Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? (738 Views)

PDP Asks Buhari To Clarify Role In Massacre Of 300 Igbo Soldiers, Civilians / Correct Map Of Delta State:the Official Map Of Western Region And Eastern Region / How State Governors Planned A ‘massacre’ Of Sng Protesters In Abuja Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by Nobody: 11:15am On Jun 17, 2013
Just wondering if there was a massacre of Ndigbos in the Western Region during the civil war. My mother talked about how people who can't pronounce "toro"-a Yoruba word for coins- properly were being killed. I learnt, the pronunciation of the word was employed so as to differentiate between the Yorubas and the Igbos, because it was believed no Igbo person could pronounce it properly. This makes me wonder if there was a massacre of people of Igbo stock in the western region during the civil war which are not on record.
It couldn't have been somewhere else,because "toro" is a Yoruba expression.
I would have asked my Mother about it, but it's a bit too late because she's "no more around", so your opinions are welcome.
Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by fineworker(m): 11:23am On Jun 17, 2013
sorry your mother told you a lot of lies and this one of them. So there were no hausas in yoruba land during the civil war or hausas can pronounce toro well better than the igbos?

1 Like

Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by ajasbaba(m): 11:53am On Jun 17, 2013
hahahahaahahahahahahahahaahaahhaah i laugh in chiness
Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 17, 2013
fineworker: sorry your mother told you a lot of lies and this one of them. So there were no hausas in yoruba land during the civil war or hausas can pronounce toro well better than the igbos?
Why are you so daft that you don't know the hausas may not be able to pronounce it well, but the pronunciation will be distinct from that of the igbos? Anyone should be able to differentiate between hausa and igbo voice by hearing them pronunce that word alone.
It's not a must to comment if you don't know what to contribute. I didn't create this thread for you to insult my mother, so respect yourself.
Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by seunfly: 12:55pm On Jun 17, 2013
Well that is one of those lies told by many igbos out of hatred toward Yorubas as a direct beneficiaries of igbo misfortune in Nigeria.
Unfortunatly more of those lies are still been said today and we believe them due to sentiments.
Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by slimming: 1:02pm On Jun 17, 2013
is this an opinion poll.
Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jun 17, 2013
I'm Yoruba, not Igbo.
Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 17, 2013
@OP
There was; especially at Lagos.
Denying it is like denying that Nzeogwu (from Delta State) never carried out a coup in the first place.
Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by Sealeddeal(m): 6:01pm On Jun 17, 2013
Yes! Igbos were massacred in Lagos by both Yorubas and Northern military forces but not as it was in North.
Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2013
enigma_otr: I'm Yoruba, not Igbo.
If you are truly a Yoruba ;to ba she wipe omo oko ni o,Go to the next bookshop,pick a book on Biafra and started reading or better still Go to Google !!!

U just wanna insult u and ur mama here(let the woman sleep na ) !!!

Ma she ya Omo-osan ti n ko ponpo ba Iya e !!!
Re: Was There A Massacre Of Igbo People In The Western Region During The Civil War? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 17, 2013
I think I heard something like that too, but it was like the northerners in the north used it to differeciate between the SW and the Igbos!
I never actually heard of any large scale murder of easterners in the west. What happened in Lagos may be another issue entirely.
But I also heard that there was a govt jingle on the radio that time encouraging people not to hide enemies( easterners) among them, despite that many easterners survived the war in the west!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Why Serve Buhari? / Juju Campaign!!!! Hon.fola Olaseinde Don Turn Him Duplex To Shrine Unto 2015 / A Critical Response To President Jonathan’s Speech In Cameroon On Bakassi Disput

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.