Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report (5841 Views)

Igbos, Most Brilliant Black Africa Race –us report / Akwa Ibom State Government Debunks Multibillion Naira Mansion Rumour / US Report Cautions Nigeria Of Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by gbanikiti(m): 8:31am On Jun 10, 2013
OWERRI—Imo State government has dismissed the U.S. government’s alert which listed the state as one to be avoided by Americans due to problems of insecurity.

Governor Rochas Okorocha, in a statement by Commissioner for Information, Strategy, Culture and Tourism, Mr. Chinedu Offor, weekend, described the report as “false”.

According to him, the state government’s dismissal of the report is based on the fact that hundreds of foreigners are residing and doing businesses in different parts of the state.

The governor stated: “The report issued by the United States Government is false. The United States government did not take cognizance of the fact that hundreds of foreigners are residing and doing their business in different parts of the 27 local government areas in the state and earning their living unhindered”, government stated.

“There has been prevailing peace, safety and harmony in the state” and urged everybody, including Imo people, who read the report to ignore it”.

“There has been prevailing peace, safety and harmony in the state. Those who read the report should ignore it as security remains the key and one of the cardinal programmes of the Governor Rochas Okorocha.”

Meanwhile, some citizens have said the alarm raised by the United States government should not be dismissed as a non-issue.

Reacting to the report and the state government’s position, Mr. Joe Chibuzor, an Owerri-based businessman, said: “The report is not far from the truth. There is terror in the land; the fear of kidnappers and armed robbers is the beginning of wisdom in Imo State.”

Chibuzor recalled with grief that there were still some unresolved kidnap cases in the state and particularly mentioned the case of a serving Permanent Secretary, Mr. Emenike Ihekwoaba, who had not been seen since he was kidnapped nearly a year ago.

Reacting also, a widow, who simply identified herself as Ngozi, reasoned that instead of berating the United States government, the state administration ought to look inwards to make amends where necessary.

“The report ought to be seen as a clarion call for the right things to be done. It should ginger the state government to look inwards, make amends and save precious lives and property,” she said.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/insecurity-imo-govt-debunks-us-report/
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Capnd143(m): 8:51am On Jun 10, 2013
who believed that shit of a report b4
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by PAPAAFRICA: 9:04am On Jun 10, 2013
Niggas gettin kidnapped. SShhh, you know the feds watchin.
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by buoye1(m): 9:05am On Jun 10, 2013
Ok we don hear..........................anyway 3rd to Co***nt..................................*daancing sho lee#
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by gbanikiti(m): 9:06am On Jun 10, 2013
Can the Federal Government give us a comprehensive list of states Nigerians shouldn't visit in the US?

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by CertifiedFreak(m): 9:06am On Jun 10, 2013
;DMore Zonks from Imo, probably to discredit this man, or just maybe not
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by ubamoney(m): 9:07am On Jun 10, 2013
imo state government should tackle the security in that state.they should also no that peaceful enviroment attracts investors.God bless nigeria
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by alexleo(m): 9:07am On Jun 10, 2013
Rochas is just wasting his time. This is just a confirmation that he hasn't been working the way he wants people to believe. Let him work and stop all these defence mechanism. Sullivan Chime does not talk but his great achievements in Enugu state speaks for him. That's how to be a governor.

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Capnd143(m): 9:08am On Jun 10, 2013
all the Us wants is to stop potential investors to nigeria, recently the issued a 90 day ultimatum on port security or the will ask all their allies to stop from bringing shipment to Nigeria, to hell with the Us, its high we replace US WITH CHINA in our priority list

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Blain(m): 9:09am On Jun 10, 2013
3rd 2 comment...*runs outside and hugs a soldier wit an A.k.47 in front of his house in burno*

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Prowizy2(m): 9:10am On Jun 10, 2013
I hope this will not make the Imo state government tighten it's security level.. Please we don't want our kidnapping and armed robbery business to crumble. sad

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 10, 2013
ubamoney: imo state government should tackle the security in that state.they should also [color=#990000][/color]no that peaceful enviroment attracts investors.God bless nigeria
know not no
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by dareyking(m): 9:13am On Jun 10, 2013
*Lobatan*bangerlee...mind over matter....Pull of ur patta*yung D*
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by PAPAAFRICA: 9:17am On Jun 10, 2013
Prowizy2: I hope this will not make the Imo state government tighten it's security level.. Please we don't want our kidnapping and armed robbery business to crumble. sad
lol
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 10, 2013
grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin
Prowizy2: I hope this will not make the Imo state government tighten it's security level.. Please we don't want our kidnapping and armed robbery business to crumble. sad
madt man
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by gbanikiti(m): 9:18am On Jun 10, 2013
Capnd143: all the Us wants is to stop potential investors to nigeria, recently the issued a 90 day ultimatum on port security or the will ask all their allies to stop from bringing shipment to Nigeria, to hell with the Us, its high we replace US WITH CHINA in our priority list
You are damn right!
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by gbanikiti(m): 9:21am On Jun 10, 2013
it's just a shame that the Federal Government cannot debunk the baseless report. It's good Imo State did that. I hope other states follow suit. cool
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by onuawuchi: 9:21am On Jun 10, 2013
I think I will agree with the governor on this one. Imo state is relatively one of the most peaceful place to reside in Nigeria now. I stay in Owerri and I have been to most parts of the state. I bet that you'll snore heavier sleeping in O-town than in the city of New York.

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by irohadis: 9:25am On Jun 10, 2013
Do not visit states in the USA:

1. Connecticut (rampaging gunman killed 25 children and adults. You could be next)
2. Boston (two terrorists running amuck with bombs, many dead and hundreds wounded)
3. New York (25 dead from gun crime previous weekend - Chief of police says that is a reduction from previous records during hot seasons. You are on your own here)
4. California (Gunman kills 5 before being shot. There are more of them)
5. Texas. (A whole refinery exploded and no one knows why. Hundreds dead.)
6. Colorado (Crazy man will shoot you at the movies. Many dead and injured)
7. Virginia (Do not visit universities. Crazy man with guns killed dozens)
8. The whole US (you are going to get pulled over more often than if your skin is white. You are 4 times more likely to go to jail than if your skin is white)

10 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by ikweremilitant: 9:26am On Jun 10, 2013
Capnd143: who believed that shit of a report b4
ya no body took dem serious as usual when dey predicted d demise of nija,we called dem names but at d end of d day we re seing it coming close nd agan u stil call it a bull crap
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by mtprofessor5(m): 9:27am On Jun 10, 2013
dat 1 concern U.S abi na dem dey feed uz?
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by mtprofessor5(m): 9:27am On Jun 10, 2013
Blain: 3rd 2 comment...*runs outside and hugs a soldier wit an A.k.47 in front of his house in burno*
abeg go bak skul go learn 1 2 3..... Den cum bak cum count ur positn

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by biafranqueen: 9:31am On Jun 10, 2013
Can you imagine people killed right down the street from me and this is a white neighborhood this mad man stormed the local community college in Santa Monica and people think I am crazy because I am planing to move to 9ja final
irohadis: Do not visit states in the USA:

1. Connecticut (rampaging gunman killed 25 children and adults. You could be next)
2. Boston (two terrorists running amuck with bombs, many dead and hundreds wounded)
3. New York (25 dead from gun crime previous weekend - Chief of police says that is a reduction from previous records during hot seasons. You are on your own here)
4. California (Gunman kills 5 before being shot. There are more of them)
5. Texas. (A whole refinery exploded and no one knows why. Hundreds dead.)
6. Colorado (Crazy man will shoot you at the movies. Many dead and injured)
7. Virginia (Do not visit universities. Crazy man with guns killed dozens)
8. The whole US (you are going to get pulled over more often than if your skin is white. You are 4 times more likely to go to jail than if your skin is white)
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by chris365(m): 9:48am On Jun 10, 2013
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by chris365(m): 9:54am On Jun 10, 2013
Capnd143: all the Us wants is to stop potential investors to nigeria, recently the issued a 90 day ultimatum on port security or the will ask all their allies to stop from bringing shipment to Nigeria, to hell with the Us, its high we replace US WITH CHINA in our priority list

Guy lets learn to improvise when we are criticized. Have you been to the ports recently? The situation there is very bad. You'll almost think it the prot of Kismayo in somalia.
I lived in Imo state for 7 years b4 moving to Lagos this may, and i can tell you that the situation there is bad. Robbery, kidnapping, cultism etc..
They have every reason to threaten Nigeria cos their interest is threatened and we have a reckless Government that'll only perform when threatened.
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Abagworo(m): 9:59am On Jun 10, 2013
Like seriously I believe the security situation in Imo is not that bad. I've never witnessed gunshots, kidnapping or bank robbery in Imo like I did in Rivers back then. There was no "Bakassi" in Imo either. I believe the media has been over used by opposition to give an alarming impression and when you count them it might not even be up to 50 cases in the past 2years.

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Dibiachukwu: 10:00am On Jun 10, 2013
Gud. We don't want them in Owere either. America should learn to mind their business and stay in their country.

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Afam4eva(m): 10:09am On Jun 10, 2013
The report is for Americans and not for NIgerians and it's based on what they believe is the true situation of things. There are different definitions of insecurity to different people. I personally don't see why Imo and Akwa-Ibom should be on that list because there's nothing happening in these states that's not happening in other states not listed. Kidnapping is not as rampant as it used to be.
Re: Insecurity: Imo Government Debunks US Report by Keneeby(m): 10:23am On Jun 10, 2013
plz i need answer to dis question

who killed General Sani Abacha?

(a) God
(b) indian girls
(c) his body guards
(d) nigerians
(e) satan

Gudluck!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Menace Of Fulani Herdsmen: Tales Of Woes From Igboland / It's Official!!! PDP Won Osun Bye-election / Prof Sagay Resigns As Chairman Presidential Advisory Committee On Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.