Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,554 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition (5463 Views)

Operation Clean And Healthy Anambra Seize Market Women's Goods / Market Women In Rivers State Protest Nullification Of Wike's Election (photos) / Awka Market Women Protesting Against INEC - PHOTO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by gbanikiti(m): 11:53am On Jun 12, 2013
ONITSHA — Market women in Eke Awka market in the Anambra State capital, yesterday, took to the streets in protest against imposition of tax on them by the state government.

The protesters who later marched to the state House of Assembly said they were asked to pay a minimum tax of N3,000 each, a development that did not go down well with them.

Some of the women who spoke to Vanguard said there was nothing to justify the imposition of tax on market women as it was the same reason that sparked off the 1929 Aba Women’s Riot. The women said the tolls and other market tickets given to them were enough.

Consequently, the Anambra State government made good its threat to shut down markets and commercial outfits in the state over non payment of the new tax, with Eke Awka main market as the first casualty.

Traders who came to the market as early as 7am were surprised to find police and other security agents barricading the gate to the market and also refusing anyone entry, claiming to be acting on the order of the state government.

At 8:30 am when all the traders including consumers have all arrived the market, trouble started, with some of the traders mobilizing themselves to Arthur Eze Avenue, the road leading to the market and barricading it, denying motorists the right of passage.

It was, however, learnt that the Commissioner for Special Duties, Mr Robert Okonkwo, who addressed traders in the market said only women who owned shops in the market were expected to pay the tax, adding that hawkers, roadside traders and others were exempted from paying the tax.

Meantime, it was gathered that the market women are planning to protest naked to the Government House, Awka as a way to attracting government attention to their plight.

An executive member of Eke Awka Market Women Association who begged for anonymity told Vanguard that the government has made good their threat of taxing women by locking Eke Awka main market over refusal to pay the sum of N3,000.

The source said the women were planning to embark on the protest if government refused to back down on the raid of their shops.

The Public Relations Officer of Awka South Market Amalgamated Traders Union, ASMATU, an umbrella body that oversees markets in Awka metropolis, Comrade Obi Ochije has backed the planned naked protest of the women if only to stop government from taxing women in the state

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/awka-market-women-protest-tax-imposition/
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 12, 2013
I want to understand the taxation system employed here. Are traders dealing on crayfish and vegetables expected to pay N3,000 as well? Having a shop does not mean that you should pay the same amount of money with someone who deals on more expensive items and makes more money than you do. The government should have a rethink and apply common sense when it comes to matters of this nature.

2 Likes

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by gbanikiti(m): 12:17pm On Jun 12, 2013
When women go on protest, it means something serious made them do so. I don't wanna see bra - less women protesting on streets. grin
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 12, 2013
cheesy grin
gbanikiti: When women go on protest, it means something serious made them do so. I don't wanna see bra - less women protesting on streets. grin
old mama's brea.st wey don sag finish some go dey like slippers self. If to say na young gals go protest bra-less, e for sweet to watch joor. Anyam achoghi ihu aru o.
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:45pm On Jun 12, 2013
AWKA MUST BE AN ACN CONTROLLED VICINITY!!! grin

Ok, lemme try to be a little bigot here, the same way an average bigotted igbo man will respond to this article if it were in Lagos:

"Awka oni baje oooogrin

"What kind of leader feed on his poor masses? If these people are okay, they won't be going to the market tryin to buy and sell! In a more developed country, the govt wld av given them shops for free and even pay them transport allowance to and fro everyday!

"And some people will start praising them here on the net as if he was the only performing govnr! Keep suffering in silence. We all knw wot u are going tru!" grin

"I trust my govnrs in the people's republic of biafra. Make we split self" grin

On a more deadly note:

What are my people still doing in Lagos? They shld come home to develop it grin

Now, as e be so, where una go run to? grin

11 Likes

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Garrithe1st: 12:58pm On Jun 12, 2013
This is Fashola's fault. He started the victimization of Ibos, now Peter AdaObi is towing the same line. Ibos must show Fashola that they cannot be intimidated. The more Fashola hates and envies them, the more they succeed. If not for Ibos Lagos and the South-West would be one big jungle....

6 Likes

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by gbanikiti(m): 1:04pm On Jun 12, 2013
SLIDE waxie: AWKA MUST BE AN ACN CONTROLLED VICINITY!!! grin

Ok, lemme try to be a little bigot here, the same way an average bigotted igbo man will respond to this article if it were in Lagos:

"Awka oni baje oooogrin

"What kind of leader feed on his poor masses? If these people are okay, they won't be going to the market tryin to buy and sell! In a more developed country, the govt wld av given them shops for free and even pay them transport allowance to and fro everyday!

"And some people will start praising them here on the net as if he was the only performing govnr! Keep suffering in silence. We all knw wot u are going tru!" grin

On a more deadly note:

I don't know if your joke is funny but you try sha. cool
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 12, 2013
shocked

Ok, lemme try to be a bigot here,D
you called youself a bigot! Remember that once a bigot is forever a bigot.

6 Likes

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 12, 2013
Now I know better....Tax avoidance and hating anything Taxation is in the genes

1 Like

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by gbanikiti(m): 1:40pm On Jun 12, 2013
ilugunboy: Now I know better....Tax avoidance and hating anything Taxation is in the genes
No it's not! it's a general thing so don't try the blame game. cool

Bawo ni bobo to dun? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 12, 2013
gbanikiti: No it's not! it's a general thing so don't try the blame game. cool

Bawo ni bobo to dun? cheesy

heheeheeeeeeehee....I just dey reminiscence over the old Aba women riot and situating it with this modern age riot...

You send the PM? Seen the alert but not yet in my inbox...
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:59pm On Jun 12, 2013
gbanikiti: I don't know if your joke is funny but you try sha. cool
o shey. At least e no dry reach d last one. Mo wet e
grin
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by gbanikiti(m): 3:11pm On Jun 12, 2013
ilugunboy:

heheeheeeeeeehee....I just dey reminiscence over the old Aba women riot and situating it with this modern age riot...

yes i sent the PM. maybe you should check your spam box. sometimes yahoo could be naughty. cool

1 Like

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by gbanikiti(m): 3:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
SLIDE waxie: o shey. At least e no dry reach d last one. Mo wet e
grin
lol! iwo omode yi, o gbadun rara! grin
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by FunnyPikincom(m): 7:10pm On Jun 12, 2013
wow... this reminds me of ABA WOMEN RIOT OF 1922 wink
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Kingslaw(m): 7:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
The money is for those that will help them Rig the upcoming election.
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by ShobayoEmma(m): 7:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
no oil money in the state so they should help thier govt to generate revenue now
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Policewoman(f): 7:15pm On Jun 12, 2013
ilugunboy:

Stop chyking my sister, you this boy...
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Zonacom(m): 7:16pm On Jun 12, 2013

"Awka oni baje oooogrin

On a more deadly note:

One word; senseless!

6 Likes

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by dedons: 7:19pm On Jun 12, 2013
na only dem sabi protest
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by dayokanu(m): 7:19pm On Jun 12, 2013
Policewoman: Stop chyking my sister, you this boy...

Make he dey Chyke you instead?

1 Like

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by ACM10: 7:24pm On Jun 12, 2013
Seun dreamt of Anambra state last night

2 Likes

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Policewoman(f): 7:24pm On Jun 12, 2013
dayokanu:

Him wan chyke him grandmama?
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Jomark(m): 7:28pm On Jun 12, 2013
dedons: na only dem sabi protest
dunlop close ur mouth if u hv notin to talk

1 Like

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by gbanikiti(m): 7:40pm On Jun 12, 2013
Policewoman: Him wan chyke him grandmama?
iji kwa ahu? onye ka i na akpo grandmama? grin
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by bobthebuilder99(m): 7:40pm On Jun 12, 2013
Awka oni baje oooo!

Obi is punishing the poor!
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Uceegal: 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2013
Abeg make dis women no go unclad,cos somehow some younger women who still dey sharp would be involved. Let them help our men, abeg oooo
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by ojimbo(m): 8:02pm On Jun 12, 2013
Am just passing over, coming from ghana, heading to cameroon, waoooooo am i in nigeria? Ohhhh the people are confused, i have an advice for you people, kill all your leaders, both the present and formal ones, they are there corrupting the new generations with their old time wickedness

2 Likes

Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by SlyIg(f): 8:15pm On Jun 12, 2013
In my state, Akwa Ibom, there is riot by the students.
In Awka here, women are also rioting. Whats happening! Where do i go from here...
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Policewoman(f): 8:26pm On Jun 12, 2013
SlyIg: In my state, Akwa Ibom, there is riot by the students.
In Awka here, women are also rioting. Whats happening! Where do i go from here...
Go to Bauchi.
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jun 12, 2013
Policewoman: Stop chyking my sister, you this boy...

angry angry
Re: Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jun 12, 2013
dayokanu:

I go chop all the Egunje she dey collect...

(1) (2) (Reply)

PROOF: Gov Ayodele Fayose Is Using Fake HND Certificate / PDP Poll: Are Nigerians Better Off Today Than 2 Years Ago? Shocking Results!! / Tradermoni Initiative To Boost Petty Trading – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.