Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,556 members, 7,955,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:51 PM

Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea (11473 Views)

3, 500 Male Sex Workers, Mostly Married, Discovered In Abuja - NACA / New Case Of Ebola Discovered In Liberia – WHO / First Case Of Suspected Ebola Discovered In New York City, Usa!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Abiyamo: 7:31pm On Jun 20, 2013
Yippee!!! Science is at it again! You thought we knew all the parts of the human body shey? That nothing new can be discovered in the world of anatomy? Nah! You are wrong, a new part has just been discovered and .com is bringing it to you LIVE.

The newly-discovered part of the human body is a new layer in the human cornea. It is just 15 microns in thickness (which means it is an extremely thin layer) and it is situated between the cornea stroma and the Descemet’s membrane (go and revise ya histology of the eye jooor….lol!) But do not be deceived by its thinness, it is actually very strong and can withstand two bars of pressure. It is named DUA’S LAYER, and that is because it was discovered by PROFESSOR HARMINDER S. DUA, an Indian researcher and his team at the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, and the news was released hours ago. The new layer was first mentioned in May 2013 in the journal, Ophthalmology.

The team was conducting transplant research on donated eyes when the discovery was made. Their discovery was confirmed by electron microscopy. The layer is rich in collagen and Professor Dua is very much excited (understandably). He says of the discovery: ”ophthalmology textbooks will literally need to be re-written.” Before now, scientists believed the cornea had just five layers:

-DESCEMET’S MEMBRANE

-CORNEAL EPITHELIUM

-CORNEAL STROMA

-BOWMAN’S LAYER

-CORNEAL ENDOTHELIUM

So, with Dua’s layer, we now have six layers. The cornea is the transparent front part of the eye covering the iris, pupil and other structures in front. Cornea is as smooth as glass and it is very durable. It assists in protecting the eyes by regulating and focusing the amount of light that enters the eye (as an external lens) and also protects the eyes from germs, dust and ultraviolet (UV) rays. When it is damaged, it can be replaced by transplanting from those who have donated their eyes (I hear Tinubu did that, and that his eyes should be removed after death, shey you go do the same? I can give you the address of the National Eye Bank in Kaduna o

SO WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS GREAT DISCOVERY?

The new layer will help surgeons improve the outcome for patients who are going for corneal grafts and transplants. Before the discovery, during surgical operations on the eye, tiny air bubbles are injected into the cornea in what is called the ‘big bubble technique’. Atimes, the bubble can burst and damage the patient’s eye. But now, by injecting the bubble UNDER the Dua’s layer instead of above it, the risk of the bubble bursting is reduced. In short, it makes surgery safer. But my Good People, me I have one question wey I one knack o: when are we going to start making discoveries like this for Obodo Naija?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR TIME.

SOURCE: http://.com/new-human-body-part-discovered/

5 Likes

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 20, 2013
That's my school. Greatest Nottinghamite!
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 20, 2013
Amen
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by demelza: 9:09pm On Jun 20, 2013
Thank God Im through with biology if not na to do additional cramming.
Its really cool. Thanks OP for the information

4 Likes

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 21, 2013
WELL DAYUMMM
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 21, 2013
Is this news really useful? undecided
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by sholay2011(m): 4:53pm On Jun 21, 2013
Pipsland78: That's my school. Greatest Nottinghamite!
*Yimu* What's wrong with this OWO POLY student shouting to high heavens?

Congrats to Dua. More discoveries to come...

2 Likes

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2013
first to COMMENT.
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2013
Yes
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by bright007(f): 5:00pm On Jun 21, 2013
discovery noted!but the price of garri is very high since last year's flood. cool

1 Like

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 21, 2013
God is great
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by IAMBREEZY: 5:02pm On Jun 21, 2013
Ok noteD
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 21, 2013
let us eat first before talking of discovery, you want to go to moon with empty stomach?
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 21, 2013
that is what am saying. our issue now is food not all these plan to visit moon or discover who is rapping in Jupiter
bright007: discovery noted!but the price of garri is very high since last year's flood. cool
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Vanpascore(m): 5:04pm On Jun 21, 2013
.......weldone Dua
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 21, 2013
La Professeur: God is great

Ofcourse dat is what he has been known for, taking credit for other peoples efforts.

4 Likes

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by braine(m): 5:06pm On Jun 21, 2013
Thats why I love science; very dynamic.
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Neaman(m): 5:06pm On Jun 21, 2013
Noted.
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jun 21, 2013
991:

Ofcourse dat is what he has been known for, taking credit for other peoples efforts.

But he gave those people the talent. He is watching you.

1 Like

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by ninja4life(m): 5:12pm On Jun 21, 2013
991:

1000000000likes when more discovery is made it will be credited to God but when d reverse happens we will take d responsibilty or some will say na devil.when will we get over dis kinf of mentality in nigeria.kudos to d man for his discovery

4 Likes

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 21, 2013
La Professeur:

what more can he do than watching watching watching and hiding, unable to stop earthquakes, tsunami, flood, etc.. yet when ordinary humans do a great job his worshipers will start praising him.

2 Likes

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by ITbomb(m): 5:13pm On Jun 21, 2013
Does it mean we can now see God?
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by ninja4life(m): 5:14pm On Jun 21, 2013
La Professeur:

then he is also d one who gives armed robbers,assasins,prostitutes,militant etc their talents to go about doing their deeds.isnt dat d implication:/

2 Likes

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by ninja4life(m): 5:16pm On Jun 21, 2013
ITbomb: Does it mean we can now see God?
which God allah or yahweh or shango or amadioha or zeus or budha or which God are u refering to.i hate dis kind of mentality
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by drnoel: 5:19pm On Jun 21, 2013
Well if u know how the science world works it will take atleast from 5 to 10 years b4 his findings are accepted and inculcated into daily practice. Its the limitations of being a scientist. Am glad about the findings though cos it give us more to research.
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by dulphines: 5:21pm On Jun 21, 2013
Na today? I've always known that.
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Chanchit: 5:22pm On Jun 21, 2013

No be wetin them ask you be that, 9ja likes famzing too much, afterall you also graduated from d school, pls discover something, so they would call ur name too.
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Chanchit: 5:26pm On Jun 21, 2013
991:

Hello..! Satan, is that you..?

7 Likes

Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Babaofor(m): 5:32pm On Jun 21, 2013
SO
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 21, 2013
Life is actually full of mysteries. undecided
Re: Dua's Layer : New Layer Discovered In The Cornea by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jun 21, 2013
Chanchit:

Hello..! Satan, is that you..?

sorry god,,, d telphone number u r calling is busy, try again later.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Teenagers Diagnosed With Depression, Mental Problems - Yaba Psychologist / 1st Monkeypox Case In US This Year Reported In Massachusetts / Jonathan Moves To Prevent Doctors' Strike (Meets With NMA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.