Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. (4145 Views)

The Top 10 Strategies For Writing Winning Cover Letters / CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? / Cover Letters - How "Blunt" Should You Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. by Shinor(m): 5:15pm On Jun 22, 2013
[b]COVER LETTER
I remember I did promise to do a piece on cover letters. Contrary to what a lot of candidates assume, a cover letter is not a protective jacket for your CV.
Instead it is an advert for your CV and you.
A cover letter is even more USEFUL when you are sending your CV to an organization that has not advertised any vacancies.
All cover letters should:

1.Explain why you are sending a CV.
Don't send a CV without a cover letter.
Don't make the reader guess what you are asking for; be specific: Do you want a voluntary opportunity, or a permanent position; are you inquiring about future employment possibilities?
Tell specifically how you learned about the position or the organization — an advert in a newspaper, a web site, or a family friend who works at the organization. It is appropriate to mention the name of someone who suggested that you write unless the person is states otherwise.
2.Convince the reader to look at your CV.
The cover letter will be seen first.
Therefore, it must be very well written and targeted to that employer.Call attention to elements of your background — education, leadership, experience — that are relevant to a position you are seeking. Be as specific as possible, using examples.Reflect your attitude, personality, motivation, enthusiasm, and communication skills.
Provide or refer to any information specifically requested in a job advertisement that might not be covered in your resume, such as availability date, or reference to an attached writing sample.

3.Indicate what you will do to follow-up.In a letter of application — applying for an advertised opening — applicants often say something like "I look forward to hearing from you." However, if you have further contact info (e.g. phone number) and if the employer hasn't said "no phone calls," it's better to take the initiative to follow-up, saying something like, "I will contact you in the next two weeks to see if you require any additional information regarding my qualifications."
In a letter of inquiry — asking about the possibility of an opening — don't assume the employer will contact you. You should say something like, "I will contact you in two weeks to learn more about upcoming employment opportunities with (name of organization)." Then mark your calendar to make the call.

An example of a cover letter that can be adapted

1000 Terrace View Apts.
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 555-4523
stevemason@vt.edu

March 25, 20XY
Ms. Janice Wilson
Personnel Director
Anderson Construction Company
3507 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20895

Dear Ms. Wilson:

I read in the March 24th Washington Post classified section of your need for a Civil Engineer or Building Construction graduate for one of your Washington, DC, area sites. I will be returning to the Washington area after graduation in May and believe that I have the necessary credentials for the project.

Every summer for the last five years I have worked at various levels in the construction industry. As indicated on my enclosed resume, I have worked as a general laborer, and moved up to skilled carpentry work, and last summer served as assistant construction manager on a two million dollar residential construction project.

In addition to this practical experience, I will complete requirements for my B.S. in Building Construction in May. As you may know, Virginia Tech is one of the few universities in the country that offers such a specialized degree for the construction industry. I am confident that my degree, along with my years of construction industry experience, makes me an excellent candidate for your job.

The Anderson Construction Company projects are familiar to me, and my aspiration is to work for a company that has your excellent reputation. I would welcome the opportunity to interview with you. I will be in the Washington area during the week of April 12th and would be available to speak with you at that time. In the next week to ten days I will contact you to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely,
(handwritten signature)
Steve Mason

[/b]
http://www.career.vt.edu/jobsearchguide/coverlettersamples.html[b][/b]

1 Like

Re: Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 03, 2013
Thank you for this....but wat about fresh graduates like me who just finished NYSC with no work experience....pls help with a cover letter sample for beginners. God bless you
Re: Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. by Shinor(m): 4:17pm On Jul 03, 2013
@ Pinkyeyes. I used this particular sample because it was written with a fresh graduates in mind. The experience is based on previous roles not necessarily acquired formally
Everything you have ever done becomes useful - class rep, member of departmental association, church activities etc. It is now up to you to adapt your experience in these positions to showcase your skills.
This is one reason to belong to voluntary organisations. A lot of skills are taught there which can come in handy.
Re: Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. by phunmydahdah(f): 8:29pm On Jul 09, 2013
Good evening sir, I just saw your thread on cover letters and c.v's I will love to have a personal discussion with you on them especially cover letters. But Sir in the main time I will love to see a sample of your c.v. my email is funmilayo_dada@yahoo.com. thank you
Re: Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. by Jfe: 2:53pm On Jul 10, 2013
A food and beverage manufacturing company located in Ogun State (Lagos/Ibadan Expressway) requires qualified candidates to fill the positions listed below. Please send cover letter and CV to jegede.oluwakemi@yahoo.com

1) ACCOUNTANT

Responsibilities:

- Daily bookkeeping
- Preparation of bi-weekly and monthly financial statements
- Preparation of other key financial analytical reports for management
- Processing account payables and account receivables
- Enforcing company credit policy and ensuring collections are made accordingly.
- Processing staff payroll

Qualifications:

- Candidates must possess BSc/HND degree in Accounting from a recognized institution (with no less than 2nd class division)
- ICAN qualification (or in progress) is preferred.
- 1 – 3 years experience working as an Accountant in a Bank, Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) company, consulting or other relevant sectors.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel (formulas, V-Look ups) and common accounting software packages (e.g peach tree).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Above average computer literacy

2) PRODUCTION MANAGER

Responsibilities:

- Supervise all aspects of factory operations and ensure that set production targets are met.
- Supervise production workers and ensure safe and appropriate conduct.
- Monitor production efficiency and material utilization while ensuring that optimum output and product quality are achieved.
- Develop production weekly and monthly reports for management.
- Collaborate with technicians on preventive maintenance schedule and ensure that all machine breakdowns are promptly resolved.
- Institute and implement a production plan that ensures product availability to meet market demand.
- Liaise with Quality Control to ensure that all products and materials meet the required quality specifications.

Qualifications:

- B.Sc./B.Tech/HND in Food Science/Engineering or related discipline.
- 3 – 5 years experience working as a Supervisor/Production Engineer in a manufacturing facility.

3) FACTORY TECHNICIAN

Responsibilities:

- Provide technical expertise in the installation, maintenance, and repair of bottling line equipment, sachet water machines, pet blowing machines and other factory equipment.
- Perform work order maintenance, complex mechanical and electrical repairs, trouble shooting, and diagnostics.
- Monitor and ensure machinery is in safe working order, implement safety modifications and upgrades.
- Assist in scheduling major repairs for down-time days, lead installation projects, safety modifications, and up-grades.
- Install and modify new and used equipment, fabricate and machine parts as necessary.
- Train employees on new equipment and processes.

Qualifications:

- OND in a technical discipline from a recognized polytechnic or NABTEB/WAEC Certificate with credit passes in English Language and Mathematics.
- Experience with the repair and installation of bottling plants and associated machinery.
- Excellent mechanical aptitude.

4) BLOW MOLD MACHINE OPERATOR

Responsibilities:

- Weigh resins, colorants and other chemicals according to prescribed formulae
- Operate blow mold machine to produce bottles of different sizes and shapes in accordance with set production targets.
- Monitor and inspect quality of bottles produced
- Maintain production records
- Pack bottles for factory distribution

Qualifications:

- OND in a technical discipline from a recognized polytechnic or NABTEB/WAEC Certificate with credit passes in English Language and Mathematics.
- Excellent mechanical aptitude.
- Experience with the operation of Pet blowing machines is preferred.

5) FACTORY WORKERS

Responsibilities:

- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) as provided by production manager.
- Meet set production targets using assigned materials and within allotted shift time.
- Follow company health and safety procedures during shifts and while on company premises.
- Keep assigned work area in sanitary and hygienic conditions fit for food and beverage production.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Production Manager.

Qualifications:
- NABTEB/WAEC Certificate with credit passes in English Language and Mathematics.

6) MACHINE OPERATOR - SATCHET

Responsibilities:

- Operate sachet water machine in a safe and appropriate manner to achieve production targets
- Troubleshoot sachet water machine on minor breakdown issues.
- Cooperate with factory workers and other production staff to achieve assigned goals and objectives.
- Liaise with internal and external technicians/experts on equipment, repair and installation.
- Follow company health and safety procedures during shifts and while on company premises.
- Keep assigned work area in sanitary and hygienic conditions fit for food and beverage production.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Production Manager.

Qualifications:

- Experience with operating sachet water machine and other related production equipment.

7) BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT OFFICER*

Responsibilities:

- Grow company market share in assigned territories.
- Secure product orders by building professional relationships with customers and distributors.
- Collect data on potential customers within assigned territories and document same in market research form provided by company.
- Participate in other business development initiatives as instructed by management.

Qualifications:

- B.A/B.Sc in a Social Science/ Humanities discipline from a recognized institution.
- 1 – 3 years experience with marketing/business development
- Goal-oriented nature and a likeable personality
*Compensation for this role is totally based on commission.
Re: Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. by Odunharry(m): 6:20pm On Jul 10, 2013
J ife it better u create anoda thead so other nairalanders can see ds,tanx for the nfo
Re: Struggling With Cover Letters? Let's Crack It Here. by greatgeo(m): 6:46pm On Aug 06, 2013
Thank u sir for this very important info,its exactly one of the latter i have been trying to get but my question is how does one write a motivational latter for addmission say master level programme in a university in finland your urgent respose will be very much appreciated to my mail nathetelgeo@yahoo.com thank u again

(1) (Reply)

Has Anyone Heard About Dexter&heroes Consulting Ltd? / How Can One Become A Non-professional Cipm Member / Learn How To Generate Recharge Card Pin, Sell Airtime And Data From Ur Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.