Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,543 members, 7,827,029 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward (6467 Views)

A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / Embedded Systems Designs- The Way Forward / Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by texazzpete(m): 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2008
So much geekspeak and too little common sense applied

otigba boys do not know how to crack software. they don't need to. As Oyb said, all they have to do is burn copies of downloaded warez.

Most programs you Nigerians will write will fall far beneath the radar of the known warez groups, talkless of the otigba boys.

man y big corporations have invested millions to find a way to curb piracy. all have failed. Encryption on console games and systems have been cracked with ease. Windows Vista and mac leopard have been ripped to shreds.

You guys have far too much time on your hands.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by yinka007(m): 4:44pm On Sep 17, 2008
I think Nigerian software developers should be more concerned about developing better software rather than worry about piracy, when we get to that bridge we will cross it.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by EasyWare(m): 11:44am On Oct 11, 2008
Hi all,
After many years working in the software business around the world, we have decided to move our services to Nigeria. We think the time is ripe for the move.

To this end, we have spent the last few months working on a number of software products directed at the Nigerian market. Our first offering is a Payroll and Human resource management software called 'EasyWare Human Resource Manager'. You may download an evaluation copy at: http://www.easyware-ng.com/human_resources.html.

We are looking to partner with software sales/marketing any organisations or individuals with a good understanding of the Nigerian market and good contacts within the software end-user market. Are there people on this forum who can point us in the right direction?

Thanks
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by futurevip: 3:25am On Feb 03, 2009
This has been a very interesting discussion yo me. I believe than you guys will make more money if you concentrate on developing business models based on Software as a service SAS, or web-based subscription based applications. We are located in the USA and need reliable people who can do PHP, MySql, AJAX etc. Futurevip.com
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Nobody: 7:47am On Feb 03, 2009
This is a very interesting thread, i have been complaining pieces about the quality of nigerian-made softwares - i am sure our ppl have better skills - hopefully we will start seeing world-class softwares soonest.
And I think, we even need to review what is called software with regards to 9ja made programs.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by lynxnoon(m): 11:41am On Mar 09, 2009
oops!! lipsrsealed wink
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Metroman(m): 1:01pm On Mar 09, 2009
@Kazey, you have offered the best dissection of piracy vs antipiracy I have heard in a long time. Thanks
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by DoubleN(m): 10:02pm On Mar 09, 2009
Piracy is here to stay, its better wake up to that harsh reality!
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Patengr(m): 12:16am On Mar 10, 2009
Nothing is hack proof; it might take a lifetime or a supercomputer to crack the code. Even RSA is crackable and I'm not spewing garbage,

BUT you can make it difficult to pirate by having the authentication verified by a third party (some guy already said this). Keep in mind that even this method is only as strong as the public key. Knowing some things about the public key, you can reverse engineer it. Do you think “big brother” just higher those wizards for nothing? Notwithstanding, Otigba boys or Nigerian govt in general don't have the computational power to crack something as strong as RSA.

Usually if you come up with a protection mechanism, “big brother” will take a stab at it to let you how good it is. Countries fall due to their code being cracked. That’s all I can say…

Assuming you have something that truly works, you would turn into a billionaire overnight if your right are protected because whatever you have can be used to protect CDs and movies. You could end up getting a cut of every CD and movie sold. Let me know if you want to know more about protecting your rights in the US and/or PCT.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by tallnaijaf: 3:03am On Mar 10, 2009
texazzpete:

So much geekspeak and too little common sense applied

otigba boys do not know how to crack software. they don't need to. As Oyb said, all they have to do is burn copies of downloaded warez.

Most programs you Nigerians will write will fall far beneath the radar of the known warez groups, talkless of the otigba boys.

man y big corporations have invested millions to find a way to curb piracy. all have failed. Encryption on console games and systems have been cracked with ease. Windows Vista and mac leopard have been ripped to shreds.

You guys have far too much time on your hands.

By far the best response on this thread.
I will also bet that texazzpete is not residing in Nigeria
cos his reply was sensible. shocked
and not suffering from the intellectual malaise of the typical local Naija boy. grin
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by talk2hb1(m): 8:27am On Mar 11, 2009
To the general Programming world, I have been into the hacking world for some time now,all your security is nothing to the hacking community. The most secured system is the system that doesn't exist at all,am not trying to discourage you but i will like you to learn from your big brother Microsoft and others,piracy has come to stay so far we cannot delete it from the dictionary.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by ndgfx(m): 11:26am On Mar 11, 2009
you wanna hear the way forward
i'll give it to you nice and strait
[list]

[li]quit making s*h*i*t*t*y software. Half the software made by nigerian developers under perform, fail under enterprise environments and (the part that hurts me the most because i'm a designer), never ever come with easy to use interfaces[/li]

[li]move on to the web. WebApps are the current best thing. I don't see it going away in a hurry. Might as well deploy whole services over the internet or a network than build a stand alone app that gets cracked and leaves a crack in my pocket [/li]
[li]Open Source You don't have a choice. Not everyone is out to steal your hard-written code. Some just want to make it better smiley[/li]
[li]Develop a better marketing strategy Take the initiative, strategize and make money from your target market before the vultures take over[/li]
[/list]

Last Word
Piracy is here to stay. I mean, let's admit it, the very OS you're using right now isn't original. I got VS 2k8 for less than 1 grand and guess what, it came with the crack. I got my own copy of the Adobe creative master suite a week after it was released after spending about 90 hrs online. The best you can do with it is to ride on it and benefit from it (because without piracy and software cracking, half the universe will never have gotten photoshop, corel draw or even office).
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by eudio(f): 1:36pm On Mar 12, 2009
isn't it amazing that otigba boys are finally getting some attention?

OTIGBA 4 LIFE grin
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Kenny(m): 6:31pm On Mar 13, 2009
You can't do much on your own without a reliable government input. Ranksack defaulters, jail them straight a minimum of 8 months, max. 3 years. If this is effective and becomes a norm then Computer Villagers will wake up. Piracy will reduce.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Flexcubed: 9:31pm On Mar 13, 2009
What ever goes around comes around. I don't pirate cos I'm a software developer myself and no one pirates my softwares. They are online services though. I bought Adobe CS3 Web premium for N150,000, that's more than the cost of my laptop and am proud I can associate with Adobe and become a certified partner. My point is "Integrity has its values". The funny thing is that people here in Nigeria dont know the cost of software development and what goes into it. A single core MSSQL costs $21,000, that's N3.6m in naira, for your dual core, that'll be N7.2m, but think of it, how come serious business organizations don't opt for mysql which is free?

Opensource is good but when it comes to critical enterprise apps, there's nobody to hold if your system goes down while using opensource. Even google that shouts opensource charges heavily if you plan using their google maps for real heavy work cos it cost money to deliver good at that extent. Quality costs money!

What you can do is what Canopus did to Edius 4: Make a USB dongle, your software wont run till a dongle is plugged. Even while running, major part of your computations and processes are stored on the dongle.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by ayobase(m): 12:39pm On Mar 14, 2009
thats nice to hear from u!!
But what do think will
be happening if there aint
pirated software?

We are all still making it
hard to even put food on
the table.

I use pirated software, yes!
who is there that has never
used one in his lifetime?
let me see ur hand in the air!!!
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Kenny(m): 5:51pm On Mar 16, 2009
Ayobase, you need to appreciate the sleeplessness and sleepless nights of an average programmer. Let's stop pirating s/w so we dont pay for it VERY HARD.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Kenny(m): 12:26am On Mar 18, 2009
Kazuya M, , nawa o!
But Not all that gliters is GOLD!
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by KazuyaM(m): 11:16am On Mar 18, 2009
Kenny, what do you mean Please explain. Everything on the website should genuinize any ungenuine windows.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Kenny(m): 3:48pm On Mar 18, 2009
A friend once told me: 'If I spend months, or years on my software, and someone pirates it without a dime or a kobo to me, all in the name of copy-copy, O 'boy I will format that hard disk without him knowing it.'

So who pays for what? Not all programs look genuine on the net. If you continue to pirate software, and do not stop, you'll pay for it one way or the other.

I can act as my friend would act. I could be forced to identify where my software is being run, and attack if it is not genuine registration, or due payment for it. We should discourage software piracy, and acknowledge the effort of the diligent programmers. Pay for programs we run unless the programmer GIVES it FREE!
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Kenny(m): 4:31pm On Mar 18, 2009
Well, I rest my case!
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Em2va: 1:02am On Mar 24, 2009
Hmm, I really love the open source coding of a thing, its the way forward. Software is soft, and lets get the facts into our heads that time has gone when one could make millions from software.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download Sketchware Pro V6.4.0 Beta 4 Apk / Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers / Review My App I Built From Scratch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.