Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,903 members, 7,821,144 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Nigerian Java Group : Jand - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nigerian Java Group : Jand (4150 Views)

Jand - Java Nigerian Group Launches Web Forum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javarules(m): 2:41pm On May 10, 2008
[b]
Hey guyz, I want to Introduce a new group I have just started to you, Its called JAND(Java and Nigerian Developers), I was moved to start this group because the only of such groups we have in Africa is in SA, if such a group should get Sun's Approval here in Nigeria, then we will also be able to host Java Tech Week(one week of hosting Java Developers and Evangelists from all over the world), I have contacts within Sun who have given me assurance that if we could record progressive activities within the group then, they could help speed up the approval process, I have created a yahoo group just for this purpose, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/java_and_nigerian_developers/ and those interested in either learning Java or those that are already Java Gurus could join, this is what is expected of us

[list]
[li]We host monthly meetings, either online or in one of the groups home[/li]
[li]We develop programs/apps using Netbeans and other Java Technologies[/li]
[li]We blog and write about these technologies and our discoveries, you can check out http://trinisoftinc..com[/li]
[li]We also develop plugins for Netbeans[/li]
[/list]

And many more things we can do to contribute to the language of choice, JAVA

For motivation you guys can read http://www.netbeans.org/community/articles/interviews/ifnu-bima-indonesia-nug.html

And for my own personal contribution you can also read the topic by Akintayo Olusegun Don, Java Developer, Access Solutions, Nigeria on http://www.netbeans.org/switch/realstories.html

That is d only post by a Nigerian there

If you are also interested you can become an administrator on the http://trinisoftinc..com it is already listed in Netbeans and after approval all our posts will appear here http://planetnetbeans.org/

For more info contact me on trinisoftinc@gmail.com or 2348089370313

ciao
[/b]
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by logica(m): 3:42pm On May 10, 2008
better late than never. the JUG i created back in 1999 for lagos was like a ghost town. i guess java has finally caught on. keep me informed: javaman21133@yahoo.com
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javarules(m): 4:06pm On May 10, 2008
Cool stuff u did back then, but i guess Nigeria is not ready for such a thing back then, i guess now is d time and it will be the responsibilty of all java programmers and wannabies,

lets chat trinisoftinc@yahoo.com

you can take the first steps and join the yahoo group,

ciao
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javaprince(m): 6:45am On May 11, 2008
I was so glad to see the news. A now functional Nigerian Java group. Anywhere am a Java Professional/Developer in Nigeria and i will be so glad to share and learn from my other Nigerian Java colleagues. First of all let me share this good news: Netbeans 6.1 free DVD software is now available at www.netbeans.org. Make your Order while it still lasts.

You can reach me on topriddy@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javarules(m): 12:19pm On May 11, 2008
Hello,
I know Java guys would be more than elated to hear the news, we already have about ten members since three days ago when I started the campaign, concerning the Netbeans Free DVD, you can as well join the Yahoo Group http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/java_and_nigerian_developers/ and post the good news there, my contacts at Sun will be more than elated to see that the group is active(one of them is actually a Nigerian), hope you went through my blogs, if you want to blog about netbeans, I could add you as an Administrator, the blog is already listed at planetnetbens, I am only awaiting approval,

Thanks once more
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by Bassie(m): 6:50pm On May 11, 2008
hey guy,
Nice Idea. I do Java n this idea is cool.I'm down with it. do keep me posted.
basmo13@gmail.com
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javarules(m): 6:56pm On May 11, 2008
Hello Bassie,
Its not enough to be down with the idea, we need to otake steps, I think we should form a community and that is what the yahoo group is for, lets all go ahead and register on the group, post our latest findings and try and put up materials especially for the java wanabies, as of now any question or post that is raised in the group is being answered by me alone, this should not be the case, let others(like you) also join the group and answer to posts, when the community is large and strong enuf we can begin to think of how we hold our monthly meetings, there are a lot of things we can do and I tell you if only we can co-operate, the sky is our limit

Anyway thanks for the reply

ciao
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javaprince(m): 8:21pm On May 11, 2008
Thanks Javarules. You can add me as a blog administrator and I would be proud to contribute to the group.

Also I'll be doing my 6 months I.T(school) in lagos and am still searching for a placement. Can u link me up?

I'm currently an OCP database administrator in Oracle and SCJP 1.4 in Java and very good with jsps and love Java in general. I will also need help in configuring/downloading Jasper Report in Netbeans 6.0 [which is an alternative to Crystal Reporting from my VB days].
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javarules(m): 8:04am On May 12, 2008
Hi Java Prince,
I would love to help but presently I am in Abuja and I have left lag for such a long tym that I have lost touch with some of my contacts, If you dont mind Abuja though I could begin to push some buttons,

I will also prefer if this type of Conversation is held on the yahoo group page ok?

I will send u a mail that will allow u to register as an admin on the blog

ciao
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javalove(m): 12:59pm On May 12, 2008
Mmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnn great minds think alike. This is something i was planning to start immediately i finish the project i am working on. I created a group on youtube for JavaProgrammersInNigeria. Funny enough, only me and my friends are on the group.

This is a nice idea and I am 100% down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would give my supports where nessecary even though i m a busy hand.

Ok, the idea has been known, whats the next step. javarules u can contact me at lukman@jajitech.net make we yarn wella and any other person can. I lov naija meeennnn. i m sure this will work,
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by jennyjatt: 1:14pm On May 12, 2008
please do anybody have any info about Aptech or NIIT. i just want to know which is best and which is worth a life career. do they really teach? are there job offers? is it worth the money they are demanding? do Aptech or NIIT students have lots of job opportunities? please help. i know this is not the right place to ask this but i do need your help. thanks
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javalove(m): 2:00pm On May 12, 2008
I attened NIIT and i enjoyed my course there. Check this forum, there are threads where all those things you are requesting have been discussed.
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by jennyjatt: 3:21pm On May 12, 2008
@ javalove
is NIIT worth a career program. becos i am thinking of attending NIIT or Aptech instead of university
please i need ur advice. thanks
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javaprince(m): 3:30pm On May 12, 2008
[size=18pt]JennyJatt, i studied Oracle 9i Database Administration at NIIT. But if you ask me I'll take Aptech. Aptech is more practical oriented, Full of Facilitators and Instructors with the right/actual know how. The only demerit is that it is really EXPENSIVE.

For lower cost (70,000) and very good instructor Check out FIRST LOGIC AT IKEJA OBA AKRAN.[/size]
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javaprince(m): 3:36pm On May 12, 2008
[size=28pt]THANKS. I'll like to have my I.T in Abuja. As long as I can get enough to move around(sustain.) Please can we chat at yahoo this evening probably around 8 P.M. Or rather send me a time u will be available[/size]
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javaprince(m): 3:38pm On May 12, 2008
[size=28pt]THANKS JAVARULES. I'll like to have my I.T in Abuja. As long as I can get enough to move around(sustain.) Please can we chat at yahoo this evening probably around 8 P.M. Or rather send me a time u will be available[/size]
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javarules(m): 3:47pm On May 12, 2008
Naija Man, because u are not paying for the font size abi?, i know say if una dey pay your font size for be like this, Anyway please use smaller fonts

ciao
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by jennyjatt: 10:03pm On May 12, 2008
thanks alot
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javadevil: 10:07am On May 13, 2008
javalove, that's a good idea I also have something of sort but publicity killed it, I'll like us to have if possible monthly physical meetings and forum. venue will be arranged as soon as we all agree, I could provide some. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javalove(m): 2:08pm On May 13, 2008
alright then. have u joined the yahoo group. lets start from there first. The thing is that i'm very passionate about this group cos i v ben thinking about it myself. insha Allah, it would work!!!
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javarules(m): 2:46pm On May 13, 2008
I tx u all, i am glad that d idea sold, its tym we Nigerians learn 2 do collective work, we can't stand alone and hope to achieve much, I will like as many pple dt are interested to join d yahoo group asap and start posting messages, ideas and the likes, God is on our side,

ciao
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javaprince(m): 6:03am On May 16, 2008
SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH NETBEANS 6.0 AND 6.1[size=8pt]

I have been having serious problem with loading the Visual Java Web Faces for designing after creation. It only loads the JSP and Java Code views. What is the problem?? Has anyone used the Visual Studio .NET before, Issues of IDEs are hardly a question and u have to give it to them - Microsoft are very good at IDE designs.

However, am a Java programmer, so I need help on what to do. My system is a 1GB RAM, 1.86GHz(x2) Vista O/S and performance is very okay.[/size]
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javaprince(m): 6:06am On May 16, 2008
SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH NETBEANS 6.0 AND 6.1[size=8pt]

I have been having serious problem with loading the Visual Java Web Faces for designing after creation. It only loads the JSP and Java Code views. What is the problem?? Has anyone used the Visual Studio .NET before, Issues of IDEs are hardly a question and u have to give it to them - Microsoft are very good at IDE designs.

However, am a Java programmer, so I need help on what to do. My system is a 1GB RAM, 1.86GHz(x2) Vista O/S and performance is very okay.[/size]
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javarules(m): 9:25am On May 16, 2008
Has anyone used the Visual Studio .NET before,

Look I am not here to slight u or something, but when I hear anyone or anything compare Netbeans with other IDEs I get a bit personal wink

First, VS.NET lost because its not even cross platform, Netbeans runs on anything that is an operating system, beat that

So if you have a problem with Netbeans and u think M$ does anything better than anybody, go ahead and stick your guns with them, I betcha u never heard that Indonesian government is paying $170,000 to M$ because they use fake M$ products in the country, Nigeria is next, and then u wont be able to buy fake VS.NET from Alaba anymore, lemme see how u get the money to pay for VS.NET

Softwares have bugs, and if there's one software that's full of bugs its Vista, believe me M$ is trying to shift to what has been on Mac and Solaris since I was born wink and it wont be easy for him, before Win XP which is d next stable windows after 98, can u count how many Wins we have, NT,ME,98Plus,2000,2003, i see d same trends here man, Vista is another Windows ME

Your problem therefore is probably with Vista and not with Netbeans, try using another OS (I recommend Linux wink ) I use SuSE 10.3 and I gat no problems

Seeing is believing right? Here is a screenshot for you attached

Lastly if you are really a programmer, how do u cope with having to click 21 times to run a single program on Vista angry , just kidding

ciao

Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javalove(m): 1:11pm On May 16, 2008
@javaprince

While i gbadun ur style, i would suggest we stick to the topic and not to compare. we are java programmers and happy that we are. However, if .NET IDE is wack, that's left for .NET developers to trash out.

Our group is still young and what we should be discussing is how to make it better and stronger.

There are issues that needs to be trashed out.

No hating ooo just wat my honest opinion.

its java all the way
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javaprince(m): 1:30pm On May 16, 2008
Thank you for the reply to my blog.
My problem is this:

1. How do i move all my softwares and Documents to a new Linux system on the same system.

2. Is there easily accessible and functional versions of softwares to run on Linux O/S(I have the DVD of Oracle Linux and Ubuntu<<got it free>>wink such as Macromedia Flash, Fireworks and dreamweaver. Also I use iTunes and Corel draw.

3. When I create files on Linux such as word documents, etc. can I open the files in other Operating systems especially the most popular O/S in Nigeria Microsoft .

Lastly, I want to thank u for ur advice based on ur wealth of experience in the field.
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javalove(m): 5:27pm On May 16, 2008
Havent really worked on linux enough to be able to answe ur questions,

Lastly, I want to thank u for your advice based on your wealth of experience in the field.

u are always welcome
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by Ghenghis(m): 7:41pm On May 19, 2008
@Javaprince

You can work with your documents even from a windows drive , these days most linux distros (including ubuntu) as you to specify a mount point for your fat or ntfs drives
(don't hibernate windows before trying this, shut down) simply pick one and your windows partitions should be mounted automatically any time you log on.

generally you mount partitions with commands like
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/windowsC -t ntfs

You can run suns virtual box or VM ware etc. (virtualization tech) to use Macromedia stuff, i think thats the only real solution for those products, FOR NOW

If you create documents in standard (xml,sgml) formats or defacto (xls,doc) you shouldn't have any problem opening them in Open office or MS office.

All that being said, Linux has a slight learning curve. You might be more productive developing apps on a platform your very comfortable on.
Deployment is another issue entirely .

So please, go ahead and write your java programs on windows , then claim they can run on linux (9 times out of 10, they will) cool
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javalove(m): 9:50am On May 20, 2008
You can run suns virtual box or VM ware etc. (virtualization tech) to use Macromedia stuff, i think thats the only real solution for those products, FOR NOW

Gbam!
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javarules(m): 7:41am On May 23, 2008
we are using this opportunity to invite more people to join the JUG, tx
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javaprince(m): 11:40am On May 24, 2008
My reply is of two folds.

1. I don't like the yahoo - Nigeria Java group of a thing. Is so hard sending comments and reading comments. Even starting new topics is an herculean tasks.
The idea that a moderator has to read and approve every comment of an Individual is kind of irritating to me. Why don't we make best use of our Nairaland community - JAND.

2. Finally, to those that advised me to use Linux. I have been tryin to move over to it. After losing all my important files and hard disk in general(trying to install Oracle Linux 4 - bad bootin manager) , I am finally running Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista happily. I am still trying to load Netbeans 6.1 on it. So thanks. Despite the fact that I wept for losin my files. I have now spent more than 100 hours working on Linux.
Re: Nigerian Java Group : Jand by javalove(m): 2:47pm On May 24, 2008
i'm sure u know we av started working on that and there have been various suggestions on how to improve the JUG,

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm Giving Out These Tech Books / I'm A Computer Guru, But My Fiancee Is A Market Trader! / Where Can I Do Programming Lessons In Portharcourt?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.