Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,404 members, 7,861,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:55 AM

There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! (664 Views)

The Best Of The Atheists In Nairaland So Far / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by bolaino(m): 7:06am On Jun 11, 2013
The term foxhole is used to describe a defensive fighting position by the armed forces, in the US marine it's slanged "fighting hole" while in the US army it's nicknamed "ranger grave" I know u guys would be wondering what atheism has to do with a military defense strategy, but don't worry I'll make my point soon,

From what I gathered from DFP (defensive fighting position) or foxhole it's a very unique fighting position cos it's usually made for a single soldier, and the soldier is usually faced with oncoming onslaught from the enemy, a very scary position, where even grown men shyte their pants and even the most skilled navy seal would piss on himself, thus that's why the army came up with the above topic "there are no atheists in foxholes" cos when you're in a foxhole whether u believe in a God or not, u'll commit yourself to him at that moment.

And in reality I think they are right, most of us atheists have'nt really been faced with serious problems that would make us seek for solutions in the oDdest places (for an atheist that would be a church) or question our stance, these problems could come in different forms, maybe financial, bad health or problems that we've tried solving the orthodox way, without any solution, and we are forced to cry out to a God, be it the christian God or muslim God, but we would be forced to acknowledge and seek help from a being who is more powerful than us,

I've known of atheists who have given their lives to the christian jesus when they were faced with certain death, the point I'm trying to make is that circumstances shape a man, and no body knows the future and I hope no atheist is placed in a position where he or she is forced to acknowledge a higher power,

Abi una think say na clear eye people dey run go meet TB joshua?
Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by Kay17: 7:19am On Jun 11, 2013
^^ the problem with thw above is a failure of imagination. The (or most) atheists are absolutely convinced about the absence of the spirit world/God, that they see and give life a uniquely different meaning from religious ppl.

So if an atheist has an accident or is saved from one, he interprets it differently from the religious individual who constantly see redemption/salvation in all events of his life.
Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 11, 2013
OP,

This argument has been debunked long ago

1) There were atheists in foxholes
2) Even in times of trouble without solutions, I still dont call on God as it wont change anything
Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by bolaino(m): 7:26am On Jun 11, 2013
Kay 17: ^^ the problem with thw above is a failure of imagination. The (or most) atheists are absolutely convinced about the absence of the spirit world/God, that they see and give life a uniquely different meaning from religious ppl.

So if an atheist has an accident or is saved from one, he interprets it differently from the religious individual who constantly see redemption/salvation in all events of his life.

have'nt u heard of people who have suffered from illnesses that even advanced medicine has no clue about how to deal with it? And in those kind of cases the best doctors would have run out of ideas on what to do, and the patient is left to his/her fate, if you were in such a position what would u do?
Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by bolaino(m): 7:30am On Jun 11, 2013
Logicboy03: OP,

This argument has been debunked long ago

1) There were atheists in foxholes
2) Even in times of trouble without solutions, I still dont call on God as it wont change anything
aye I know as an individual u must have had your own share of problems or u must have found yourself in a position where everything seemed bleak, but I'm sure u've not been faced with a debilitating health condition that orthodox medicine could not cure, and I hope you never experience any of such, but never say never my good man,
Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by Kay17: 7:31am On Jun 11, 2013
bolaino: have'nt u heard of people who have suffered from illnesses that even advanced medicine has no clue about how to deal with it? And in those kind of cases the best doctors would have run out of ideas on what to do, and the patient is left to his/her fate, if you were in such a position what would u do?

Illnesses like HIV, diabetes, arthritis, herpes, OCD, there are many out there that are incurable. Would that suddenly result to the conclusion that atheists wld lean on spiritual medicine?

1 Like

Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by bolaino(m): 7:49am On Jun 11, 2013
Kay 17:

Illnesses like HIV, diabetes, arthritis, herpes, OCD, there are many out there that are incurable. Would that suddenly result to the conclusion that atheists wld lean on spiritual medicine?
hahahaha, na really spiritual medicine, my good man, by the end of the day atheism is an individual journey, and each atheist would make personal decisions when faced with such problems, the decision you would make might be different from the one richard dawkins might make. So it still boils down to the individual. Never say never my brother.
Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by Kay17: 8:00am On Jun 11, 2013
^^ we are all masked existentialists.

1 Like

Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by bolaino(m): 8:27am On Jun 11, 2013
Kay 17: ^^ we are all masked existentialists.
true word
Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by jayriginal: 11:15am On Jun 11, 2013
OP, I have faced what I thought was certain death. Not once did I think of anything resembling any kind of god. I was on the floor with a gun pointed to my head. I had no idea as to what would come next. Death didnt come but I was expecting it. Not everyone is the same. Some people will face that experience and probably get religious. Some wont.

1 Like

Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:25pm On Jun 11, 2013
“Maybe there are only atheists in foxholes. If the faithful truly and fully believe in a protective deity, why would they dive into a foxhole to protect themseleves from the bullets whizzing by? A part of their brain knows damn well that if they do not protect themselves, the bullets will hardly discriminate between those who claim faith and those who reject it.”
- J. Anderson Thomson, Jr., MD
Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by bolaino(m): 9:20pm On Jun 11, 2013
jayriginal: OP, I have faced what I thought was certain death. Not once did I think of anything resembling any kind of god. I was on the floor with a gun pointed to my head. I had no idea as to what would come next. Death didnt come but I was expecting it. Not everyone is the same. Some people will face that experience and probably get religious. Some wont.

well you're right mann,
Re: There Are No Atheists In Foxholes!!! by bolaino(m): 9:20pm On Jun 11, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: “Maybe there are only atheists in foxholes. If the faithful truly and fully believe in a protective deity, why would they dive into a foxhole to protect themseleves from the bullets whizzing by? A part of their brain knows damn well that if they do not protect themselves, the bullets will hardly discriminate between those who claim faith and those who reject it.”
- J. Anderson Thomson, Jr., MD
nice quote,

(1) (Reply)

Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Tuesday 2nd July, 2013 You Will Make It! By Pastor E. / Is Wearing Jewelries A Sin? Show Bible Proves / Kenya Lawyer Sues Israel Over The Death Of Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.