Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Welcoming Sha'ban - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Welcoming Sha'ban (5894 Views)

Welcoming A New Born Baby / Prophet Muhammad's (sa) Sermon On Welcoming The Holy Month Of Ramadan / Welcoming The Holy Month Of Ramadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Welcoming Sha'ban by tbaba1234: 5:47am On Jun 11, 2013
Many people find it difficult getting into the spiritual state that Ramadan requires and complain in the last ten days of the great month that their month has gone to waste. A major reason for this it seems is that they assume that Allah would have Muslims worship him one month of the year! Whilst worship is a daily affair, Allah would have us worship more in some months more than others. Furthermore, the righteous, in understanding the importance of Ramadan, would want to be as prepared as possible, and as a result, would begin preparation two months earlier in Rajab!

Sha’ban is the eighth month of the Islamic calendar and considered one of the special months for which we find particular sunan of the Prophet (peace be upon him). It is reported that the Prophet would fast most of the month of Sha’ban except for the last few days.

A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) narrates that “Allah's Apostle used to fast till one would say that he would never stop fasting, and he would abandon fasting till one would say that he would never fast. I never saw Allah's Apostle fasting for a whole month except the month of Ramadan, and did not see him fasting in any month more than in the month of Sha'ban.”[Bukhari]

Although these fasts are supererogatory we can see how much importance the Prophet attached to them. We know that when he was asked by Usaamah ibn Zayd concerning his observance of the Sha’ban fasts, he answered, “It is a month that people neglect between Rajab and Ramadan; a month in which people’s deeds are taken up to the Lord of the Worlds and I would like my deeds to be taken up when I am fasting.” This hadith clearly indicates the importance of Islamic months, and living in the west we must maintain a relationship with Islamic religious symbols, the Islamic calendar being an important one. Additionally, the Prophet informed us of matters of the unseen, namely that our actions are taken up in this blessed month, and so, it would be sensible to be in a state of servitude whilst being taken to account.

We also know that the Prophet prayed for Sha’ban to be blessed and connected it to Ramadan thus informing us of an inextricable link between the two. He would supplicate, "O Allah, make the months of Rajab and Sha'ban blessed for us, and let us reach the month of Ramadan (i.e. prolong our life up to Ramadan, so that we may benefit from its merits and blessings)."[Al-Tabarani and Ahmad]

Many people find it difficult getting into the spiritual state that Ramadan requires and complain in the last ten days of the great month that their month has gone to waste. A major reason for this it seems is that they assume that Allah would have Muslims worship him one month of the year! Whilst worship is a daily affair, Allah would have us worship more in some months more than others. Furthermore, the righteous, in understanding the importance of Ramadan, would want to be as prepared as possible, and as a result, would begin preparation two months earlier in Rajab!

Abu Bakr al-Balkhi said: The month of Rajab is the month for planting, the month of Sha’ban is the month of irrigating crops, and the month of Ramadan is the month of harvesting the crops. He also said: The likeness of the month of Rajab is that of the wind, the likeness of Sha’ban is that of the clouds and the likeness of Ramadan is that of the rain; whoever does not plant and sow in Rajab, and does not irrigate in Sha’ban, how can he reap in Ramadan? Now Rajab has passed, so what will you do in Sha’ban if you are seeking Ramadan? This is how your Prophet and the early generations of the ummah were in this blessed month, so what will you do?

From amongst the forms of preparation is increasing in reciting the Quran. When Sha’ban would begin, ‘Amr ibn Qays (of the righteous early Muslims) would close his shop and free his time for reading Qur’an. The notion of excessive fasting, as quoted earlier, is found in the hadith of A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her), that she “did not see him fasting in any month more than in the month of Sha'ban.”[Bukhari]

Fasting is a great act of servitude and devotion to Allah, and given that the Arabic word sawm (fasting) means to restrain from something, it implies the repression of one’s nafs and worldly abstinence out of a firm belief in the afterlife. Abu Hurairah narrates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Allah said: The fast is for Me and I will give the reward for it, as he (the one who observes the fast) leaves his sexual desire, food and drink for My sake. Fasting is a guard (from Hell) and there are two pleasures for a fasting person, one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other at the time when he will meet his Lord. And the smell of the mouth of a fasting person is better to Allah than the smell of musk.”[Bukhari]

Let us use Sha’ban to become people of prayer and fasting, that we use the coming month as a time of rectification and spiritual rectitude, and we prepare our souls for the last Ramadan we may ever face. A’ishah narrates that the Prophet never fasted in any month more than in the month of Sha'ban. He used to say, “Do those deeds which you can do easily, as Allah will not get tired (of giving rewards) till you get bored and tired (of performing religious deeds).” The most beloved prayer to the Prophet was the one that was done regularly even if it were little, and whenever the Prophet offered a prayer he used to offer it regularly.[Bukhari]

http://www.islam21c.com/spirituality/5402-welcoming-shaban

15 Likes

Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by tbaba1234: 5:49am On Jun 11, 2013
Great piece,

Personally i fast mondays and thursdays during the month of sha'ban, It makes you more prepared for ramadan.

1 Like

Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by deols(f): 5:34pm On Jun 13, 2013
may Allah make it easy for us.

2 Likes

Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by tbaba1234: 5:43pm On Jun 13, 2013
deols: may Allah make it easy for us.

Ameen.
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by pmc01(m): 5:45pm On Jun 13, 2013
Aamiin, Jazaakumulloohukhairan
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by christ4mi(f): 11:07am On Jun 14, 2013
Is Ramadan the Month muslim observe fasting? Oh my God, my food business ooh

1 Like

Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by deols(f): 11:12am On Jun 14, 2013
christ4mi: Is Ramadan the Month muslim observe fasting? Oh my God, my food business ooh

Yes. Ramadan is the month Muslims fast. What kind of Food business are you talking about.?
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by Bagudo: 11:21am On Jun 14, 2013
Jazakallahu khayr
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by Abuklaw(m): 11:24am On Jun 14, 2013
nice wreite up, may Allah SWT grant us d zeal to practise wat He commands
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by iyaayi(f): 11:28am On Jun 14, 2013
christ4mi: Is Ramadan the Month muslim observe fasting? Oh my God, my food business ooh
Don't worry, u wil make ur money in other months! U may regard d ramadan as period of rest or vacation
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by Cocodiva: 11:30am On Jun 14, 2013
This is an educative piece. May Allah spare our lives till ramadan and beyond and make us witness many more to come-amin
Shaban is also a month of re-paying missed fasts from previous ramadan.So for those that missed some fasts,(for valid reasons)and have been unable to pay back since then,shaban presents the last opportunity to do so before ramadan comes.Because its not permissible to delay it beyond then
May Allah make it easy for us all-amin

2 Likes

Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by iyaayi(f): 11:31am On Jun 14, 2013
Alhamdulilah for dis thread! Jazakhallah khairan to d poster. May we live to witness and partake in dis Ramadan and many more, in sha Allah!
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 14, 2013
Fasting is an act of ibadah but the problem here is dt some ulamau in the curse of propagating Islam instead of guiding to the right path the reverse is the case: take as an example; fasting in Rajab, Shaban and some other special days in lunar mouths is sunnah and recommended as good act for whoever wishes to increase his act of ibadah but some ulamau present this as if is totally prohibited to observe any fasting apart of Ramadan. to me our beloved prophet Muhammad (sws) said: seek knowledge if this will even take you to China. for every one to practice Islam accordingly the knowledge of Islam is worth seeking at due cost. salam alykum!

1 Like

Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by musulmi: 11:48am On Jun 14, 2013
Masha Allah, Jazakallah Khair this post is one of the best in Niaraland may Allah shower his rahama on All of us here and Grand us alJannatu firdaus Amin

1 Like

Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by misterh(m): 11:50am On Jun 14, 2013
May Allah accept all our acts as acts of Ibadah.
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by autumnflower(f): 11:59am On Jun 14, 2013
Please when is 1st shaban?
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by babslamin: 12:07pm On Jun 14, 2013
Thanx for the reminder. Jazakallah khair!
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by maclatunji: 12:08pm On Jun 14, 2013
autumn.flower:
Please when is 1st shaban?

It was on Monday, today is the 5th of Shaban.
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by Pain(m): 12:09pm On Jun 14, 2013
lol
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by muhammadafeez(m): 12:23pm On Jun 14, 2013
Al hamdulillahi to withnes this mounth of sha'ban,

Allahummo baarik lanaa fi rajab wa sha'ban waballgnaa ramadan.

allhummo aaaaaaaamen

1 Like

Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by darelar(m): 12:30pm On Jun 14, 2013
Jazakallahu khairan. Mariaba abikun ya Ramadân
tbaba1234: Many people find it difficult getting into the spiritual state that Ramadan requires and complain in the last ten days of the great month that their month has gone to waste. A major reason for this it seems is that they assume that Allah would have Muslims worship him one month of the year! Whilst worship is a daily affair, Allah would have us worship more in some months more than others. Furthermore, the righteous, in understanding the importance of Ramadan, would want to be as prepared as possible, and as a result, would begin preparation two months earlier in Rajab!

Sha’ban is the eighth month of the Islamic calendar and considered one of the special months for which we find particular sunan of the Prophet (peace be upon him). It is reported that the Prophet would fast most of the month of Sha’ban except for the last few days.

A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) narrates that “Allah's Apostle used to fast till one would say that he would never stop fasting, and he would abandon fasting till one would say that he would never fast. I never saw Allah's Apostle fasting for a whole month except the month of Ramadan, and did not see him fasting in any month more than in the month of Sha'ban.”[Bukhari]

Although these fasts are supererogatory we can see how much importance the Prophet attached to them. We know that when he was asked by Usaamah ibn Zayd concerning his observance of the Sha’ban fasts, he answered, “It is a month that people neglect between Rajab and Ramadan; a month in which people’s deeds are taken up to the Lord of the Worlds and I would like my deeds to be taken up when I am fasting.” This hadith clearly indicates the importance of Islamic months, and living in the west we must maintain a relationship with Islamic religious symbols, the Islamic calendar being an important one. Additionally, the Prophet informed us of matters of the unseen, namely that our actions are taken up in this blessed month, and so, it would be sensible to be in a state of servitude whilst being taken to account.

We also know that the Prophet prayed for Sha’ban to be blessed and connected it to Ramadan thus informing us of an inextricable link between the two. He would supplicate, "O Allah, make the months of Rajab and Sha'ban blessed for us, and let us reach the month of Ramadan (i.e. prolong our life up to Ramadan, so that we may benefit from its merits and blessings)."[Al-Tabarani and Ahmad]

Abu Bakr al-Balkhi said: The month of Rajab is the month for planting, the month of Sha’ban is the month of irrigating crops, and the month of Ramadan is the month of harvesting the crops. He also said: The likeness of the month of Rajab is that of the wind, the likeness of Sha’ban is that of the clouds and the likeness of Ramadan is that of the rain; whoever does not plant and sow in Rajab, and does not irrigate in Sha’ban, how can he reap in Ramadan? Now Rajab has passed, so what will you do in Sha’ban if you are seeking Ramadan? This is how your Prophet and the early generations of the ummah were in this blessed month, so what will you do?

From amongst the forms of preparation is increasing in reciting the Quran. When Sha’ban would begin, ‘Amr ibn Qays (of the righteous early Muslims) would close his shop and free his time for reading Qur’an. The notion of excessive fasting, as quoted earlier, is found in the hadith of A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her), that she “did not see him fasting in any month more than in the month of Sha'ban.”[Bukhari]

Fasting is a great act of servitude and devotion to Allah, and given that the Arabic word sawm (fasting) means to restrain from something, it implies the repression of one’s nafs and worldly abstinence out of a firm belief in the afterlife. Abu Hurairah narrates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Allah said: The fast is for Me and I will give the reward for it, as he (the one who observes the fast) leaves his sexual desire, food and drink for My sake. Fasting is a guard (from Hell) and there are two pleasures for a fasting person, one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other at the time when he will meet his Lord. And the smell of the mouth of a fasting person is better to Allah than the smell of musk.”[Bukhari]

Let us use Sha’ban to become people of prayer and fasting, that we use the coming month as a time of rectification and spiritual rectitude, and we prepare our souls for the last Ramadan we may ever face. A’ishah narrates that the Prophet never fasted in any month more than in the month of Sha'ban. He used to say, “Do those deeds which you can do easily, as Allah will not get tired (of giving rewards) till you get bored and tired (of performing religious deeds).” The most beloved prayer to the Prophet was the one that was done regularly even if it were little, and whenever the Prophet offered a prayer he used to offer it regularly.[Bukhari]

http://www.islam21c.com/spirituality/5402-welcoming-shaban
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by Fishout(m): 12:31pm On Jun 14, 2013
jazakhumulah khairan as u make us know d important of month of shaban nd nd how to utilize it.continue post something like dis where many people will benefit.thanks
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by mclaaro(f): 12:31pm On Jun 14, 2013
Rahmadan calls,my favourite voice
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by darelar(m): 12:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
Salam Alaikum name sake
muhammadafeez: Al hamdulillahi to withnes this mounth of sha'ban,

Allahummo baarik lanaa fi rajab wa sha'ban waballgnaa ramadan.

allhummo aaaaaaaamen
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by Fabulous47(m): 12:45pm On Jun 14, 2013
sleemshady89: just u comment?;(
what is that?
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by emmyclassic(m): 1:08pm On Jun 14, 2013
pls wen is ramadan starting
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by boloase(m): 1:08pm On Jun 14, 2013
jazakumllah khair. may Allah give us d power to do his will n may He not deny us the inherent benefits
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by Kuzzey(m): 1:42pm On Jun 14, 2013
Jazakallah khair !
Re: Welcoming Sha'ban by lateef4me(m): 2:19pm On Jun 14, 2013
Abeg,what month and date is ramadan gonna start ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Before Ramadan: Renewing Our Vows With The Quran / Every Soul Shall Have A Taste Of Death / The Month Of Rajab: Is It Permissible To Fast?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.