Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,445 members, 7,830,222 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos (702 Views)

Shiite-Army Clash: Mass Burial For 347 Corpses – KDSG- PICS / Boko Haram Leaves Mass Of Throat-slit Corpses Near Nigerian Town - YAHOO NEWS / Mystery Corpses On Ezu River Were MASSOB Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by bcomputer101: 12:24am On Jun 11, 2013
Lagos State Governor Mr. Babatunde Fashola, has
signed the state's Cremation Bill into law.
While signing the bill on Monday at Lagos House,
Ikeja, the governor explained that the cremation law
is voluntary, adding that its enactment showed how
the concept of globalisation has taken its roots in the
state.
Fashola said, "We commend members of the state
House of Assembly for responding to global
yearnings. Their zeal in passing the bill also shows
that cremation is the best way to go."
Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr.
Ade Ipaye, said the law only provided for voluntary
cremation.
He said, "It is voluntary in the sense that it allows for
voluntary cremation, whereby a person may signify
interest to be cremated when he dies or a deceased's
family members who must attain the age of 18 years
can decide to have the corpse cremated.
Source: mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/fashola-okays-law-to-cremate-corpses-in-lagos/
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 12:42am On Jun 11, 2013
I'm sorry but which corpses will they be cremating? The corpse of those working with the Lagos state government or those of Lagosians in general? What right do they have over what people choose to do with the corpse of their loved ones?
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by redsun(m): 12:45am On Jun 11, 2013
It is optional and it is a good way of getting rid of carcasses.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by EkoIle1: 1:11am On Jun 11, 2013
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola SAN (middle) ) signing three bills into Law, namely, A Law to Establish the Ibile Oil and Gas Corporation to Invest and Engage in Oil Activities and For Connected Purposes; A Law to Establish the Lagos State Christian and Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, to Regulate Pilgrimages and for Connected Purposes; and, A Law to Provide for Voluntary Cremation of Corpses and Unclaimed Corpses in the State and for Connected Purposes at the Conference Room, Lagos House, Ikeja, on Monday, June 10, 2013. With are: The Chairman, House Committee on Health, Hon. Hodewu Suuru Avoseh (left) and the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Ade Ipaye (right).

Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by EkoIle1: 1:14am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: I'm sorry but which corpses will they be cremating? The corpse of those working with the Lagos state government or those of Lagosians in general? What right do they have over what people choose to do with the corpse of their loved ones?

A Law to Provide for Voluntary Cremation of Corpses and Unclaimed Corpses in the State and for Connected Purposes

Instead of the usual aggression and upside down rant, try to research and look for facts before making flawed and wild statements...
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by Nobody: 1:31am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: I'm sorry but which corpses will they be cremating? The corpse of those working with the Lagos state government or those of Lagosians in general? What right do they have over what people choose to do with the corpse of their loved ones?

Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr.
Ade Ipaye, said the law only provided for voluntary
cremation.
He said, "It is voluntary in the sense that it allows for
voluntary cremation, whereby a person may signify
interest to be cremated when he dies or a deceased's
family members who must attain the age of 18 years
can decide to have the corpse cremated.
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by Nobody: 1:32am On Jun 11, 2013
Cold cases go full Lagos wellu wellu
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by riket(f): 1:45am On Jun 11, 2013
I believe this is a bill that is worth signing into action and cremation will be cheaper than buying casket and paying for burial spot for whoever wants to explore that option.
On a lighter note,Had Lazarus been cremated before Jesus came,I can imagine the look on Jesus when Martha brings in the ashes and told Jesus,here is the remains of our brother.I guess Jesus would have looked down pitifully on both sisters and say something like,"Verily.Verily I say unto you,"this is a lost case,Hurriedly go cast the ashes to the river Jordan and await the ressurection of your Brother onthe last day"> angry angryHMMM

1 Like

Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by Nobody: 1:48am On Jun 11, 2013
Even politicians go cremate the victims they kill before proper investigation.

Nigeria is not ready for this....choiiiiiii
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by Raiyo: 2:14am On Jun 11, 2013
I don't know why i have this nagging feeling that this Law would only serve the the evil intents of Nigeria Police force and their thirst for extra judicial killing if it's not properly applied;

On the other hand, it could help rid of the menace of the occassional dead body that pops up now and then.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by texaco1: 3:18am On Jun 11, 2013
this is a good development.
@all,PLEASE KINDLY READ THE STORY BEFORE MAKING A COMMENT.THANK YOU

1 Like

Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by takedat(m): 6:11am On Jun 11, 2013
^ So you expect our highly opinionated Mod to read a story before making a comment? How do you expect him to advertise his crass ignorance?
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by DuduNegro: 6:17am On Jun 11, 2013
I predict that a President Fashola will sign a homosexual bill into law.

I love my Governor but he is loosing focus on what is important for the land and its culture.
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by idupaul: 7:21am On Jun 11, 2013
Dudu_Negro: I predict that a President Fashola will sign a homosexual bill into law.

I love my Governor but he is loosing focus on what is important for the land and its culture.

This is the most dignified gift any Lagos corpse can receive .. Thumbs up to Fashola ..this is a way better option than leaving the corpse of a loved one in Atan for body parts thieves to exhume and mutilate immediately the burial is over
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by brownlord: 7:24am On Jun 11, 2013

Afam4ever, hope everything well well well this morning, or u never wake, u just won drop this comment before you wake later, anyway, when you boot finish, just read the message, then comment again
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by DuduNegro: 7:47am On Jun 11, 2013
idupaul:

This is the most dignified gift any Lagos corpse can receive .. Thumbs up to Fashola ..this is a way better option than leaving the corpse of a loved one in Atan for body parts thieves to exhume and mutilate immediately the burial is over

The reason for this law is shallow; "globalisation". Cremation is not globalized. Homosexuality is not globalized. This is dangerous trespass on indigenous culture and Im shocked the Oba of Lagos allowed this to move forward.
Re: Fashola Okays Law To Cremate Corpses In Lagos by mukina2: 9:35am On Jun 11, 2013

(1)

States Walk Out Of FAAC Meeting In Abuja / Mandela’s Grave Ready At Pink Villa / Blundering General: Obasanjo Replies Alabi-isama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.