Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,373 members, 7,815,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. (5168 Views)

Desmond Tutu Says That He Would Rather Go To Hell Than Be With A Homophobic God / Kenya, Nigeria Top Global Gay Unclothedness Search Despite Homophobic Attitudes / Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:02pm On Jun 14, 2013
According to a new research, less than 1% of Nigerians said that homosexuals should be accepted, making them the most gay-hating country in the world.

There is broad acceptance of homosexuality in North America, the European Union, and much of Latin America. However, rejection of homosexuality is equally widespread in predominantly Muslim nations and in sub-Saharan Africa, as well as in parts of Asia and in Russia.

Views of homosexuality are particularly positive in Spain (88% say it should be accepted by society), Germany (87%), Czech Republic (80%), Canada (80%), Australia (79%), France (77%), Britain (76%), Argentina (74%), Italy (74%) and Philippines (73%).

Conversely, fewer than one-in-ten in Nigeria (1%), Tunisia (2%), Ghana (3%), Senegal (3%), Egypt (3%), Jordan (3%), Indonesia (3%), Uganda (4%), Palestinian territories (4%) and Kenya (8%) say homosexuality should be accepted by society.
http://www.pewglobal.org/2013/06/04/global-acceptance-of-homosexuality/

1 Like

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jun 14, 2013
mostly poor countries.. Anyway shaa me sef na homophobic

1 Like

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2013
Im guessing the researchers never heard of that little Island Country called Jamaica

1 Like

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jun 14, 2013
Good!!!
I hate Gays.

With all the heavy Manchesters and Bakkasis around.......

2 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2013
kingoflag: Im guessing the researchers never heard of that little Island Country called Jamaica
wat abt them.. Are the homophobic too?
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by snowblack: 9:37pm On Jun 14, 2013
kingoflag: Im guessing the researchers never heard of that little Island Country called Jamaica

Have to agree, Jamaicans are noticeably homophobic! A lot of dancehall artists record anti gay songs which is uncommon amongst Nigerians.

[url]gistinz.com[/url]
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jun 14, 2013
If a nigga shakes his asss here, we'll break his leg

2 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by homesteady(m): 11:55pm On Jun 14, 2013
The day they will legalise gay marriage in Nigeria, I'll vomit to death!! I can't imagine seeing kondoms stained with crap!! Urrrrgg!!!

2 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Zet72(m): 12:13am On Jun 15, 2013
tongue Oluwa OSeun,...Finally we done carry first for good thing.......dancing kukere with my neighbour
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Horus(m): 12:14am On Jun 15, 2013

Jamaica is the worst homophobic place on earth with the world's highest murder rate against gays and lesbians.
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by HezronLorraine(m): 2:38am On Jun 15, 2013
jamaicans ain't as homophobic compared to nigeria's status.there are many open LGBT jamaicans,I can only say a few about nigeria and the few are either in a self-imposed exile or in political assylum.u have the likes of bisi alimi,a gay icon to many including me as he has an inspiring story,he went through hell,where his he today,assylum,rowland macauley,the gay reverend,assylum,open gay rights activist ifeanyi kelly orazuilike,exile.the list goes on,what william rashidi.don't know if he's still here or as followed suit.
Nigeria is homophobic.I remember watching the senate hearing on the anti-gay bill.I cried at how our legislators heckled the hell out of the 5 brave gay nigerians who had the balls to stand up.u can see clearly the expression on most people in that hall was like put abullet in their heads.
But I believe there's a change in public opinion on gays,cause most people have started seeing LGBT's as who they have been and not what they are.

2 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by doofanc: 3:29am On Jun 15, 2013
This is one statistic that i'm very proud of. Up Nigeria! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by EkoIle1: 4:01am On Jun 15, 2013
Nigeria winning award for shameful, disgusting, prejudicial, ignorant, homophobic barbaric and backward ways is really a reflection of the worthless clowns ruling the country with nothing better to do or any meaningful idea to the lives of Nigerians. Of what concern is the lifestyle of one man to the next or to the day to day worries these jackassess can not and wont fix?

After collecting trillions in paychecks since 1999, these useless clowns are yet to pass a single law designed to better the life of any average Nigerian, but they not only unanimously passed a barbaric bill to condemn their own citizens in record time and send them to jail, but also busy bothering us with what really should not be our business.

3 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 7:26am On Jun 15, 2013
Eko Ile: Nigeria winning award for shameful, disgusting, prejudicial, ignorant, homophobic barbaric and backward ways is really a reflection of the worthless clowns ruling the country with nothing better to do or any meaningful idea to the lives of Nigerians. Of what concern is the lifestyle of one man to the next or to the day to day worries these jackassess can not and wont fix?

After collecting trillions in paychecks since 1999, these useless clowns are yet to pass a single law designed to better the life of any average Nigerian, but they not only unanimously passed a barbaric bill to condemn their own citizens in record time and send them to jail, but also busy bothering us with what really should not be our business.

Ultra gay sad

8 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 8:21am On Jun 15, 2013
sheyie2007:
Ultra gay sad
ah swear

4 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by dinachi(m): 8:26am On Jun 15, 2013
Eko Ile: Nigeria winning award for shameful, disgusting, prejudicial, ignorant, homophobic barbaric and backward ways is really a reflection of the worthless clowns ruling the country with nothing better to do or any meaningful idea to the lives of Nigerians. Of what concern is the lifestyle of one man to the next or to the day to day worries these jackassess can not and wont fix?

Is America's greatness tied to gay tolerance? Show me the proof! If you cant then shut your gay trap forever! Are you aware that chinese economy will soon overtake American economy? Are you aware that China is gradualy taking over global leadership from America? Is it gay tolerance that made it possible? Is China a gay tolerable country? Some of you gays should know that we are tired of all these your over used American reasons why we should support gays! You accuse our lawmakers of squandering our resources, will supporting gays make them stop? Please get a life!

10 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by homesteady(m): 10:22am On Jun 15, 2013
dinachi: Is America's greatness tied to gay tolerance? Show me the proof! If you cant then shut your gay trap forever! Are you aware that chinese economy will soon overtake American economy? Are you aware that China is gradualy taking over global leadership from America? Is it gay tolerance that made it possible? Is China a gay tolerable country? Some of you gays should know that we are tired of all these your over used American reasons why we should support gays! You accuse our lawmakers of squandering our resources, will supporting gays make them stop? Please get a life!

WORD of LIFE!!

2 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by eherbal(m): 9:13pm On Jun 23, 2013
let's put this to rest, once and for all. What is God's take on gay?Really, this surely are the end times. Other people's opinion, apart from the Almighty is irrelevant. QEDgrin
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by xxyz17(m): 9:37pm On Jun 23, 2013
I'm comfortable with this statistics. Homosexuality is a glitch in natural sexuality. They need help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last grenade grin
More gays translates to more available chikalas cool
Not so bad after all tongue

1 Like

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by londoner: 9:47pm On Jun 23, 2013
That is not true....even though many people in Nigeria and wider Africa do not accept homosexuality. Nobody will be harmed for being gay or lesbian. The worst they will do is pray for you.

The worst country in Africa for homophobia is Uganda. People are killed and physically attacked there for being homosexual, not to mention raping of women because they are lesbian. The average person there, including school aged kids believes that homosexuals should be killed.

This report is a flat out lie.
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by londoner: 9:52pm On Jun 23, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: jamaicans ain't as homophobic compared to nigeria's status.there are many open LGBT jamaicans,I can only say a few about nigeria and the few are either in a self-imposed exile or in political assylum.u have the likes of bisi alimi,a gay icon to many including me as he has an inspiring story,he went through hell,where his he today,assylum,rowland macauley,the gay reverend,assylum,open gay rights activist ifeanyi kelly orazuilike,exile.the list goes on,what william rashidi.don't know if he's still here or as followed suit.
Nigeria is homophobic.I remember watching the senate hearing on the anti-gay bill.I cried at how our legislators heckled the hell out of the 5 brave gay nigerians who had the balls to stand up.u can see clearly the expression on most people in that hall was like put abullet in their heads.
But I believe there's a change in public opinion on gays,cause most people have started seeing LGBT's as who they have been and not what they are.

Sorry, Jamaicans are (generally) way more openly homophobic than Nigerians.

Look at the songs.....there are many songs that are anti gay. Dont you remember the Buju Banton song "boom bye bye"? About killing gay men? What about the slangs, batty boy and chichi boy.....all derogatory terms for gay people.

There are people who have been granted asylum in the UK from Jamaica because of the abuse they have received in Jamaica for being openly gay.

We are not talking heckling, we are talking physical violence.
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by babadem2much(m): 10:05pm On Jun 23, 2013
Gay? thunder fire dem all cuz dem no use gayism take born infact fire burn dem

1 Like

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by stjudas(m): 10:30pm On Jun 23, 2013
Gays should be crucified upside down. Doesn't it irritate you pushing your rod into your fellow man's anus?

3 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 24, 2013
stjudas: Gays should be crucified upside down. Doesn't it irritate you pushing your rod into your fellow man's anus?

Dem plenty for naija sef..They need Jesus!
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by HezronLorraine(m): 8:04am On Jun 24, 2013
Julieccentric:

Dem plenty for naija sef..They need Jesus!
who told you some of us don't have Jesus.
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 8:17am On Jun 24, 2013
xxyz17:
More gays translates to more available chikalas cool
Nah,Nah ;;;;; U would start competing Chikalas with other Chikalas and Guys grin

Shebi last time,Na one hansome dude snatch ur GF away :::::: Dis time Na One Correct Chick go snatch ur chick from U !!! grin Hewwwww

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
@Eko Ile; Lets commend our Government if they make a smart move towards preserving our culture,Value and norms while we can also condemned them to hell for all other mismanagement !!!
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 24, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: jamaicans ain't as homophobic compared to nigeria's status.there are many open LGBT jamaicans,I can only say a few about nigeria and the few are either in a self-imposed exile or in political assylum.

Lmao

Stand on the busiest street in Lagos and yell "I AM GAY! I LOVE STICKING IT IN NI*GGAS BO*OTIE HOLE!!!"

Now, take a plane to Kingston, Jamaica and yell the same thing.

Notice I didnt ask you to first go to Jamaica to try out this same stunt. Why? Cus, chances that you'll live to leave Kingston and try out this same experiment in Lagos is slim to none.

Jamaicans are homophobic as hell.

1 Like

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by AbuMikey(m): 9:25am On Jun 24, 2013

Marijuana in action!

2 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by AbuMikey(m): 9:30am On Jun 24, 2013
Hezron Lorraine: who told you some of us don't have Jesus.
Your Life is in TROUBLE!!!
Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by 50calibre(m): 11:00am On Jun 24, 2013
Homophobia is justifiable and should even be encouraged, Homosexuality is cancerous to any society. Nigeria has a lot on its plate already, and can do without having to deal with such moral aberration.

2 Likes

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by HezronLorraine(m): 12:26pm On Jun 24, 2013
Abu Mikey: Your Life is in TROUBLE!!!
guy don't start with me.
I seem to respect u.be careful.
Your assumptions are gays are immoral and God detest homosexuality and automatically turns his back on them.
There's different aspect to religion and homosexuality.
I'm not going to lecture you on whether the bible condemns it,accept it or is indifferent.that's up for u to research.
What makes a bible holy is not the holy written in it or the words in it.its an ordinary book.its ur faith in it that makes it holy and a source of reference for solutions to ur problems.
Only God's grace and mercy is what we all have.
On my own part.my faith is still intact.I haven't allowed my sexuality dictate to me on religion.
Till date there's no prayer request I ask God for in prayers that aren't answered.
I still do simple things like short prayer b4 any meal,pray b4 bed,fast every wednesday,every first week,3 days of fasting and prayer.its just what I believe that God Is there for me and would readily hear my cries and pains anytime.I owe him everything for saving me from suicide twice.
What causes homosexuality I got no idea?
Many say its a demon,its devilish.all sorts.
If its a demon,till date no pastor of any of the mega spiritual churches have captures it even upon my desperation for a change.I've done some deliverance,do I name churches,mfm,deeper life,my chuurch living faith,rccg,and some petty pentecostal churches.

Everything I typed may seem as trash to you.yes,that's okay.just try not to think you know the dynamics behind homosexuality or have a lasting cure to it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pew Research: Nigeria Is The Most Homophobic Country In The World. by HezronLorraine(m): 12:42pm On Jun 24, 2013
kingoflag:

Lmao

Stand on the busiest street in Lagos and yell "I AM GAY! I LOVE STICKING IT IN NI*GGAS BO*OTIE HOLE!!!"

Now, take a plane to Kingston, Jamaica and yell the same thing.

Notice I didnt ask you to first go to Jamaica to try out this same stunt. Why? Cus, chances that you'll live to leave Kingston and try out this same experiment in Lagos is slim to none.

Jamaicans are homophobic as hell.
you know its not a matter of being gay or straight for the nigerian society.the nigerian society are just too morally upright in hypocrisy.
I really don't give a f.uuuck how anyone perceives me,u know I'm gay,cool,u don't cool.at least I've learnt my lesson to reconsider before telling anyone about my sexual orientation.
Being gay is not a pricetag that u collect an award for or money.publication of ur homosexuality what do u stand to gain.
Imagine a supposedly straight like you announcing in Yaba,"I'm Straight,I love girls".don't u think the same type of mobs won't gather around u to shut ur mouth.why the announcement.I feel no urge and wouldn't feel the urge to announce in the public my sexuality.what does it changed,nothing.it only makes you a fool cause u don't become a catalyst of change through lousy announcement.

Mind u I wasn't emphasising on physical violence on gay people.I only took the social and discriminatory aspect.sure on attacks and violence on LGBT's jamaican's take an upper hand.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Withdraw From Presidential Race Now! Sheikh Gumi Warns Buhari / Amechi Is A Lucifer,psychiatric Patient-wike Reacts To APC Meeting With Ag VP. / Finally The Rat In President Buhari Office Is Dead. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.