Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate (9539 Views)

Between Master's Degree And Professional Course / What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? / Best Professional Course For Agric Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by teejanjan: 8:45pm On Jun 18, 2013
Pls I need your advice,I 'll be going for Nysc soon I 'll like to know which professional course to take,thanks
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by tanimola22: 1:59pm On Jun 19, 2013
None for strictly Mathematicians. However, with a ‘strong’ foundation in Mathematics, you can move into Actuarial Science and test your Math might there. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualty_Actuarial_Society and http://www.casact.org/.

There are other professional exams that your background will enable you write without much problems. FRM too isn’t bad. http://www.garp.org/frm/frm-program.aspx

T22
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by teejanjan: 5:16am On Jun 20, 2013
@tanimola22,thanks so much .I have OND in statistics and Bsc in mathematics I a think Actuarial Science is ok for me but because I had that Actuarial Scientists are not that relevant in nigeria and I to to have my Msc in Mathematical finance and I thinking of applying for acca during my service ,please what do u think sir ?

1 Like

Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by tanimola22: 12:21pm On Jun 20, 2013
ACCA and financial mathematics don’t mix, in my view. One is for back office people in the world of finance, the other is for the very front office people, or middle office people at the least. If you want to go the ACCA way, forget financial mathematics and instead face MSc management, finance.

Financial mathematics is to Nigeria what actuarial science is to Nigeria. Right now, I can’t think of any firm where they do quant job (core jobs of financial mathematicians) in Lagos. But I know three actuarial firms in Nigeria, albeit pay at entry level is crappy. ACCA remains good. Do put in for it.

Would you like to hint a little about your math background and grades? A fellow newbie mathematics graduate like you, user name lamda lamda, just landed two fully funded scholarships in Europe and South Africa. He was assisted by a nairalander whose username is admitwithschola.

T22
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by funkystanl(m): 1:19pm On Jun 20, 2013
I'm loving this. Truth is at this stage of my life I'm sorta confused on the next move. I graduated with HND in Statistics (Distinction) and currently serving (Batch A) but dunno what next to delve into before and after service with respect to self development. I've been thinking of ICAN, ACCA or RSS (Royal Statistical Society). I'm confused as to which one to go into to get d best pay-off. I know they all av gud pay-offs. Also bearing in mind of cost of doing these things cos am sponsoring myself.

Love this thread. Looks cool and direct!
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by lambalamb(m): 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2013
tanimola22: ACCA and financial mathematics don’t mix, in my view. One is for back office people in the world of finance, the other is for the very front office people, or middle office people at the least. If you want to go the ACCA way, forget financial mathematics and instead face MSc management, finance.

Financial mathematics is to Nigeria what actuarial science is to Nigeria. Right now, I can’t think of any firm where they do quant job (core jobs of financial mathematicians) in Lagos. But I know three actuarial firms in Nigeria, albeit pay at entry level is crappy. ACCA remains good. Do put in for it.

Would you like to hint a little about your math background and grades? A fellow newbie mathematics graduate like you, user name lamda lamda, just landed two fully funded scholarships in Europe and South Africa. He was assisted by a nairalander whose username is admitwithschola.

T22

Hi sir, long time ooooooooooh! I sent you an email sometime ago did you get it?

In Spanish, I said GRACIAS with all my heart!!!

1 Like

Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by teejanjan: 8:21pm On Jun 20, 2013
@tanimola22 I really appreciate your advice,yeah am putting more efforts to make sure I register for Acca as soon as possible.
I studied pure mathematics with a lower credit (3.35) and upper credit in statistics(OND),though I not really happy about my grade in maths but I know I have what it takes to make grade if the Msc tin comes my way ,what do you think I can do because I want to have my Msc abroad?thanks so much sir
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by opendo21(m): 4:44pm On Jun 21, 2013
Well as a mathematician, I would recommend the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (U.K) which is much more recognised here in Nigeria, I am a student myself, but still waiting for the results of my first exam. Although it's a long and hard route (yeah 15 tough exams) but it is also very rewarding. You need to pass at least one or two to get an entry level position in a reinsurance/insurance company or in any of the 2 actuarial consulting firms. Nigeria currently has less than 7 fully qualified actuaries.3 of whom are above 50 + 1 or 2 foreigners. And with the boost in pension funds administrators,there is a big boost for actuaries here in Nigeria
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by teejanjan: 6:44pm On Jun 21, 2013
Thank you so much for dis too opendo..really appreciate it
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by Alanbb: 7:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
Hi,i think a career as actuary is a very good option...fully qualified actuaries are very few so they are very valuable...i'm writing SOA exams now,i've passed 2 and i'm preparing for the 3rd one in november.it's been very stressful(combined with my bank work) but the end surely justifies the means...ur mathematics background will also be a great help...maybe u should give it a trial...all d best...
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by opendo21(m): 9:11am On Aug 24, 2013
Alanbb: Hi,i think a career as actuary is a very good option...fully qualified actuaries are very few so they are very valuable...i'm writing SOA exams now,i've passed 2 and i'm preparing for the 3rd one in november.it's been very stressful(combined with my bank work) but the end surely justifies the means...ur mathematics background will also be a great help...maybe u should give it a trial...all d best...
. Wow! Did you attend the recent meet of the Nigerian Actuarial Society? Please send me a mail at opeakangbe@gmail.com We really need to network and share ideas. Although I'm with the Institute of Actuaries, I'm also taking 2 exams in the Sept/Oct session. Would be a privilege to meet u. I await your call.
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by Alanbb: 1:16pm On Aug 24, 2013
opendo21: . Wow! Did you attend the recent meet of the Nigerian Actuarial Society? Please send me a mail at opeakangbe@gmail.com We really need to network and share ideas. Although I'm with the Institute of Actuaries, I'm also taking 2 exams in the Sept/Oct session. Would be a privilege to meet u. I await your call.

I didnt know about the Nigerian Actuarial Society meet,i doubt if i would have been able to attend though...i'll send my number via email so we can discuss better...Cheers...
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by ShehuAba(m): 6:34am On Aug 26, 2013
@Alanbb and Opendo pls kindly help us with right infos about Actuary.
How do you get started?
How's the Exams?
When and how is't taken?
The cost?
Is't meant only for graduates?
Other general infos will really be appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by Alanbb: 11:23pm On Aug 26, 2013
ShehuAba: @Alanbb and Opendo pls kindly help us with right infos about Actuary.
How do you get started?
How's the Exams?
When and how is't taken?
The cost?
Thanks

Info about becoming an actuary is quite much...a very good mathematical background is needed(preferably as a graduate),not a must tho...the 2 predominant actuarial societies in nigeria are Institute of Actuaries(IOA,UK) and Society of Actuaries/Casualty Actuaries Society(CAS)...SOA n CAS conduct joint prelim exams...i might not be tell u much here...google them,u'll get all d needed info on theire websites...Cheers!!!
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by opendo21(m): 7:20am On Aug 27, 2013
ShehuAba: @Alanbb and Opendo pls kindly help us with right infos about Actuary.
How do you get started?
How's the Exams?
When and how is't taken?
The cost?
Thanks
I will try and find time to create a new thread explaining this issue over the weekend. The pressure of work and exams leave me very little time to write. Please bear with me.

1 Like

Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by cutiebidey: 10:50pm On Apr 27, 2015
Alanbb:
Hi,i think a career as actuary is a very good option...fully qualified actuaries are very few so they are very valuable...i'm writing SOA exams now,i've passed 2 and i'm preparing for the 3rd one in november.it's been very stressful(combined with my bank work) but the end surely justifies the means...ur mathematics background will also be a great help...maybe u should give it a trial...all d best...
Hello Alanbb,pls I got this post late,can u pls inbox me ur no or pin to my email adebowalehelen@gmail.com.
pls I seriously need info abt SOA exams,m fully interested,thanks.
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by jamsfaiv: 1:35pm On Sep 17, 2015
Here's a link to the 20 year-old Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (SOA); another evidence showing you're neither too old nor too young to start an actuarial career http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2015/09/02/meet-top--his-field-actuary-whos-still-college/71588398/

Call 09030009963 / 08182201339 or email training@tafconsult.com to train as an actuary and write Exams in Nigeria.
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by jamsfaiv: 4:57pm On Oct 30, 2015
Hello Actuarial Trainee..grab the opportunity of the ongoing 25% discount in tutorial fees by enrolling for classes with us at CAT before the Exam P Class start date on 14th November. email: training@tafconsult.com or call 08182201339
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by rhydex247(m): 3:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
hello, which professional courses can i apply for as a 500 level maths student here in nigeria.
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by Bwanuu: 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2017
Alanbb:

please I want to know more on this u can reach me through patience.iliya@yahoo.com
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by immortal07: 6:40pm On Jan 10, 2018
opendo21:
I will try and find time to create a new thread explaining this issue over the weekend. The pressure of work and exams leave me very little time to write. Please bear with me.
please i just graduated this year and i will like to know more about this..my chat me on whatsapp 08185101980...will really appreciate it
Re: Professional Course Available As A Mathematics Graduate by Oshinfowokanfes: 9:03pm On Aug 29, 2020
opendo21:

Please I am interested in this and I have questions how can I reach you my email festusoshinfowokan@gmail.com thank you

(1) (Reply)

The #nairalife Of An Education Consultant Departing His Low Income Roots / Why Do People At Work Always Assume A Lady Who Sets Boundaries Is Not Humble / Testimony:opera News Hub Is Scam Don't Fall For It And Be A Creator...see Proof

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.