Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,505 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Nigerian Language Etymology - Words And Their Origins - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Language Etymology - Words And Their Origins (1368 Views)

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo / 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Language Etymology - Words And Their Origins by Ajasnoop: 2:41pm On Jun 24, 2013
There are some words that are common to certain languages in Nigeria. Where do you think the origin of this words are and who started it first

e.g

Rice

Igbo - Osikapa
Idoma - Osikapa
Hausa - Shinkafa.

I am inclined to believe that Osikapa is a corruption of the word Shinkafa. as its more than likely the Hausas had access to rice before the Igbos and Idomas. Do you know the origin of Shinkafa or do you have any similar words that are related in other languages
Re: Nigerian Language Etymology - Words And Their Origins by Ajasnoop: 9:34am On Jul 18, 2013
bump
Re: Nigerian Language Etymology - Words And Their Origins by Ajasnoop: 4:19pm On Jul 24, 2013
bumping
Re: Nigerian Language Etymology - Words And Their Origins by macof(m): 6:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
Senseless topic....Hausa and Igbo have nothing in common
Re: Nigerian Language Etymology - Words And Their Origins by ezeagu(m): 6:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ajasnoop: I am inclined to believe that Osikapa is a corruption of the word Shinkafa. as its more than likely the Hausas had access to rice before the Igbos and Idomas. Do you know the origin of Shinkafa or do you have any similar words that are related in other languages

What makes you think people in northern Nigeria had access to rice before the ones in the south?

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Etiquettes And Protocol In Receiving Vip Guests? / How Do I Convince My Igbo Husband To Teach Our Children Igbo / Extremely Strange Wedding Traditions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.