Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,996 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts (885 Views)

Senate Seeks Probe Of $40m Loan To Aviation Industry / False Statement On Social Media: Senate Seeks For 2-Year-Jail Term For Offenders / Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by WallaceDon(m): 7:34pm On May 09, 2008
CANT OUR SENATE AND HOUSE OF REPS DELIBRATE ON MATTERS THAT CAN MAKE NIGERIA A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE INSTEAD OF TURNING THEMSELVES INTO ANTI -GRAFT AGENCY? ARE THEY SINCERE WITH ALL THESE PROBES?

Many Nigerians have contributed much about this particular issue but i wanted the Nairaland to treat this matter as well.

Sen. Chukwumerije, Said Nigeria senate must be careful not to be seen by Nigerians as backing the rouge so-call senator (Iyabo). She's all over places from $16b power probe, N300m scam.
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by DisGuy: 7:50pm On May 09, 2008
I think she should resign out of anger for being prosecuted unfairly! but she wont too much money for senate!

when last did a Nigerian politician resign voluntarily anyway?
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by Uche2nna(m): 7:55pm On May 09, 2008
Dis Guy:

I think she should resign out of anger for being prosecuted unfairly! but she wont too much money for senate!

when last did a Nigerian politician resign voluntarily anyway?

Are U being sarcastic? undecided
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by DisGuy: 8:51pm On May 09, 2008
wont that be honourable? grin
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by WallaceDon(m): 8:24pm On May 10, 2008
Now, I don't understand Nigerian system of Government anymore. I read Nigerian news paper on-line @ www.nigeriannews.com  believe me, is all about corruption here and there.

What goes around, comes around. The young lady has Soiled her past, present and future. Iyabo, may not be alive to enjoy her loot. No place to hide.The LOOTER is being LOOTED by NEMESIS.

There is no better way to say it: Iyabo is accursed.

Dis Guy what's ur position in Nigeria ?

Uche2nna there is no doubt i can tell u more nwenne.

DJ WallaCE
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by Ndipe(m): 1:19am On May 11, 2008
Come-o, na true say, this woman scaled the fence of her backyard to escape the EFCC when they came to her place in Abuja? I just thought it was funny!
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by sheniqua: 1:22am On May 11, 2008
Ndipe:

Come-o, na true say, this woman scaled the fence of her backyard to escape the EFCC when they came to her place in Abuja? I just thought it was funny!

I'm not surprised
Have you seen her picture shocked shocked shocked
The muscles on her hands can push down a fence . lipsrsealed
Dude looks like a lady lipsrsealed
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by Uche2nna(m): 1:25am On May 11, 2008
sheniqua:

Dude looks like a lady lipsrsealed

Shouldn't it be the other way round , Lady looks like a dude grin
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by sheniqua: 1:26am On May 11, 2008
the other is a song unless you released a new album grin
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by Uche2nna(m): 1:28am On May 11, 2008
Ndipe:

I dont even know why the EFCC is pretending to be on the look out for her. If dem wan catch the woman, dem for don do am tey tey!!!

Andd I think that there are other ways to rope the woman in. Like freeze her accounts , cordon all her houses etc. At some point she is bound to show up somewhere.
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by Cadet(f): 1:31am On May 11, 2008
Maybe the EFCC is even trying not look for her, maybe this case is bigger than they're telling us. or maybe the EFCC have sth to do with the case.

This is Nigeria, everything goes.
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by chidichris(m): 8:59am On May 11, 2008
like father, like daughter.
the truth is that dogs will never give birth to snakes.
a woman wanted in usa for kidnap, wanted all over nigeria for different crimes yet she is occupying a very important position alongside her father.
the are from criminal minded family.
the criminal father is the father of nigeria and the criminal daughter is the daughter general of nigeria.
wow! Ibori, alams and kalu are no longer on the run. i know soon, i mean very soon, obj will be on the run. God will save him not to come near my house while hiding away from the angry masses.
nemesis in play.
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by Spermdrops(m): 1:29pm On May 12, 2008
I think we should search where we found Gbenga's Obasanjo's current wife last night, I believe you can find Iyabo too.  In OBJ's bed!
Re: Senate Seeks Iyabo Obasanjo’s Whereabouts by OsunAmazon: 5:38pm On May 12, 2008
Iyabo sighted at Obasanjo's hilltop mansion
By Olusola Balogun (Lagos) and Adetutu Folasade-Koyi (Abuja)

Runaway Senate Health Committee Chairperson, Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello, who is diving and docking from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), is hiding in Abeokuta.

She has taken temporary abode at the Hilltop mansion of her father, former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Iyabo abandoned her duties in the Senate following the decision of the EFCC to arraign her over the diversion of N300 million unspent budget of the Health Ministry.

She admitted collecting N10 million from the loot.

The EFCC wants her to return the money, but she says she has spent it on matters pertaining to the committee's work.

Attempts by the EFCC to arraign her along with others have failed.

However, a source confirmed that Iyabo "is hiding in Abeokuta at her father's house. She is at the Hilltop mansion. She has been in the place for over two weeks, and is always on the phone, and reading newspapers."

The mansion, on the prestigious Millionaires' Estate, was built in the twilight of Obasanjo's administration.

The estate is located at the back of the popular Ibara Housing Estate, sitting atop two plots in an area conceptualised by former Ogun State Governor, Olusegun Osoba.

The Hilltop, said to have an underground bunker, was commissioned last December with a carol service.

Iyabo has been absent from Senate plenary for three weeks in a row.

The Rules and Business Committee had served notice on Tuesday that she would present the report of the Health Committee on the National Health Bill.

However, on Wednesday, the Order Paper credited the presentation of the report to her deputy, Gyang Dantong. No reason was given for her absence.

Rules and Business Committee Chairman, Aloysius Etok, explained that Iyabo's absence would not affect proceedings since "the Committee on Health is not made up of (her) alone. There are other members. Whether or not she is around, the committee work goes on. The committee has laid the report and it will be debated tomorrow (today)."

However, feelers from the Upper chambers indicated that the embattled Senator risks sanction over her continued absence from duty.

Section 63 of the 1999 Constitution stipulates that, "the Senate and the House of Representatives shall each sit for a period of not less than one hundred and eighty-one days in a year." The Constitution also provides that a member risks recall if he does not show up within 60 days. Obasanjo-Bello was last seen in the Senate Chambers on April 15.

A ranking senator who declined to be named noted that Obasanjo-Bello is expected to attend to legislative duties within a specified number of days, failing which the seat could be declared vacant.

"Constitutionally, she is required, just like any other legislator, to sit for a number of days. It's only when she fails to show up on those specified number of days that the seat is jeopardised. Also, don't forget that there is a register which details attendance of each member.

"Again, Section 69 stipulates that, "a member of the Senate or of the House Representatives may be recalled as such a member if - (a) there is presented to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission a petition in that behalf signed by more than one-half of the persons registered to vote in that member's constituency alleging their loss of confidence in that member; and; (b) the petition is thereafter, in a referendum conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission within ninety days of the date of receipt of the petition, approved by a simple majority of the votes of the persons registered to vote in that member's constituency."

Regardless, Section 68 (1) (f) of the Constitution stipulates the tenure of seat of either a Senator or member of the House of Representatives. The section also stipulates the number of days a member could be absent from legislative duties.

It states that a member would vacate his seat if "without just cause he is absent from meetings of the House of which he is a member for a period amounting in the aggregate to more than one-third of the total number of days during which the House meets in any one year."

But another National Assembly source argued that Obasanjo-Bello has not flouted any known rule of the Senate.

"There is no rule which says that a member cannot be absent from Senate duties. I believe that she is not absent without a cogent reason. She will appear in due course."

(1) (Reply)

Very Funny / Lastma Official Jailed 4 Collecting Bribe! / Invitation To Tender: Maintenance Of Generators At Aso Villa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.