Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

'thank You Letters" After A Job Interview; Does It Work In Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 'thank You Letters" After A Job Interview; Does It Work In Nigeria? (953 Views)

As A Graduate, Can You Work In Restaurant That Pays 80k And Above? / Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? / NIMASA Releasing Employment Letters Finally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

'thank You Letters" After A Job Interview; Does It Work In Nigeria? by Alert(f): 9:28pm On May 04, 2008
what is your opinion of sending 'thank - you' letters to the people that interviewed  you for a job, does it really work for employers here in our country or will they take it as a 'bribe' .
Has anyone tried it; please do let us know if it worked.

Interview follow-up / thank you letters
Interviews are not over when they're over: Follow up.

Purpose
Following an interview, promptly (within 2 business days) write the interviewer a letter expressing appreciation and thanks for the interview.  The purpose of this letter is to: 
• Show appreciation for the employer's interest in you.
• Reiterate your interest in the position and in the organization.
• Review or remind the employer about your qualifications for the position. If you thought of something you forgot to mention in the interview, mention it in your follow-up / thank-you letter.
• Demonstrate that you have good manners and know to write a thank-you letter.
• Follow up with any information the employer may have asked you to provide after the interview.
• See samples below: 

Hard copy, handwritten or email?
• Thank-you letters can be hard copy typed, handwritten or e-mailed. Hard copy are most formal and are appropriate after an interview. Handwritten are more personal, and can be appropriate for brief notes to a variety of individuals you may have met during on on-site interview. E-mail is appropriate when that has been your means of contact with the person you want to thank, or if your contact has expressed a preference for e-mail. (Also see guidelines for using e-mail in your job search and e-mail business etiquette.)

What to do if you don't hear from the employer
• Before your interview ended, your interviewer should have informed you of the organization's follow-up procedures — from whom, by what means, and when you would hear again from the organization. If the interviewer did not tell you, and you did not ask, use your follow-up / thank-you letter to ask.
• If more than a week has passed beyond the date when you were told you would hear something from the employer, call or email to politely inquire about the status of the organization's decision-making process. Someone (or something) or an unexpected circumstance may be holding up the process. A polite inquiry shows that you are still interested in the organization and may prompt the employer to get on schedule with a response. In your inquiry, mention the following: name of the person who interviewed you, time and place of the interview, position for which you are applying (if known), and ask the status of your application.

Sample 5.4 - Thank you for initial interview
  400C Hunter Ridge
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 555-1111
boles@vt.edu

October 26, 2006

Ms. Glenna Wright
Human Resources Manager
Fashion Department Store
2000 Line Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030

Dear Ms. Wright:

I enjoyed interviewing with you during your recruiting visit to Virginia Tech on October 25. The management trainee program you outlined sounds both challenging and rewarding and I look forward to your decision concerning an on-site visit.

As mentioned during the interview, I will be graduating in December with a Bachelor’s degree in Fashion Merchandising. Through my education and experience I’ve gained many skills, as well as an understanding of retailing concepts and dealing with the general public. I have worked seven years in the retail industry in various positions from Salesclerk to Assistant Department Manager. I think my education and work experience would complement Fashion’s management trainee program.

I have enclosed a copy of my college transcript and a list of references that you requested.

Thank you again for the opportunity to interview with Fashion Department Store. The interview served to reinforce my strong interest in becoming a part of your management team. I can be reached at (540) 555-1111 or by email at boles@vt.edu should you need additional information.

Sincerely,

Marianne Boles

Enclosures

Source:http://www.career.vt.edu/JOBSEARC/interview/after.htm

(1) (Reply)

Fcmb Test / Urgent Vacancy / Vacancies For Senior And Middle Level Position In Psionglobal Solutions In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.