Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. (3150 Views)

Ijebuland's Ojude Oba Festival 2015 (pictures) / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by pleep(m): 7:17pm On Jun 12, 2013
This is part one of my war on Afrocentrism, an ideology i was once a part of before i realized what a deluded crock of crap it was. Afrocentrism is the number one cause of black suffering in the world today because it doesn't tell us who our real enemies are.

Our enemy is ourselves... and your false victim-hoods and scapegoats distract us from solving this problem.

This is an open invitation to every Afrocentric on this forum, to debate this irrefutable point:

black people are the number 1 cause of our low standing in the world today

- number one cause africas high Aids and STD rates
- number one cause of violence in our communities
- number one cause of poverty and economic underdevelopment
- number one cause of out of wedlock births and abortion
- and the number once cause of these problems in other countries

Not colonialism, not slavery and not Jim crow... If you cannot disprove this assertion stop trying to defend black people from their indefensible behaviors

2 Likes

Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by pleep(m): 7:20pm On Jun 12, 2013
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jun 12, 2013
I actually agree wholly with this. But I believe Afrocentrism was originally NOT suppose to be about racism or being pro black. Afrocentricism just meant looking at world history from an African viewpoint which had nothing to do with attacking whites or blaming whites. But now its been hijacked by crazed people...

2 Likes

Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 12, 2013
And may I add...That modern Afrocentricism is a joke, but if it wasn't for the early days of Afrocentricsm during the 60s with people like Diop, then people would still believe that Africans or 'black' people had no civilizations, no contribution throughout human history and were just a primitive people which Eurocentrism taught people in the early days. I'm just pointing that out, Afrocentrism back in the days was definitely NOT a 'coon' festival.

4 Likes

Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by pleep(m): 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2013
^ Thats true anyway... I heard some dumbass honkey say that pre-colonial Africans had "no fire or the wheel" I must admit the old pleep came out. grin

But how much excuse do we have for trading huge tracts of land for peices of glass, like was done in the congo... what about the cannibalism that was done in parts of Nigeria? Why did hundreds of thousands of west Africans go and fight for their colonizers in world wars 1 & 2 instead of fighting for their own Independance?

....The more i research African history the more disgusted i get
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 12, 2013
pleep: ^ Thats true anyway... I heard some dumbass honkey say that pre-colonial Africans had "no fire or the wheel" I must admit the old pleep came out. grin

But how much excuse do we have for trading huge tracts of land for peices of glass, like was done in the congo... what about the cannibalism that was done in parts of Nigeria? Why did hundreds of thousands of west Africans go and fight for their colonizers in world wars 1 & 2 instead of fighting for their own Independance?

....The more i research African history the more disgusted i get

Now I am not saying modern Afrocentricsm is not a joke because it is. People like Clyde Winters and I have debated against him many times. But what I am just saying the original Afrocentrism had nothing to do with how you are describing it, it actually helped people of African descent when it came to history, it gave them hope.

And I don't disagree with you second paragraph. I actually agree 100%.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by PAPAAFRICA: 7:50pm On Jun 12, 2013
so do blacks have a innate instinct to do such things or?
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by pleep(m): 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: so do blacks have a innate instinct to do such things or?
Yea.

Have you ever heard of HBT? (human biodiversity theory) It basically makes the case that there is no possible way for the different races to have evolved with the same mental & behavioral patterns. It is already clear that blacks have higher levels of testosterone than other races

The good news it that, T is linked to superior spatial reasoning skills. But I think the downsides of it (hyper-sexuality, risk taking, poor jugement) are over-shadowing the benefits for the time being.

I compare it to a genius with ADHD
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by pleep(m): 8:02pm On Jun 12, 2013
Nigerian immigrants, and other Africans, are the highest achieving immigrant group in the united states. Especially in Math and sciences (positive effect of testosterone)

http://www.bet.com/news/national/2012/03/20/survey-nigerians-most-educated-in-the-u-s.html

However, in this same race we have B.As who have the highest incarceration rates in the united states, along with act scores averaging 17. (negative effects of testostorone)

Our genes are clearly a double edged sword... if we use them right we can be the most successfull race on earth, if we use them wrong we will be coons forever... forever making excuses

2 Likes

Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 12, 2013
pleep: Nigerian immigrants, and other Africans, are the highest achieving immigrant group in the united states. Especially in Math and sciences (positive effect of testosterone)

http://www.bet.com/news/national/2012/03/20/survey-nigerians-most-educated-in-the-u-s.html

However, in this same race we have B.As who have the highest incarceration rates in the united states, along with act scores averaging 17. (negative effects of testostorone)

Our genes are clearly a double edged sword... if we use them right we can be the most successfull race on earth, if we use them wrong we will be coons forever... forever making excuses

When it comes to B.A the main factor in their underperfomance and high incarceration is lead, I don't know if you've heard anything about the lead hypotheses, what do you think of the links below. I was initialy sceptical, but you can't dispute the evidence.

www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/01/lead-and-crime-linkfest

www.guardiannews.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/07/violent-crime-lead-poisoning-british-export

www.ricknevin.com/uploads/Nevin_Lead_Poisoning_and_The_Bell_Curve.pdf

www.ricknevin.com/uploads/Why_is_the_Murder_Rate_Lower_in_NYC.pdf

www.ricknevin.com/uploads/The_Plummeting_USA_Incarceration_Rate.pdf

www.ricknevin.com
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 12, 2013
Crime and race. In the postwar era,
black children were exposed to much more lead than white children. This explains some of the racial differences in both crime rates and incarceration rates.

www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/01/lead-and-crime-how-it-connects-race
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Rossikk(m): 11:28pm On Jun 12, 2013
I GUESS THE COLONIALISTS TOO WERE ''LOONY AFROCENTRISTS''

Lord Lugard, First British Governor-General of Nigeria, had a wife, Flora Shaw, (Lady Lugard) who was a historian. She had also worked for the Times Of London. She wrote a famous book in the 1900s titled A Tropical Dependency: An Outline of the Ancient History of the Western Sudan With an Account of the Modern Settlement of Northern Nigeria

''Flora Shaw's book is an extraordinary look at the history of Africa, which she gathered from countless sources, and one would imagine a great deal of it came from the British Library and from the archives of The Times of London, for whom she had for many years been the Foreign Political Correspondent. She had always been known to be an intensive researcher into her subject-matter, and one wonders at the months and probably years she put into this undertaking, which became the reference work for so many future books on Africa. This book was first published 100 years ago showing with detail and descriptive power, the greatness that Africa once was. Lady Lugard argues that:

[b]"When the history of Negroland comes to be written in detail, it may be found that the kingdoms lying towards the eastern end of Sudan (classical home of Ancient Ethiopians) were the home of races who inspired, rather than of races who received, the tradition of civilization associated for us with the name of ancient Egypt. For they cover on either side of the Upper Nile between the latitudes of ten degrees and seventeen degrees, territories in which are found monuments more ancient than the oldest Egyptian monuments. If this should prove to be the case and civilized world be forced to recognize in a black people the fount of its original enlightenment, it may happen that we shall have to revise entirely our view of the black races, and regard those who now exist as the decadent representatives of an almost forgotten era, rather than as the embryonic possibility of an era yet to come."

"The fame of the ancient Ethiopians (ancient Kushites) was widespread in ancient history. Herodotus described them as the tallest, most beautiful and long-lived of the human races, and before Herodotus, Homer, in even more flattering language, described them as the most just of men, the favorites of the gods. The annals of all the great early nations of Asia Minor are full of them. The Mosaic records allude to them frequently; but while they are described as the most powerful, the most just, and the most beautiful of the human race, they are constantly spoken of as Black, and there seems to be no other conclusion to be drawn than at that remote period of history, the leading race of the Western World was a Black race."[/b]

Lady Lugard/Flora Shaw Lugard, Asa G. Hilliard, III, A Tropical Dependency: An Outline of the Ancient History of the Western Sudan With an Account of the Modern Settlement of Northern Nigeria (1900)
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Naima00: 1:36am On Jul 05, 2013
this makes me sad...
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by pleep(m): 1:42pm On Jul 05, 2013
^ Why shocked cry
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by cap28: 2:56pm On Aug 09, 2013
pleep, sounds like you've plunged back into the self hatred zone.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 09, 2013
@Op... All the vices you mentioned, were they obtainable in pre-colonial Africa?
The only reason you are judging the blackman by the standards and measuring scale of the white man is because slavery & colonialism in whatever form has not ended!
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by PAPAAFRICA: 3:31am On Aug 10, 2013
Pleep, reading your previous posts I notice you were an extreme afrocentrist now you on the exact opposite side. Just an observation.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by igbo2011(m): 8:24pm On Aug 11, 2013
pleep: This is part one of my war on Afrocentrism, an ideology i was once a part of before i realized what a deluded crock of crap it was. Afrocentrism is the number one cause of black suffering in the world today because it doesn't tell us who our real enemies are.

Our enemy is ourselves... and your false victim-hoods and scapegoats distract us from solving this problem.

This is an open invitation to every Afrocentric on this forum, to debate this irrefutable point:

black people are the number 1 cause of our low standing in the world today

- number one cause africas high Aids and STD rates
- number one cause of violence in our communities
- number one cause of poverty and economic underdevelopment
- number one cause of out of wedlock births and abortion
- and the number once cause of these problems in other countries

Not colonialism, not slavery and not Jim crow... If you cannot disprove this assertion stop trying to defend black people from their indefensible behaviors

I am very afrocentric myself and I have to agree with you. but i put the blame on the west AND Afficans. The west plays their part in neocolonialism but we do ery bad things to orselves let me explan.

We have a deep inferiority complex and self hatred. We worhip Europeans and Arabs. It is funny how when they had the Royal Baby Africans were celebrating. It is funny how that baby;s ancestors brought hell to ours and we are celebrating. Woud we be clebrating if the Aashanti empire had a baby that was going to be 3rd in line? Probalbly not. We worship our enemies.

It is funny how I always see Nigerians and other Africans on the continent and the Diaspora always wear the Amrian flag and British flag. Thse coiuntries are enemies to us yet we still wear the flags. They have rought hell to us for 5 centrueis and are still here with neocolonialism and funding genocides and controlling politicians in Afrca yet we worship them. Arabs brought us hell too.

We name our children after our enemeies. We will make an excuse saying it is in the Koran or Bible. We go by these names instead of our African names.

Did you know after America dropped an A bomb on Japan, Japanese stopped buying American products? Europeans have been bringing hell to us for 500 ears an we ONLY buy European products. We have stockhom syndrome and self hatred. No matter how bad oreigners treat us we respect and love them.

A couple weeks ago Italians threw bananas at the first African politician of Italy. We respond buy importing millions of Italian suits. We have many tailors who cn make those or African designs but we just love our Italans who treat us very badly.

We will atually defend our oppressor and make an excuse I was speaking to Nigerians about th war in Libya 2 ears ago. I said how Britain and merica bleeped them up and caused a black gnocide. Instead of standing up for them they defended Britain.

Our mindset is SOOOOO messed up. With a mental revolution there will automatically be an economic one.

4 Likes

Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2013
@OP, you've offered no evidence that indicates you understand what afrocentricity actually connotes.

Why don't start by providing a working definition, to allow a proper assessment of how the ills you highlighted stack up.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 12, 2013
@igbo2011,

Too often I come across definitions of Afrocentricity which are inspired and characterised only by its adherent's opposition to the Other - cultural imperialism, xenophobia, Western ethnocentrism, and so on. Now aside from betraying its true essence, such views are counter-intuitive and also, invariably, at odds with the revolutionary ideal it represents.

To be sure I understand what you mean when you describe yourself as an Afrocentric, could you be so kind as to elaborate a bit more.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by igbo2011(m): 6:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
eGuerrilla: @igbo2011,

Too often I come across definitions of Afrocentricity which are inspired and characterised only by its adherent's opposition to the Other - cultural imperialism, xenophobia, Western ethnocentrism, and so on. Now aside from betraying its true essence, such views are counter-intuitive and also, invariably, at odds with the revolutionary ideal it represents.

To be sure I understand what you mean when you describe yourself as an Afrocentric, could you be so kind as to elaborate a bit more.

Every single thing I do in my life is for the benefit of the Pan Aferican ommnity. The reason I get up is to make ifference. I go to school to make a diferene. Every ay I think of ways to make a difference. I made a site www.africanedp.com to promote our economies. My facebok page is gaining popularity www.facebook.com/africanedp

I hink of life through an aforcentric point of view. I study history from an afrocentric perspective. I am a pan African nationalist. I only date black women. I spend my money in my comunity. I wear African lothes all the time I am still learning more African langauges. i want to master Igbo YOruba nad KiSwahili in the next couple of years. Iknow a lot about African cuntries, politics and economics. I know about the diaspora s well. am a social engineer to ome xtent I focus on economics but I also study other social sciencs on my pare time because they are intertwined.

i believe in Afrocentric schools. I believe that more peope should b afrocentric and self loving instea of self hating like mot Errocentric Africans are.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by pleep(m): 7:07am On Sep 13, 2013
igbo2011:

I am very afrocentric myself and I have to agree with you. but i put the blame on the west AND Afficans. The west plays their part in neocolonialism but we do ery bad things to orselves let me explan.

We have a deep inferiority complex and self hatred. We worhip Europeans and Arabs. It is funny how when they had the Royal Baby Africans were celebrating. It is funny how that baby;s ancestors brought hell to ours and we are celebrating. Woud we be clebrating if the Aashanti empire had a baby that was going to be 3rd in line? Probalbly not. We worship our enemies.

It is funny how I always see Nigerians and other Africans on the continent and the Diaspora always wear the Amrian flag and British flag. Thse coiuntries are enemies to us yet we still wear the flags. They have rought hell to us for 5 centrueis and are still here with neocolonialism and funding genocides and controlling politicians in Afrca yet we worship them. Arabs brought us hell too.

We name our children after our enemeies. We will make an excuse saying it is in the Koran or Bible. We go by these names instead of our African names.

Did you know after America dropped an A bomb on Japan, Japanese stopped buying American products? Europeans have been bringing hell to us for 500 ears an we ONLY buy European products. We have stockhom syndrome and self hatred. No matter how bad oreigners treat us we respect and love them.

A couple weeks ago Italians threw bananas at the first African politician of Italy. We respond buy importing millions of Italian suits. We have many tailors who cn make those or African designs but we just love our Italans who treat us very badly.

We will atually defend our oppressor and make an excuse I was speaking to Nigerians about th war in Libya 2 ears ago. I said how Britain and merica bleeped them up and caused a black gnocide. Instead of standing up for them they defended Britain.

Our mindset is SOOOOO messed up. With a mental revolution there will automatically be an economic one.
Great post.

If black people would think with one mind we could dominate this world..... but weak links can break a titanium chain.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by Naima00: 10:00am On Aug 07, 2014
pleep: ^ Why shocked cry
just saw your post because you didn't quote me. What makes me sad is that I see a lot truth in this thread however its something we can't change or do much about because much of it is due to history which again we can't change however we definitely need to recognise it in order to go forward. Our people need education and not just academic but also our history and how Africa became the way it is today and how we should carry ourselves from here on up.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by tpiadotcom: 5:02pm On Apr 13, 2015
PAPAAFRICA:
Pleep, reading your previous posts I notice you were an extreme afrocentrist now you on the exact opposite side. Just an observation.

he switches positions often.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by pleep(m): 6:26pm On Apr 13, 2015
tpiadotcom:

he switches positions often.

i don't ever switch position, i just view the world vastly different than most people.

its called objectivity. Both sides of a debate has some truth to it, stupid people accept all the positions of one side, while someone like me accepts the true aspects of both arguements
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by tpiadotcom: 1:38pm On Apr 15, 2015
pleep:

its called objectivity.

not really.
Re: Afrocentrism: The Modern Day Coon Festival. by barwaaqo: 12:21am On Apr 17, 2015
White liberals tend to have an objective outlook but it doesn't stop them from practicing racism undecided

(1) (Reply)

How Ancient Towns/cities Were Named / Is This Actor In This Hausa Movie Igbo? / Nigeria's diversity : An asset or a liability

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.