Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,549 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK (2517 Views)

£1000,00 N250,000 Deposit To Visit UK. / I Will Like To Visit Uk / Born In UK and never Aplied For Citizenship, but Want To Visit UK Next Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by igelomo(m): 11:28am On Jun 23, 2013
Visitors from Nigeria and other “high risk” countries in Asia and Africa will be forced to pay a £3,000 cash bond before they can enter United Kingdom.
From November, a pilot scheme will target visitors from seven countries who will have to pay the UK government a form of cash guarantee or deposit to deter immigration abuse. They will forfeit the £3,000 if they overstay in Britain and fail to return to their home countries by the time their visa has expired.

The controversial move by the UK home secretary, Theresa May, to introduce the Australian-style system reflects her determination to show that the Conservatives are serious about cutting immigration in the UK.

Ms May said: “This is the next step in making sure our immigration system is more selective, bringing down net migration from the hundreds of thousands to the tens of thousands, while still welcoming the brightest and the best to Britain.”

She added: “In the long run we’re interested in a system of bonds that deters overstaying and recovers costs if a foreign national has used our public services.”

The Home Office is targeting countries which have high volumes of visitor visa applications and what it deems to be relatively high levels of fraud and abuse
[url]h
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 23, 2013
some desperate people often pay much more than that, to these unscrupulous visa agents, so this will be an easy way out........ unless they would still have to go through the BS they are going through just to have the opportunity to travel to the UK.
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by babestell(f): 11:45am On Jun 23, 2013
Thats like 750K. No be small money at all. So na only politicians and the very rich who will be able to pay. people like me who save to travel are in trouble cos that 750K is like the whole travel budget!
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by justwise(m): 11:50am On Jun 23, 2013
MRbrownJAY: some desperate people often pay much more than that, to these unscrupulous visa agents, so this will be an easy way out........ unless they would still have to go through the BS they are going through just to have the opportunity to travel to the UK.

I think this will have real effect on people wishing to visit the UK, it will reduce the number,3000 pounds is a lot of money for many
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by Nobody: 11:58am On Jun 23, 2013
That was my thought Justwise.......after paying for ticket and other minor expenses, an individual will still cough out 3000pounds plus his BTA for travelling,l guess this will drastically reduce the quest for migrants to visit UK....Tough/discriminative policy from the British government.....
justwise:

I think this will have real effect on people wishing to visit the UK, it will reduce the number,3000 pounds is a lot of money for many
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 23, 2013
justwise:

ogakpatakpata: That was my thought Justwise.......after paying for ticket and other minor expenses, an individual will still cough out 3000pounds plus his BTA for travelling,l guess this will drastically reduce the quest for migrants to visit UK....Tough/discriminative policy from the British government.....

but bros, remember that the money will be returned if they decide to abide by the rules of the tourist visa they have been offered....so if they come back home in time, then they lose nothing.
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by justwise(m): 12:14pm On Jun 23, 2013
MRbrownJAY:

but bros, remember that the money will be returned if they decide to abide by the rules of the tourist visa they have been offered....so if they come back home in time, then they lose nothing.

Sure but not every traveler can afford the bond to start with.
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jun 23, 2013
^^^ thats true, but also many people (with the intention of not returning) will think twice before applying (if on top of all the money they spent on fake papers, they now have to fork out an extra ₦500K.
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by solomonwis(m): 12:26pm On Jun 23, 2013
justwise:

I seriously doubt this seeing the light of the day. The idea of paying £1,000 deposit bond by "high risk" countries was first muted in 1999 and nothing happened and now this!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1572949/Foreign-visitors-to-UK-need-1000-deposit.html
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by HAH: 12:31pm On Jun 23, 2013
I don't blame the UK government but our people that have abused privileges given, this means hustlers are not allowed, stay and hustle in Nigeria.

The bond will be used in deporting you if you abuse the terms of your visa. And also a cheap fund for the uk economy to use while under the bond. just imagine 1 million visitors from this countries in a year is equal to 3 billion pounds(750 billion naira). Infact. UK embassy will start to advertise visa soon.

Honestly to me is a welcome idea as this people have been so generous to our people over the years.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by justwise(m): 12:31pm On Jun 23, 2013
solomonwis:

I seriously doubt this seeing the light of the day. The idea of paying £1,000 deposit bond by "high risk" countries was first muted in 1999 and nothing happened and now this!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1572949/Foreign-visitors-to-UK-need-1000-deposit.html

I think it will this time with the current govt. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346756/Visitors-India-high-risk-countries-Asia-Africa-forced-pay-3-000-cash-bond-enter-UK.html
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by euromoney(f): 12:48pm On Jun 23, 2013
Nigerians??you'll be surprised some people wouldn't mind loosing 1million just to get the visa.some even paid more than that to agents..
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by solomonwis(m): 12:51pm On Jun 23, 2013
justwise:

I think it will this time with the current govt. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346756/Visitors-India-high-risk-countries-Asia-Africa-forced-pay-3-000-cash-bond-enter-UK.html

The labour backbenchers and the Asian community leaders protested the idea back in 1999 and I expect the same this time. Already the liberal Democrat Business Secretary is criticizing the policy.

I think the deposit bond will be discriminatory as some people will be asked to pay and others will not even in high risk countries depending on the ECO/ECM's discretion and that might be another ground for dispute.
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by claremont(m): 1:27pm On Jun 23, 2013
I'm not surprised that the Conservative-led UK government has decided to toe the line of the racist policies of the Australians. Americans, Canadians, Australians all come to the UK and overstay, why have they not been targeted by this policy?!

The ECHR will have the final say on this one.
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by solomonwis(m): 1:45pm On Jun 23, 2013
claremont: I'm not surprised that the Conservative-led UK government has decided to toe the line of the racist policies of the Australians. Americans, Canadians, Australians all come to the UK and overstay, why have they not been targeted by this policy?!

The ECHR will have the final say on this one.

You wouldn't believe the Britons and American rank top as illegal immigrants and even legal immigrants in Australia!

This policy will only make criminals more daring in gaining access/entrance to the UK. You need to ask where terrorists get all the millions used in terrorizing /tormenting people all over the world.

Deposit bond will not be a deterrent to people who already have a mind set of staying illegally in the UK, it will only deter people with genuine interest of visiting the UK and contributing to the GDP of the country.
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by justwise(m): 1:56pm On Jun 23, 2013
solomonwis:

The labour backbenchers and the Asian community leaders protested the idea back in 1999 and I expect the same this time. Already the liberal Democrat Business Secretary is criticizing the policy.

I think the deposit bond will be discriminatory as some people will be asked to pay and others will not even in high risk countries depending on the ECO/ECM's discretion and that might be another ground for dispute.

I'm sorry bro they are, those countries listed have their reputations, this is not about the ECO labeling them
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by adepojuot: 2:52pm On Jun 23, 2013
Yeeeeeeeeeee mogbeeeeeeeeeee,3000 pounds,how many of us on this forum can afford such amount??struggle guy like me cannot afford such money,even 110k south African repatriation fee I was unable to pay it,talk less of 750k,naaaaaa waaaaaaa ooooooooooo.but God why always me??
Re: Nigerians Will Have To Pay A £3,000 Fee To Visit UK by justwise(m): 5:57pm On Jun 23, 2013

(1)

Jos, City Of Captivating Landscape / 10 Most Dangerous Countries In The World / Which African Country With Good Job Opportunities Can I Relocate With 2million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.