Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,978 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court (1383 Views)

Osinbajo And Malami In Turf War Over $1.3billion Malabu Scam - Premium Times / Nigeria To Withdraw OPL245 From Malabu And Dan Etete / $1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by masterdre: 3:25pm On Jun 14, 2013
In a desperate attempt to muddle-up facts, convicted felon, Dan Etete, has told a British High Court that he is not the owner of Malabu Oil and Gas and thus not the recipient of the $1.1 billion (N173 billion) fraudulently transferred to Malabu by the Goodluck Jonathan administration. The money was paid by oil giants, Shell and Eni, through the federal government, to Malabu.

Mr. Etete, a former minister of petroleum, told the court in a testimony he gave on a breach of contract suit brought against him over the sale of the controversial oil block OPL 245 that he only made N37.5 billion ($250 million) working as a consultant for Malabu, the Economist is reporting.

PREMIUM TIMES had reported how Mr. Etete is the sole signatory into the bank accounts that the federal government paid about $800 million (N126 billion) of the oil bloc sale into.

Read details here: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138741-i-only-got-n39-billion-from-fraudulent-malabu-deal-etete-tells-british-court.html
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by automaticcarzz: 3:34pm On Jun 14, 2013
Oh Lord of Mercy! I shake my head when I hear Nigerdeltans complain about their region being underdeveloped. They should turn their anger against people like Etete, Ibori, Alameiseigha, Jonathan, Odili, and co. People like Etete and co are the reasons your region is not yet developed.

1 Like

Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Biggoozz: 3:41pm On Jun 14, 2013
Such stories that make people wanna just die. One man calls whooping N37 billion "JUST"; made without sweats, while honest people sweat blood toiling. Oh God! angry

1 Like

Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Garrithe1st: 3:45pm On Jun 14, 2013
I only got N39 billion from fraudulent Malabu deal- Etete tells British court

Nicholas Ibekwe - 23 mins ago

National, News

Nigeria’s Attorney General played a prominent role in the deal.

In a desperate attempt to muddle-up facts, convicted felon, Dan Etete, has told a British High Court that he is not the owner of Malabu Oil and Gas and thus not the recipient of the $1.1 billion (N173 billion) fraudulently transferred to Malabu by the Goodluck Jonathan administration. The money was paid by oil giants, Shell and Eni, through the federal government, to Malabu.

Mr. Etete, a former minister of petroleum, told the court in a testimony he gave on a breach of contract suit brought against him over the sale of the controversial oil block OPL 245 that he only made N37.5 billion ($250 million) working as a consultant for Malabu, the Economist is reporting.

PREMIUM TIMES had reported how Mr. Etete is the sole signatory into the bank accounts that the federal government paid about $800 million (N126 billion) of the oil bloc sale into.

However, Mr. Etete, who was convicted for money laundering in France in 2007, immediately contradicted himself in the same testimony when he admitted to being the sole signatory to Malabu’s account and couldn’t provide any evidence of other shareholders.

“I put my blood, I put my life into this oil block,” he said yet he denied owning OPL245. When presented with a transcript of a recording where he said: “It’s my block” Mr. Etete denied it claiming the transcript was inaccurate.

Malabu’s Etete-appointed company secretary, Rasky Gbinigie, who claimed to be a “family friend” of Mr. Etete insisted that he had “lost the firm’s copy of the register of shareholders and all minutes of meetings, that there was no written correspondence between him, the directors and the shareholders, and that he had no documents to verify who put up the company’s original share capital.”

Mr. Etete also admitted in the court, what PREMIUM TIMES investigations had revealed, that the infamous Kweku Amafegha who was named as Malabu’s “nominee director” was an alias he uses constantly. According to him, he had open bank accounts in the past that he always used when he went out for secret missions internationally.

PREMIUM TIMES had exclusively reported how Mr. Etete, then Petroleum Minister in 1998, violated Nigerian laws by creating a fictional character, Mr. Amafegha, to be a shareholder in a newly formed company, Malabu. He then awarded two oil blocs, including the disputed OPL 245, to the company; which also had Mohammed Sani, son of then military dictator, Sani Abacha, as a shareholder.

Nondescript businessman, Zubelum Obi, owner of oil consulting firm, Energy Venture Partners Limited, EVP, who is claiming a N30 billion ($200 million) compensation for acting as middleman in the sales of oil block OPL 245, brought the breach of contract suit against Mr. Etete.

Adoke as Etete’s lawyer

Fresh fact also emerged during the trial as to why Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke, played a prominent and dubious role in the fraudulent transfer of N155 billion to Mr. Etete.

The documents show that Mr. Adoke once worked as counsel to Mr. Etete. Sources knowledgeable about both men said this was during and immediately after the military era, when the ex-convict was still minister. Mr. Adoke’s spokesperson, Ambrose Momoh, did not pick calls to his phone seeking to confirm the prior relationship between both men.

Mr. Adoke has been instrumental to the success of the illegal acquisition and sale of OPL 245 by Mr. Etete using his position as the nation’s chief law officer. Following advice by Russian oil consultant, Ednan Agaev, to use the Federal government as a conduit for the transfer to Mr. Etete, Mr. Adoke willing obliged to make the shady deal sail through.

International pressure

Due to the murky nature of the deal and less-than-ethical role played by international oil firms, ENI and Shell and following pressure from anti-corruption campaigners such as Global Witness, the European Union Parliament last Wednesday voted to make EU-based resources companies disclose all payments of at least €100,000 (N21.5 million) on any project. The Canadian government is also working on enacting laws similar to the EU’s

Campaigners say this new rule will reduce corruption as well as enhance transparency in the extractive industry.

“The new transparency rules in Europe and the announcement from the Canadian Prime Minister are two key advancements for anyone who cares about fighting poverty, protecting investors, making markets more efficient, or reducing corruption,” said Global Financial Integrity (GFI) Director Raymond Baker.

“Our research shows that the developing world loses roughly US$1 trillion per year to crime, corruption, and tax evasion. This is a systemic problem caused largely by the opaque, secretive global financial system. For citizens of resource-rich countries, the new EU rules—as well as the potential Canadian rules—will shine a light in places that need it most.”

The United States Department of Justice, DoJ, is also beginning to show increasing interest in the Malabu deal with at least one of the parties involved in the sale already contacted.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138741-i-only-got-n39-billion-from-fraudulent-malabu-deal-etete-tells-british-court.html
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by MARSHALLMVP: 3:48pm On Jun 14, 2013
people that boast of the amount they stole usually get a N750k bargain... coz they know far too well that the person stole N30 billion didn't pull that deal alone... and the rest are not to come down with him.. there has to be a way cry
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Garrithe1st: 3:48pm On Jun 14, 2013
Jonathan is truly fighting corruption!!

PDP!!!!........ Share d money!!

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by takedat(m): 3:50pm On Jun 14, 2013
cheesy
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 14, 2013

The infographic presented above provides the clearest indication of what to expect in relation to OMLs 26, 30, 34, and 42, once the current petroleum minister completes her tenure angry

Here is some more background information from the same article in The Economist.

DEALS for oilfields can be as opaque as the stuff that is pumped from them. But when partners fall out and go to court, light is sometimes shed on the bargaining process—and what it exposes is not always pretty. That is certainly true in the tangled case of OPL245, a massive Nigerian offshore block with as much as 9 billion barrels of oil—enough to keep all of Africa supplied for seven years.

The saga of block OPL245 began in 1998 when Nigeria’s then petroleum minister, Dan Etete, awarded it to Malabu, which had been established just days before and had no employees or assets. The price was a “signature bonus” of $20m (of which Malabu only ever paid $2m).

Where did the money go?

The attorney-general has rejected as “without basis” claims in the Nigerian press that much of the money the government paid to Malabu in the 2011 deal was “round-tripped” back to bank accounts controlled by public officials. But where that money did end up is shrouded in mystery. Of the $1.1 billion, $800m was paid in two tranches into Malabu accounts. This was then transferred to five Nigerian companies that appear to be shells. One of these, Rocky Top Resources, received $336.5m, some of which seems to have been passed on to unknown “various persons”, according to the EFCC’s report. Some $60m went to an account controlled by Mr Etete, who has said that he received $250m in total for his role in the deal. He said in court that “Malabu shareholders decided to spend their money the way they deemed fit” and that he is investing on their behalf.

Among the listed owners of three of the recipient companies is Abubakar Aliyu, who is reported to have close business ties to a senior politician, Diepreiye Alamiesegha, the former governor of Bayelsa state. Mr Alamiesegha’s skills in escapology would impress Houdini. Detained in Britain on money-laundering charges in 2005, he jumped bail. After returning to Nigeria, he was sentenced in 2007 to two years for each of six corruption-related charges, though he served only a few hours in prison. In March 2013 he received a controversial pardon from Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s president. Local press reports have made unsubstantiated allegations linking both the president and Mr Alamiesegha to the Malabu deal.

The EFCC’s report states: “Investigations conducted so far reveal a cloudy scene associated with fraudulent dealings. A prima facie case of conspiracy, breach of trust, theft anmd [sic] money laundering can be established against some real and artificial persons.” Officially, the EFCC’s investigation is still open, but a source familiar with it says that its sleuths have been discouraged by higher-ups from moving forward. However, other countries’ fraudbusters have taken an interest. At least one of the parties involved in the oil-block sale has been contacted by America’s Department of Justice.

As for the legal actions brought in London against Malabu by the middlemen, the High Court is expected to rule soon on Mr Obi’s claim for $200m. Mr Agaev’s separate arbitration case, in which he sought payment of a $65.5m “success fee”, was recently settled behind closed doors.

Shell and ENI now each own half of an attractive oil block. To get it, however, they have had to strike a deal that brings with it reputational and legal risks. They might conceivably face action under their home countries’ anti-corruption laws, if enforcers reject their claim to have dealt only with the Nigerian government, not Malabu. Shell “would obviously have preferred to secure OPL245 without going within a million miles of Malabu and Etete,” says someone who was involved in the negotiations.

Is there anyone still harbouring doubts that Nigeria's current attorney general has no interest is seeing this matter pursued to its logical conclusion?

1 Like

Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Maxymilliano(m): 4:20pm On Jun 14, 2013
masterdre:

Mr. Adoke has been instrumental to the success of the illegal acquisition and sale of OPL 245 by Mr. Etete using his position as the nation’s chief law officer. Following advice by Russian oil consultant, Ednan Agaev, to use the Federal government as a conduit for the transfer to Mr. Etete, Mr. Adoke willing obliged to make the shady deal sail through.

Read details here: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138741-i-only-got-n39-billion-from-fraudulent-malabu-deal-etete-tells-british-court.html

In his statement, Adoke explained that Malabu was allocated OPL 245 in April, 1998 and in accordance with the terms of the grant, it appointed Shell as its technical partner. The two companies, he explained, executed relevant agreements, including a Joint Operation Agreement in 2001.

Records, he said, indicated that Shell took 40 per cent participating interests in the venture in a farm-in- agreement and also signed an agreement with Malabu as its technical partner for the venture. He further stated that, although, Malabu was issued a licence for Block 245 in April 2001, the same licence was subsequently revoked by the Federal Government on July 2, 2001.

Malabu was dissatisfied with the revocation and petitioned the House of Representatives Committee on Petroleum to look into the matter. The House of Representatives Committee on Petroleum found no rational basis for the revocation directed the Government to withdraw the re-award of the block which it had, in the meantime, made to Shell.

Malabu also instituted a suit before a Federal High Court in Abuja which was subsequently struck out, but lodged an appeal at the Court of Appeal in Abuja. An amicable settlement was entered between Malabu and the Federal Government before the appeal was heard. In compliance with the settlement agreement executed on November 30, 2006, OPL 245 was to be fully and completely restored to Malabu in consideration for Malabu withdrawing its appeal.

Adoke explained that in 2010, when the current administration came to power, Malabu again petitioned the Federal Government to implement the terms of the out-of-court settlement of November 30, 2006 on the basis of which Malabu had discontinued its appeal. A new settlement was reached on April 29, 2011 between the Federal Government and Malabu Oil&Gas Limited under which Malabu agreed that in consideration of receiving compensation from the federal government, it would settle and waive any and all claims to any interest in OPL 245.

Adoke continued:“In furtherance of the Resolution Agreement, SNUD and ENI agreed to pay Malabu through the Federal Government acting as an obligor, the sum of US$ 1,092,040,000 billion in full and final settlement of any and all claims, interests or rights relating to or in connection with Block 245 and Malabu agreed to settle and waive any and all claims, interests or rights relating to or in connection with Block 245 and also consented to the re-allocation of Block 245 to Nigerian Agip Exploration Limited (NAE) and Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company Limited (SNEPCO).”

He insisted that the role played by the federal government was essentially that of facilitator of the settlement of the long standing dispute between Malabu and Shell over the ownership and right to operate Block 245.

http://www.nigeriaoilandgasintelligence.com/house-of-reps-to-probe-1bn-malabu-oil-deal
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by bloggernaija: 4:29pm On Jun 14, 2013
This thing has GEJ , Madueke , iweala and sanusi all written all over it
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 14, 2013
automaticcarzz: Oh Lord of Mercy! I shake my head when I hear Nigerdeltans complain about their region being underdeveloped. They should turn their anger against people like Etete, Ibori, Alameiseigha, Jonathan, Odili, and co. People like Etete and co are the reasons your region is not yet developed.

Why should we, when we can easily blame the Hausas and the Yorubas?

3 Likes

Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by kkkp: 4:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
National cake
grin grin grin grin
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by ujoinme: 5:29pm On Jun 14, 2013
kingoflag:

Why should we, when we can easily blame the Hausas and the Yorubas?
BECAUSE WHAT ETETE HAS STOLEN IS NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT SEVERAL PEOPLE FROM THOSE ETHINCITIES YOU MENTIONED HAVE STOLEN
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by gbanikiti(m): 6:47pm On Jun 14, 2013
ABSOLUTELY SPEECHLESS!
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 14, 2013
$1.1billion (N173 billion) fraudulently transferred to Malabu by the Goodluck Jonathan administration.

Gej, ngozi, dezeani, sanusi should come and tell us who owns the account o, since his government made the payment.

2 Likes

Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Garrithe1st: 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2013
Obiagelli:
Gej, ngozi, dezeani, sanusi should come and tell us who owns the account o, since his government made the payment.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Now we are seeing the F9!!!!
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 14, 2013
ujoinme:
BECAUSE WHAT ETETE HAS STOLEN IS NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT SEVERAL PEOPLE FROM THOSE ETHINCITIES YOU MENTIONED HAVE STOLEN

GTFOH!!!
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by AZeD1(m): 8:55pm On Jun 14, 2013
"Only got 39 billion"
Oh boy see money!!!
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by omenka(m): 9:30pm On Jun 14, 2013
Obiagelli:

You would wait until thy kingdom come to get answers to such questions.

Jonathan is corruption personified! He relishes wining and dining with the most sordid characters we have in this country. Never in our history as a nation have we had it so bad. They steal the money as though Nigeria is gonna cease to exist tommorow.

Who do you think is behind all that subsidy mega fraud?? Over 1.6trillion stolen yet no one's been jailed, rather they agressively fought to thrash all reports concerning the issue. Need I remind us that it even happened in an election year?

Then some mediocre lowlife scums would take to airwaves singing praises of the administration's unflaggin fight against corruption.

I weep for my dear country.

3 Likes

Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by takedat(m): 9:48pm On Jun 14, 2013
Obiagelli:
Ngozi was not in government when the money was paid, rather it was the minister of state(finance) and Adoke that authorized the payment! Not forgetting it was order from above!

2 Likes

Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 14, 2013
take dat: Ngozi was not in government when the money was paid, rather it was the minister of state(finance) and Adoke that authorized the payment! Not forgetting it was order from above!
I didn't call for her arrest? If she was not in government then, does it mean she can't tell us who they paid the money to, as she is the current minister and should have access to such info.

Btw what will one person do with 39 billion, even if you spend 1 million every day

1 million * 365 = 365 million a year
3 years × 365 million = 1.09 billion
. *. 39 billion – 39 × 3 = 117 years

It will take 117 years for someone to finish 39 billion if he spends 1 million naira every day

1 Like

Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by gbanikiti(m): 11:21pm On Jun 14, 2013
Obiagelli:
I didn't call for her arrest? If she was not in government then, does it mean she can't tell us who they paid the money to, as she is the current minister and should have access to such info.

Btw what will one person do with 39 billion, even if you spend 1 million every day

It will take 117 years for someone to finish 39 billion if he spends 1 million naira every day
hmmmm.... na wah!
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by idupaul: 12:03am On Jun 15, 2013
In the face of such corruption I shall take solace from the below bible verses it is well brethrens of Nigeria:

"Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but
against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of
the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in
high places.
Eph 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God,
that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having
done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with
truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the
gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye
shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword
of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in
the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and
supplication for all saints;"
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by takedat(m): 12:41am On Jun 15, 2013
Obiagelli:

Premium Times reported in details on when the money was paid, into whose account, transfers made thereafter and names of individuals involved, so its an open secret. The man only admitted to his own share which is N39billion, the remaining is in the pockets of top government officials who supervised the transaction!
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Nobody: 1:43am On Jun 15, 2013
Now we know where the subsidy money went...
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by otokx(m): 7:32am On Jun 15, 2013
See money
Re: I Only Got N39 Billion From Fraudulent Malabu Deal- Etete Tells British Court by Amanwulu1(m): 8:08am On Jun 15, 2013
Btw what will one person do with 39 billion, even if you spend 1 million.

are u sure u are a nigerian living in nigeria?

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The Current Best Governor In Nigeria? / N18.5bn Debt: AMCON To Take Over TINAPA / Ebola;law Makers Refuse To Shake Minister Of Health In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.