Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,523 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

What Do U Think About Africans And Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do U Think About Africans And Religion? (457 Views)

Africans And Superstition / Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? / Africans And The Concept Of One God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Do U Think About Africans And Religion? by estilo45(f): 11:58am On Jun 09, 2013
Estilo shared the following link and had this to say about it:

The two biggest dangers of religion, in my opinion, are the tendency to suspend reasoning and blame the devil for actions that we should accept responsibility for. To illustrate the first point, watch this short video clip.

It is obvious that the ‘deliverance act’ is planned and rehearsed. The pastor walks up to the front row and chooses his subject. The deaf subject does some convulsive movements to add drama and persuade the congregation that his story is genuine. The pastor then 'delivers' him from the ‘spirit of deafness’ and his hearing and speaking faculties are instantly restored. I mean, what the heck is the ‘spirit of deafness’? Anyway, the convulsive movements stop soon after. The huge congregation claps rapturously, sings and praises God for the miracle. Some members walk to the pastor’s feet to drop what appear to be monies.

I am amazed how and why a large number of people, some no doubt intelligent, cannot see beyond this deception. Thousands of such miracle services take place everyday; the countless numbers of videos on you-tube testify to this. I know some will say the videos don’t represent Christianity. I agree they shouldn’t but in reality, they are becoming rather commonplace; and one might argue, representative. There are deliverance services for the spirits of poverty, diseases, infertility, generational curses etc. What we desperately need, but lacking, are services where the spirits of corruption are exorcised from our thieving politicians. Instead, some of these spiritual leaders (pastors and imams alike) wine and dine, pray for, and decree more blessings and prosperity into the lives of these thieves. Perhaps, corruption does not have a spirit.

PS
For the benefit of non-African readers, deliverance is used synonymously with exorcism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9RCYPh4wCM

Rev. Dr. Sign Fireman prays for a young man, who has been deaf for fifteen years and his hearing is instantly restored.

(1) (Reply)

Attendance Of Christian Programme Vs Social Prog;why Do Youths Prefer D Latter / Have You Accepted Jesus As Your Physician & Healer? / Is Lucifer Satan? Does The Fall Of Lucifer Describe Satan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.