Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,861 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. (1679 Views)

Please Help My Wife Wants Us To Wait 5 Years Before Our Next Baby. / How can a woman get her Flat Stomach Back After Having A Baby? / 23-Yr-Old Nigerian Marries 85-yr-Old German Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by ifihear(m): 11:30pm On Jun 24, 2013
The badly decomposed remains of an 89-year-old woman were discovered in her flat five years after she died, police revealed today.
Isabella Purves' body was only found after a downstairs neighbour noticed water dripping through the ceiling of her tenement flat and reported it to the local council.
Officers forced their way into her flat, fighting through the piles of unopened mail which had gathered behind her front door, before making the gruesome discovery.
It is thought nobody noticed Miss Purves was missing as her pension was paid directly into a bank account and bills were paid by direct debit.
Today, as detectives tried to trace the elderly woman's relatives, neighbours, pensioners' charities and politicians spoke of their horror over the tragic case, which one described as a glaring example of the country's fractured society.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197314/Woman-85-lay-dead-flat-years-noticed-missing.html#ixzz2XAx80eP4

The same UK wey say make we pay 3k pounds b4 we enta their yeye country..smh 4 dem
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by EfemenaXY: 11:37pm On Jun 24, 2013
Stories like these are common. She's not the first and neither would she be the last. It is unfortunate, but these things do happen - and when they do, you find that the body would have practically moulded to the floor, and would have to be scrapped off the floor boards. sad undecided

RIP to the poor woman though. Nobody deserves to die in such an undignified manner.
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by braine(m): 11:41pm On Jun 24, 2013
But how can someone live in a building and not wonder who or what lives above until some mysterious water from some dead body starts dripping?

Lol. It means the old woman didn't have anyone to visit her. She probably died of boredom.
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by ifihear(m): 11:44pm On Jun 24, 2013
braine: But how can someone live in a building for 5 years and not wonder who or what lives above?

Beats me..thank God 4 busy-bodying of our naija culture...such can neva happen here.
5yrs ke?? who sai
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by EfemenaXY: 11:45pm On Jun 24, 2013
braine: But how can someone live in a building for and not wonder who or what lives above?

Lol. It means the old woman had nobody. She probably died of boredom.

Because people over here value their privacy and tend to mind their own business.

You'll be surprised to know that the deceased lady, during her lifetime would probably not have looked kindly at strangers turning up at her doorstep to enquire about her well-being or why she's not been sighted for some time.
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by Sanboy25: 11:47pm On Jun 24, 2013
So her family/kids didn't try to call her or visited her for more than five years ?! shocked
I'm going to call my Mom right away cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by braine(m): 11:51pm On Jun 24, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Because people over here value their privacy and tend to mind their own business.

You'll be surprised to know that the deceased lady, during her lifetime would probably not have looked kindly at strangers turning up at her doorstep to enquire about her well-being or why she's not been sighted for some time.

And her family members? It couldn't be that bad. At that age, I believe she must have at least some who should want to meet/see/call her or something.
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by EfemenaXY: 11:54pm On Jun 24, 2013
Sanboy25: So her family/kids didn't try to call her or visited her for more than five years ?! shocked

braine:

And her family members? It couldn't be that bad. At that age, I believe she must have at least some who should want to meet/see/call her or something.

It is sad, but many of the OAPs (Old Age Pensioners) here lose touch with their relatives.

Everyone's in the rat race for survival and the communal system we take for granted in Naija / Africa is a luxury over here which not many people can afford.

You'll find that society here is quite unforgiving of 'old' people. Youth is worshipped and adored and people dread getting old. That's why many naija folk over here say when their time comes, or their bones weaken, dem go pack dia load go back home. At least they'll be surrounded with friends, relatives, grand children, great grand children, neices, nephews, friends-of-friend's relatives, etc cheesy cheesy

No one looks forward to being dumped in an Old People's Home.

2 Likes

Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by nbright: 12:18am On Jun 25, 2013
Sanboy25: So her family/kids didn't try to call her or visited her for more than five years ?! shocked
Some parents neglected and abused their kids both physically and psychologically so when the kids are opportuned to leave, they do so and never looked back.. It's good for parents to see their kids as a blessing both in the present and in time to come.

1 Like

Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by Sanboy25: 12:23am On Jun 25, 2013
nbright: Some parents neglected and abused their kids both physically and psychologically so when the kids are opportuned to leave, they do so and never looked back.. It's good for parents to see their kids as a blessing both in the present and in time to come.
Hum I guess you're right but it's still a pity for this old woman... her kids should have forgiven her at some point... undecided
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by damiso(f): 12:43am On Jun 25, 2013
Sanboy25:
Hum I guess you're right but it's still a pity for this old woman... her kids should have forgiven her at some point... undecided

Its possible she did not have kids.There was this episode of the hoarder next door I watched and the old lady was an only child.She lost her fiance in WW2 and never got married or had kids.She had no family so to speak as she did not even know the whereabouts of her parent's family.

@OP, sooooo sad.We really take for granted our extended family system.Its beautiful.A yoruba adage says Eni bimo omo lo ma sin, Eni o bimo omo la ma sin meaning Those who have children will be buried by children and those who dont have children will be buried by children.My mum had two aunties who had no kids but they were still looked after by their sibling's kids.She must have been a recluse as well though,there are loads of oyinbo (contrary to what we think) who are family people or have friends who would check in if not all the time but at least once a month.

Truth be said, extended family drama can be quite tedious but it does have its own beauty and uses.

1 Like

Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by ndukwejoe(m): 2:16am On Jun 25, 2013
this is mind boggling , it is sardonically lugubrious. it raises questions and begs for answers, what a life, very sad.
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by Connoisseur(m): 12:00pm On Jun 25, 2013
Five years and nobody asked of her, nobody missed her. apart from her children, she didnt friends, coworkers, fellow old people, church (mosque) members, account officer, landlord, and a host of other people she could ve dealings with.
Waiting for the full gist
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by Gudiza(m): 12:34pm On Jun 25, 2013
Efemena_xy:

True. Such miserable life they live.
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 25, 2013
Dumped by her relatives
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by braine(m): 3:10pm On Jun 25, 2013
Efemena_xy:

You'll find that society here is quite unforgiving of 'old' people. Youth is worshipped and adored and people dread getting old. That's why many naija folk over here say when their time comes, or their bones weaken, dem go pack dia load go back home. At least they'll be surrounded with friends, relatives, grand children, great grand children, neices, nephews, friends-of-friend's relatives, etc cheesy cheesy

No one looks forward to being dumped in an Old People's Home.

And I thought they really look after their old ones..
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by angelTI(f): 4:57pm On Jun 25, 2013
odikwa weird
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 25, 2013
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by armyofone(m): 6:17pm On Jun 25, 2013
so sad . . . I wonder why the pub and store closed to her didn't perceive any smell.
she wasn't living in a country home but in the city shocked and the building looked like a condo, everyone is so busy and forget to smell the roses.
RIP.
Re: Woman, 85, Lay Dead In Her Flat For FIVE YEARS Before Anyone Noticed. by EfemenaXY: 8:54pm On Jun 25, 2013
^^ Yeah it is.

Sad story though...

(1) (Reply)

Laptop Or Foam? Please Advice / LOL! Wife Faints After Seeing Husband With Girlfriend In Shopping Mall / "My Mother Had No Idea I Survived Her Abortion"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.