Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation (4909 Views)

FG Approves Immediate Payment Of 413 Billion Naira To Oil Marketers / Unpaid Subsidy: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation / Petroleum Marketers Threaten To Shut Operations In Two Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by lekanolas: 6:25pm On Jun 10, 2013
Petroleum products marketers may soon stop fuel importation, raising the prospects of another scarcity as unpaid subsidy arrears hits about N170bn.

The unpaid subsidies have piled up due to stringent verification process after a legislative audit last year uncovered a widespread fraud in the fuel subsidy regime.

A breakdown of the current figures showed that while subsidy arrears to be paid to major marketers, including Total Nigeria Limited, Oando Nigeria Plc, Mobil Oil Nigeria Plc and Conoil Nigeria Plc amounted to N100bn, that of independent marketers amounted to N70bn.

The Executive Secretary, Major Markers Association, Mr. Thomas Olawore, who confirmed the development in a telephone interview, said that the huge indebtedness had impacted negatively on their operations.

He said: “Our capacity to import has greatly reduced, meaning that it could get to a point where we can no more be able to do so.

“Some banks have started to complain about nonpayment. But many of them are busy calculating their interests, which the marketers are expected to pay.”

He said it was in the best interest of the nation for the government to pay the subsidy, stressing that it would enable marketers to import more fuel for domestic consumption.

Olawore said: “Marketers have in the past five months tried to sustain importation in order to ensure there was adequate fuel supply in all parts of the nation because of patriotism. But it could get to a point where we may not be able to import anymore.”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/unpaid-fuel-subsidy-hits-n170bn/
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by konami001: 2:32pm On Jun 11, 2013
Backward people!
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 11, 2013
What happened to subsidy probe?
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 11, 2013
God abeg let them stop importing so we can be forced to refine our own oil.
Shameless oil producing nation proudly importing fuel.mtcheew

4 Likes

Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by buoye1(m): 2:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
N cool ;Da dem sabi jawe............#sipping ma zobo#anyway 4th
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by Policewoman(f): 2:36pm On Jun 11, 2013
lekanolas: Petroleum products marketers may soon stop fuel importation, raising the prospects of another scarcity as unpaid subsidy arrears hits about N170bn.

The unpaid subsidies have piled up due to stringent verification process after a legislative audit last year uncovered a widespread fraud in the fuel subsidy regime.

A breakdown of the current figures showed that while subsidy arrears to be paid to major marketers, including Total Nigeria Limited, Oando Nigeria Plc, Mobil Oil Nigeria Plc and Conoil Nigeria Plc amounted to N100bn, that of independent marketers amounted to N70bn.

The Executive Secretary, Major Markers Association, Mr. Thomas Olawore, who confirmed the development in a telephone interview, said that the huge indebtedness had impacted negatively on their operations.

He said: “Our capacity to import has greatly reduced, meaning that it could get to a point where we can no more be able to do so.

“Some banks have started to complain about nonpayment. But many of them are busy calculating their interests, which the marketers are expected to pay.”

He said it was in the best interest of the nation for the government to pay the subsidy, stressing that it would enable marketers to import more fuel for domestic consumption.

Olawore said: “Marketers have in the past five months tried to sustain importation in order to ensure there was adequate fuel supply in all parts of the nation because of patriotism. But it could get to a point where we may not be able to import anymore.”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/unpaid-fuel-subsidy-hits-n170bn/
OK.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by oloriooko(m): 2:36pm On Jun 11, 2013
kaa kool fun won
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by kufzy: 2:38pm On Jun 11, 2013
Na the masses they want make dem suffer be dat.
3rd to comment...*dancing azonto*
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by tedd(m): 2:45pm On Jun 11, 2013
Let the senate pass a bill to ban importation of petroleum products and also pass a bill for new refinery Construction in all the major geopolitical zones and all oil producing states.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 11, 2013
kufzy: Na the masses they want make dem suffer be dat.
3rd to comment...*dancing azonto*

Mods are sleeping.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by john650(m): 2:47pm On Jun 11, 2013
This country Nigeria is so badly run. The simplest of processes seem like a herculean task to the government.

1 Like

Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by dedons: 2:52pm On Jun 11, 2013
Abeg make dem go sleep jare

i get better refinery for my backyard

i'm nw in buzinezz
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by dedons: 2:53pm On Jun 11, 2013
daz_york:

Mods are sleeping.
na ITK go killl you
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by kenny1911: 2:53pm On Jun 11, 2013
Let them even stop so that we ll put our houses together by fire by force.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by Omen100(m): 2:54pm On Jun 11, 2013
OK, WILL BE RIGHT BACK
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by bknight: 2:56pm On Jun 11, 2013
lekanolas: ...
Olawore said: “Marketers have in the past five months tried to sustain importation in order to ensure there was adequate fuel supply in all parts of the nation because of patriotism...”

Since when? Patriotic oil marketers shocked grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by 3ace(m): 2:59pm On Jun 11, 2013
I have a dream that one day, all our refineries will be working at full capacity so that we won't need to import fuel again. Ha! Another hardship looming. Jona, abeg talk to your boys and girls o.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by onyxo76(m): 3:01pm On Jun 11, 2013
if there is one thing that gives me nightmares, its this thing called fuel scarcity.
Not only does it drain my finances,it also gives drains me physically having to look, queue and struggle at filling stations to get the product.
i hope it doesn't occur again as a lot of lives revolve around fuel..
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by Dreal1247: 3:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
Paying for subsidy where we have multiple refineries with workers paid to refine petroleum products. Let then stop importing. Our refineries will be forced to wake up.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by talk2s(m): 3:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
They don't want to be sincere to themselves.
Is it becuase the Govt. of the day has decided to curtail their excesses and reduce their fraud. It can't always be business as usual. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
Nigeria must move forward. My candid advice to them all is to tighten their belt and be set for a drastis reduction in their 'awuf'
I so move! Any seconder?

1 Like

Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by excondido(m): 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2013
Logically speaking, the number one contra-ban should be petroleum products. but na they aint gonna do that cause the benefit directly from importation.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by legendsilver(m): 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2013
[quote author=tedd]Let the senate pass a bill to ban importation of petroleum products and also pass a bill for new refinery Construction in all the major geopolitical zones and all oil producing states. Easier said dan done, u b JJc abi? Ds na naija in case u nor knw grin
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by chadef: 3:16pm On Jun 11, 2013
BILLIONS OF NAIRA ARE PAID TO SUBSIDIZED FUEL. HOW MUCH IS IT TO BUILD TEN REFINERY IN NIGERIA. WE ARE JUST SELLING SUGAR CANE TO BUY SUGAR, COCOA TO BUY BOURNVITA. SHAMELESS LEADERS WITH NO VISION. AND THEY COME TO TELL US THEY ARE PATRIOTIC.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by blackky100(m): 3:18pm On Jun 11, 2013
that is why they wont allow the refinery to work. yeye people.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by browncool(m): 3:55pm On Jun 11, 2013
I am sure this said amount would have gone a long way refining our own crude oil instead of importing.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by Gbawe: 3:56pm On Jun 11, 2013
john650: This country Nigeria is so badly run. The simplest of processes seem like a herculean task to the government.

grin grin grin No comment grin grin grin grin
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by Capnd143(m): 4:43pm On Jun 11, 2013
truthfully, it will be better if the stop importing and get ready to start another business, When oga Dangote comes onboard with his mult-billion naira refinery project surd their days will be numbered! In dangote i await!

2 Likes

Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by emamos: 5:07pm On Jun 11, 2013
john650: This country Nigeria is so badly run. The simplest of processes seem like a herculean task to the government.
good point
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by habayommy: 5:51pm On Jun 11, 2013
Signs of END TIME hard time lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by chrisdoller(m): 7:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
Hmm tank God i ve a donkey and a horse 4 my movement. Stupid con3 wit backslide leaders.GEJ IS WORKING.
Re: Oil Marketers Threaten To Stop Importation by chukemmang(m): 8:22pm On Jun 11, 2013
If refineries are built how will these oil thieves make money? So therefore Nigerians should forget about having refineries and manage to enjoy the oil slavery we have been subjected to by our past and present government and these oil thieves.

(1) (Reply)

Arabic Inscription On Nigerian Army Logo. / If Barack Obama Make This Statement, He Will Be Impeached The Next Day!! / Senate Appoints New EFCC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.