Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:56 AM

Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers (10244 Views)

Fayose Presents Car Gifts To Teachers In Appreciation For Their Hard Works / Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 19, 2013
ONITSHA—The face-off between Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State and a governorship aspirant for the 2014 governorship election in the state, Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah, deepened yesterday as Obi’s recent distribution of vehicles to traditional rulers came under attack by Ubah. Governor Obi gave vehicles to each of the traditional rulers in the state to assist them.

But Ubah in a statement by his Director on Media and Publicity, Mr. Afam Ilouno, described the gesture as a ‘Greek Gift’ with a political undertone.

“Governor Peter Obi has suddenly woken up to recognize and respect the traditional institution by giving them vehicles after more than seven years of his administration. Ubah said: “These vehicles are the statutory rights of these royal fathers and they should have been given two vehicles each before now”.

According to Iloumo, Obi’s gesture is propelled by the recent visit of the traditional rulers to one of their illustrious sons, Ubah, in Lagos, where on departure they were given transport money back to the east.

The visit of the traditional rulers to Ubah, it would be recalled, caught the wrath of the governor who, on their arrival, ordered them to return the transport money to Ubah, threatening that any of them that failed to comply with the directive would be de-robed.

But the traditional rulers unanimously disobeyed the governor’s directive and rather chose to wait for the worst to happen which, however, was translated to the new vehicles that was recently given to each of them by Obi’s government.

Political observers opined that Obi’s action was predicated on his fears that Ubah was becoming too popular and may scuttle his plot to instal a governor that would succeed him come 2014.

Afam said: “The motive of Governor Obi giving the vehicles to traditional rulers almost at the end of his administration is well known to Anambra people.

“It is aimed at currying the favour of traditional rulers and people of Anambra so that he will have a leeway to instal a governor for Anambra State in 2014.

“Governor Obi should know that his antics and political gimmick would not work this time because the people of Anambra have vowed to resist any form of imposition of a governor on them.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/ubah-tackles-gov-obi-over-car-gifts-to-traditional-rulers/
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Garrithe1st: 10:32am On Jun 19, 2013
berem:
According to Iloumo, Obi’s gesture is propelled by the
recent visit of the traditional rulers to one of their
illustrious sons, Ubah, in Lagos, where on departure they
were given transport money back to the east.

The visit of the traditional rulers to Ubah, it would be
recalled, caught the wrath of the governor who, on their
arrival, ordered them to return the transport money to
Ubah, threatening that any of them that failed to comply
with the directive would be de-robed.

But the traditional rulers unanimously disobeyed the
governor’s directive and rather chose to wait for the worst
to happen which, however, was translated to the new
vehicles that was recently given to each of them by Obi’s
government.

Instead of putting heads together to find a way to develop their region, the so-called elders are traveling around the country, begging for money from "money-bags". These greedy folks care less about what happens to the people in their region.

Bunch of thieves!!

cool

9 Likes

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 19, 2013
According to Iloumo, Obi’s gesture is
propelled by the
recent visit of the traditional rulers to one of
their
illustrious sons, Ubah, in Lagos, where on
departure they
were given transport money back to the east.
The visit of the traditional rulers to Ubah, it
would be
recalled, caught the wrath of the governor
who, on their
arrival, ordered them to return the transport
money to
Ubah, threatening that any of them that failed
to comply
with the directive would be de-robed.
But the traditional rulers unanimously
disobeyed the
governor’s directive and rather chose to wait
for the worst
to happen which, however, was translated to
the new
vehicles that was recently given to each of
them by Obi’s
government.

The above statement shows that the governor don't have the brain and the capacity to lead.

He didn't give them the cars because he wanted to, rather he gave them the cars because he had to;

1. To save his face from the shame and blushes.

2. To counter mr Ubah's gesture and score some rotten points.

I'd rather he should sit up and start using his head and deliver dividends of democracy to his people.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Nightshift(m): 10:43am On Jun 19, 2013
I'm disappointed by Uba's support for the car gifts from Gov Obi. He even suggested that the chiefs should have been given two vehicles each.
It's a pity that tax payers money has been used to settle those modern ' Pimps' in Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 19, 2013
Nightshift: I'm disappointed by Uba's support for the car gifts from Gov Obi. He even suggested that the chiefs should have been given two vehicles each.
It's a pity that tax payers money has been used to settle those modern ' Pimps' in Igboland.
Are you sure he really supported the governor? besides, if the governor wanted to give the traditional rulers cars, why wait for 7 whole years to do that. I don't see anything wrong with the car gifts. Most governors do the same. Remember that traditional rulers in Nigeria are being given monthly salaries by their various state government.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Acidosis(m): 10:53am On Jun 19, 2013
Ubah said: “These vehicles are the statutory rights of these royal fathers and they should have been given two vehicles each before now”.

buhahahahaa grin grin

And another aspirant would suffice and say "...they should have been given three vehicles each before now"

And another aspirant would suffice and say "...they should have been given four vehicles each before now"

And another gubernatorial f00l would come out to say they "...should have been given 10 Jets each"

Buhahahaha...

Highest bidder things with Anambra-Onitsha tax grin grin

..oya lets go there!!!
ANAMBRA FOR SALE!!

grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by kunlekunle: 10:56am On Jun 19, 2013
Garri the 1st:

Instead of putting heads together to find a way to develop their region, the so-called elders are traveling around the country, begging for money from "money-bags". These greedy folks care less about what happens to the people in their region.

Bunch of thieves!!

cool

if they had adopted the system created after the amalgamtion, the chiefs would have been in a better position to caution the politicians. They would not be begging for funds or allowance.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by gbanikiti(m): 11:01am On Jun 19, 2013
Acidosis:

buhahahahaa grin grin

An another aspirant would suffice and say "...they should have been given three vehicles each before now"

An another aspirant would suffice and say "...they should have been given four vehicles each before now"

An another gubernatorial f00l would come out to say they "...should have been given 10 Jets each"

Buhahahaha...

Highest bidder things with Anambra-Onitsha tax grin grin

..oya lets go there!!!
ANAMBRA FOR SALE!!

grin grin grin
There is nothing wrong giving them cars. The timing for splashing such gifts is rather suspicious.

Ifeanyi Ubah would have thought of giving them car gifts too but too late. grin
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Nightshift(m): 11:02am On Jun 19, 2013
berem: Are you sure he really supported the governor? besides, if the governor wanted to give the traditional rulers cars, why wait for 7 whole years to do that. I don't see anything wrong with the car gifts. Most governors do the same. Remember that traditional rulers in Nigeria are being given monthly salaries by their various state government.
Igbo people are republican culturally. We can do without perhaps over 1000 traditional rulers who are often imposed by the various state governors on the people. Why have a traditional ruler in almost every Igbo street when we have elected councillors in every ward?
It's a shameful import from the feudal North, which unfortunately, was elevated to a political norm in the second republic. The earlier we do away with such an undemocratic imposition, the better for Igboland. In my opinion, only few traditional rulers like Obi of Onitsha and Nze Njemanze of Owerri should be recognized by the state govts in the East.

4 Likes

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 19, 2013
gbanikiti: There is nothing wrong giving them cars. The timing for splashing such gifts is rather suspicious.

Ifeanyi Ubah would have thought of giving them car gifts too but too late. grin
There is EVERYTHING wrong in giving them car gifts--- It's called bribery and graft and that's enough to end the political career of the Governor and land him in prison--- if he was ruling over sane people.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by gbanikiti(m): 11:19am On Jun 19, 2013
kingoflag: There is EVERYTHING wrong in giving them car gifts--- It's called bribery and graft and that's enough to end the political career of the Governor and land him in prison--- if he was ruling over sane people.
Are they personal cars or official cars?
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by BrokenTV: 11:27am On Jun 19, 2013
If you like give the king of my town 1 billion, that not gonna make me vote for you. I will vote for whom i want to vote.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 19, 2013
gbanikiti: Are they personal cars or official cars?
I don't know, all I know is that it is ethically wrong to use State funds to buy gifts for people u can influence.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:29pm On Jun 19, 2013
Nightshift: Igbo people are republican culturally. We can do without perhaps over 1000 traditional rulers who are often imposed by the various state governors on the people. Why have a traditional ruler in almost every Igbo street when we have elected councillors in every ward?
It's a shameful import from the feudal North elevated to a political norm in the second republic. The earlier we do away with such an undemocratic imposition, the better for Igboland. In my opinion, only few traditional rulers like Obi of Onitsha and Nze Njemanze of Owerri should be recognized by the state govts in the East.

You don't have any clue about what you are talking about.

7 Likes

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Nightshift(m): 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

You don't have any clue about what you are talking about.
As often as it has been on Igbo matters on NL, we can have different opinions.
Take a look at Achebe's take on the issue of traditional rulers in Igboland in his famous book " The Trouble With Nigeria". The book was published in mid 80s , when the foundation for the current 'chiefs' syndrome in Igboland was laid.
The NPP of Governors Jim Nwobodo and Sam Mbakwe politicized the stools of traditional rulers in Igboland. Since then, the situation has worsened with more government and money-bag influences.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Zonacom(m): 8:21pm On Jun 19, 2013
berem: Are you sure he really supported the governor? besides, if the governor wanted to give the traditional rulers cars, why wait for 7 whole years to do that. I don't see anything wrong with the car gifts. Most governors do the same. Remember that traditional rulers in Nigeria are being given monthly salaries by their various state government.
Why do i have this feeling that you are ubah's rep on nl? Obi's gesture at this point in time is sure a bad one but for ubah to say that obi should have given two cars each to the royal fathers shows he would do worse himself.
Obi seem to be loosing grip these days while ngige is gaining more support. As for ubah, i doubt he will win any other town apart from nnewi. How i wish ngige would leave ACN( or APC or whatever) because from the look of things on ground, he is the most loved by anambra residents. Though i prefer soludo as governor, but i woun't mind voting ngige if only he will decamp from his current party.

1 Like

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by EkoIle1: 9:09pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ubah. - 1

Obi - 1

Now over to Ubah to make the next move by dashing the Awoof traditional rulers Rolls Royce and let's see if Obi go respond by dashing the same Awoof traditional rulers new mansions....

May the best man win at the expense of the people of Anambra...

lmao....

6 Likes

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by SmartTalk: 10:30pm On Jun 19, 2013
Nightshift: As often as it has been on Igbo matters on NL, we can have different opinions.
Take a look at Achebe's take on the issue of traditional rulers in Igboland in his famous book " The Trouble With Nigeria". The book was published in mid 80s , when the foundation for the current 'chiefs' syndrome in Igboland was laid.
The NPP of Governors Jim Nwobodo and Sam Mbakwe politicized the stools of traditional rulers in Igboland. Since then, the situation has worsened with more government and money-bag influences.

Honestly, you are the only one making sense on this thread so far. We, the Igbo people, are Republicans. We do not recognize these "royal fathers". We must leave the backwardness of buying stuff for so-called royalty for Britain, and other African culture that believes in that system. And besides, Uba has questions to ask on corruption. Why is he not in jail? Oh, I forgot. It's a Nigerian thing. We would do away with corrupt individuals and faux-monarchy when Nigeria is done with the mistake of its existence. The Biafran nation will recognize NO MONARCH officially. We might only ceremonially recognize the two monarchs you mentioned but even they must work for their money. We would also put corrupt clowns like Uba where they belong - in jail.

1 Like

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by dridowu: 10:04am On Jun 20, 2013
Just passing
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Tedpgrass: 10:11am On Jun 20, 2013
Interesting......
Pre-2015

The drama continues....
Over to Ngige or Soludo or any other moneybag with political ambitions!!
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by fitzmayowa: 10:18am On Jun 20, 2013
This is a typical case of a kettle calling a pot black, would Ubah had done things differently if he were to be the governor I weep for my Anambra brothers, with the set selfish politicians/royal fathers they have I don't see them moving forward that much...SMH

1 Like

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by miqos02(m): 10:18am On Jun 20, 2013
ubah gave traditional rulers transport money? interesting.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Okijajuju1(m): 10:21am On Jun 20, 2013
Statutory right?! TWO EACH?!

Where in the constitution is this stated?!

Nna men?! The black race muct be cursed o!! shocked shocked

Like seriously... WTF?!

1 Like

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by yuzedo: 10:24am On Jun 20, 2013
Okija_juju: Statutory right?! TWO EACH?!

Where in the constitution is this stated?!

Nna men?! The black race muct be cursed o!! shocked shocked

Like seriously... WTF?!

Are you minding that iti..?!
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by bobthebuilder99(m): 10:26am On Jun 20, 2013
berem:
“Governor Obi should know that his antics and political gimmick would not work this time because the people of Anambra have vowed to resist any form of imposition of a governor on them.”

So...are the traditional rulers going to give the cars back? grin
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by buoye1(m): 10:28am On Jun 20, 2013
Mtcheeeew
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by bobthebuilder99(m): 10:29am On Jun 20, 2013
SmartTalk:

Honestly, you are the only one making sense on this thread so far. We, the Igbo people, are Republicans. We do not recognize these "royal fathers". We must leave the backwardness of buying stuff for so-called royalty for Britain, and other African culture that believes in that system. And besides, Uba has questions to ask on corruption. Why is he not in jail? Oh, I forgot. It's a Nigerian thing. We would do away with corrupt individuals and faux-monarchy when Nigeria is done with the mistake of its existence. The Biafran nation will recognize NO MONARCH officially. We might only ceremonially recognize the two monarchs you mentioned but even they must work for their money. We would also put corrupt clowns like Uba where they belong - in jail.

I dey laugh ooo!

It is too early in the morning to have that much hate in your heart.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by 1freshdude: 10:30am On Jun 20, 2013
Eko Ile: Ubah. - 1

Obi - 1

Now over to Ubah to make the next move by dashing the Awoof traditional rulers Rolls Royce and let's see if Obi go respond by dashing the same Awoof traditional rulers new mansions....

May the best man win at the expense of the people of Anambra...

lmao....

This is all bullshit, the East (Ananambra state)especially is quite unlike the west and the North where the traditional rulers endorses a candidate and everybody goes with it, the Igbo people have a mind of there own and would vote rationally, that dos not mean unselfishly dou, just RATIONALLY. so if Peter obi and ifeanyi Ubah are throwing cash and gifts around they better make it sufficient for the members of all the communities so that people may be tempted on rationnal ground to vote for them. My 2pence!

1 Like

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Delafruita(m): 10:32am On Jun 20, 2013
you see nothing wrong with car gifts?most staes also sponsor people on pilgrimage to hajj and to jerusalem,thankfully some state governors notably aregbesola and kwankwanso have stopped those.if we dont stop this acts that draw us back,how do we move forward?we cant keep doing the same thing and expect to progress.

ubah has shown that he is of the same ilk as obi.imagine the buffoon saying the kings should have received 2 cars each.thats almost 400 cars at taxpayers expense.assume a cost of 5million naira per car and thats 2billion naira spent on cars for traditional rulers.thats almost the state's allocation for one month.does that sound sensible?

1 Like

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Sealeddeal(m): 10:35am On Jun 20, 2013
Giving cars to traditional rulers is not a bad thing but politicizing it is the worst thing that any government will do. Gov Obi should have given these gifts to traditional rulers owing to their various assistance to the government in area of security and enthronement of peace in anambra state.But for Gov Obi to wait until the last days of his office,especially now that he has shown his effort in making his boy a governor, shows that he is ready to use traditional rulers to his political advantage and such will not augur well for anambra state as anambra state will be made to return to the dark days of god-fatherism and imposition and that necessitates Ifeanyi Ubah's harsh response to such 'greek gift'.
Ifeanyi Ubah has alot in stock for anambra state. His quest for Anambra govt seat is not hinged on personal interest but for the interest of Anambra state. I have said it severally that dyed-in-the wool politicians should not be allowed to lead anambra state again.Anambra will be led by billionaires who are already satisfied with cash and will have no reason to embezzle the meagre allocation of anambra state. Anambrarians are solidly behind Dr Ifeanyi Ubah. For those that are still dreaming of Ngige,their dream is alive but its only when you visit anambra state now that you will understand that Ifeanyi Ubah has achieved a great in-road into people's heart.
Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by dplomaticVal: 10:40am On Jun 20, 2013
Mr. Ubah must
be sick in d brain,
why must he berate the
action of d Gov. whn he
alrdy knew dt those cars were
d constitutional entitlemnt
for traditional rulers.. The man
only wnts to gain public relevance thats why he's alwys busy dwelling on frivolities undecided

2 Likes

Re: Ubah Tackles Obi Over Car Gifts To Traditional Rulers by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 20, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

So...are the traditional rulers going to give the cars back? grin
....and you had to modify my comment?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Armageddon Called The Awkuzu Sars Under Csp James Nwafor. / NIMC Faces Criticism Over Alleged Dollar Billing On NIN Updates / SERAP Sues Tinubu For Not Publishing Spending Details Of N400bn Fuel Subsidy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.