Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,712 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship (5335 Views)

Nigeria Vs Mali. African U23 Championship (3 - 2) On 29th November 2015 / These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) / Nigerian Youth, Sodiq Adeojo Sentenced To 30 Years In Prison In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by jaymdee(m): 9:52pm On Jun 16, 2013
It was shouts of ecstasy as Sodiq Godwin Ajibade of Oyo State powered through a sprint finish to emerge as winner of the 2013 Cyclefest Championship at the National Stadium, Surulere on Sunday. Caleb Kalizibe (Bayelsa) and Goodnews Cifford (Rivers) emerged 1st and 2nd runners-up respectively. In the Women Professional category, all podium positions were won by the Rivers state trio of Gloria Odiase, Rita Aggo and Rosemary Marcus.

In chat with the media shortly after the race, a visibly excited Ajibade disclosed that ,” I am very happy with the organisers – Cycle Shop and GSK- for providing this opportunity to compete. I look forward to more of such with more government involvement so that Nigeria can continue to grow the sport and become a reckonable global force in cycling. I thank God for my previous experience in Algiers, Mozambique and at the Garden City Games.”

The cycling athletes rigorously cycled a total of 270 kilometre stretch of road, with rainfall part of the way on the Lagos terrain, starting from the National Stadium and routing  Eko Bridge - Marina - Bonny Camp - Ahmadu Bello - BarBeach - 1004 - Falomo - Bourdilon - Foreshore - 3MB - Oworoshoki - Ojota - Otedola gardens - Alausa - Awolowo Way - Allen.Opebi - Sheraton - Bank Anthony - Airport - AgegeMotorWay - Oshodi - Anthony - MaryLand - Ikorodu Road - Western Avenue and back to the Stadium.

Responding to journalists, Inyang Effiong, Lead Principal, Cycle Shop Limited, organizer of the event stated that, “The level of the organisation shows that Nigeria can host cycling competition.” Addind that, “Our intention as organisers is to make cycling attractive to people of all age and profession, both as a means of livelihood as well as a recreational endeavour.”  Other sponsors  such as GSK - Lucozade Sport (Official Sports Drink), Equity Assurance PLC, Books on the Loose – BOTL, Canig Solutions (Events Support & Media), SSC - SijiSoetan & Co (Events Legal Services), CRI (Event Emergency Management) and Benola (Official Charity Organisation) were fully on ground.

This is the maiden Cyclefest National Cycling Championship. A total of 250 cyclists from 16 state cycling teams and four recreational cycling clubs participated. It was sanctioned by the  Nigerian Cycling Federation and the Lagos State Cycling Association.

4 Likes

Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by Nobody: 1:48am On Jun 17, 2013
Sweetie, I'm very proud of you kiss kiss

We're doing big things kiss
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by virusdacramil(m): 2:12am On Jun 17, 2013
Congrats To Him
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by jaymdee(m): 2:48am On Jun 17, 2013
grin coolies! It was thrilling to see live!

1 Like

Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by dominique(f): 3:15am On Jun 17, 2013
Whoa! 270 kms!!! shocked. I'm sure they must have hit some potholes along the way lipsrsealed. Kudos to the organisers. Cycling is one of the sports I wish we can develop in Nigeria.
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by Brimmie(m): 5:54am On Jun 17, 2013
Allahu Akbar!!

Is this the same Sodiq we went to Creche together!

Fresh Hair Till 2019!!

[size=30]We Give Up!![/size]
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by PENMIGHT(m): 6:22am On Jun 17, 2013
Nigeria shouldn't be wanting of good competitive cyclist. Growing up, I remember a host of guys in many Secondary school who will abscond from school but instead devout their time to cycling behind d school fence.

Many raw talents in Nigeria waiting to be discovered.

Nigeria's got talent.
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by hydeekam: 6:49am On Jun 17, 2013
Good development.
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by AbuMikey(m): 6:50am On Jun 17, 2013
Congrats to him oo...........Make dem Organise CRICKET FEST make I still participate na.!!
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by Ayoobscom(m): 6:56am On Jun 17, 2013
Congrats @sodiq

Reminds me of my bicycle I never knew car would be more treasurable..

But hey this is one fantastic sports Nigeria should explore n invest
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by Occurstaem(m): 7:23am On Jun 17, 2013
A welcome development.
Congratulation to the WINNER.
I pray for the continuity of this sport.
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by Nobody: 7:26am On Jun 17, 2013
Ahh Slow Day
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by dridowu: 8:03am On Jun 17, 2013
Congrat bro
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by nakwe(m): 8:14am On Jun 17, 2013
grin[color=#770077][/color] well done Bro
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by sholay2011(m): 8:15am On Jun 17, 2013
270 km!! shocked This one no be beans oh. Congrats to Sodiq, the runner-ups and dose River State ladies.

Other sports should be encouraged too in naija...not all of us are football freaks.

#Team LawnTennis# cool
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by kayoday(m): 8:37am On Jun 17, 2013
The cycling athletes rigorously cycled a total of 270 kilometre stretch of road, with rainfall part of the way on the Lagos terrain, starting from the National Stadium and routing Eko Bridge - Marina - Bonny Camp - Ahmadu Bello - BarBeach - 1004 - Falomo - Bourdilon - Foreshore - 3MB - Oworoshoki - Ojota - Otedola gardens - Alausa - Awolowo Way - Allen.Opebi - Sheraton - Bank Anthony - Airport - AgegeMotorWay - Oshodi - Anthony - MaryLand - Ikorodu Road - Western Avenue and back to the Stadium.

Is this distance up to 270 km ?
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by Chasitty001: 9:26am On Jun 17, 2013
I witnessed an accident with one of those guys yesterday. It happened around National Stadium. With the look of things, he may not survive it. A lot of them had to stop right there.

Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by bornosheikh: 9:32am On Jun 17, 2013
270 km my foot na. That would take them 10 hours to do the course at an average of 27 km/h.
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by ireke(m): 9:33am On Jun 17, 2013
kayoday:
The cycling athletes rigorously cycled a total of 270 kilometre stretch of road, with rainfall part of the way on the Lagos terrain, starting from the National Stadium and routing Eko Bridge - Marina - Bonny Camp - Ahmadu Bello - BarBeach - 1004 - Falomo - Bourdilon - Foreshore - 3MB - Oworoshoki - Ojota - Otedola gardens - Alausa - Awolowo Way - Allen.Opebi - Sheraton - Bank Anthony - Airport - AgegeMotorWay - Oshodi - Anthony - MaryLand - Ikorodu Road - Western Avenue and back to the Stadium.

I wonder too o. I think that is more like 27km.
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by shiftmarket(m): 9:34am On Jun 17, 2013
Chasitty001: I witnessed an accident with one of those guys yesterday. It happened around National Stadium. With the look of things, he may not survive it. A lot of them had to stop right there.

You are right, there was an accident around the stadium just before the finishing line. However, the organizers had paramedics following the cyclist so all those who had crashes were quickly attended to and there was no casualty. A few of them sustained injuries though. Crashes are a part of the game.

1 Like

Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by shiftmarket(m): 9:34am On Jun 17, 2013
ireke:

I wonder too o. I think that is more like 27km.

The OP exaggerated, the total distance was about 100km.
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by Rednose: 10:16am On Jun 17, 2013
Congrats to the organizers, winners and all participants. Cycling is a wonderful sport. I hope that following this event and more to come, there will be cycle-friendly roads in more parts of Lagos.
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by emiye(m): 10:53am On Jun 17, 2013
kayoday:

It is not up to 270 km.

Edited
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by thrugemaster(m): 11:05am On Jun 17, 2013
kayoday:

That aint possible because i know Lagos to benin city is about 300 km...........
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by siddiq202(m): 11:17am On Jun 17, 2013
I witnessed the commencement of the race. I took some pics with my 'nokia torch' of the cyclists just before the race. grin

Congrats to the winner, my name sake wink

We no dey carry last. I'm also good on the track cheesy
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by Shagati(m): 11:52am On Jun 17, 2013
kayoday:

No it is not up to 270km.
The route outlined above was for the men's professional race = 95km
Women's professional was a different route = 40km
Men's Amateur = 60km
Men's recreational = 45km (I rode in and completed this category cool )
Women's recreational = 30km

Total = 270km (approximate)

2 Likes

Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by Oliyass(m): 11:56am On Jun 17, 2013
bornosheikh: 270 km my foot na. That would take them 10 hours to do the course at an average of 27 km/h.

Total distance was 100km for the pro-Men, Pro-men do an ave of 45-50km/h, race was completed in around 2hrs.
Re: Sodiq Ajibade Wins Maiden Cycle Fest Championship by siddiq202(m): 11:58am On Jun 17, 2013
Shagati:

No it is not up to 270km.
The route outlined above was for the men's professional race = 95km
Women's professional was a different route = 40km
Men's Amateur = 60km
Men's recreational = 45km (I rode in and completed this category cool )
Women's recreational = 30km

Total = 270km (approximate)

*clears throat* Bros, wetin you carry? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ighalo Yet To Take Decision On Super Eagles Return / FIFA, UEFA Rules Blocking Super League Ruled Unlawful By Court / Daily Tips Of 5 Odds Available Here Whatsapp Group Link

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.