Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,729 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija (2947 Views)

Photo: The Benin Stowaway Boy Is Seriously Growing And He Is Really Handsome / Bianca Ojukwu,the Best Thing To Have Happened To The Nigeria Embassy Madrid. / Is There Any Good Thing About Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by vikiviko(m): 12:27pm On May 06, 2008
For obvious reasons, many of us had a naija hoodie background, and a large percentage are living in diferent countries now. Although some claim Naija based on the fact theor parents are from there but they them selves have never been there for longer than a few months or so at a stretch.Personally if you were never flogged in school or terrorized by "seniors" , you don't count,lol.

But truly what is the best thing about growing up in Naija. What are those little things that bring a smile to your face whenever u remember them. What are those things that can only happen in Najia.Those little idiosyncharcies that seperate Nigerians from all other Africans.Those expression that if u heard on the streets of London ,New York or Milan, you'd instantly know it's a Nigerian talking.

For me the expression "see me see trobule oh" or the Nigerian way of remixing songs eg "kimon, it cosign you, see your face like gorilla, always bring a smile to my face.

So let it out people, let's remember those cool things about GROWING UP NAIJA.
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by VOR(m): 1:20pm On May 06, 2008
I love the respect that Nigerian youngsters IN GENERAL have for people
older than them. I am trying to ensure this is passed on to my kids here.

One of the funniest phrases I heard was from an ex girlfiend who was very upfront
and wasn't shy in providing me with condoms, she would always preface it with:

in case of incasity[i][/i]. cheesy Always brings a smile to my face when I remember her.
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Vicjustice: 1:26pm On May 06, 2008
Some considerable  benefits of growing up in Nigeria is the fact that Home Is Home: you share the system of the country, and this makes you hard in one way or the other, hence you're able to persevere in many challenging condition you find yourself, and these developments automatically make you resistant to depression.
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by iice(f): 4:56pm On May 06, 2008
VOR:

older than them.

So true!
There's almost nothing like the food kiss
Having malaria is like having a fever cheesy
Abusing in pidgin or your native language to really drive the point across grin
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by omega25red(m): 5:02pm On May 06, 2008
VOR:

older than them. I am trying to ensure this is passed on to my kids here.

One of the funniest phrases I heard was from an ex girlfiend who was very upfront
and wasn't shy in providing me with condoms, she would always preface it with:

in case of incasity[i][/i]. cheesy Always brings a smile to my face when I remember her.

so true but there is nothing like christmas in Nigeria for me i miss that so much
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by babycool(f): 7:16pm On May 06, 2008
Eating hot eba and delicious Ogbono soup prepared with dry fish yummmy!!! smiley
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by lucabrasi(m): 11:46pm On May 06, 2008
the best thing about growing up in nigeria is not being responsible for your upkeep,having someone to cook for you,wash your clothes,having a driver and you dont know what the word rent or mortgage means,
arcade games,every sunday jollof rice and meat or chicken or poundo,miss christmas and the whole party,fire works party to ushe in the new yer at a friends place
birthdays,naija shawarma,our driver's stories(the man's mouth is extra,extra sweet, miss u baba kazeem lol)
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by 4Him1(m): 11:58pm On May 06, 2008
Knowing everyone on your street.
The nightly N20 suya
watching NTA 2 Channel 5 childrens belt at 4pm usually prefaced by the famous rainbow colored lines on the screen.
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Uche2nna(m): 12:13am On May 07, 2008
Just being around the block.

Knowing U can drop in ur friend's house without sending an email or waiting to be invited.

Being free to make a whole lot of noise with ur friends in the street .

Evening soccer games. Those were heavenly!!!!!!!
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by 4Him1(m): 12:19am On May 07, 2008
Never having to worry about monthly bills!!! shocked Everything is pay as you go.
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Cadet(f): 12:29am On May 07, 2008
Seeing my grandma anytime I want kiss kiss Sitting on her lap and cuddling with her, running to her after I've caused trouble. .hehehe cheesy grin

Rough playing with my cousins kiss kiss

Running naked in the rain grin grin

Climbing trees

Walking to school with friends and talking

The beatings when tardy to school cry cry grin

Me and my cousins running from teachers when it's our time to sweep the compound. . hahahha, this part, I can never forget.

Visiting the Village anytime, esp. during easter and Christmas, going to the farm with Mmama (grandma) to get fruits and cocoa.

Climbing trees, esp. mango trees grin grin Stealing mango trees from neighbors yard ( I admit, I was horrible, but I was a kid na grin)

Waking up early to clean the house, sweep around the house and fetching water

Being with my cousins. . I miss you guys cry cry kiss What do you know, now we're all grown and apart, soon and very soon kiss

When visiting the village, going to the market with Mmama

I esp. miss CAC, has one of the best preachers, spirit moving. Me and my cousings waking each other up to stay awake while my aunty scowls at us cheesy grin

NIGHT VIGILS ( long night vigils, how can I forget that?), also the travels for night vigils.

So many best things its just too much to mention.
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by vicade(m): 12:31am On May 07, 2008
Playing mummy and daddy.
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Cadet(f): 12:31am On May 07, 2008
4 Him:

Never having to worry about monthly bills!!! shocked Everything is pay as you go.

Hehehe, what are you complaining about? You've hardly started grin cheesy

vicade:

Playing mummy and daddy.
Oh yea, LOL!!

and using mud clay to create any sculpture, est. pot and spoon grin cheesy
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by sheniqua: 12:34am On May 07, 2008
his_grace:

I love the fact that I can fok anyone at anytime.

did they swear for you with @#$%
you need deliverance
I'm sure you know the red light districts in London grin
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by chisimdi(f): 12:39am On May 07, 2008
sheniqua:

did they swear for you with @#$%
you need deliverance
I'm sure you know the red light districts in London grin
@his grace,u need 2 b castracted other wise ur generation might end up being a waste.
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by sheniqua: 12:40am On May 07, 2008
all his posts are about fornication grin
and lots of it too
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Cadet(f): 3:11am On May 07, 2008
sheniqua:

all his posts are about fornication grin
and lots of it too
You're seriously minding him? But his post are funny at times. They're so stupid its funny grin cheesy
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Spermdrops(m): 9:51pm On May 07, 2008
My sweet childhood. Lots of fun.
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by DisGuy: 3:45am On May 08, 2008
i like the way people say stuff like

Bolanle abi what do you call yourself
chukwuemeka or what did you call yourself
babayaro or what is that your name

even though they know your name well well!!
even on nairaland when you can see the person's username grin
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Ezinwannem: 3:46am On May 08, 2008
going to relatives place all over Naija on long vacation and villa in dec. where all ma cuzzins meet and we have a wonderful xmas,
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Tahila(f): 11:37am On May 08, 2008
Dis Guy:

Lool
THat Is soo Tru!!
grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by vikiviko(m): 4:20pm On May 08, 2008
I really can't remember the song that well, Perhaps some of you ladies can help me out. It was one those games y'all played during lunch time in primary school.

"I beat Mary she no cry, i kill Mary she no die , which kind Mary be this oh, Amina, amina don come , a lazy girl , a foolish girl, waka joko waka joko supe pepper ogooni piom."

Not sure sure i got it right.

Everywhere you go,(x2)
Sisi Eko
Baba Ibadan

Most peeps that were in the 80's should remember this next one, its a testament to the nigerian ability to remix

Drop that pant, you may loooose your life

Wili Wili don die,na who kill am, na nchle kill am , clap for Nchele

Our father two times eleven,hallowed be thy name

Your papa and mama they hate each other
as they sit at the dining table
papa said to mama, this food's DISGUSTING
mama carry apo stone am for head
aye ye ye yeeeeeh ,oh Remi oh,
just pack your load oh, and leave this house(x2)

this one is much later ,probably only those that were around in the time of Makaso may remember this

I buy kuli kuli they no give me change(x2)
kuli kuli palaver, kuli kli palaver

not sure if i got that one exactly right too

Anyone that knows the accurate songs, please feel free to correct me

MORE TO COME SOON, AS LONG AS I CAN DIG INTO THE TRENCHES OF CHILDHOOD MEMORY,LOL
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by ty4real(m): 5:34pm On May 08, 2008
For me really,it is about my native delicacy ooo IKOKORE,

Watching tales by moonlight every sunday by 6:30pm on NTA

Having power shortage in the night so that I wont be able to read and of course since it is night nobody will be willing to go and put on the gen set(What we do when we are younger when our folks say have you read today?) grin grin grin

Naija ni ile men,I can never for get Nigeria wink wink
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by PapaBrowne(m): 1:39am On May 09, 2008
vikiviko:

I really can't remember the song that well, Perhaps some of you ladies can help me out. It was one those games y'all played during lunch time in primary school.

"I beat Mary she no cry, i kill Mary she no die , which kind Mary be this oh, Amina, amina don come , a lazy girl , a foolish girl, waka joko waka joko supe pepper ogooni piom."

You know, I remembered this song recently and I laughed! Who on earth formed that kind of creative jargon! Luvly song no doubt!

Best thing about growing up in Naija- Christmas time!! All the killing of the goat,chicken and what have you,the food, the visitors, the christmas clothes, naaah,it was so kool!
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by babycool(f): 1:57pm On May 09, 2008
vikiviko:

Everywhere you go,(x2)
Sisi Eko
Baba Ibadan

Most peeps that were in the 80's should remember this next one, its a testament to the nigerian ability to remix

Drop that pant, you may loooose your life

Wili Wili don die,na who kill am, na nchle kill am , clap for Nchele

Our father two times eleven,hallowed be thy name

Your papa and mama they hate each other
as they sit at the dining table
papa said to mama, this food's DISGUSTING
mama carry apo stone am for head
aye ye ye yeeeeeh ,oh Remi oh,
just pack your load oh, and leave this house(x2)

this one is much later ,probably only those that were around in the time of Makaso may remember this

I buy kuli kuli they no give me change(x2)
kuli kuli palaver, kuli kli palaver

not sure if i got that one exactly right too

Anyone that knows the accurate songs, please feel free to correct me

MORE TO COME SOON, AS LONG AS I CAN DIG INTO THE TRENCHES OF CHILDHOOD MEMORY,LOL

My brother! You are taking me down the memory lane.

I remeber how we used to play 10-10 and Suwe. I wonder if children of nowadays still do that.

Can you remenber this song;

Sandalilily sandalily

Sandalilily sandalily

Sandalilily sandalily, sandalily

Sandaquestion

Am an Ibo my my country

Everybody know me well

If you look at me up and down

You will know that it's true

Sandalilily Sandalily . . . . . . . ,

And its goes on with different tribes.

The good old days!  grin
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by sways102(m): 3:49am On May 10, 2008
For me, i cannot point out at one thing being the best aout growing up in Naija. There are a lot of good things about gowing in this part of the world. I love the fact that. I loveespecially the chrismas and ileya festival. There's also the term everybody grew up with when Nepa or PHCN restores electric power, we all shout UP NEPA!!!
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by sheniqua: 4:02am On May 10, 2008
Dis Guy:

LOL
another way they say it is:
sheniqua or what do they call you grin
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by WebMonk(m): 9:57am On May 10, 2008
So many. For one though, you can disicpline your child without the danger of getting sued, or the Social Security Service being notified.
Plus, if there's no light, at least your store is still relatively safe! (imagine that in the west!)
And university life! Oh yes o!

PS: I actually played 10-10 and ete-ete! Good lord! What am i remebering? Long live Naija!
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Xiomarra: 10:09am On May 10, 2008
Life in the village. So peaceful. smiley
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by ernal(m): 2:25pm On May 10, 2008
Voltron the defender of the Universe.

Welli Welli

Danger Mouse

Super Ted

Gosh love the cartoons way back then and the ibter-street soccers before the whole English League Saga.

Loving Nija Hood
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by ty4real(m): 5:50pm On May 10, 2008
ernal:

Voltron the defender of the Universe.

Welli Welli

Danger Mouse

Super Ted

Gosh love the cartoons way back then and the ibter-street soccers before the whole English League Saga.

Loving Nigeria Hood

Na tru talk,I enjoyed this two specially!
I remember Village headmaster and Behind the cloud!Wonder where those soaps are now ? grin grin
Re: What Is The Best Thing About Growing Up in Naija by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 10, 2008
Playing mummy and daddy.

you can say dat again,alongside playing teacher wt no student

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transport Prices From Lagos To Any Part Of Nigeria 2018 / United States Visa Waiver Program And Africa / The Largest State In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.