igbos come show your proverbs skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Proverbs by hexbest: 5:25pm On Jun 06, 2013
Hi Nairalanders shocked

Please can you guys help me with Igbo proverbs that has to do with women. Translated to English and the meaning.

Thanks, I await quick response.

Cheers
Re: Igbo Proverbs by Afam4eva(m): 5:37pm On Jun 06, 2013
Ihe na ato nwanyi di ime and atokwa onye tubara ya ime - Whatever a pregenant desires is also the desire of the man that did the pumping

Okirikiri ka a na agba ukwu ose, adighi ari ya elu - You go round the pepper tree, not up

ndi igbo na-atu inu si na agadi nwanyi daa nda ada ugbo na abo, aguo ihe obu n' ukpo onu - the igbos say that if an elderly woman falls the same fall a second time, the number of stuffs she's carrying in her basket or basin would be counted.

Ndi igbo si na nwata etoghi eto juo ihe gburu nna ya, ihe gburu nna ya e gbu ya
- A child who is not old enough to ask what killed his father, the same that killed his father will kill him too.

Go here for more https://www.nairaland.com/43635/igbos-come-show-proverbs-skills

1 Like

Re: Igbo Proverbs by hexbest: 6:28pm On Jun 06, 2013
Afam4eva: Ihe na ato nwanyi di ime and atokwa onye tubara ya ime - Whatever a pregenant desires is also the desire of the man that did the pumping

Okirikiri ka a na agba ukwu ose, adighi ari ya elu - You go round the pepper tree, not up

ndi igbo na-atu inu si na agadi nwanyi daa nda ada ugbo na abo, aguo ihe obu n' ukpo onu - the igbos say that if an elderly woman falls the same fall a second time, the number of stuffs she's carrying in her basket or basin would be counted.

Ndi igbo si na nwata etoghi eto juo ihe gburu nna ya, ihe gburu nna ya e gbu ya
- A child who is not old enough to ask what killed his father, the same that killed his father will kill him too.

Go here for more https://www.nairaland.com/43635/igbos-come-show-proverbs-skills

Thanks Man.

I've searched that thread over a thousand times, the proverbs i'm seeing are not related to women.
Re: Igbo Proverbs by Afam4eva(m): 6:30pm On Jun 06, 2013
hexbest:

Thanks Man.

I've searched that thread over a thousand times, the proverbs i'm seeing are not related to women.
Ohhh, i didn't the the women part.
Re: Igbo Proverbs by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jun 07, 2013
Anaghi e ji oke amu eyiwe akwuna ujo

You cannot frighten a harlot with the size of the manhood

1 Like

Re: Igbo Proverbs by hexbest: 6:11pm On Jun 07, 2013
Thanks Guys. I need more. wink
Re: Igbo Proverbs by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 07, 2013
hexbest: Thanks Guys. I need more. wink

My hubby''s fave

Oso chu ba nwanyi Ike Ukwu a mara Ihe omere onwe ya

When it is time to run,the woman with the big nyash will realize that what she has is a liability grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Proverbs by hexbest: 7:30pm On Jun 08, 2013
babyosisi:

My hubby''s fave

Oso chu ba nwanyi Ike Ukwu a mara Ihe omere onwe ya

When it is time to run,the woman with the big nyash will realize that what she has is a liability grin grin grin

Loool, Funny.

Thanks cool cool

(1) (Reply)

7 Bizarre Cultural Practices You Didn't Know About !! - (PICS) / Ososo A Pearl In Afemailand / The Origin Of Iyawo (yoruba Word For Wife)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.