Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,731 members, 7,955,778 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:47 PM

FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust (6970 Views)

Dickson Hoodwinks Jonathan To Commission Flyover - Sahara Reporters / Aregbesola Set To Commission Ejigbo High School (Pictures) / Buhari Sacks Chairmen Of 3 FCTA Boards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by nameo: 9:06am On Jun 23, 2013
F
CTA to commission 14 rail stations

Category: News Published on Friday, 21 June 2013 05:00 Written by Nasir Imam

The FCT Administration has said it will soon commission 14 rail stations across the federal capital city and some satellite towns ahead of the completion of the Abuja Light Rail system in 2014.
FCT Minister Sen. Bala Mohammed stated this at the presentation of the scorecard of the administration at the ministerial platform in Abuja.
He said the FCTA has signed a $500 million loan agreement with a Chinese firm, EXIM to facilitate the implementation of the project which comprises the design and construction of 42.2 kilometer standard gauge railway tracks, pavement ways, station buildings, bridges and culverts and communication and signals for Lots 1A & 3 respectively.
The minister pledged to take cognizance of the provision of pedestrian bridges in strategic locations in the city in other to stop the carnage of accidents on the expressways.
He said 7,500 persons will be provided employment through the newly introduced SURE-P-assisted taxi scheme introduced by his administration which has also rehabilitated the NYSC camp.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news-news/57411-fcta-to-commission-14-rail-stations

4 Likes

Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by nameo: 9:13am On Jun 23, 2013
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by taharqa2: 3:44pm On Jun 23, 2013
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by nku5: 4:00pm On Jun 23, 2013
nameo: pics of ongoing woork at Idu as at 2012

http://www.nanngronline.com_www.nanngronline.com/picture/abuja-light-rail-under-construction

See the one coming up behind my house at Wuye. This is just the platform for boarding. The actual station is going to be built behind it.

Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by mike404(m): 4:53pm On Jun 23, 2013
FRESH AIR EVERYWHERE YOU GO grin

3 Likes

Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by taharqa2: 5:31pm On Jun 23, 2013
nku5:

See the one coming up behind my house at Wuye. This is just the platform for boarding. The actual station is going to be built behind it.
Bros, plz post more Pics if you can. Others can also do same. I hv bn looking to get my hand on Pics on dis railway and that of Abuja-Kaduna unda construction.... Thanks
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by nku5: 6:32pm On Jun 23, 2013
taharqa2: Bros, plz post more Pics if you can. Others can also do same. I hv bn looking to get my hand on Pics on dis railway and that of Abuja-Kaduna unda construction.... Thanks

This is about 1km from the new platform I posted. I got talking to a chinese engineer who hinted that the tracks on top are for the abuja-lagos line while the lower tracks are to run from abuja-kaduna.

They need to speed up the work sha. Do you have any idea of the timeframe for completion?

Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by IGBOSON1: 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2013
nku5:

This is about 1km from the new platform I posted. I got talking to a chinese engineer who hinted that the tracks on top are for the abuja-lagos line while the lower tracks are to run from abuja-kaduna.

They need to speed up the work sha. Do you have any idea of the timeframe for completion?

^^^I'm a bit confused here undecided; if Abuja is where you interchange from Kaduna-Abuja to Abuja-Lagos lines (presumably they had enough sense to plan for one huge station for ease of transfer of passengers), then how come they're running parallel to each other......or are they heading in opposite directions?
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by IGBOSON1: 6:48pm On Jun 23, 2013
Also, would they use overhead electric cables instead of track current rails (as the pics suggest), or are the trains going to be run on diesel?
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jun 23, 2013
Would this run all over the country or Abuja alone
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by Rossikk(m): 7:23pm On Jun 23, 2013
Obiagelli: Would this run all over the country or Abuja alone
There is a national programme of rail network construction ongoing.

1 Like

Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jun 23, 2013
Phiksure fliss
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by taharqa2: 8:50am On Jun 24, 2013
nku5:

Both this Abuja Rail project and d longer Abuja-Kaduna Rail project are supposed to be completed in 2014. The Abuja-Kaduna Rail project is actuali meant to hv be completed EARLY 2014, but at almost 70% Completion rate, one is not very sure it wud happen early nx year; maybe d later part of d yr.... Thnks for d explanation and Pics; plz, if you hv others post them cos I need them for smtin
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by taharqa: 8:51am On Jun 24, 2013
taharqa2:
Both this Abuja Rail project and d longer Abuja-Kaduna Rail project are supposed to be completed in 2014. The Abuja-Kaduna Rail project is actuali meant to hv be completed EARLY 2014, but at almost 70% Completion rate, one is not very sure it wud happen early nx year; maybe d later part of d yr.

Thnks again for d explanation and Pics; plz, if you hv others post them cos I need them for smtin
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by naptu2: 9:55am On Jun 24, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^I'm a bit confused here undecided; if Abuja is where you interchange from Kaduna-Abuja to Abuja-Lagos lines (presumably they had enough sense to plan for one huge station for ease of transfer of passengers), then how come they're running parallel to each other......or are they heading in opposite directions?

2 projects. (1) National rail line (2) Abuja light rail (metro).

1 Like

Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by Nobody: 9:58am On Jun 24, 2013
Make we see am with our eye nor dey tell me stories
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by alex406(m): 10:03am On Jun 24, 2013
Good one there....this is a good one by the presidency.
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by Knight1(m): 10:09am On Jun 24, 2013
I know this place well..passes by ruga and karamajiji slums...they've been at this level for like a year.always showing the same thing. mscheeeew
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by naptu2: 10:14am On Jun 24, 2013
Background.

Abuja wanted to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games. There was also a rival bid from Glasgow, Scotland. Abuja had a better bid document and even the inspectors said that Abuja's bid was excellent (Nigeria planned to use the same facilities it used for the 2003 All Africa Games). President Obasanjo and General Gowon made a great pitch about using the games to celebrate Nigeria's centenary.

However, there was one problem. Abuja did not have a rail network, while Glasgow did. The inspectors stated that they did not believe that Abuja would be able to cope with the influx of visitors that would come to watch the games, because it did not have a rail system in place. Obasanjo smuggled in a proposed light rail system, but the Commonwealth Games Association were not convinced. Abuja lost the bid.

Government decided to continue with the rail plans and use it to celebrate Nigeria's centenary. However, the project was delayed because the National Assembly complained that it was too expensive. President Jonathan, who, as Vice President was in charge of Nigeria's Commonwealth Games bid, stepped in to resolve the problem and also proposed that there should be a national rail link between Lagos - Abuja - Kaduna, as part of the modernisation programme for the NRC.

The project is now back on course.

3 Likes

Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by gerald09(m): 10:24am On Jun 24, 2013
IGBO-SON:

Defiantly they will be running on opposite directions during the construction the get to a point where both tracks separate were u probably get 4 tracks.
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by AZeD1(m): 10:33am On Jun 24, 2013
naptu2: Background.

Abuja wanted to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games. There was also a rival bid from Glasgow, Scotland. Abuja had a better bid document and even the inspectors said that Abuja's bid was excellent (Nigeria planned to use the same facilities it used for the 2003 All Africa Games). President Obasanjo and General Gowon made a great pitch about using the games to celebrate Nigeria's centenary.

However, there was one problem. Abuja did not have a rail network, while Glasgow did. The inspectors stated that they did not believe that Abuja would be able to cope with the influx of visitors that would come to watch the games, because it did not have a rail system in place. Obasanjo smuggled in a proposed light rail system, but the Commonwealth Games Association were not convinced. Abuja lost the bid.

Government decided to continue with the rail plans and use it to celebrate Nigeria's centenary. However, the project was delayed because the National Assembly complained that it was too expensive. President Jonathan, who, as Vice President was in charge of Nigeria's Commonwealth Games bid, stepped in to resolve the problem and also proposed that there should be a national rail link between Lagos - Abuja - Kaduna, as part of the modernisation programme for the NRC.

Thanks. You are one of the few people who still keep me interested in nairaland.
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by Youngzedd(m): 10:43am On Jun 24, 2013
When will Anambra state have railway?
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by Raypawer(m): 10:48am On Jun 24, 2013
Rossikk: There is a national programme of rail network construction ongoing.

rail network? Apart from Abuja, kaduna, lag, where else?
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:23pm On Jun 24, 2013
mike404: FRESH AIR EVERYWHERE YOU GO grin
so, abuja is now 'everywhere'? undecided
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by joeyfire(m): 12:33pm On Jun 24, 2013
IGBO-SON:

Good question. I think that platform is to pick up and drop passengers going to lagos from kaduna on the upper track while the lower track will have a station/platform elsewhere for those heading to kaduna to embark or disembark
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by kross01(m): 12:39pm On Jun 24, 2013
naptu2: Background.

you are one of the very few who knows what a forum is all about & i respect you for that. Never attacking individuals but always attacking issues.
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by nku5: 12:43pm On Jun 24, 2013
taharqa2: Both this Abuja Rail project and d longer Abuja-Kaduna Rail project are supposed to be completed in 2014. The Abuja-Kaduna Rail project is actuali meant to hv be completed EARLY 2014, but at almost 70% Completion rate, one is not very sure it wud happen early nx year; maybe d later part of d yr.... Thnks for d explanation and Pics; plz, if you hv others post them cos I need them for smtin

Sorry no more pics o. I just snapped those two few days ago while taking a walk.
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by Okijajuju1(m): 12:55pm On Jun 24, 2013
Youngzedd: When will Anambra state have railway?

The day the governor stops using scarce state money to buy cars for his chief hommies... grin
Re: FCTA To Commission 14 Standard Rail Stations- Daily Trust by TabletMan: 1:49pm On Jun 24, 2013
wetin concern motorcycle with seat belt how will this rail construction affect the price of garri for market ?........... lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu's Problem With Buhari Continues / / Interesting Pictures Of ANAMMCO Enugu State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.